Conquer Club

Young people say no to drugs

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Young people say no to drugs

Postby bigtoughralf on Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:46 am

New figures show that the trend of young people swapping drug abuse for productive and healthy lifestyles is rapidly accelerating, with 41% of young Brits now completely teetotal:

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-04-19/why ... ng-alcohol

This is in stark comparison to older (55+ years) respondents, almost all of whom reported regularly consuming drugs (alcohol) until entering a stupor.

What is it that makes young people so much better at looking after their physical, mental and spiritual health?

https://www.unicef.org.uk/donate/children-in-gaza-crisis-appeal/

https://www.savethechildren.org.uk/how-you-can-help/emergencies/gaza-crisis
Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Re: Young people say no to drugs

Postby saxitoxin on Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:01 am

bigtoughralf wrote:New figures show that the trend of young people swapping drug abuse for productive and healthy lifestyles is rapidly accelerating, with 41% of young Brits now completely teetotal:

This is in stark comparison to older (55+ years) respondents, almost all of whom reported regularly consuming drugs (alcohol) until entering a stupor.

What is it that makes young people so much better at looking after their physical, mental and spiritual health?

they're geeks, no friends
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby ConfederateSS on Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:21 am

bigtoughralf wrote:New figures show that the trend of young people swapping drug abuse for productive and healthy lifestyles is rapidly accelerating, with 41% of young Brits now completely teetotal:

---------- Unfortunately, Not Across the Pond, in America....Where the Government, Schools, Just about every part of American life...From Birth to Death...Are pumped with Big Pharma drugs....Money, Money,Money for all the Drug Companies...... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:)
Corporal 1st Class ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby bigtoughralf on Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:07 pm

saxitoxin wrote:

they're geeks, no friends

Your average alcohol consumption must be -20 units a week then.

Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby mookiemcgee on Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:33 pm

ConfederateSS wrote:

---------- Unfortunately, Not Across the Pond, in America....Where the Government, Schools, Just about every part of American life...From Birth to Death...Are pumped with Big Pharma drugs....Money, Money,Money for all the Drug Companies...... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:)

Drug use (alcohol, illicit drug and prescription drugs grouped together) is actually been going down pretty significantly among youth in the USA over time. Alcohol use in the 30 and under group is down significantly from previous generations, though drugs use prescribed by doctors is way way up (ADHD and depressions scripts in particular).

So actually you are both right respective to what you were specifically talking about.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby 2dimes on Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:56 pm

Poor brewery stock holders must be panicking. No wonder Anheuser-Busch is experimenting with fancy new spokes people.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:36 am

Addiction to idiot videos is replacing addiction to drugs.

While it may have fewer physical side effects, I think the emotional effects may be worse. Depression and mental illnesses of all types are on the rise in the young, on a similar curve to idiot video consumption.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mookiemcgee on Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:47 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Addiction to idiot videos is replacing addiction to drugs.

While it may have fewer physical side effects, I think the emotional effects may be worse. Depression and mental illnesses of all types are on the rise in the young, on a similar curve to idiot video consumption.

It's really saying something that young people are choosing watching short video vs using highly addictive drugs... it certainly confirms there is a level of brainwashing or at least brain-numbing going on with our use of phones. Sadly there is zero will to make a change at the societal level. We are still fighting drug use, rather than acknowledging something more addictive has been invented and is taking over the lives of young people.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jimboston on Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:06 pm

The phone/apps today definitively f*ck with brain development.

I wonder if the potency/addictiveness of current drugs has something to do with fewer numbers taking them.

The opioids and some newer drugs (Tranq?) are really destroying lives.
Private 1st Class jimboston

Postby denominator on Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:32 pm

Okay boomers.

There is a lot of modern evidence linking alcohol consumption to cancer, in addition to the already known issues related to blood pressure, stroke, addiction, and of course DUI. More and more people are choosing to avoid alcohol because the pros no longer outweigh the cons.

As for the claim that depression and mental illnesses are on the rise, this is more an artifact of depression, anxiety, ADD, ADHD, OCD, etc being diagnosed properly in modern times as opposed to generally ignored for generations.
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

Postby KoolBak on Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:11 am

You should chill and have a drink, hoser.
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby jimboston on Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:37 am

denominator wrote:
As for the claim that depression and mental illnesses are on the rise, this is more an artifact of depression, anxiety, ADD, ADHD, OCD, etc being diagnosed properly in modern times as opposed to generally ignored for generations.

The idea that these are “being diagnosed properly” is amusing to me.

Sure… there is some percentage of kids who are being diagnosed and drugged who actually benefit from it and need it.

