Conquer Club

Anarchism: Impossible Utopia or Best Possible Chance?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Anarchism: Impossible Utopia or Best Possible Chance?

Postby MarketAnarchist on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:36 pm

I personally am a Market Anarchist. I believe the most moral societal system is a system that functions purely on a voluntary, non-coercive scale in line with the Libertarian NAP and the concept of Natural Rights. The State by its very nature is an abomination that disregards these rights and concepts, and exists as an institution that cannot exist without violating our inherent rights to our lives, liberty, and property.

What and how do you feel about the State, the role it should and does play in society and what do you have to justify these notions?
Private 1st Class MarketAnarchist

Postby mac46 on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:41 pm

Without the protection of rights provided by the State, the weak will be forced to submit to the ambitious and strong. Do you still believe a utopia is possible? It seems that it has been demonstrated that human nature will always make it impossible.
Sergeant 1st Class mac46

Postby xtratabasco on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:50 pm

MA you would Love Marc Stevens and his NO State Project and his book Adventures in Legal Land, he also gives seminars.

he has a radio show I listen too every weekend

http://www.wethepeopleradionetwork.com/programs.html

scroll down to the bottom

No State Project
Host: Marc Stevens
Program Archives
Call-in Number: (512) 646-1984 (888) 202-1984
Time: Saurdays, 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm CST

Marc Stevens is a consultant and the author of the book Adventures In Legal Land. This unique book rips off the "state's" veil of legitimacy and exposes the most pervasive world hoax - the government hoax. Marc Stevens proves there is no "state". Marc is a voluntaryist (libertarian) who believes government is anti-freedom and his No State Project show is dedicated to bringing about a voluntary society.

http://www.freedom-school.com/
Last edited by xtratabasco on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal xtratabasco

Postby MarketAnarchist on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:51 pm

mac46 wrote:Without the protection of rights provided by the State, the weak will be forced to submit to the ambitious and strong. Do you still believe a utopia is possible? It seems that it has been demonstrated that human nature will always make it impossible.

Think about what you've stated here for a moment.

The State thrives off the violation of rights. It can only survive by violating the rights of it subjects; sometimes these violations extend to those who aren't their "subjects". Taxation, war, market intervention; the list is near endless. How can it be a protector of rights when it violates rights? It's a clear cut case of cognitive dissonance.

Additionally, I do not personally believe that Anarchism is utopian; indeed, it is the State that is utopian, if anything. The State seeks to change human nature through an artificial institution run by men. After all, what is the State but a collection of men? Does joining the State automatically relieve them of any attributes "human nature" would give them? Your own argument is an argument against the State. After all, if we accepted that all men were evil and bad and needed controlling, why would we accept that men in government are somehow different? To assert a Hobbesian state of nature is to assert a fallacy of elitism.

Anarchism is simply the allowance of human nature; we do not assume people are good. We do not assume people are bad. We usually think most are inbetween, but for better or worse, people are better off in Liberty.

Postby F1fth on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:53 pm

Aye, 'tis true that people sacrifice some liberties to the State, but in exchange they (ideally, and in many cases realistically) get some protection from foreign entities and from your fellow Statesmen.

And I don't know about any inherent right to life, liberty, and property that isn't indoctrinated in State policy. There's no natural "Law of Humans" that governs us. The powerful would be free to take and deny life, liberty, and property thus creating a dictatorial government and things coming full circle. :wink:
<>---------------------------<>
......Come play CC Mafia,
.....where happiness lies
<>----------[Link]----------<>

REMEMBER NORSE // REMEMBER DANCING MUSTARD
Corporal F1fth

Postby MarketAnarchist on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:57 pm

F1fth wrote:Aye, 'tis true that people sacrifice some liberties to the State, but in exchange they (ideally, and in many cases realistically) get some protection from foreign entities and from your fellow Statesmen.

If those people sacrifice their liberties, should others be forced to? What if I don't want to use the services provided by the State, and would rather choose my own provider of services?

And I don't know about any inherent right to life, liberty, and property that isn't indoctrinated in State policy. There's no natural "Law of Humans" that governs us. The powerful would be free to take and deny life, liberty, and property thus creating a dictatorial government and things coming full circle. :wink:

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're stating here. Could you perhaps be more clear?

