Conquer Club

Bernie gives the Uberrich free college

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Bernie gives the Uberrich free college

Postby HitRed on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:38 pm

If your Ivy league's $52,000 per year is just a drop in the bucket for your parents look no further than Bernie Sanders. This populist wants to give them another break in life. Free college for all. Totally debt free! I love seeing someone give a huge boost to rich kids. Soon they will make $250,000+++ salary and plenty of benefits. That's my kind of populist. Go Bernie go!
Last edited by HitRed on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain HitRed

Re: Bernie gives the Uberrich free college

Postby 2dimes on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:49 pm

Ok, I see what you're going for now. Thanks to your device, I thought that was a surname.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Bernie Sanders on Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:28 pm

HitRed wrote:If your Ivy league's $52,000 per year is just a drop in the bucket for your parents look no further than Bernie Sanders. This populist wants to give them another break in life. Free college for all. Totally debt free! I love seeing someone give a huge boost to rich kids. Soon they will make $250,000+++ salary and plenty of benefits. That's my kind of populist. Go Bernie go!

We now have Billionaires asking for a tax hike.

We give their children free education, so what?

The Billionaires know they have benefited from the backs of the working class. Not to mention the tax rates and all the loopholes they have been given by our Corporate politicians.

What do you think the uber rich going to do, move to Canada?
Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:06 pm

In all fairness, the rich and the poor would get free education... and it would be paid for only by the Uberrich.

I'm not in favor of this plan, but misrepresenting who the winners and losers are from this plan is worth addressing. The bigger fear I have that both Fox and CNN ignore is what this does to the stock/bond market. This would force a market crash in my view, and would likely lead to a recession. (sorry fake burn)

"To pay its estimated $2.2 trillion cost, its authors would impose a “Wall Street speculation tax” on financial investment transactions. "
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:17 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:In all fairness, the rich and the poor would get free education... and it would be paid for only by the Uberrich.

I'm not in favor of this plan, but misrepresenting who the winners and losers are from this plan is worth addressing. The bigger fear I have that both Fox and CNN ignore is what this does to the stock/bond market. This would force a market crash in my view, and would likely lead to a recession. (sorry fake burn)

"To pay its estimated $2.2 trillion cost, its authors would impose a “Wall Street speculation tax” on financial investment transactions. "

Stock market crashes don't cause recessions. They can be harbingers of a recession, but not the cause.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Bernie Sanders on Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:53 pm

Reccessions happen when the working class stops spending. Consumer spending accounts for at least 70% of the economy.

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:08 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:In all fairness, the rich and the poor would get free education... and it would be paid for only by the Uberrich.

Stock market crashes don't cause recessions. They can be harbingers of a recession, but not the cause.

I agree with you, that's why I didn't say the market crash would be the "cause". I guess you can read "lead" however you want but saying it's would be the sole cause was not my intended interpretation. Sucking 2.2 trillion out of the stock/bond market over 6 months would have an impact on the economy overall, beyond just what happens in the stock/bond markets. Companies and investors both know that run of 12 years or so has to come to an end at some point, and a market crash at this moment in history could push companies to get scared which in turn would shrink the economy and lead to recession. Add in trade wars on many fronts and this idea is a recipe for disaster (at least at this time in history in my opinion)

To bernie's last comment, everything is tied together. If stock prices drop, and those companies affected fear a pending recession they stop buying and start firing. This leads to less working class income and less spending.

It's all mute points though, even if dems secured both houses and bernie was president I still doubt a bill like this would pass. It's just a platform position that is pie in the sky... like saying mexico will pay for the wall. No one ever believed it (except nomad)
Colonel mookiemcgee

Uberrich

Postby 2dimes on Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:57 pm

I think Duke and I should go on a nice Holliday in Uberrich. Sounds nice as long as it's not octoberfest, the place goes nuts then. I bet there is a few good schnitzel places there.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby GoranZ on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:16 pm

Investment in education never hurt any country in the world, ever. Why would US be any different?

And you didn't take into account the rise of productivity. More accessible education will lead to more educated people and this will lead to rise in productivity since those people will have more knowledge.
From my point of view half a percent tax is not some astronomically high figure so this proposal will hardly lead to recession. It could lead to progress tho.
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
Brigadier GoranZ

Postby Bernie Sanders on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:41 pm

Don't be sorry for your ignorance Mookie. Your views of Wall Street being some savior of average Americans is downright silly.