There is some percentage of kids whose brains are being rewired because of Apps/Phones… and many of these kids are developing mental issues because of this mass “experiment”. We really have no idea of the long term consequences of this exposure. I think my kids (18yo and 16yo) missed the brunt of this as I resisted phones till middle school, and prior to that they had some access to devices but it was limited. They seem well adjusted and get good grades and aren’t on drugs… so dr so good. I feel the kids who are 5-10 now are being experimented on by the big tech companies and the results may be horrible.

Finally…there is the last, and possibly largest group… of kids who are “diagnosed” with ADHD/OCD… when in reality they are just kids who don’t get enough physical activity. These kids get drugs to “fix” these problems they don’t have… and the drugs f*ck with them and ruin their lives.

Don’t tell me it doesn’t happen…. I’ve seen it.

Many of these kids who get drugs don’t need them… they need more physical activity and maybe some discipline.

Postby bigtoughralf on Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:20 am

jim's opinions > the diagnoses and prescriptions of hundreds of highly-trained medical professionals

Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:39 am

denominator wrote:As for the claim that depression and mental illnesses are on the rise, this is more an artifact of depression, anxiety, ADD, ADHD, OCD, etc being diagnosed properly in modern times as opposed to generally ignored for generations.

You're not completely wrong. If I was a kid nowadays, I'd definitely be called ADD and I'd get all kinds of extra bonuses. But in my day we didn't have such things. I was just called a bad kid and got the strap often.

On the other hand, I think I'm better off. When I was pissed off at the world, I'd sneak away into the bush with my .22 and murder innocent blackbirds and bullfrogs. I learned self-reliance and navigation skills and gained an appreciation for the circle of life. I've seen some of the poor kids diagnosed with ADD nowadays. Some are locked into "safe spaces" in their house, a concept which to me is almost indistinguishable from prison and only made better by the fact that Momma is probably gentler than Bubba. Some have their brains fried with Ritalin and worse mind-numbing concoctions. It's funny, if you give a kid mescaline or something that genuinely opens the mind, you'll go to jail, but pump him up with something like Ritalin that just turns him into a stupefied zombie and not only is it legal but the government pays you for it.

Sometimes I'm jealous of the fact that kids like me get treated better nowadays. But on reflection, what I got was better in the long run.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby jimboston on Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:36 am

bigtoughralf wrote:jim's opinions > the diagnoses and prescriptions of hundreds of highly-trained medical professionals

Yes. Because I only have a serious material interest in my own kids… and I don’t benefit in any way from these kids being drugged up.

The doctors, psychologists, school officials, and Big Pharma however do benefit. In some cases directly.

Follow the money.

I was chaperone to my daughter’s overnight camp/school trip which they both did in 5th grade.
This was like a 4 night trip in the Fall to a campground in Southeastern Mass.

I liked to chaperone because I was close and could observe the kids…. but because I’m a dad (and not a mom) I was put in a boy’s cabin. So I wasn’t “hovering” over my daughter. Plus they had plenty of mom’s offer to chaperone (there was a lottery), but they always needed more fathers. They actually wanted me on years my kids were no in 5th, but I declined.

Every night they had a jamboree thing, with singing and games and skits ended with dessert. Just wrapping up the day. At some point… I forget if it was the beginner or at a break time… they would say “anyone who needs medication please go see the nurse now”… and there was a nurse in the back who managed and tracked and administered any medication. Obviously some of this was antibiotics, or asthma, or “regular stuff”… but the vast majority was ADHD/ADH/Depression/etc. I used to say half the kids went up… and that was probably exaggerating… but no lie at least 1/3 of the kids had to go up.

I think the population would (if anything) be underrepresented compared to the population as a whole. It certainly was not biased in the other direction. It was a public charter school… so it was free, but acceptance was lottery based… and we had kids from several cities and towns in a 15-20 mile radius, some more “well to do”/suburban and two fairly urban and working-class cities. The racial make-up was fairly diverse as well.. some demographics were pretty mixed.

If 33% of the kids got medication… at least 25% were for mental/emotional/behavioral issues.

This is the “soma-fication” of our educational system and child rearing.

I also think many kids are fucked up today because the pre-natal / pre-conception even behavior of their parents. I personally know two people who have kids are on the Autism Spectrum. In both cases it’s the first child and in both cases the father was a heavy pot smoker before getting the woman pregnant. In both cases the guy (after becoming a dad) “cleaned up” his act and because more responsible… and as a result of that substantially reduce (if not stopped) smoking. Lastly… in both cases these parents have gone on to have more children and the later children don’t appear to be on the spectrum. There is definitely some relation to heavy pot smoking (of male while making sperm) and birth defects/child mental issues.