Postby MarketAnarchist on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:00 am

xtratabasco wrote:MA you would Love Marc Stevens and his NO State Project and his book Adventures in Legal Land, he also gives seminars.

he has a radio show I listen too every weekend

http://www.wethepeopleradionetwork.com/programs.html

scroll down to the bottom

No State Project
Host: Marc Stevens
Program Archives
Call-in Number: (512) 646-1984 (888) 202-1984
Time: Saurdays, 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm CST

Marc Stevens is a consultant and the author of the book Adventures In Legal Land. This unique book rips off the "state's" veil of legitimacy and exposes the most pervasive world hoax - the government hoax. Marc Stevens proves there is no "state". Marc is a voluntaryist (libertarian) who believes government is anti-freedom and his No State Project show is dedicated to bringing about a voluntary society.

http://www.freedom-school.com/

I've already read most of his work, and listened to him a few times. I prefer some of the more academic approaches (Von Mises, Bastiat, Rothbard, etc.) and tend to use them as sources more often then others.

Postby mac46 on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:01 am

If that's your argument, then it's not the concept of the state you have a problem with, it's the actual implementation of it. True, it is hoping for a utopia to believe that the state will always run perfectly. As for war, well, that's not the ideal state of man, and it shouldn't be the goal of the state. As for taxation, that can only be implemented after the consent of the majority, right?
Sergeant 1st Class mac46

Postby F1fth on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:04 am

Basically, you said that we're guaranteed (have a inherent right to) life, liberty, and property. Where? The only place you might these rights are in the articles of Statehood.

And without those rights guaranteed, which anarchism would not, then people are free to trample on others rights as they wish. There's nothing stopping them, is there?

Also, I really hate saying this, because it makes me sound like you run-of-the-mill, blindly patriotic American idiot - which I'm really not - but if you're really against Statehood, you're free to leave, because I'm pretty sure the majority of people are willing to sacrifice some rights to guarantee others are protected.

Corporal F1fth

Postby xtratabasco on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:06 am

well MA I assume your not voting, and my thinking is very close to yours.

who would you vote fore or prefer to win, even though you probably dont support the system.

I have voted for Badnarik and the Libratarains the last 5 or 6 times if I even bother to vote. Im pushing for Ron Paul

Ive heard Ron Paul on Alex Jones interviews and know that the only reason hes running on the Rep. ticket is because he cant win on the others.

your views please.
Corporal xtratabasco

Postby MarketAnarchist on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:07 am

mac46 wrote:If that's your argument, then it's not the concept of the state you have a problem with, it's the actual implementation of it.

It's not my only grievance against the State. The arguments against the State are vast, solid, and multiple. It's a downright unethical and immoral concept as well as applied concept.

Saying it's the "implementation" of the State is full of just as much horseshit as saying "communism works on paper, but not in real life" (it doesn't work on paper either, by any stretch of the ever reaching imagination).

True, it is hoping for a utopia to believe that the state will always run perfectly.

The State -by its very NATURE- will never run perfectly and will function on the underlying premise of rights violations; how this can be a good thing or even an acceptable thing is beyond me.

As for war, well, that's not the ideal state of man, and it shouldn't be the goal of the state.

But yet it happens. So much for using human nature as your backing argument, mirite?

As for taxation, that can only be implemented after the consent of the majority, right?

No! Consent of the taxed themselves. If you and forty other people want to be taxed for services provided, by all means, go ahead. Just don't force me into it. Using an ambiguous majority as justification for the violation of my rights isn't a justification at all; it's a half-baked fallacious cop-out appealing to the majority.

Postby mac46 on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:12 am

yea people have already tried taxation by personal consent in the articles of confederation, and it's been shown not to function. Alright, I understand why you disagree with what I said. What's your reasoning for believing a state is not necessary? How do you propose for rights to be guaranteed if there is no state?
Sergeant 1st Class mac46

Postby MarketAnarchist on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:17 am

F1fth wrote:Basically, you said that we're guaranteed (have a inherent right to) life, liberty, and property. Where? The only place you might these rights are in the articles of Statehood.

This is false. The Philosophy and Ethics of Liberty is from where we draw these rights. These rights did not come into being as a result of the formation of the State.; indeed, they were the "reason" they State came into existence. To argue that they came about as a result of the State is to assert that they never existed before hand, which is absolutely ridiculous. If the State were to disappear, would it still be unethical to murder, steal, and enslave? Of course.

And without those rights guaranteed, which anarchism would not, then people are free to trample on others rights as they wish. There's nothing stopping them, is there?

To the contrary. Imagine a society where everyone is either armed to the teeth (no gun laws!) or they have in their employ a private defensive agency to ensure that their rights are not violated and that any disputes between two individuals are fairly arbitrated.

