Conquer Club

Should the IRS be politically weaponized?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Should the IRS be politically weaponized?

Postby HitRed on Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:08 pm

The IRS can run an audit at any time. No congress needed. Keep it non political.

The IRS has an endless wealth of information on us from business dealings at the local, state and federal level. Sell on Anazon you get a 1099. Buy a car..dealership reports taxes. Payroll taxes are highly reviewed. Own a hotel..The list of taxes you play to the different entities is endless and they want their money. The IRS can cross reference just about anything. Also the endless lawsuits from Trumps business failures would have gone through scores of lawyers and the court system. He might be one of the most audited people already.
Captain HitRed

Postby warmonger1981 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:44 am

spurgistan wrote:OK, once we get done with the business of getting Trump and his cronies out of office for all the hilariously overt corruption they've done, let's look into this. Deal? We're generally agreed that Joe Biden probably shouldn't be the president. But first let's apply your stringent rules to the current administration. Which includes seeing where the hell Donnie's money is, which, again, would be required for literally any job in government except his, which is why customarily everybody has released them.

Can you please list his corruption? I didn't say we agree on Joe nor did anyone else so speak for yourself. Its customary not required. Big difference. If Congress want to make a law requiring a president to release his tax returns they can do that. So why dont they? Hell all of Congress should release their taxes. I'd like to see how Pelosi made so much money in Congress. And let's not single out a person to be put on the firing squad first. If anybody commits a crime I suggest they be looked into immediately. Not Trump 1st and then Biden. Do both at same time. Why would you go after one guy first but not the other with more damming evidence? You sound partisan which makes you look like a bias fool. I pitty a fool like Mr. T would say.
Captain warmonger1981

Postby 2dimes on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:19 am

Mr T does not pity random fools. He pitys the fool that messes with his van, because that fool is going to get a brutal beating.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby spurgistan on Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:55 pm

warmonger1981 wrote:
spurgistan wrote:OK, once we get done with the business of getting Trump and his cronies out of office for all the hilariously overt corruption they've done, let's look into this. Deal? We're generally agreed that Joe Biden probably shouldn't be the president. But first let's apply your stringent rules to the current administration. Which includes seeing where the hell Donnie's money is, which, again, would be required for literally any job in government except his, which is why customarily everybody has released them.

Can you please list his corruption? I didn't say we agree on Joe nor did anyone else so speak for yourself. Its customary not required. Big difference. If Congress want to make a law requiring a president to release his tax returns they can do that. So why dont they? Hell all of Congress should release their taxes. I'd like to see how Pelosi made so much money in Congress. And let's not single out a person to be put on the firing squad first. If anybody commits a crime I suggest they be looked into immediately. Not Trump 1st and then Biden. Do both at same time. Why would you go after one guy first but not the other with more damming evidence? You sound partisan which makes you look like a bias fool. I pitty a fool like Mr. T would say.

Joe Biden doesn't hold political office? You can't remove somebody from office if they don't have it. That's the imperative, both to punish corrupt acts and to make sure they don't get office. I'm surprised this is controversial. But also not.

The list of Teapot-Dome-shaming corruption endemic to the current administration is a bit too long for me to list on a coffee break. If you have some free NYT articles this month, I'd give this guy a read. Yeah it's opinion, and it's from a whole 5 months ago so it misses a whole litany of scandals, but here it is.

A reasonably comprehensive tale of corruption, incompetence, and woe
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby mookiemcgee on Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:46 pm

spurgistan wrote:
warmonger1981 wrote:

Joe Biden doesn't hold political office? You can't remove somebody from office if they don't have it. That's the imperative, both to punish corrupt acts and to make sure they don't get office. I'm surprised this is controversial. But also not.

The list of Teapot-Dome-shaming corruption endemic to the current administration is a bit too long for me to list on a coffee break. If you have some free NYT articles this month, I'd give this guy a read. Yeah it's opinion, and it's from a whole 5 months ago so it misses a whole litany of scandals, but here it is.

A reasonably comprehensive tale of corruption, incompetence, and woe

If you open NYT article links in a "private browsing' window you can circumvent the monthly article limit. Just saying...
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby Symmetry on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:12 pm

This has been interesting so far. The more Trump inclined folks are worried that disclosing his tax records will hurt Trump, so they need to be kept secret- that they hide something that could be used as a weapon.

The anti-Trump folk largely agree.

I'm largely anti-Trump, to be fair, but I don't think the pro-Trump peeps here are doing themselves any favours by arguing that it must be kept secret because revealing it would be terribly damaging to Trump.

Plus, ya know, he did promise he'd release them, and lots of other Presidents released their tax records for the purpose of transparency.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:21 pm

Symmetry wrote:Plus, ya know, he did promise he'd release them, and lots of other Presidents released their tax records for the purpose of transparency.

Lyndon Johnson didn't. Of the 10 wealthiest presidents in U.S. history, only two have been alive since the advent of the personal income tax and neither of them - Trump or Johnson - have released their tax returns. When you have significant assets there are greater complexities involved in the release of returns than when you're a loser at life who owes more in credit card debt than your net worth (i.e. Biden) and your tax return fits on an index card.

The Democrats want us to believe that Biden being a loser is something worthy of celebrating, while Trump being a winner is something worthy of shame. This is part of the Democratic worldview; men should use women restrooms and women should use men; losers are winners and winners are losers; good is evil and evil is good.
Last edited by saxitoxin on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby HitRed on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:23 pm

MookSpur, I tried the link. First word

Opinion
Trump’s Corruption: The Definitive List

After 2 years+ show me the court room evidence.
Last edited by HitRed on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain HitRed

Postby Symmetry on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:54 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Plus, ya know, he did promise he'd release them, and lots of other Presidents released their tax records for the purpose of transparency.