I was a fairly heavy smoker in college… and post college for a short while. However… after I got married no we started talking about kids I gave it up completely for over a year before we even seriously tried. I had read about the potential real between pot and child development in the 1990’s.,, today it’s pretty much accepted. I stopped for a year… 6 months to cleanse my body of THC; and then 6 months for new sperm to be produced. (The sperm you shot today were produced 6 months ago [if my memory serves].)

Postby bigtoughralf on Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:22 pm

So clinicians are over-diagnosing because they make money from prescribing drugs, but lots of kids have ADHD/ASD due to their parents' health behaviours.. and so clinicians diagnosing those kids with ADHD/ASD would be accurate.

Just another jim masterclass in having your cake and eating it too!

Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby mookiemcgee on Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:39 pm

Yeah this conversation isn't naive at all, i'm sure the only kids using adderall are the ones with an official doctors prescription cus kids don't share/sell their drugs ever.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jimboston on Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:26 pm

bigtoughralf wrote:So clinicians are over-diagnosing because they make money from prescribing drugs, but lots of kids have ADHD/ASD due to their parents' health behaviours.. and so clinicians diagnosing those kids with ADHD/ASD would be accurate.

both things can be true

Postby bigtoughralf on Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:41 pm

jimboston wrote:
bigtoughralf wrote:So clinicians are over-diagnosing because they make money from prescribing drugs, but lots of kids have ADHD/ASD due to their parents' health behaviours.. and so clinicians diagnosing those kids with ADHD/ASD would be accurate.

Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby saxitoxin on Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:19 pm

bigtoughralf wrote:
jimboston wrote:

that gif is hot af
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby riskllama on Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:56 pm

jimboston wrote:
bigtoughralf wrote:jim's opinions > the diagnoses and prescriptions of hundreds of highly-trained medical professionals

Yes. Because I only have a serious material interest in my own kids… and I don’t benefit in any way from these kids being drugged up.

The doctors, psychologists, school officials, and Big Pharma however do benefit. In some cases directly.

Follow the money.

I was chaperone to my daughter’s overnight camp/school trip which they both did in 5th grade.
This was like a 4 night trip in the Fall to a campground in Southeastern Mass.

I liked to chaperone because I was close and could observe the kids…. but because I’m a dad (and not a mom) I was put in a boy’s cabin. So I wasn’t “hovering” over my daughter. Plus they had plenty of mom’s offer to chaperone (there was a lottery), but they always needed more fathers. They actually wanted me on years my kids were no in 5th, but I declined.

Every night they had a jamboree thing, with singing and games and skits ended with dessert. Just wrapping up the day. At some point… I forget if it was the beginner or at a break time… they would say “anyone who needs medication please go see the nurse now”… and there was a nurse in the back who managed and tracked and administered any medication. Obviously some of this was antibiotics, or asthma, or “regular stuff”… but the vast majority was ADHD/ADH/Depression/etc. I used to say half the kids went up… and that was probably exaggerating… but no lie at least 1/3 of the kids had to go up.

I think the population would (if anything) be underrepresented compared to the population as a whole. It certainly was not biased in the other direction. It was a public charter school… so it was free, but acceptance was lottery based… and we had kids from several cities and towns in a 15-20 mile radius, some more “well to do”/suburban and two fairly urban and working-class cities. The racial make-up was fairly diverse as well.. some demographics were pretty mixed.

If 33% of the kids got medication… at least 25% were for mental/emotional/behavioral issues.

This is the “soma-fication” of our educational system and child rearing.

I also think many kids are fucked up today because the pre-natal / pre-conception even behavior of their parents. I personally know two people who have kids are on the Autism Spectrum. In both cases it’s the first child and in both cases the father was a heavy pot smoker before getting the woman pregnant. In both cases the guy (after becoming a dad) “cleaned up” his act and because more responsible… and as a result of that substantially reduce (if not stopped) smoking. Lastly… in both cases these parents have gone on to have more children and the later children don’t appear to be on the spectrum. There is definitely some relation to heavy pot smoking (of male while making sperm) and birth defects/child mental issues.

I was a fairly heavy smoker in college… and post college for a short while. However… after I got married no we started talking about kids I gave it up completely for over a year before we even seriously tried. I had read about the potential real between pot and child development in the 1990’s.,, today it’s pretty much accepted. I stopped for a year… 6 months to cleanse my body of THC; and then 6 months for new sperm to be produced. (The sperm you shot today were produced 6 months ago [if my memory serves].)

way to parent uber-responsibly, jimbo... =D> =D> =D>
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby jimboston on Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:28 pm

riskllama wrote:way to parent uber-responsibly, jimbo... =D> =D> =D>

Thank you. I agree.

(Don’t care if you are being sarcastic or not as it’s true.)

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,