Imagine a society where you couldn't externalize the costs of your actions because you had no one under you immediate subjugation. Indeed, that is how the government does what it does; it doesn't actually pay for anything, it doesn't actually make money. It takes all it has by force (how is this different from theft?), and uses what it took to fund its various endeavors.

Now imagine if you will, how this society would function: PDA's would be loathe to violent action because as we can see in our very much real world right now, that would be much to expensive. Criminals would find different and more ethical professions fast because the result of their actions would either be death, maiming, societal exclusion (who wants to deal with thieves and murderers?), or even perhaps a loss of contracts with various businesses (imagine trying to find an insurance company that will back you with your most dangerous profession!).

Also, I really hate saying this, because it makes me sound like you run-of-the-mill, blindly patriotic American idiot - which I'm really not - but if you're really against Statehood, you're free to leave, because I'm pretty sure the majority of people are willing to sacrifice some rights to guarantee others are protected.

Why doesn't the State just leave? The "love it or leave it" bromide begs the underlying question: who is more entitled to this space? The "State" or me? I would argue me, because the State can't own land, but Individuals can. Additionally, appealing to the majority does nothing to reinforce your arguments.

Postby MarketAnarchist on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:19 am

xtratabasco wrote:well MA I assume your not voting, and my thinking is very close to yours.

who would you vote fore or prefer to win, even though you probably dont support the system.

I have voted for Badnarik and the Libratarains the last 5 or 6 times if I even bother to vote. Im pushing for Ron Paul

Ive heard Ron Paul on Alex Jones interviews and know that the only reason hes running on the Rep. ticket is because he cant win on the others.

your views please.

You're right in that I don't vote, and as such, I don't really contemplate it leaving me with no idea who I would vote for, so this isn't easy to answer.

Give me some time to think of this.

Postby mac46 on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:20 am

btw, what flag is that? Looks like the CSA Naval Jack, but a different color.
Sergeant 1st Class mac46

Postby MarketAnarchist on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:24 am

mac46 wrote:yea people have already tried taxation by personal consent in the articles of confederation, and it's been shown not to function.

What didn't function? Oh yes, the omnipresent and ever-benevolent State, right? Hamilton fucked us all over good, and made a good brainwash job out of it too.

Alright, I understand why you disagree with what I said. What's your reasoning for believing a state is not necessary?

Too many to list right here. The basic of it could be summed up with a few phrases, if you'll take that:

"No service should be provided at the barrel of a gun"

"We cannot deny reality. We cannot pretend that slavery is freedom, that war is peace, that the State is our servant, rather than our master. We must choose between freedom and slavery. That is The Choice: liberty, or The State. The Choice: life, or death. The Choice: Our lives, to be lived as we wish; or Orwell's famous jackboot, crushing our faces forever."

"Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state wants to live at the expense of everyone."

Otherwise, we need to cover a loooooot of ground.

How do you propose for rights to be guaranteed if there is no state?

Personal protection, private defense agencies, etc.

Postby MarketAnarchist on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:28 am

mac46 wrote:btw, what flag is that? Looks like the CSA Naval Jack, but a different color.

It's actually a resized version of this:

It's a combination of the Market Anarchist flag (Gold on Black halved) with the CSA Stars and Bars. I'm not a CSA fan, nor do I really sympathize with them (it's difficult to sympathize with people who just create another State), but the flag is the only adequate avatar I really have.

Postby mac46 on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:31 am

that all sounds well and good i guess, though I don't agree at all with your view of the state. I'll be the first to commend your ideas if a successful anarchical society ever rises, but I believe I can promise you it will never happen in our lifetime.
Sergeant 1st Class mac46

Postby MarketAnarchist on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:33 am

mac46 wrote:that all sounds well and good i guess, though I don't agree at all with your view of the state. I'll be the first to commend your ideas if a successful anarchical society ever rises, but I believe I can promise you it will never happen in our lifetime.

Why not? How is the State supposed to function, and what is your view of it? How can you rationally justify it?

Postby F1fth on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:41 am

Ah, we have an argument-divider. :D Interesting. May I try my hand at it? :wink:

MarketAnarchist wrote:This is false. The Philosophy and Ethics of Liberty is from where we draw these rights. These rights did not come into being as a result of the formation of the State.; indeed, they were the "reason" they State came into existence. To argue that they came about as a result of the State is to assert that they never existed before hand, which is absolutely ridiculous. If the State were to disappear, would it still be unethical to murder, steal, and enslave? Of course.

