Conquer Club

Help Ambrose with his summer reading

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Help Ambrose with his summer reading

Postby OnlyAmbrose on Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:42 am

Alright. I was supposed to read two books over the summer for Humanities next year but I didn't, and I really don't want to spend my final days of summer reading.

Can someone please summarize the plot, themes, and motifs of Lord of the Flies and Five People you Meet in Heaven?

Thanks in advance.
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
Corporal 1st Class OnlyAmbrose

Postby misterman10 on Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:43 am

sparknotes.com

I've never used it but I know about it :D
Pleasant Chaps still suck cock.

Yakuza power.
Major misterman10

Postby lord twiggy1 on Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:46 am

ya just go there, get the notes the write them over in your own words so you dont get accused for plagerizm(sp?)
Back in Black
'Cause I'm back/Yes, I'm back/Well, I'm back/Yes, I'm back/Well, I'm back, back/
Well I'm back in black/Yes, I'm back in black

That's right, I'M BACK! hopefully to stay this time!
Cook lord twiggy1

Location: at exacltly 15 degrees N lattitud and...Ahh who the hell am i kidding I have no idea

Postby Hitman079 on Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:16 am

a person of your intellectual aptitude reading books like that? wow :?
anyhoo, check out wikipedia..they definitely will have an article on Lord of the Flies, as will sparknotes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Peopl ... _in_Heaven
i didn't read this book (i found out after i watched the TV movie 3 years ago), but i faintly remember it. an old man name Edward dies and goes to heaven, and meets 5 people whose lives he had changed. i believe the first was a man that Edward had inadvertently killed by getting him run over, or somethng..the second was his commanding officer in WW2; i believe this guy was killed my land mines, the next is Ruby, the person the pier amusement park he worked at was named after, his wife, and a Japanese or Filipino girl he killed when torching a house in WW2..
Cook Hitman079

Re: Help Ambrose with his summer reading

Postby strike wolf on Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:17 am

OnlyAmbrose wrote:Alright. I was supposed to read two books over the summer for Humanities next year but I didn't, and I really don't want to spend my final days of summer reading.

Can someone please summarize the plot, themes, and motifs of Lord of the Flies and Five People you Meet in Heaven?

Thanks in advance.

Lord of the Flies: Group of kids get stranded on an island during WWII and must learn to live together. Not long after they have arrived, talk about "the beast" begin to appear and though it starts off as just simple nightmares of the younger kids it quickly grows and becomes one of the primary concerns for the islanders. The main character of the story is Ralph and because he is one of the oldest and the one with the conch he becomes the leader. Ralph being the logical type realizes that their best chances of survival are to be rescued works out a plan with the other kids to start up a fire on top of the large flat topped mountain to attract boats. Another important character in the story is Jack, who was the leader of the boy's choir and ran against Ralph to become leader and later became a hunter and led a team of fellow hunters to kill the wild boars on the island, however Jack does not take orders from Ralph well and goes by what he thinks is right, even at one point letting the fire go out (which he promised that he would maintain) so that he and his fellow hunters could remain on the hunt. As it would happen, while the fire was out, a boat came by and when Ralph and the others had failed to get their attention and realized that the fire was out, an argument broke out between Jack and Ralph fueling already mounting tension between them. Another important character is Piggy, who was with Ralph when he found the conch. Piggy is the nickname given to him by the other kids on the island because of his weight, and out of all the survivors, he is the smartest and often seen giving advice to Ralph (such as blowing the conch to summon the others and starting the fire.) However, Piggy is a shy person and because of this is not a natural leader usually reduced to staying in the background rather than taking the forefront. The final character to talk about is Simon. Simon is one of the quieter kids and the first one to discover the true nature of "the beast", which is actually the symbol for the combined weaknesses of the kids (fear, jealousy, arrogance), however as he goes back to tell the group this he himself is mistaken for the beast and killed.

As time goes by on the island, things grow worse and worse. Fear of the beast reaches an all-time highs as a "confirmed sighting" at the top of the mountain (actually a dead man in a parachute) has everyone panicking and Ralph decides that they should no longer build the fire on the mountain but instead on the beach. At the same time, Jack and his hunters are growing more and more unstable. As tensions grow, Jack begins to make offerings to the beast by leaving the slain boar's head on a pike. At the same time, his relationship with Ralph worsens as rescue seems less and less likely and he convinces his hunters of the same. Eventually during a meeting, Jack announces that he and his hunters would seperate themselves from the rest of them and take many of the other big kids with them.

