Conquer Club

Brain Chips

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Brain Chips

Postby GabonX on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:22 am

The era of the real-life bionic man may be a little bit closer after scientists in the U.S. announced they had successfully implanted a chip into the brain of a quadriplegic man enabling him to use a computer and operate a robotic arm.

Professor John Donoghue of Brown University, who led the research, told CNN the breakthrough heralded the "dawn of the age of neurotechnology" after the results of the study were published in the latest edition of Nature.

The device, known as BrainGate, enabled 25-year-old Matthew Nagle to perform basic tasks such as moving a computer cursor, changing TV channels and even operating the fingers on a prosthetic hand.
"We have devices that can put signals into the brain that help treat disorders and restore function but we don't have devices for getting signals back out of the brain," said Donoghue.

"That's where we have really provided something new and that's really opening up a new vista for the field."

Donoghue said the long-term goal of the study was to develop brain computer interfaces (BCIs) that would enable the paralyzed to move their limbs.

"This study shows it is possible for someone with a longstanding spinal cord injury to use the brain signals from the movement areas of their brain to control the world again. We hope that one day we can physically repair the nervous system by connecting brain activity back up to the muscles and allowing them to move again."

But some futurists believe that could be the tip of the iceberg, with nanotechnological advances enabling the creation of chip implants small enough to sit within the human nervous system and cybernetic progress one day enabling the blind to see, the deaf to hear and the paralysed to walk.

Beyond alleviating the effects of severe disabilities, normal functioning humans could also benefit from "upgrades" to improve intelligence, sensory awareness or simply to counter the effects of aging.

Donoghue said such developments remained a long way off: "I think for the foreseeable future the center that picks up these brain signals needs to be on the inside. That requires surgery and I just don't see us having surgery."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/07 ... index.html

Three short years later...

They can’t extract secret terrorist plots yet, but Utah bioengineers have implanted a brain chip in human test subjects that enables researchers to download brain data onto hard drives. The team working with the chip is hoping to make immediate improvements in the lives of people with epilepsy, paralysis or blindness, but say the chips may one day enable brain-native Internet browsing or most any other function currently possible with a computer.

The Utah Electrode Array’s purpose is analogous to a modem: It relays data from the brain to a computer, and vice-versa. It may soon enable thought control of bionic limbs like Luke Skywalker’s in Star Wars and, further in the future, may help the blind to see.

Neural Engineering Lab supervisor and University of Utah assistant professor Bradley Greger describes the chip as “a platform technology that is going to enable many, many new things.” With a grant from the National Institutes of Health, Greger and dozens of other scientists are pioneering brain-computing technology.

http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/article- ... d-see.html

"It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes"
-Kane

A Question:

Despite the obvious breach of ethics, when these things begin coming to fruition could there be a push for mind control in a physical sense?

:?:
Spazz Arcane wrote:If birds could swim and fish could fly I would awaken in the morning to the sturgeons cry. If fish could fly and birds could swim I'd still use worms to fish for them.
saxitoxin wrote:I'm on Team GabonX
Captain GabonX

Re: Brain Chips

Postby SultanOfSurreal on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:29 am

this is bullshit, your thread title made me think lays was rolling out a new flavor
Private SultanOfSurreal

Postby GabonX on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:30 am

Missed you Sultan :mrgreen:
Spazz Arcane wrote:If birds could swim and fish could fly I would awaken in the morning to the sturgeons cry. If fish could fly and birds could swim I'd still use worms to fish for them.
Captain GabonX

Postby john9blue on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:27 pm

How exactly is this a breach of ethics? I still stand by the idea that we will not be able to create consciousness because I think humans are more than material. In fact, as one of my profs is fond of saying, "computers are dumb" and only do exactly what you tell them to do. ;)
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby GabonX on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:41 pm

We are more than matter but matter is a big part of our existence. If something goes wrong with our matter it is not a good thing.

I don't necessarily think the chips themselves are a breach of ethics, but rather using them for mind control or forcing people to get them for one reason or another.

Do you really not see what is wrong with these things?
Captain GabonX

Postby john9blue on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:10 pm

Mind control would be a breach of ethics. You're saying that the government will force people to get these installed? :?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
Captain john9blue

Postby GabonX on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:11 pm

john9blue wrote:Mind control would be a breach of ethics. You're saying that the government will force people to get these installed? :?

No

I asked a question. Even if the government didn't "force" people to get these things, the potential for abuse in those who would get them would exist. Would education still be necessary or could we simply "download" everything we would need to know? Would the ability to reference information instantly and internally be just as good?

Imagine a world where you don't need an external device to browse the internet because the hardware is built in. Consider that the distinction between a computer virus, and a virus which affects people, may begin to blur...
Captain GabonX

Postby john9blue on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:46 pm

I think that as long as we retain our critical thinking skills (which are located in a different area of the brain than memory) then there is no problem with having direct mental access to digital information. It would probably be possible to distinguish the source of the information, because when you learn something today, it usually comes with a variety of sensory information... as opposed to a digital database where the information is raw.

Then again, I'm no neurologist, and how exactly they are capable of engineering the human brain, and to what extent, is beyond me.

Anyone who has read this week's chapter of One Piece will notice some interesting parallels... :lol:
Captain john9blue

Postby oVo on Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:22 am

SultanOfSurreal wrote:this is bullshit, your thread title made me think lays was rolling out a new flavor

I'll wait for spicy bar-b-que flavor brain chips.
Major oVo

Postby GabonX on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:08 pm

Give it a couple years. They'll probably have a signal for that..
Captain GabonX

Postby VidaParis on Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:42 am

john9blue wrote:Mind control would be a breach of ethics. You're saying that the government will force people to get these installed? :?

Hey. I agree with the fact that controlling what happens in the brain of a man has a violation of ethics. I believe that this is a violation of rights. Also I want to say that we need to develop our brain. We need to write more. And then we need to check our papers on the service PapersOwl Canada. This service does my assignments. Thank you for attention.
New Recruit VidaParis

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,