Conquer Club

Some Days Left to BREXIT

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What do you think will happen on March 29?

HARD Brexit
38%
SOFT Brexit
3%
NO Brexit
28%
DELAYED Brexit
31%

Total votes : 29

Re: 17 Days Left to BREXIT

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:17 am

Food for thought:
https://aeon.co/essays/how-did-europe-become-the-richest-part-of-the-world
How and why did the modern world and its unprecedented prosperity begin? Learned tomes by historians, economists, political scientists and other scholars fill many bookshelves with explanations of how and why the process of modern economic growth or ā€˜the Great Enrichmentā€™ exploded in western Europe in the 18th century. One of the oldest and most persuasive explanations is the long political fragmentation of Europe. For centuries, no ruler had ever been able to unite Europe the way the Mongols and the Mings had united China.

It should be emphasised that Europeā€™s success was not the result of any inherent superiority of European (much less Christian) culture. It was rather what is known as a classical emergent property, a complex and unintended outcome of simpler interactions on the whole. The modern European economic miracle was the result of contingent institutional outcomes. It was neither designed nor planned. But it happened, and once it began, it generated a self-reinforcing dynamic of economic progress that made knowledge-driven growth both possible and sustainable.

How did this work? In brief, Europeā€™s political fragmentation spurred productive competition. It meant that European rulers found themselves competing for the best and most productive intellectuals and artisans. The economic historian Eric L Jones called this ā€˜the States systemā€™. The costs of European political division into multiple competing states were substantial: they included almost incessant warfare, protectionism, and other coordination failures. Many scholars now believe, however, that in the long run the benefits of competing states might have been larger than the costs. In particular, the existence of multiple competing states encouraged scientific and technological innovation.

The idea that European political fragmentation, despite its evident costs, also brought great benefits, enjoys a distinguished lineage. In the closing chapter of The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (1789), Edward Gibbon wrote: ā€˜Europe is now divided into 12 powerful, though unequal, kingdoms.ā€™ Three of them he called ā€˜respectable commonwealthsā€™, the rest ā€˜a variety of smaller, though independent, statesā€™. The ā€˜abuses of tyranny are restrained by the mutual influence of fear and shameā€™, Gibbon wrote, adding that ā€˜republics have acquired order and stability; monarchies have imbibed the principles of freedom, or, at least, of moderation; and some sense of honour and justice is introduced into the most defective constitutions by the general manners of the times.ā€™

In other words, the rivalries between the states, and their examples to one another, also meliorated some of the worst possibilities of political authoritarianism. Gibbon added that ā€˜in peace, the progress of knowledge and industry is accelerated by the emulation of so many active rivalsā€™. Other Enlightenment writers, David Hume and Immanuel Kant for example, saw it the same way. From the early 18th-century reforms of Russiaā€™s Peter the Great, to the United Statesā€™ panicked technological mobilisation in response to the Soviet Unionā€™s 1957 launch of Sputnik, interstate competition was a powerful economic mover. More important, perhaps, the ā€˜states systemā€™ constrained the ability of political and religious authorities to control intellectual innovation. If conservative rulers clamped down on heretical and subversive (that is, original and creative) thought, their smartest citizens would just go elsewhere (as many of them, indeed, did).
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mrswdk on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:09 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
In other words, the rivalries between the states, and their examples to one another, also meliorated some of the worst possibilities of political authoritarianism.

:lol: :lol:

Europe? The continent that gave the world Hitler and the Holocaust - literally one of the worst examples of political authoritarianism ever seen?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby mrswdk on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:11 pm

Leaving that article's spectacularly blinkered and cherry-picked version of history to one side, the real reason that Europe got wealthy is that the glorious and clever UK industrialised and the rising tide of noble Britannia dragged all the pedophilic continental drug communes up along with it.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby waauw on Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:39 pm

mrswdk wrote:Leaving that article's spectacularly blinkered and cherry-picked version of history to one side, the real reason that Europe got wealthy is that the glorious and clever UK industrialised and the rising tide of noble Britannia dragged all the pedophilic continental drug communes up along with it.