Putting Fox News and CNN in the same sentence and some how comparable is too funny.

Now go away and find some poor homeless person to blame for the next recession, lol

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:48 pm

GoranZ wrote:

Investment in education never hurt any country in the world, ever. Why would US be any different?

And you didn't take into account the rise of productivity. More accessible education will lead to more educated people and this will lead to rise in productivity since those people will have more knowledge.
From my point of view half a percent tax is not some astronomically high figure so this proposal will hardly lead to recession. It could lead to progress tho.

I agree with all of this... long term it's great! Short term, not so much.

Forgiving existing debt does not immediately mean more people with degrees, or more productivity in the short term. These people with the debt already have their degrees and have made they way through the existing system already. Forgiving 2.2 trillion in debt is not the same thing as paying for future generations of students. Dropping a 2.2 trillion dollar tax on the markets over 6 months would in the short term be very painful... Why does this have to be retroactive? Students who have debt got into their situation of their own free will. I'd support making their loans interest free, or reducing them by significant %... but dropping them all to 0 overnight you think will help the economy in the short term?
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby HitRed on Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:15 pm

So Universities won't have any money to pay the teachers? Will teachers be Federal Employees?
Captain HitRed

Postby hotfire on Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:49 pm

HitRed wrote:So Universities won't have any money to pay the teachers? Will teachers be Federal Employees?

Universities have professors. They are usually state employees unless they are from a private college.
Colonel hotfire

Postby NomadPatriot on Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:27 pm

hotfire wrote:
HitRed wrote:So Universities won't have any money to pay the teachers? Will teachers be Federal Employees?

Universities have professors. They are usually state employees unless they are from a private college.

hitred asks about federal, response is they are State..
so no Hitred.. they are not Federal Employees..
Corporal 1st Class NomadPatriot

Postby hotfire on Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:51 am

NomadPatriot wrote:
hotfire wrote:

hitred asks about federal, response is they are State..
so no Hitred.. they are not Federal Employees..

lol. There's gold in dem there hills!
Colonel hotfire

Postby spurgistan on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:25 am

HitRed wrote:If your Ivy league's $52,000 per year is just a drop in the bucket for your parents look no further than Bernie Sanders. This populist wants to give them another break in life. Free college for all. Totally debt free! I love seeing someone give a huge boost to rich kids. Soon they will make $250,000+++ salary and plenty of benefits. That's my kind of populist. Go Bernie go!

Children of rich kids (like everybody your president has ever known) don't have college debt, because their parents paid for their college.
Think on it. Jared's dad paid $2.5 million to get his son into Harvard. You think Jared was paying for his own dorm bills?
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

Re: Uberrich

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:25 am

2dimes wrote:I think Duke and I should go on a nice Holliday in Uberrich. Sounds nice as long as it's not octoberfest, the place goes nuts then. I bet there is a few good schnitzel places there.

I'd like that.

Notice that Nietzsche never offers to take me anywhere.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby GoranZ on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:05 am

mookiemcgee wrote:
GoranZ wrote:

I agree with all of this... long term it's great! Short term, not so much.

Forgiving existing debt does not immediately mean more people with degrees, or more productivity in the short term. These people with the debt already have their degrees and have made they way through the existing system already. Forgiving 2.2 trillion in debt is not the same thing as paying for future generations of students. Dropping a 2.2 trillion dollar tax on the markets over 6 months would in the short term be very painful... Why does this have to be retroactive? Students who have debt got into their situation of their own free will. I'd support making their loans interest free, or reducing them by significant %... but dropping them all to 0 overnight you think will help the economy in the short term?

According to this article on Forbes the payments for the debt will require 10 years.
Student Loan Debt Forgiveness: Who Pays

Sanders will fund his student loan forgiveness plan through a new tax on financial transactions, which he expects could raise more than $2 trillion over the next 10 years. The tax plan will include a 0.5% fee on all stock trades, a 0.1% fee on all bond trades and a 0.005% fee on all derivatives trades.

Although it is not mentioned how the bill will be formulated I strongly believe that it will give boost to the economy even in the short term because the perspectives for the mid-term future will be promissing.
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
Brigadier GoranZ

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,