Conquer Club

Who is the better guitarist?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Who is the better guitarist?

Total votes : 0

Postby sam_levi_11 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:14 am

neither, steve vai is technically the best, and malmsteem(sp) is the best picker. hendrix writes the best songs i reckon.

synster gates is a legend
but not in the same league.
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby heavycola on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:16 am

sam_levi_11 wrote:neither, steve vai is technically the best, and malmsteem(sp) is the best picker. hendrix writes the best songs i reckon.

Steve Vai is technically amazing but where is the SOUL? I used to love Joe Satriani, a lot. But he never wrote a solo like page or hendrix, even if he did manage 800 fret taps per second.
Corporal 1st Class heavycola

Postby sam_levi_11 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:18 am

heavycola wrote:
sam_levi_11 wrote:neither, steve vai is technically the best, and malmsteem(sp) is the best picker. hendrix writes the best songs i reckon.

Steve Vai is technically amazing but where is the SOUL? I used to love Joe Satriani, a lot. But he never wrote a solo like page or hendrix, even if he did manage 800 fret taps per second.

yeah he reminds me of a peado....
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby F1fth on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:39 am

Nothing sounds like Hendrix, even today. When you look at some of the things he did with a guitar almost 40 years ago, you know the answer to this question. From both a guitar player's perspective and a music lover's perspective, Jimi just did more.

Page used blues stuff in an interesting way. Good, but not entirely unique nor was he the the best to do so.
<>---------------------------<>
......Come play CC Mafia,
.....where happiness lies
<>----------[Link]----------<>

REMEMBER NORSE // REMEMBER DANCING MUSTARD
Corporal F1fth

Postby bryguy on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:42 am

bryguy 8)

im great at guitar hero :lol:
Corporal bryguy

Postby Chromeboy on Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:41 am

Joe Satriani in my opinion is the best out there. he's a real musician, he can shred with the best of them and all his pieces have real soul in them. unlike people like yngwie malmsteen who just blitzes his way into fame with lots of notes and pieces written for him by classical composers.

i suppose its all a question of style and preference. personally i find some of hendrix's stuff a bit boring. whereas i love anything by vai or satriani.
Cook Chromeboy

Postby HungrySomali on Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:54 am

ParadiceCity9 wrote:Jimmy was definitely better. people only think jimi's good cause he's fuckin black.

Yer an idiot. Hendrix was an innovator and changed the way the guitar is percieved as an instrument.
Corporal HungrySomali

Postby HungrySomali on Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:00 pm

F1fth wrote:Nothing sounds like Hendrix, even today. When you look at some of the things he did with a guitar almost 40 years ago, you know the answer to this question. From both a guitar player's perspective and a music lover's perspective, Jimi just did more.

Page used blues stuff in an interesting way. Good, but not entirely unique nor was he the the best to do so.

Exactly.

To those talking about Satriani and his disciples (Vai, Van Halen, Hammit): Technically great but thier songwriting just cant come close to Hendrix. His music still stands the test of time.
Corporal HungrySomali

Postby Neoteny on Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:48 pm

whitelighting wrote:syn. gates is better than both

"Whoo!" for contemporary music! I disagree that he's better, but he is pretty fucking awesome, and I enjoy his genre more, so I like him more. Sorry all. Carry on.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby Jdogg on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:40 pm

i don't agree with these people saying that guitarists like steve vai and joe satriani are the best. I enjoy their music and they can play really well but they just are the same as hendrix. Hendrix put his soul into his music and really made it his. some of the songs by these new guys just seem empty.
Private 1st Class Jdogg

Postby suggs on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:54 pm

Thats because they are empty. Sure SATRIANI and the boys can play a few chords(ok, technically, they are exceptional), but i've been unable to listen to any more than a few mins of their stuff, because its utterly without soul.
Man.
Last edited by suggs on Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norse wrote:But, alas, you are all cock munching rent boys, with an IQ that would make my local spaco clinic blush.
Sergeant 1st Class suggs

Postby Jdogg on Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:09 pm

exactly
Private 1st Class Jdogg

Postby gannable on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:09 pm

agreed. guys like Vai or Santrini but be technical masters but they have so Soul whatsoever.
I'd rather listen to someone who can elicit an emotional response like Jimmy PAge.

heavycola wrote:

Lieutenant gannable

Postby gannable on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:11 pm

all those guys you mentioned are Eddie Van Halen disciples.

Van Halen came before Santrian and Van Halen's playing w/ DLR appeals to be alot more than anything Santrinia, Hammet, etc ever came up with.

HungrySomali wrote:
F1fth wrote:Nothing sounds like Hendrix, even today. When you look at some of the things he did with a guitar almost 40 years ago, you know the answer to this question. From both a guitar player's perspective and a music lover's perspective, Jimi just did more.

Exactly.

To those talking about Satriani and his disciples (Vai, Van Halen, Hammit): Technically great but thier songwriting just cant come close to Hendrix. His music still stands the test of time.
Lieutenant gannable

Postby ParadiceCity9 on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:12 pm

HungrySomali wrote:
ParadiceCity9 wrote:Jimmy was definitely better. people only think jimi's good cause he's fuckin black.

Yer an idiot. Hendrix was an innovator and changed the way the guitar is percieved as an instrument.

Oh? What do you think that?

Jason Becker is still the best there ever was, or would have been.
Corporal 1st Class ParadiceCity9

Postby lord_pwnage on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:13 pm

>.> Why do I miss John Petrucci in this list?
Private 1st Class lord_pwnage

Postby ParadiceCity9 on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:19 pm

lord_pwnage wrote:>.> Why do I miss John Petrucci in this list?

ya he's good, band's singers a faggot though ruins dream theater. i saw him with satch and paul gilbert at the G3 concert when they came to DC...cool stuff
Corporal 1st Class ParadiceCity9

Postby lord_pwnage on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:21 pm

ParadiceCity9 wrote:
lord_pwnage wrote:>.> Why do I miss John Petrucci in this list?

ya he's good, band's singers a faggot though ruins dream theater. i saw him with satch and paul gilbert at the G3 concert when they came to DC...cool stuff

:( LaBrie is also good... really... very good
Private 1st Class lord_pwnage

Postby whitelighting on Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:04 pm

No body likes eddie van halen?
Private 1st Class whitelighting

Postby Phil1580 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:17 pm

Man, that is a brutally tough one. Love them both....I picked Jimmy Page for his more varied playing (more acoustic/fingerpicking & more mandolin/dobro playing than Hendrix), and he's still alive. Maybe Jimi would be better if he was still going. :)
Sergeant Phil1580

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,