I seem to remember China being a drug commune. Remember the opium wars?
Lieutenant waauw

Postby mrswdk on Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:57 pm

Yeah but China ended up full of opium because the UK forced it on them as a tool of colonial oppression. Continental Europe does drugs because they're all feckless work-shyes and the drugs loosen their anus for when they do all the anal sex.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby waauw on Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:30 am

mrswdk wrote:Yeah but China ended up full of opium because the UK forced it on them as a tool of colonial oppression. Continental Europe does drugs because they're all feckless work-shyes and the drugs loosen their anus for when they do all the anal sex.

Ehm mrs, I think Bernie's rubbing off on you. You sound just like him.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby mrswdk on Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:55 am

Take. that. back.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby GoranZ on Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:40 pm

saxy you might need to reset the counter :lol:
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
General GoranZ

Re: 55 Days Left to BREXIT

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:45 pm

The clock keeps going backwards - we're now as far away from Brexit as when this thread started!

55 DAYS

I STAND WITH THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby GoranZ on Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:27 pm

saxitoxin wrote:55 DAYS (second counting)

Fixed 8-)
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

General GoranZ

Postby Bernie Sanders on Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:49 am

saxitoxin wrote:The clock keeps going backwards - we're now as far away from Brexit as when this thread started!

55 DAYS

Ok, she can't dance. Any chick that has rightwing views are either fukd up nerds or like to be dominated by big black guys.
Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:46 am

No wonder the UK has a gambling app named after vaginal farts.
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby waauw on Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:11 pm

saxitoxin wrote:The clock keeps going backwards - we're now as far away from Brexit as when this thread started!

55 DAYS

You can change it again Saxi. Looks like we'll only have to await april 12th.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby mrswdk on Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:24 am

The people are waiting.

Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:24 am

mrswdk wrote:The people are waiting.

Why do they all look like carneys in between gigs?
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mrswdk on Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:32 am

Because you are a Remain traitor.

Eurostar from St Pancras disrupted for several hours as Leave protester makes it on to the station roof. The people grow weary.

Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby tzor on Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:50 pm

waauw wrote:You can change it again Saxi. Looks like we'll only have to await april 12th.

I'm really starting to hate the UK big time.
Look, I have a major release on April 14 and f*ck you UK Parliament for making us all have financial institution change freezes that fucking weekend.
Cadet tzor

Postby GoranZ on Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:17 am

tzor wrote:
waauw wrote:You can change it again Saxi. Looks like we'll only have to await april 12th.

Look, I have a major release on April 14 and f*ck you UK Parliament for making us all have financial institution change freezes that fucking weekend.

UK will probably change their mind few more times... it might not be the only release that will be postponed :lol:

General GoranZ

Postby GoranZ on Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:32 pm

Hmm, what do they want? Anyone has an idea? :shock:

UK lawmakers reject all alternative Brexit options

General GoranZ

Postby 2dimes on Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:18 pm

I wish I went to the sports betting room while I was in Vegas so my delayed vote would have been a winning bet.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby mrswdk on Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:58 am

GoranZ wrote:Hmm, what do they want? Anyone has an idea? :shock:

UK lawmakers reject all alternative Brexit options

The Remain Traitor MPs want to frustrate the process until the point they think they can get away with cancelling Brexit.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Re: 9 to 49 Days Left to BREXIT

Postby saxitoxin on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:14 pm

Just 9 to 49 days left to BREXIT!
I STAND WITH THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby riskllama on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:46 pm

tzor wrote:

can't you just pay her in cash???
Lieutenant riskllama

Re: 9 to 49 Days Left to BREXIT

Postby waauw on Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:28 pm

Brexit is like one of those long running Tv-series. It was fun at the start, but now they're just milking it for viewership.
Lieutenant waauw

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,