Conquer Club

Who was the greatest Canadian Prime Minister?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

The greatest Canadian Prime Minister of All Time?

Total votes : 0

Re: Who was the greatest Canadian Prime Minister?

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon May 18, 2009 9:29 am

Gozar wrote:Wouldn't excluding one language from being official only aid in creating division?

If every child is fluent in (the same) 2 languages, then they can communicate in either. That would be ideal. However, that is rarely possible, for a lot of reasons. This means that some people will always be unable to communicate with others. That creates the division.

I fully believe in teaching languages, but I think requiring everyone to learn 2 languages would limit the knowledge of third languages too severely. I don't care if children know English and Russian, English and Chinese or English and Spanish. The more languages the better, but knowing a Nation's language is first and foremost. In our case (the US), its English. If groups of kids all know English, they can talk and debate together to make our democracy function. The other language is then an added bonus.

You don't have to look just at Canada. If you find a country with multiple languages, they either unite under one common, official and practical tongue (often English in today's world) or you find a nation that is heavily divided. IN fact, where there are multiple official languages, division is generally what you find above all.
Gozar wrote:I think our bilingual status is indicative of our acceptance.

And it isn't just Quebec that is bilingual, New Brunswick is also a bilingual province, and has never had a secession vote.

True Bilingualism, everyone in a population being truly fluent in 2 languages would be wonderful. However, my observation is that this is not happening. Many in France barely know enough French to order from a menu or find directions, never mind debate politics and many French Canadiens don't know sufficient English to properly communicate.

And... Canada is a pretty stable, relatively polite and peaceful country. If YOU cannot really and truly make this bilingualism work, how can another, larger and more complex nation (much more diverse is virtually all ways) hope to do so?

However, I suppose this is heading off topic, so I will begin a new thread.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby ben79 on Mon May 18, 2009 11:16 am

Gozar wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:
notyou2 wrote:My Canada includes Quebec, and the majority of the Quebec people also chose Canada =D>

Not being Canadien, my opinion on this is not relevant. However, I think there is an approaching parallel in Mexican Americans/Spanish speakers and French Canadiens.

I think we perhaps need to take warning from the divisions and find a way not to have more divisions here in the US than already exist. One, universal, OFFICIAL language seems a good route. That, and expanded teaching of many different languages, particularly Spanish, but also other languages where the teachers are available, in ELEMENTARY school and not high school!

Wouldn't excluding one language from being official only aid in creating division?

I think our bilingual status is indicative of our acceptance.

And it isn't just Quebec that is bilingual, New Brunswick is also a bilingual province, and has never had a secession vote.

false QuƩbec is not a bilingual province, it's a french province, read your law people, but it's true that 1/7 of the population speak english and other languages.
Lieutenant ben79

Postby Timminz on Mon May 18, 2009 12:10 pm

Canada is a bilingual country. Quebec is officially french, NB officially bilingual, the rest officially english. When I have children, regardless of whether I'm living in Halifax, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, or anywhere else, they will be enrolled in a french-immersion program. To me, the combination of the two languages is an important part of Canadian culture, and my children will reap the benefits of being fully bilingual.
Captain Timminz

Postby notyou2 on Mon May 18, 2009 12:24 pm

In New Brunswick, we have French immersion. This is a program where English children are taught all subjects in French, except English of course. It started one year after I started school, so I missed it, but I believe it is working. The first graduates are now in their mid 40's and are starting to fill jobs that have authority. All this takes time. Change does not happen overnight, and the populace must be committed to the cause or it won't work.
Captain notyou2

Postby clapper011 on Mon May 18, 2009 12:27 pm

lets not have a repeat of the other day huh guys.....with the spam threads.
Corporal 1st Class clapper011

Postby Timminz on Mon May 18, 2009 12:35 pm

clapper011 wrote:lets not have a repeat of the other day huh guys.....with the spam threads.

Um... have you even read this thread? It is quite real, and ABSOLUTELY NOT SPAM. As a Canadian yourself, why not join in on the discussion, rather than accusing us of spamming?
Captain Timminz

Postby Timminz on Mon May 18, 2009 12:37 pm

hecter wrote:Chretien, fo sho. He was a PM with attitude! He didn't take shit from nobody! He once beat up a reporter

The guy was actually a protestor, not a reporter. Doesn't change the fact that Cretien choked him thefuckout.
Captain Timminz

Postby clapper011 on Mon May 18, 2009 12:39 pm

Timminz wrote:
clapper011 wrote:lets not have a repeat of the other day huh guys.....with the spam threads.

