Conquer Club

Learning acoustic guitar...

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Learning acoustic guitar...

Postby Neoteny on Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:20 pm

I recently found my brother's old acoustic guitar and have gotten on a kick about learning how to play. I was wondering if anyone knew of any particularly excellent (also free is nice) videos or other teaching methods that they can recommend. All of my friends suck because none of them actually play guitar so any tips or other recommendations are appreciated.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby suggs on Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:41 pm

I just bought a chord book with the cool little chord boxes (in fact it was "buskers classics-quality!) and practised from there.
I would kick off with G and Eminor, they are probably the easiest chords, and it sounds good.
Norse wrote:But, alas, you are all cock munching rent boys, with an IQ that would make my local spaco clinic blush.
Sergeant 1st Class suggs

Postby graeme89 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:16 pm

You can get music books for guitar with tablature which is kind of like music for dummies, no offence, it shows you which fingers to put where, .If youre not a music reader this is the wway to go.
I've used it many times
Sergeant graeme89

Postby Neoteny on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:54 pm

I can read orchestral music, but I haven't even begun looking at guitar music. Thanks for the ideas.
Major Neoteny

Postby jnd94 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:56 pm

I know it's said all the time, but practice! If you do, you will get better so much faster....I didn't, and now I'm struggling :lol:
Captain jnd94

Postby Neoteny on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:59 pm

jnd94 wrote:I know it's said all the time, but practice! If you do, you will get better so much faster....I didn't, and now I'm struggling :lol:

I actually tried once before, and that was my problem. This time I'm going to try to stick with it. I hear that's the biggest problem for beginners...
Major Neoteny

Postby jnd94 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:04 pm

Neoteny wrote:
jnd94 wrote:I know it's said all the time, but practice! If you do, you will get better so much faster....I didn't, and now I'm struggling :lol:

I actually tried once before, and that was my problem. This time I'm going to try to stick with it. I hear that's the biggest problem for beginners...

You just need motivation. The only reason I stuck with it is because I love music, and want to be in a band.
Captain jnd94

Postby misterman10 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:05 pm

It's best if you have an instructor teach you when you first start. Trying to learn by yourself and not doing very well is frustrating, especially when you can't get anything to sound good. It also develops bad techniques. So if you can, get professional instruction.
Pleasant Chaps still suck cock.

Yakuza power.
Major misterman10

Postby graeme89 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:12 pm

Definetley 8)
Sergeant graeme89

Postby everlong1289 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:40 pm

Definitely do what MisterMan said. If you try to learn it on your own you will get frustrated quite quickly. It is possible, but an instructor makes it much more easier. Also, like said before, practice as much as you can.

Also, I am not sure if this site is what you are working for, but this was my first result for searching for online guitar lessons.
http://www.guitartricks.com/
Corporal everlong1289

Postby F1fth on Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:58 pm

Well, I think a poor teacher can turn off a new player even more than the initial frustration. Make sure that if you do get a teacher, that he's one that's good for you. You should be enjoying guitar at least some of the time at first (probably not all the time, but that's OK :wink: ).

But I was self-taught, (well, I used some free resources on the net) up until recently, so it definitely is possible to go it alone. And this advice will be told to you a thousand times, and you'll think it's obvious and pointless to say it, but so many people take it for granted: If you want to be good, PRACTICE!!

Granted some are always going to be more naturally talented than others, but everyone is capable of becoming great, and even those who were naturally talented (Eddie Van Halen, to mention a common name), still practiced 8-10 hours a day to get to where he is. Now, that may be a little (a lot) extreme for most people, and that's perfectly fine, but it just goes to show that the more time you put into guitar, the better you'll be.

Sorry for the overzealous speech. Just needed to be said. 8)
<>---------------------------<>
......Come play CC Mafia,
.....where happiness lies
<>----------[Link]----------<>

REMEMBER NORSE // REMEMBER DANCING MUSTARD
Corporal F1fth

Postby radiojake on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:11 pm

I would also start trying to learn and remember the names of chords and where they are on the fretboard - once you do that things will come easier.

It's the one thing with my girlfriends guitar playing that lets her down. She is a good player but doesn't know the name of the chords yet, so when teaching her new songs its like 'play D, Bm G' - or something, then she'll end up playing 3 or 4 wrongs chords before getting the right one. She needs to study up on the chords more.

But guitar is an instrument that is easily self teachable. Just keep going at it, it's way worth it
-- share what ya got --
Sergeant 1st Class radiojake

Postby fireedud on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:23 pm

I just thought this quote seemed to go with this thread:
If practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, then why practice?
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby d.gishman on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:27 pm

fireedud wrote:I just thought this quote seemed to go with this thread:
If practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, then why practice?

