Conquer Club

Should modding game consoles be illegal?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Total votes : 0

Postby Riao on Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:37 am

Recently, a large number of shops got raided for providing services that included installing mod-chips in gaming consoles.

Personally I feel that this is completely unfounded, as while a chipped console certainly can be used to play games that are not paid for, there are innumerable uses that are perfectly legitimate. I have chipped probably 20 or so Xboxes all told (for friends and family mostly, some of which I was paid for, but most were done for free). For myself, gaming had nothing to do with the modifications, other than playing old arcade games with an installed MAME emulator. When I first started modding Xboxes my intention was to stream DivX movies from my PC. Now with XBMC an Xbox becomes a full featured media center, and is capable of playing any format that I can play on my PC. (http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/info_screens.htm for an explanation of what this is).

Here is a link that goes much farther into the issue:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=615575&st=0

This only touches the surface of what a chipped console can do. I am curious to know what you guys think about the issue.
Corporal Riao

Re: Should modding game consoles be illegal?

Postby 2dimes on Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:23 am

Riao wrote:Recently, a large number of shops got raided for providing services that included installing mod-chips in gaming consoles.

Personally I feel that this is completely unfounded, as while a chipped console certainly can be used to play games that are not paid for, there are innumerable uses that are perfectly legitimate.

Like watching movies that are not paid for.
Corporal 2dimes

Re: Should modding game consoles be illegal?

Postby Riao on Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:26 am

2dimes wrote:
Riao wrote:Recently, a large number of shops got raided for providing services that included installing mod-chips in gaming consoles.

Personally I feel that this is completely unfounded, as while a chipped console certainly can be used to play games that are not paid for, there are innumerable uses that are perfectly legitimate.

Like watching movies that are not paid for.

Or movies that I DID pay for, ripped myself and keep on the larger HDD I installed in the 'Box. Just like I do with games that I pay for.
Corporal Riao

Postby 2dimes on Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:30 am

I'm just jealous I can't afford to mod something to steal movies and game with.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:43 am

*hides modded Xbox and Wii*

modding is bad, mkay.... O:)
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Dancing Mustard on Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:40 am

So, what else can you do with this 'modding' malarky? Emulated old-skool arcade games are cool; but what other delightful possibilities does the enterprise provide?
Wayne wrote:Wow, with a voice like that Dancing Mustard must get all the babes!

Garth wrote:Yeah, I bet he's totally studly and buff.
Corporal Dancing Mustard

Postby 0ojakeo0 on Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:47 am

u can play any game? ho do u mod it
hecter wrote:Hey... If your donkey eats my roosters feet, that means I have two feet of my cock in your ass.
Corporal 1st Class 0ojakeo0

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:49 am

0ojakeo0 wrote:u can play any game? ho do u mod it

http://www.modchips.com

Postby cawck mongler on Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:57 am

You can't effectively enforce it, so no it shouldn't be illegal.
Sergeant cawck mongler

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:59 am

cawck mongler wrote:You can't effectively enforce it, so no it shouldn't be illegal.

well, it is stealing games

Postby cawck mongler on Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:21 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:
cawck mongler wrote:You can't effectively enforce it, so no it shouldn't be illegal.

WELL okay, it should be legal, but it would just be another bullshit law that no one can enforce.
Sergeant cawck mongler

Postby vtmarik on Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:11 pm

Yeah, and I can record movies that I didn't buy with a VCR, but the VCR was deemed legal by the Supreme Court.

How is it different, on a fundamental level?
Initiate discovery! Fire the Machines! Throw the switch Igor! THROW THE F***ING SWITCH!
Cadet vtmarik

Postby Riao on Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:22 pm

Dancing Mustard wrote:So, what else can you do with this 'modding' malarky? Emulated old-skool arcade games are cool; but what other delightful possibilities does the enterprise provide?

Browse YouTube videos, SHOUTcast radio stations, look up movie titles on IMDB, I have about 2 dozen user-created maps for Halo and Halo2 installed, and other user created maps for many other games, there are emulators for NES SNES Genesis SMS PS1 Commodore 64 etc, ported oldschool PC games like the first 3 Quake titles, Decent, etc, integrated UI for XLink Kai (a tunneling app used to connect system-link games over the internet), the list goes on and on.
Corporal Riao

Postby Huckleberryhound on Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:23 pm

By your rational, murder, rape, and heroin use shouldn't be illegal either.