Philosophy is all good and well, my friend, but what about enforcement? Since when have people cared about what is ethical if it could elevate themselves to more power? If we ask society to operate purely on the "honor" system, then I'm afraid that society would fail miserably. And while the philosophy may have come first, the reason the State came into being was to enforce that philosophy.

And besides, who would define "liberty" and "ethics" anyway. Every single person has a different take one what those two words mean. For instance, abortion seems like a perfectly ethical right that should be guaranteed to them. Conversely, some people think it's worse than murder to kill and unborn child. Who's right who's wrong. Who decides this in anarchy?

MarketAnarchist wrote:To the contrary. Imagine a society where everyone is either armed to the teeth (no gun laws!) or they have in their employ a private defensive agency to ensure that their rights are not violated and that any disputes between two individuals are fairly arbitrated.

Imagine a society where you couldn't externalize the costs of your actions because you had no one under you immediate subjugation. Indeed, that is how the government does what it does; it doesn't actually pay for anything, it doesn't actually make money. It takes all it has by force (how is this different from theft?), and uses what it took to fund its various endeavors.

Now imagine if you will, how this society would function: PDA's would be loathe to violent action because as we can see in our very much real world right now, that would be much to expensive. Criminals would find different and more ethical professions fast because the result of their actions would either be death, maiming, societal exclusion (who wants to deal with thieves and murderers?), or even perhaps a loss of contracts with various businesses (imagine trying to find an insurance company that will back you with your most dangerous profession!).

I am imagining a world where everyone is armed, and there's nothing that says I can't go shoot my neighbor and take his land except the code of "Ethics." That world scares the f*ck out of me. And this kind of world would give an insane amount of power to the gun manufacturers and defense organizations (essentially they'd be small groups of power). Essentially, they'd become small governments as they could start asking for people to give up rights for their protection (sound familiar). I mean, what organization would say no to more power over the people?

And why would criminals change? Why not just band together and take what they will. Form some kind of terrorist group and take control? It happens even in todays world is far less orderly societies, because it's a lot easier and more profitable to take than it is to earn.

MarketAnarchist wrote:Why doesn't the State just leave? The "love it or leave it" bromide begs the underlying question: who is more entitled to this space? The "State" or me? I would argue me, because the State can't own land, but Individuals can. Additionally, appealing to the majority does nothing to reinforce your arguments.

Why can I not appeal to the majority? That's like telling a sports team that they can't field their bes player, and then not even explaining why. Simply put, there are a lot more people out there who are willing to sacrifice rights for safety than there are people who want anarchy. Otherwise, people would be rioting in the streets or trying to overthrow the government. So what makes your opinion of how the world should be more important than what others think it should be like. How can things be decided but by the majority of the people? Well, you could make your decisions for them, but I think that falls under govenment...

Corporal F1fth

Postby mac46 on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:41 am

Well, assuming your not specifically talking about America, I believe in the classical social contract theory. In America, per se, a lot of it goes back to the Puritan ideals of individualism and civil liberty while providing and taking care of the weaker members of society when necessary. As far as the modern state, I just believe that I am far better off with it than without it. I feel like I benefit everyday from the market systems, the police protection, and the utilities provided by the state.
Sergeant 1st Class mac46

Postby kalishnikov on Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:39 am

Impossible Utopia, to answer your question.

I cannot further elaborate until you provide me with your definition of anarchy.

This word is misused by most people who use it and as such, it's connotation has been altered to a point where it barely means what the dictionary says. It has little to do with a lack of rules or 'doing what you please' as the fevered dreams of most teenagers would have you believe; however I'm not here to debate semantics.

I love anarchy; true anarchy. The problem lies in that one of the human conditions is that we give control to others. In a small group of friends (3 or less) there is always one thats dominate and the rest tend to follow. So by our very nature we're 'programed' to not allow it to succeed.

For the record, my question was probably answered, I have a stupid habit of just reading the first post then hitting reply. I plan to read the entire thread at some point, hoping for a good argument.
Sergeant 1st Class kalishnikov

Postby Visaoni on Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:53 am

I haven't read all of this, as it is nearly 1 in the morning for me.

Well, one brief glance at the post ahead of me as I was starting to write this showed he said exactly what I was going to say. He just put a lot more time and thought into it then I was going to give, considering the time.
Sergeant Visaoni

Postby MarketAnarchist on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:29 am

F1fth wrote:Philosophy is all good and well, my friend, but what about enforcement? Since when have people cared about what is ethical if it could elevate themselves to more power?