Lyndon Johnson didn't.

I did read your whole post, but when your argument is essentially "I remember Lyndon B John
saxitoxin wrote:

Lyndon Johnson didn't. Of the 10 wealthiest presidents in U.S. history, only two have been alive since the advent of the personal income tax and neither of them - Trump or Johnson - have released their tax returns. When you have significant assets there are greater complexities involved in the release of returns than when you're a loser at life who owes more in credit card debt than your net worth (i.e. Biden) and your tax return fits on an index card.

The Democrats want us to believe that Biden being a loser is something worthy of celebrating, while Trump being a winner is something worthy of shame. This is part of the Democratic worldview; men should use women restrooms and women should use men; losers are winners and winners are losers; good is evil and evil is good.

Or, ya know, Trump could just release his tax returns like he said he would. Don't you think it's odd that he won't? You tend to be a critical thinker here, but going back to Lyndon B Johnson, who as far as I know never promised to release his tax returns, seems like a stretch.

I'm not sure what you're going for here, but it doesn't seem like a strong argument in favour of Trump.

It mostly seems like an argument to look everywhere else but Trump, which is kinda suss.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Symmetry wrote:I'm not sure what you're going for here

Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Symmetry on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:00 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
Symmetry wrote:I'm not sure what you're going for here

Yeah, ok.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:04 am

HitRed wrote:Mook, I tried the link. First word

Opinion
Trump’s Corruption: The Definitive List

After 2 years+ show me the court room evidence.

That was spurgistan's post, not mine. I just quoted it to point out a way around the NYT paywall in case anyone wanted to read it.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby HitRed on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:39 am

Corrected
Captain HitRed

Postby Symmetry on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:34 pm

Well, this thread has been a bit of a disaster. I'd give it two thumbs down, but I recently lost one of my thumbs when the crowd got too raucous over my decision in a gladiator fight.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:13 am

Symmetry wrote:Well, this thread has been a bit of a disaster. I'd give it two thumbs down, but I recently lost one of my thumbs when the crowd got too raucous over my decision in a gladiator fight.

Corporal saxitoxin

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:00 pm

spurgistan wrote:
HitRed wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:
HitRed wrote:I would assume you already doctored them :lol:

Everyone's guilty to proven innocent. :roll:

On the contrary: we want to see the returns to see if it proves him guilty of credible claims against him.

You are pre-assuming guilt again. Prejudice.

I suggest you look up witch hunt.

So, there shouldn't be investigations? What rd is describing is how investigations work. If Trump didn't want questionable business ties investigated, he shouldn't have run for president.

I'm from Salem, I know witch hunts. Spoiler - the witches didn't break an established tradition of voluntarily releasing tax info, the kind of disclosure that would be needed for literally any job in the federal government except for the presidency. They were just young women (and occasionally men) who fell afoul of important men for probably super valid reasons.

Why do you think Trump doesn't want his tax returns made public?
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby HitRed on Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:13 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
spurgistan wrote:
HitRed wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:

On the contrary: we want to see the returns to see if it proves him guilty of credible claims against him.

So, there shouldn't be investigations? What rd is describing is how investigations work. If Trump didn't want questionable business ties investigated, he shouldn't have run for president.

I'm from Salem, I know witch hunts. Spoiler - the witches didn't break an established tradition of voluntarily releasing tax info, the kind of disclosure that would be needed for literally any job in the federal government except for the presidency. They were just young women (and occasionally men) who fell afoul of important men for probably super valid reasons.

Why do we all have made up names of CC?
Captain HitRed

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:36 pm

I don't.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby HitRed on Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:10 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:I don't.

:lol:
Captain HitRed

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:07 am

HitRed wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:I don't.

:lol:

“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Symmetry on Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:47 pm

Just a weird little thought I had,- if Trump had to choose between building a wall and releasing his tax returns, which would he choose?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby HitRed on Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:05 am

Symmetry wrote:Just a weird little thought I had,- if Trump had to choose between building a wall and releasing his tax returns, which would he choose?

Currently the wall is being built. I live in Texas and it's covered every few days on TV and NPR.

Currently Trump hasn't Released his taxes.

No choice needed.
Captain HitRed

Postby spurgistan on Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:02 am

thegreekdog wrote:
spurgistan wrote:
HitRed wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:

I'd put money on the trifecta of 1. He doesn't have as much money as he says 2. Business in Russia that he keeps telling us doesn't exist 3. Politically damaging manipulations of tax law (his reported billion dollar loss in the 1990's that could have allowed him to pay no taxes for a while)
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby Symmetry on Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:38 pm

HitRed wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Just a weird little thought I had,- if Trump had to choose between building a wall and releasing his tax returns, which would he choose?

Currently the wall is being built. I live in Texas and it's covered every few days on TV and NPR.

Currently Trump hasn't Released his taxes.

No choice needed.

Fascinating, but didn't really answer the question.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:50 pm

spurgistan wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
spurgistan wrote:
HitRed wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:

I'd put money on the trifecta of 1. He doesn't have as much money as he says 2. Business in Russia that he keeps telling us doesn't exist 3. Politically damaging manipulations of tax law (his reported billion dollar loss in the 1990's that could have allowed him to pay no taxes for a while)

I think #1 is probably the most likely. #2 is pretty well known, right? I don't think his supporters would care about #3. That being typed, I don't think his supporters would care much about anything.

That's a long way of asking if there is a non-political reason for Trump to release his tax returns?
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,