I have no console, and play all my games on PC (which makes playing F.E.A.R online a bit of a pain in the ass, cheating fuckers :evil: ), so i have no opinion on this matter.
Corporal Huckleberryhound

Postby Riao on Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:28 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:

It's only stealing games if you use it to steal games. Simply having a mod-chip installed does not necessarily mean that the console will now be used for stealing games. To quote from the article I linked to above:
I look at modding as an act of expression and something someone does to expand their own knowledge and use of a system. It can be an exploratory learning experience, and yes it can also be used to do illegal things. Compare a modchip to a knife: In the hands of a sculptor a knife could create beautiful wood carvings, in the hands of a chef it could help create culinary masterpieces, it can keep you alive in the woods, and it can protect you in dangerous situations, but in the hands of a criminal it can also be used to destroy property or cause bodily damage. Much like a knife, a modchip's usage is very much determined by the intentions of it's user.
Corporal Riao

Postby hecter on Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:36 pm

Well, I have a soft-mod on my box which I can use to play ripped games and control a few other visual features of my box, including the LED. I like it. Think it's cool.

I don't think it should be illegal. You should be able to do what ever you want within the confines of the law with your property. The gaming console is your property, because you purchased it. If you want to mod it, fine. Go ahead. As long as you don't use it to do illegal things, such as stealing games. Computers can be used to steal. So do you go and outlaw computers? NO!! You try to catch the hackers that do it, and take preventative measures to make sure it doesn't happen again.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Riao on Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:57 pm

Well said.

It's not like I have to agree to a licensing agreement like with Windows. As far as I'm concerned a game console is legally in the same ballbark as a toaster. I pay for it and it's mine to do with as I please, as long as I don't use it for illegal activities.
Corporal Riao

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:06 pm

Riao wrote:Well said.

It's not like I have to agree to a licensing agreement like with Windows. As far as I'm concerned a game console is legally in the same ballbark as a toaster. I pay for it and it's mine to do with as I please, as long as I don't use it for illegal activities.
\

of course modding is legal, but the whole point of it is to download illegal games. Not getting those games is kinda like buying a paintbrush, but not buying the paint.

Postby Riao on Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:40 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:\

of course modding is legal, but the whole point of it is to download illegal games. Not getting those games is kinda like buying a paintbrush, but not buying the paint.

My whole point of this thread was that illegal games is not the whole point of modifying a console. I've already given many examples of reasons to mod that do not involve illegal activities. I can give more if you like.
Corporal Riao

Postby Hitman079 on Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:25 pm

maybe you're the only one against illegal gaming, because apparently "1" (probably you) said yes, it is wrong, and 13 others said no, it's not. i personally have no problem with it, since the people profiting from music, games, etc. have not been thrown onto the streets because of LimeWire or YouTube.
Cook Hitman079

Postby static_ice on Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:31 pm

Hitman079 wrote:maybe you're the only one against illegal gaming, because apparently "1" (probably you) said yes, it is wrong, and 13 others said no, it's not. i personally have no problem with it, since the people profiting from music, games, etc. have not been thrown onto the streets because of LimeWire or YouTube.

but the internet caused elton john to start bitching :wink:
R.I.P. Chef
Sergeant static_ice

Postby kalishnikov on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:36 pm

Absolutely not. Granted there are legal ramifications to copyright infringement, however in most places it's perfectly legal to make a back-up copy of any software you own legal (games, movies, whatever). The problem being, especially with games, you can't play it on an un-modded system.

Example, my little brother is 14 and has no respect for others' things. When I had my modded regular X-Box, I'd burn copies of all my games so he wouldn't destroy the originals (which of course are expensive) by leaving them out/scratching them up. Perfectly legal.

And of course I'd never have it modded so I could run an emulator and have 1 dvd with over a thousand old NES and arcade games... Never....

Regardless, you need the mod chip to perform a perfectly legal action. Outlawing them would be like prohibiting cigarette lighters because people can also use them to smoke pot or set off bombs. Just because some use them to an illegal end doesn't mean they should be banned.
Sergeant 1st Class kalishnikov

Postby Riao on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:47 pm

Hitman079 wrote:maybe you're the only one against illegal gaming, because apparently "1" (probably you) said yes, it is wrong, and 13 others said no, it's not. i personally have no problem with it, since the people profiting from music, games, etc. have not been thrown onto the streets because of LimeWire or YouTube.

Was this directed at me? Assuming it was, of course I voted that it shouldn't be illegal. As I stated in my opening post, I've modded somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 consoles for friends and family. I'm not even personally against illegal gaming, although I don't do it (unless you count the emulators for outdated systems).
Corporal Riao

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,