Extraterrestrial life in the Milky Way Galaxy?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby vtmarik on Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:41 pm

strike wolf wrote:Really on earth we had the optimal conditions for life.

For human life. A planet made up entirely of water, for example, could spawn aquatic life. A planet with tremendous gravity could produce small, multilegged life. And so on...

Any manner of lifeforms are possiblities. If it hadn't been for the meteor strike, there might be a race of sentient beings that evolved from the dinosaurs.

Earth has optimal conditions for our existence, but it's not the only type of planet that can sustain life when you take into account that lifeforms could adapt and evolve to any climate with the right starting materials. We're carbon-based, but life could exist elsewhere that's nitrogen-based or copper-based or what have you.
Initiate discovery! Fire the Machines! Throw the switch Igor! THROW THE F***ING SWITCH!
Cadet vtmarik

Postby Truman on Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:45 pm

Of course, you all know that ETs are all based on "If evolution is true, there must be others out there!"

Now, if evolution isn't true...then this would all be a bunch of hocus pocus, right? Exactly right. I wrote a paper previously about this, but I'd prefer not to get into this topic any farther, so be free to deluge yourselves into thinking what you think about this nonsense. :wink:
Private Truman

Postby vtmarik on Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:47 pm

Truman wrote:Of course, you all know that ETs are all based on "If evolution is true, there must be others out there!"

Now, if evolution isn't true...then this would all be a bunch of hocus pocus, right? Exactly right. I wrote a paper previously about this, but I'd prefer not to get into this topic any farther, so be free to deluge yourselves into thinking what you think about this nonsense. :wink:

Truman, we're here to discuss theoretical science, not religion. Go away.
Initiate discovery! Fire the Machines! Throw the switch Igor! THROW THE F***ING SWITCH!
Cadet vtmarik

Postby Truman on Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:51 pm

Where did I ever write the word "religion" in my post? No where. Where did I imply religion in my post? No where. It seems you like to twist anything against what you believe. I'm sorry, did I offend you?
Private Truman

Postby vtmarik on Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:57 pm

My friend, I am a bisexual, discordian, patriotic anarcho-materialist. I don't get offended, I offend others.

You implied religion by referencing the possibility that "evolution isn't true." Science is the search for and analysis of fact, Philosophy is the analysis of truth, and religion is the search for truth. Sorry to call it like I see it.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. *waves byebye to Truman* I'm not saying that there is definitely life on other worlds, but i'm saying that it would be foolish to assume that there is no other life in this infinite universe.

Prediction from earlier wrote:I'm sure Caleb or Truman will mosey on in here to stir up trouble like they always do.

Damn, I should've put money on it. :lol:
Cadet vtmarik

Postby Truman on Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:06 pm

You assume that if evolution isn't true that creationism can only be the other possiblity. This isn't true in any way but you seem to think it to be. But anyway, wouldn't that be why they never ever bring creationism under real scientific scrutiny when questioned? They simply throw it out and assume it could have never happened because their religion is harmed by the mere idea that creation could have ever occurred at all.
Private Truman

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:10 pm

Could always look to the Drake Equation, again though that is hotly debated, as you can put in any values you want for each of the variables. There are a few general area numbers that are used for certain variables, but again, you can put in what you wish.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby vtmarik on Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:18 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Could always look to the Drake Equation, again though that is hotly debated, as you can put in any values you want for each of the variables. There are a few general area numbers that are used for certain variables, but again, you can put in what you wish.

--Andy

The drake equation? The album by Tub Ring? *checks wikipedia*

Oh, new evidence. Something to read up on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

According to the article, it mentions that the Rare Earth hypothesis may refute it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_Earth_hypothesis

EDIT: The only problem with these two things is that they assume the same requirements for alien life that they do for human life to a certain extent. Thanks to my young life watching shows like Star Trek and SeaQuest, I can envision the possibility of life that can have other forms. Crystalline life, rock life, sentient clouds of gas. These are the alternate forms of life i'm talking about.
Last edited by vtmarik on Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet vtmarik

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:21 pm

Wikipedia is a scary frontier, 1984-esque. Essentially, if enough people get behind a certain idea, they can make it fact, and erase others that they don't agree with. **chills run down his spine**

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby vtmarik on Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:23 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Wikipedia is a scary frontier, 1984-esque. Essentially, if enough people get behind a certain idea, they can make it fact, and erase others that they don't agree with. **chills run down his spine**

--Andy

Yeah, but their articles about scientific stuff are referenced and cited so you can check up on them. These are the kinder, gentler side of the evil empire.
Cadet vtmarik

Postby misscrystal on Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:36 pm

I've heard so many crazy thoeries from my dad I'm not sure which to post, but this is one of my favorites....

Imagine you're a scientist who lives on a planet where cloning native life forms is illegal.

Further imagine that some of your colleagues have discovered a planet that may be able to support some sort of lab created life form (whether or not it's got it's own life forms already). Don't you think you might be more than a little tempted to create something and turn it loose on this foreign planet just to see what would happen?

I would, but then again I'm a mad scientist....

It's fun to theorize and see where your imagination takes you.

-----

And for the record....I do believe that there is a very real possibility that life does exsist outside of our little world.
Corporal misscrystal

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby vtmarik on Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:38 pm

Hm, well, I'd be cloning people already in a secret facility deep within some jungle like Dr. Vornoff in Bride of the Monster, but that's an interesting thought experiment. I'd definitely shoot VT 5 into space and let him flourish on another planet.
Cadet vtmarik

Postby gavin_sidhu on Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:03 am

tough subject to come up with an answer.

I believe there is life on planets other than earth, but i dont think the life is as intelligent or more intelligent than humans.

I dont believe in alien UFO's because i think to travel the huge distances these aliens would have to travel in order to get to Earth, machines and such wont be able to do it, you would need something vaguely like teleporting.

Also i think that the life on other planets wont be based on an element we know. I personally discredit all we learn today about chemistry and the periodic table elements. I bet the ancient greeks thought like us, thinking all their theories were right, but as time went along, the human race found that the elements they had then (water, fire, earth, wind). The way we view the world is extremely likely to be completely incorrect, all our theories are probably wrong, but they are the best way we explain our circumstances.

Edit: rereading looks like ive went off track, anyway it was my chemistry teacher that put all these ideas into my head.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Pedronicus on Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:12 am

I'm very suprised that there aren't more UFO's captured on mobile phone cameras.

I've never been into video and stuff - But you can't get a mobile phone with a colour screen now, that doesn't have a video built in to it.

Why aren't there more UFO's being caught as we all walk around with a video in our pockets?
Highest position 7th. Highest points 3311 All of my graffiti can be found here
Major Pedronicus

Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby gavin_sidhu on Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:35 am

It seems that the majority of UFO occurences occured when the world was at a hightened alert, the cold war and WWII are prime examples. Since the 1970's its been rather quite UFO wise.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

PreviousNext

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?