Conquer Club

Someone help me with this math problem...

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Someone help me with this math problem...

Postby GreecePwns on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:24 pm

Titanic wrote:
GreecePwns wrote:
Titanic wrote:
GreecePwns wrote:I need to know this by tommorrow (my teacher was absolutely no help at all, which means no one in my class knows). Here's an example:

Factor completely

(9x^[2y+2]) - (27x^2y)

Winner gets...i don't know...a cookie or something. Maybe a 1v1 when I get a free space.

Damn thats easy.

9x^2y(x^2-3x)

Remember, when you times polynomials you times the base, and add teh powers.

9x^2y times x^2 = 9x^(2y+2)

9x^2y times -3x = -(27x^2y) [Remember, -3x is actually -3x^1]
You're subtracting them, not multiplying.

No I'm not. When expanding the bracket, you do not subtract first. You times the first product by the outside product, and then you times the second product (with the negative sign) by the outside product.

Its impossible to simplify a subtraction which involves polynomials of different powers.
Ohhh...sorta got confused, but I knew it all along. :wink:

Thanks people.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby Titanic on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:25 pm

Norse wrote:9X Log (2y + 2) = 27X Log (2y)

1/3 log(2y + 2) = Log (2y)

Howd you get an equals sign?

Btw, some advice, even if the first bit was right, the accepted answer would be "log(2y + 2) = 3Log (2y)". Always try to keep whole numbers, and avoid fractions, there very nasty.
Major Titanic

Postby Titanic on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:26 pm

GreecePwns wrote:
Titanic wrote:
GreecePwns wrote:
Titanic wrote:
GreecePwns wrote:I need to know this by tommorrow (my teacher was absolutely no help at all, which means no one in my class knows). Here's an example:

Factor completely

(9x^[2y+2]) - (27x^2y)

Winner gets...i don't know...a cookie or something. Maybe a 1v1 when I get a free space.

Damn thats easy.

9x^2y(x^2-3x)

No I'm not. When expanding the bracket, you do not subtract first. You times the first product by the outside product, and then you times the second product (with the negative sign) by the outside product.

Its impossible to simplify a subtraction which involves polynomials of different powers.

Thanks people.

Np....10th grade...how old are you?
Major Titanic

Postby GreecePwns on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:26 pm

Titanic wrote:
GreecePwns wrote:
Titanic wrote:
GreecePwns wrote:
Titanic wrote:

Factor completely

(9x^[2y+2]) - (27x^2y)

Damn thats easy.

9x^2y(x^2-3x)

Thanks people.

Np....10th grade...how old are you?
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby Clive on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:33 pm

27(3x^2-1)x^2y

Is what i get glancing at it..not sure if it's fully factorised/completed the right way...took the C2 module before the summer and already seem to have forgotten most the stuff...so much diff/int in FP and M3..

EDIT: You have a pretty crappy maths teacher if they can't tell you the answer to what they're supposed to be teaching you...
General Clive

Postby Norse on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:47 pm

Titanic wrote:
Norse wrote:9X Log (2y + 2) = 27X Log (2y)

1/3 log(2y + 2) = Log (2y)

Howd you get an equals sign?

Btw, some advice, even if the first bit was right, the accepted answer would be "log(2y + 2) = 3Log (2y)". Always try to keep whole numbers, and avoid fractions, there very nasty.

Tit, thanks for the "advice". There ever so nasty. I know for a fact that GP will come here tommorow, and tell us that what you have provided him is not what the teacher was asking for...it's too simplistic.

I'm just trying to rack my brains 'twas a good few years since I have done pure maths...and I know this is solveable.