This has already been addressed, and I don't feel like repeating myself.

If we ask society to operate purely on the "honor" system, then I'm afraid that society would fail miserably.

Straw man. Anarchism doesn't rely on everyone to use the honor system; it instead relies on human nature that people are good, bad, and somewhere in between. But Anarchism doesn't presuppose that

And while the philosophy may have come first, the reason the State came into being was to enforce that philosophy.

.... by violating the philosophy. Right. Some how this just doesn't seem to logically flow.

And besides, who would define "liberty" and "ethics" anyway. Every single person has a different take one what those two words mean. For instance, abortion seems like a perfectly ethical right that should be guaranteed to them. Conversely, some people think it's worse than murder to kill and unborn child. Who's right who's wrong. Who decides this in anarchy?

I am imagining a world where everyone is armed, and there's nothing that says I can't go shoot my neighbor and take his land except the code of "Ethics."

You obviously didn't read a word I just wrote.

That world scares the f*ck out of me.

People are often afraid of what they don't understand.

And this kind of world would give an insane amount of power to the gun manufacturers and defense organizations (essentially they'd be small groups of power). Essentially, they'd become small governments as they could start asking for people to give up rights for their protection (sound familiar). I mean, what organization would say no to more power over the people?

No power here. Consider that the world functions on the ultimate free market; you could choose not to use their services, and if they acted unethically, it would be bad mojo for them. After all, if I as a PDA screw you over as the customer, or take "liberties" you don't like, what is to stop you from going to another competing PDA, and reducing my ability to function?

And why would criminals change? Why not just band together and take what they will.

You're blindly asserting that there are more "bad" people then "good" people. If we accepted this, we would have to accept that government would be just as bad.

Form some kind of terrorist group and take control? It happens even in todays world is far less orderly societies, because it's a lot easier and more profitable to take than it is to earn.

So your argument is that we must create a government in order to prevent a government from arising. You've essentially argued against a government. If you concede that a monopoly on force is bad and must be prevented, then you concede that government is bad.

You'd make a better anarchist than you think.

Why can I not appeal to the majority? That's like telling a sports team that they can't field their bes player, and then not even explaining why.

I didn't say you can't. I said it does nothing to support your argument because it relies on a logical fallacy, and a moral one as well; what is the "majority" but a collection of individuals? You're creating a special other-wise non-existent "right" for these individuals at the expense of other individuals. How can you logically deduce any sort of acceptable standard if some people have more rights then others? The short answer is that you can't.

Simply put, there are a lot more people out there who are willing to sacrifice rights for safety than there are people who want anarchy.

So we who don't desire that "sacrifice" should be subjected to it, slaves to the will of some invisible majority?

Otherwise, people would be rioting in the streets or trying to overthrow the government.

Oh yeah, because hey, violence is the only option. Give me a break. Anarchism is non-violent concept, relying solely on voluntary interaction. Agorism, tax evasion, are these concepts you're unaware of?

So what makes your opinion of how the world should be more important than what others think it should be like. How can things be decided but by the majority of the people? Well, you could make your decisions for them, but I think that falls under govenment...

Me thinks thou hast built a man of straw. Never have I claimed that any body would make any decisions for anyone, nor that my proposed system is for everyone (Anarchism is polycentric. If you wanted to live in a Democratic Commune where you all worshiped Hare Krishna, that's your prerogative, just don't for me into it); rather, everyone would make decisions for themself. Now, I imagine you'll have something to say about this for a second, but think about it before you respond: If people can't rule themself, what makes them any capable of ruling others in one form or another?

Postby MarketAnarchist on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:32 am

kalishnikov wrote:Impossible Utopia, to answer your question.

I cannot further elaborate until you provide me with your definition of anarchy.

This word is misused by most people who use it and as such, it's connotation has been altered to a point where it barely means what the dictionary says. It has little to do with a lack of rules or 'doing what you please' as the fevered dreams of most teenagers would have you believe; however I'm not here to debate semantics.

I love anarchy; true anarchy. The problem lies in that one of the human conditions is that we give control to others. In a small group of friends (3 or less) there is always one thats dominate and the rest tend to follow. So by our very nature we're 'programed' to not allow it to succeed.

For the record, my question was probably answered, I have a stupid habit of just reading the first post then hitting reply. I plan to read the entire thread at some point, hoping for a good argument.

I'll give you a day or two to respond to this thread in general before I respond to this comment.

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,