With the tribe seperated and more and more of the survivors becoming unhappy, the decisions that Ralph and Piggy must make become more important while the more carefree lifestyle of the hunters becomes more favorable to the older kids. As the book nears it's end it also becomes clear that Jack and the hunters have become unstable and even engage on a hunt to kill Ralph and eat him, setting up a massive escape for Ralph and the death of Piggy. In the end, Jack sets the forest on fire to smoke Ralph out killing most of his resources with it and the fire attracts a nearby British ship to come to their rescue.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby Hitman079 on Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:19 am

i sincerely want to help out ambrose, and you've outdone me :oops:
Cook Hitman079

Postby Kid_A on Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:30 am

OnlyAmbrose wrote:Alright. I was supposed to read two books over the summer for Humanities next year but I didn't, and I really don't want to spend my final days of summer reading.

Thanks in advance.

ive heard cliff notes are very helpful in your case. never used em, but good luck :D
Major Kid_A

Postby Kid_A on Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:30 am

Thanks in advance.

ive heard cliff notes are very helpful in your case. never used em, but good luck :D

you can find them at just about any bookstore
Major Kid_A

Postby DeCaptain on Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:48 am

like it was said before sparknotes or cliffnotes are probably your best bet. i can sympathize with ya having found out 3 and a 1/2 weeks before school started that i was stuck in a class i tried to drop. leaving me very little time to read and annotate 3 books :lol:
Corporal 1st Class DeCaptain

Postby Simonov on Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:08 am

OnlyAmbrose wrote:Lord of the Flies

you have a movie by this name so rent it.it will be probablly faster then reading the book.look on youtube also.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100054/

you can also listen to iron maiden song from X factor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TxiTjtFuxM

-lyrics:

I don't care for this world anymore
I just want to live my own fantasy
Fate has brought us to these shores
What was meant to be is now happening

I've found that I like this living in danger
Living on edge it makes feel as one
Who cares now what's right or wrong,
it's reality
Killing so we survive
Wherever we may roam
Wherever we may hide
We've got to get away

I don't want existence to end
We must prepare ourselves for the elements
I just want to feel like we're strong
We don't need a code of morality

I like all the mixed emotion and anger
It brings out the animal the power you can feel
And feeling so high on this much adrenalin
Excited but scary to believe what we've become

Saints and sinners
Something within us
We are lord of flies

Saints and sinners
Something willing us
To be lord of the flies
Corporal 1st Class Simonov

Postby mandalorian2298 on Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:18 am

Lord of the Flies
Time frame is WWII.
Plain crashes on a deserted Island.
A bunch of kids survive.
They try to start a civilized society.
They find that it is more fun to kill those who argue then to debate with them.
Soon, there is only one guy who argues left alive, so they set the forest on fire to draw him out.
Crew of a warship sees the fire, comes to the island and rescues the kids.

And the moral of the story is (in the wise words of Sledge Hammer): "Violence solves everything." 8)
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Talapus wrote:I'm far more pissed that mandy and his thought process were right from the get go....damn you mandy.
Lieutenant mandalorian2298

Postby daddy1gringo on Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:30 am

Haven't read "5 People..." but strikewolf's summary of Lord of the flies is pretty good. A couple of things to add. The book demonstrates the author's philosophy that people are basically evil and it is society and civilization that keep the evil under control. Ralph symbolizes healthy government, the author mentions that he has the something "that is true leadership." That something was like strength, or kindness, or both, I don't remember (I read it in my senior year of High school, 30 years ago) Piggy symbolizes knowledge and technology. His glasses are used to start the fire, and eventually get stolen and hung on Jack's belt. I'm not sure what Jack symbolizes, but it is something like the military or man's warlike instincts. The conch shell symbolizes order: it is used to call them together for meetings, and in those meetings whoever holds the conch "has the floor." The title (you probably know that "lord of the flies" is the translation of the semitic "beelzebub" which Jesus uses to refer to the devil) refers to what Simon finds, the pig's head on a pole, several days old and now surrounded by a cloud of flies. Obviously it symbolizes the evil in man. Simon, I think, symbolizes faith, or religion. So anyway, when Jack and his crew get out of the control of Ralph, they regress to savages and become destructive.