By nitpicking on the little things in that quote (which isn't even a perfect quote by its standards), you are missing out on a chance to improve upon yourself.
Sergeant 1st Class d.gishman

Postby Neoteny on Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:33 pm

I've been watching a video by this nerd in a blue sweater, and, though I hate that fucking sweater, think it might not be bad. I'm not sure I have time for eight hours a day. This is supposed to be a hobby, not a career lol.
Major Neoteny

Postby Phil1580 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:51 pm

Despite thinking about giving lessons....I think guitar is one of the few instruments easily self-taught. Most of these people are right....get yourself a chord diagram book and learn them....not only the chords, but switching back & forth between the chords. You'll be slow, and your fingers will kill, but it will come quickly if you work. Learn a song or two to keep your interest & sense of accomplishment up.....I could show you about a million song using nothing but G, C & D chords.

And to blow your mind....and frustrate you, because you will never ever be that good....look up some videos on YouTube of Andy McKee. Wow.
Sergeant Phil1580

Re: Learning acoustic guitar...

Postby DaGip on Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:46 am

Neoteny wrote:I recently found my brother's old acoustic guitar and have gotten on a kick about learning how to play. I was wondering if anyone knew of any particularly excellent (also free is nice) videos or other teaching methods that they can recommend. All of my friends suck because none of them actually play guitar so any tips or other recommendations are appreciated.

Take lots of acid and don't get laid for like two years...you'll play just fine!
Army of GOD wrote:This thread is now about my large penis
Sergeant 1st Class DaGip

Postby Syzygy on Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:40 am

Develop those callouses on your fingers and the pain will slowly subside.

I'm actually fiddling around with learning to play too, luckily my sister (who's too new to guitar herself to teach me) has a guitar which I've been playing around on.

I bought one of the For Dummies series on guitars. It is extremely helpful, especially if you want to self-teach.
Sergeant 1st Class Syzygy

Postby glide on Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:57 am

I taught myself to play, left handed unfortunately for me.....lol..however, dispite that being a hassle as far as guitar availability..its good for teaching others, because the hands are like a mirror image to the student. And the method I have found effective is to teach the student 3 chords, then show him songs that utilize those 3 chords (in different order)..when he comes back having learned those songs...I teach him 3 more chords, and give him 3 more songs to learn.....after all, thats what people want to learn guitar for, to play songs, not scales. One song I find very helpful when it comes to practicing because it has5 chords and everyone knows it is "House of the Rising Sun" .....learn to form the next chord in the air as you are switching from the last one, and then set your fingers on the fretboard already in position to play it:
and the chords are:
Am, C,D,F,....Am, C, E...Am, C, D, F, Am, E, Am.

You will develop your "cadence" quicker by doing this "form the chords in the air" thing, and will eventually find that keeping beat consistent is becoming easier and easier each time you play it........good luck.
Gatekeeper, and Proud Member of XI Games
Newt Hunter
Corporal glide

Location: 7km outside the thriving metropolis of Centreville, New Brunswick!

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:22 am

Raad your thread with interest because I have been seeking to find a teacher for my son. The 2 local teachers are all booked, so if anyone knows any websites OR books that would work for a child, please let me know. Thanks. (note: I read music, but don't know guitar chords .. my son barely reads )
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby glide on Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:02 pm

any guitar book can lay out the chords for your son....and which finger for which string will become obvious as he tries them.......also...learning tabliture is easy and should be very helpful for him when learning songs.....Im sure the net has lots of stuff to help...good luck. :wink:
Gatekeeper, and Proud Member of XI Games
Newt Hunter
Corporal glide

Location: 7km outside the thriving metropolis of Centreville, New Brunswick!

Postby RiskTycoon on Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:28 pm

well here is my take....stay away from tab ... learn to read the music...it seems you already have the knowledge reading some music....just expand from that...another thing i think is important is don't start off using a guitar pick....I know this sounds silly but....learn to play with your fingers first, then switch to a pick after you feel comfortable playing with your fingers...I know it doesn't sound exciting but it really really helps in the long run.....was something my teacher did to me....beyond that...practice scales and keep some theory on the back burner....after you start to learn some chords it will be nice to be able to understand where to go from there....i'm no expert but i have been around music all my life, met some pretty cool people and had some sick times...all because of that guitar....enjoy!
"How do you like that? Even among misfits you're a misfit!"
Major RiskTycoon

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,