Conquer Club

Weatherforecasters and other pretend jobs

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Weatherforecasters and other pretend jobs

Postby KoolBak on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 am

These idiots really chap my ass :lol:. They're on the news endlessly pontificating, they're stuck up assholes in real life and they get paid a truckload of money. And they don't do SHOITE. And when they do, it's not accurate! WTF?

Example. Here, near Portland, Oregon, our terrain is very hilly. Elevations fluctuate 1000 feet with tons of tiny steep windy roads and many major thoroughfares are steep, slanted and windy, including the interstates.

So when we get snow...even a little....really fucks everything up. The ice is the real problem, but with warning and level heads, main shit stays open and only a nominal amount of Californians f*ck up their cars.

Here's my bitch. Normally, we get no warning. Last week got our first snow for example. Everyone caught off guard. Big problems.

So Friday rolls around. All the weatherpeople saying MASSIVE SNOWSTORM!! HIDE!! END OF TIMES!!! It was a normal grocery shopping day for me. Yep; couldn't get in the store. All stores were swarmed. Everyone immediately turned into a prepper. It was horrific. Caused mire problems than snow would have.

Guess what? Wrong again. No snow.

Fucking douchenozzles. How do I get a gig like that? Big paycheck, no actual responsibility or really anything to do. And I think they work like 4 hours a day? Gods.

What other career choices are there,like this?
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Re: Weatherforecasters and other pretend jobs

Postby waauw on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 am

It could be worse. Try watching CNBC.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby tzor on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:46 am

It's not an easy job, but in this case a false positive is better than a false negative.

If you say it's going to snow and it doesn't then the trucks ready to plow and ice the snow sit idle.
If you say it's not and it does then people may not be able to man those trucks in time to handle the riders on the road going along unsalted roads.

Weather can be very difficult to predict. Atmospheric temperature changes can drastically change whether it rains / snows or not.

You need to add two other factors to this ...
News reporters always like to harp bad news ...
A "false positive" on a snow storm actually makes everyone happy (except school kids). "We missed that one."
Cadet tzor

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:09 am

kb wrote:They're on the news endlessly pontificating, they're stuck up assholes in real life and they get paid a truckload of money. And they don't do SHOITE. And when they do, it's not accurate! WTF?

Sounds like my ideal job.
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby 2dimes on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:29 am

When I flew more often, I noticed a really good meteorologist could accurately predict wx up to six hours in advance. To be honest that's all you need to know to decide to wait to fly later.

I laugh at people like my mom-inlaw she loves talking about the long range forecast.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby KoolBak on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:42 am

tzor wrote:It's not an easy job, but in this case a false positive is better than a false negative.

If you say it's going to snow and it doesn't then the trucks ready to plow and ice the snow sit idle.
If you say it's not and it does then people may not be able to man those trucks in time to handle the riders on the road going along unsalted roads.

Weather can be very difficult to predict. Atmospheric temperature changes can drastically change whether it rains / snows or not.

You need to add two other factors to this ...
News reporters always like to harp bad news ...
A "false positive" on a snow storm actually makes everyone happy (except school kids). "We missed that one."

Dude....yer harshing my rant :lol: :lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby Symmetry on Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:18 am

Symmetry book recommendation;

Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson.

It's an easier read than the Devil and the White City, but has a similar theme, with a smaller scope- turn of the century America, and the hurricane that basically wiped out Galveston, Texas.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,