I highly recommend actually reading it when you get the chance. You'll enjoy it.

I debated whether I should help out or not. Next time, stop playing on the computer so much and do your homework! :wink:
Lieutenant daddy1gringo

Location: Connecticut yankee expatriated in Houston, Texas area, by way of Isabela, NW PR

Postby salvadevinemasse on Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:39 pm

Lord of the flies has a movie out.. I don't know if anyone already said that or not? Its pretty true compared to the book from what I've caught..
"angel by heart....mistress dressed sexy by night....and by day..just a cool person i guess" By BlueReaper

cawck mongler wrote:Your only option is to quit and become an anti-American Nazi that plays risk.

~*Salva*~
Cadet salvadevinemasse

Postby dustn64 on Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:31 pm

Im actually reading lord of the flies right now in school. It is pretty good so far, but I am only on chapter one and I have to read two and three by monday.
Sergeant 1st Class dustn64

Postby Arbustos on Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:33 pm

On Lord of the Flies, what they said. Also important to note is that the Naval officer who rescues them isn't surprised or phased that two boys died on the island, i.e., in war, adults are no better than children.

I think that's the point my 9th grade teacher made, but it's been two years, so meh :)

Or you could just watch the SpongeBob episode involving the Magic Conch. The morals remain the same :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class Arbustos

Postby daddy1gringo on Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:54 pm

Arbustos wrote:On Lord of the Flies, what they said. Also important to note is that the Naval officer who rescues them isn't surprised or phased that two boys died on the island, i.e., in war, adults are no better than children.

I think that's the point my 9th grade teacher made, but it's been two years, so meh :)

My take was that the officer saw how the boys had become savages and were hunting Ralph and said something to the effect that he expected better from British boys. Then he asked something like "Any deaths?" or "casualties?" as a joke, never expecting that there could actually be any. That was when the boys started looking like boys again and began to realize what they had done. But it's been 30 years for me.
Lieutenant daddy1gringo

Location: Connecticut yankee expatriated in Houston, Texas area, by way of Isabela, NW PR

Postby Arbustos on Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:57 pm

daddy1gringo wrote:
Arbustos wrote:On Lord of the Flies, what they said. Also important to note is that the Naval officer who rescues them isn't surprised or phased that two boys died on the island, i.e., in war, adults are no better than children.

My take was that the officer saw how the boys had become savages and were hunting Ralph and said something to the effect that he expected better from British boys. Then he asked something like "Any deaths?" or "casualties?" as a joke, never expecting that there could actually be any. That was when the boys started looking like boys again and began to realize what they had done. But it's been 30 years for me.

Well, we jumped right into Great Expectations afterwards, so... yeah, I forgot, but at least it wasn't because of drugs :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class Arbustos

Postby strike wolf on Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:00 am

As I remember it, he was actually disappointed that they hadn't done better. (and didn't more than 2 people actually die in the end?) Piggy was my favorite death
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby strike wolf on Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:01 am

As I remember it, he was actually disappointed that they hadn't done better. (and didn't more than 2 people actually die in the end?) Piggy was my favorite death

Cadet strike wolf

Postby daddy1gringo on Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:07 am

strike wolf wrote:

Simon and Piggy at least. I'm not sure if there were any more.
Lieutenant daddy1gringo

Postby strike wolf on Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:22 pm

daddy1gringo wrote:
strike wolf wrote:

Simon and Piggy at least. I'm not sure if there were any more.

I want to say that at least 1 other person died but I can't think of anyone.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby MR. Nate on Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:01 am

strike wolf wrote: Piggy was my favorite death

This is disturbing on so many levels.
AAFitz wrote:There will always be cheaters, abusive players, terrible players, and worse. But we have every right to crush them.
MeDeFe wrote:This is a forum on the internet, what do you expect?

End the Flame Wars.
Corporal MR. Nate

Postby strike wolf on Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:04 am

MR. Nate wrote:
strike wolf wrote: Piggy was my favorite death

This is disturbing on so many levels.

Thank you.

Cadet strike wolf

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,