Jeez, you're fresh out of college...shouldnt you be able to regurgitate logarhtims like it was second nature to you?
b.k. barunt wrote:Snorri's like one of those fufu dogs who get all excited and dance around pissing on themself.

suggs wrote:scared off by all the pervs and wankers already? No? Then let me introduce myself, I'm Mr Pervy Wank.
Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby Clive on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:58 pm

Norse...that equation can't be solved it's not given as equal to anything...it's for simplifying only
General Clive

Postby static_ice on Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:15 pm

this is why I'm dropping out of Calc AB this year, I forgot everything, even something as easy as that :lol:
R.I.P. Chef
Sergeant static_ice

Postby Norse on Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:50 pm

Clive wrote:Norse...that equation can't be solved it's not given as equal to anything...it's for simplifying only

well, i was going on the f(x) principle...

but anyhoo

9({X^y}{X^2} - {3^Y})

Thats the lowest I can get it down to w/o using logs...

Dammit, I know theres a fooking simpler way of doing this...
Last edited by Norse on Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
b.k. barunt wrote:Snorri's like one of those fufu dogs who get all excited and dance around pissing on themself.

suggs wrote:scared off by all the pervs and wankers already? No? Then let me introduce myself, I'm Mr Pervy Wank.
Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby The Weird One on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:55 pm

Titanic wrote: Always try to keep whole numbers, and avoid fractions, there very nasty.

just depends on the teacher. my teacher right now hates decimals, so we have to answer everything in fractions. . . not that bad once you get used to them, really.
sheepofdumb wrote:I'm not scum, just a threat to the town. There's a difference, thank you very much.

ga7 wrote: I'll keep my vote where it should be but just in case Vote Strike Wolf AND f*ck FLAMINGOS f*ck THEM HARD
Sergeant The Weird One

Postby Norse on Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:55 am

If you are unable to work using fractions, even extremely laborius ones, you shouldnt be doing maths.

Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby Skittles! on Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:04 am

Writing maths is so much easier than typing it.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby Titanic on Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:57 am

Norse wrote:
Clive wrote:Norse...that equation can't be solved it's not given as equal to anything...it's for simplifying only

well, i was going on the f(x) principle...

but anyhoo

9({X^y}{X^2} - {3^Y})

Thats the lowest I can get it down to w/o using logs...

Dammit, I know theres a fooking simpler way of doing this...

Yer, the way I did it.

Remember hes 15, the solution is going to involve GCSE standard difficulty. No need for f(x) or logs. Its just the simple thing of finding the common product, removing it from the bracket, and leaving in what needs to be multiplied by the product to give the original answer. I have full confidence in the answer I gave to Greece.

Btw, what I was saying about fractions was not that I cant do them, but that I prefer working without them as do most A level maths students because with fractions its so easy to make a minor error, whilst with whole numbers its more straightforward.
Major Titanic

Postby Norse on Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:18 pm

To be honest though, for a 15 year old, that is some heavy mathematics.

I'm no mug when it comes to maths, but I never touched on algebra like that until 1st year a-level (16-17 years)

Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby Clive on Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:31 pm

Norse wrote:To be honest though, for a 15 year old, that is some heavy mathematics.

I'm no mug when it comes to maths, but I never touched on algebra like that until 1st year a-level (16-17 years)

Yeah same for me I didn't do that until I started 6th form.
General Clive

Postby GreecePwns on Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:30 pm

Actually, I did pretty good on the test, and much easier problems came up like factoring the difference of two sqares:

16x^4 - 144y^8k

(4x^2 + 12y^4k)(4x^2 - 12^4k)

I got a 92% on the test. Much better than expected.

And the accepted answer had nothing to do with logarithms or whatever you guys said (to be honest, i have never heard the word before, but did see a "log" button on my calculator).

(9x^[2y+2]) - (27x^2y) = 9x^2y (x^2 - 3)

P.S. This is an honors course, so it's like doing math from the year ahead.

Corporal GreecePwns

Postby Kaplowitz on Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:35 pm

:shock: im gettin scared! Im in 9th grade, Math BH, with a shitty teacher. But i its really easy proofs and stuff. I hope it never gets like this!
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby GreecePwns on Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:39 pm

Kaplowitz wrote::shock: im gettin scared! Im in 9th grade, Math BH, with a shitty teacher. But i its really easy proofs and stuff. I hope it never gets like this!
Ahh! I hate proofs with a passion!

Corporal GreecePwns

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,