Um... have you even read this thread? It is quite real, and ABSOLUTELY NOT SPAM. As a Canadian yourself, why not join in on the discussion, rather than accusing us of spamming?

i was referring to 2 threads being "who was the" :roll: never said this was actually a spam thread.. i merely warned not to start a bunch of the similar. simple ;)
Corporal 1st Class clapper011

Postby Timminz on Mon May 18, 2009 12:42 pm

clapper011 wrote:
Timminz wrote:

i was referring to 2 threads being "who was the" :roll: never said this was actually a spam thread.. i merely warned not to start a bunch of the similar. simple ;)

Oh well then, carry on. Good work. =D>
Captain Timminz

Postby hecter on Mon May 18, 2009 4:33 pm

Player, I think you feel that the Quebec problem is more of a problem than it really is. The French people feel that they want to keep and create their own culture, so they pretty much do. They do a few things independent of the rest of the country, but it really isn't that big of a deal. At least, in my eyes. It's kind of nice, actually. It's like a sub-nation in our nation, but I'd hardly call us a nation divided. Of course, some people are a bit extreme and want to separate, but it's doubtful they will actually succeed. And even with the separatists not getting their way, I still don't think even they care all that much. Being half french and having half my family down there, I've never, ever felt unwelcome in Quebec (and for the record, I speak next to zero French [despite 8 years of French immersion]). Just about all of them in my experience are perfectly content where they are...
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon May 18, 2009 7:42 pm

hecter wrote:Player, I think you feel that the Quebec problem is more of a problem than it really is. The French people feel that they want to keep and create their own culture, so they pretty much do. They do a few things independent of the rest of the country, but it really isn't that big of a deal. At least, in my eyes. It's kind of nice, actually. It's like a sub-nation in our nation, but I'd hardly call us a nation divided. Of course, some people are a bit extreme and want to separate, but it's doubtful they will actually succeed. And even with the separatists not getting their way, I still don't think even they care all that much. Being half french and having half my family down there, I've never, ever felt unwelcome in Quebec (and for the record, I speak next to zero French [despite 8 years of French immersion]). Just about all of them in my experience are perfectly content where they are...

Actually, given the way the other thread went, I have to say comparing Quebec to attitudes about Spanish in the US is just plain wrong.

The only thing I would say is that I think they feel it is more of a problem in Quebec than elsewhere. However, Canada is also a much more peaceful country generally than the US.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Timminz on Mon May 18, 2009 7:54 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
hecter wrote:Player, I think you feel that the Quebec problem is more of a problem than it really is. The French people feel that they want to keep and create their own culture, so they pretty much do. They do a few things independent of the rest of the country, but it really isn't that big of a deal. At least, in my eyes. It's kind of nice, actually. It's like a sub-nation in our nation, but I'd hardly call us a nation divided. Of course, some people are a bit extreme and want to separate, but it's doubtful they will actually succeed. And even with the separatists not getting their way, I still don't think even they care all that much. Being half french and having half my family down there, I've never, ever felt unwelcome in Quebec (and for the record, I speak next to zero French [despite 8 years of French immersion]). Just about all of them in my experience are perfectly content where they are...

Actually, given the way the other thread went, I have to say comparing Quebec to attitudes about Spanish in the US is just plain wrong.

The only thing I would say is that I think they feel it is more of a problem in Quebec than elsewhere. However, Canada is also a much more peaceful country generally than the US.

The Canada/Quebec issue, is hugely different from the USA/Mexican immigrant issue.
Captain Timminz

Postby notyou2 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:41 pm

Especially if Drumph has his way.
Captain notyou2

Postby riskllama on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:05 pm

#rememberOka
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:42 pm

Laurier by a mile. I can't understand why any of the others have any votes at all.
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby BoganGod on Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:17 am

Dukasaur wrote:Laurier by a mile. I can't understand why any of the others have any votes at all.

That is why this site is going to hell on a long and slippery decline. A distinct lack of conceptional awareness. Lack of understanding, :( so sad
Corporal BoganGod

Postby owenshooter on Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:57 am

Terrence and Phillip...-Bj

Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Serbia on Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:07 pm

Diefenbaker earned my vote.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby riskllama on Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:51 pm

Serbia wrote:Diefenbaker earned my vote.

I had sex in his house.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby saxitoxin on Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:12 pm

riskllama wrote:

I had sex in his house.

Did he watch?
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby riskllama on Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:58 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
riskllama wrote:

I had sex in his house.

Did he watch?

he's been dead a long time, saxi...
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby saxitoxin on Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:12 pm

riskllama wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:
riskllama wrote:

I had sex in his house.

Did he watch?

he's been dead a long time, saxi...

you coulda had sex in his house a long time ago
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby riskllama on Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:33 pm

was about 8-9 years ago, to a wedding in Prince Albert, SK.
* I wore a tweed jacket*
Lieutenant riskllama

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,