Conquer Club

The Championships - 1v1 - [t4mcr53s2]

For finished TPA, Championship and other great tournaments of the past

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Re: The Championships - 1v1 - [Round 3]

Postby Jurasu on Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:34 pm

Thanks for the hard work!

I would second Jippd in some sort of warning or set time. I've had some games where my opponent moved immediately and didn't say anything. Would be nice to have a chance to get snaps, even if its not explicitly in the rules
Major Jurasu

Postby georgizhukov on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:31 am

Any reason why out of 15 games, I had 4 first turns? How is that balanced? Not to mention in 1 of the 4 the guy dropped 3 of the 4 +1 auto-deploys to my 0.

Georgi
Colonel georgizhukov

Postby Jurasu on Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:16 pm

Random chance sucks. I only had the first turn in 3 of my 15. But hey, players can turn it around, right georgi? :P
Major Jurasu

Postby agentcom on Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:29 am

I'm not sure that we need a heads up. I wouldn't want the fact that we knew what time the round was supposed to be out to be an excuse to try to take your turn as quick as possible after that. I haven't had much trouble with snaps this turn (partly because I was fortunate with a lot of first turns). But there's one guy being a total douche bag about it:

Game 14341264

(His game chat is a response to the comments I left on his wall) Basically, his first turn obscured whether or not he has a bonus, so I'm having to throw all my troops there assuming he does have the bonus.

Edit: He's pretty much refused to post the info. Jackass. I see he has a 4.6 rating, which is pretty unsurprising given what he's doing here.

Edit 2: ... and the guy expects other people to wait for him to snap though Game 10415191

If you have any games against this guy, be sure to give him the rating he deserves.

show: Edit 3 new info
Last edited by agentcom on Fri May 02, 2014 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Colonel agentcom

Postby cooldeals on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:57 am

Can someone explain to me why I lost the tiebreaker to make it to Round 3?

The following players in my group only had 7 wins in Round 2:
Advanced:
KuchTheWiser - beat patrick1234321
WPBRJ - beat cooldeals, beat KuchTheWiser
patrick1234321 -beat WPBRJ

Did not Advance:
cooldeals - beat KuchTheWiser, beat patrick1234321

chapcrap wrote:][size=85][i]Notes:
  • Wins Reset after each round
  • No tiebreaker games will be played. Ties are broken as such:
    • Head to Head games played throughout the tournament
    • Number of Wins going second
    • Seed at start of Round
    • Player Score at Time of sign up

So I know I win the Head to head having won 2 games against the group of us with only 7 wins. So how was I the only one not to advance? I went something like 20-9 in this tournament only to be kicked by a tiebreaker that doesn't seem to be accurately enforced and is posted nowhere. By rules it would appear that myself and WPBRJ should have advanced by the first tiebreaker followed by one other.
Colonel cooldeals

Postby agentcom on Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:29 pm

The scoreboard doesn't appear to be updating properly. It has everyone with 0 active games.
Colonel agentcom

Postby shoop76 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:18 am

cooldeals wrote:Can someone explain to me why I lost the tiebreaker to make it to Round 3?

Advanced:

Did not Advance:

• Seed at start of Round

So I know I win the Head to head having won 2 games against the group of us with only 7 wins. So how was I the only one not to advance? I went something like 20-9 in this tournament only to be kicked by a tiebreaker that doesn't seem to be accurately enforced and is posted nowhere. By rules it would appear that myself and WPBRJ should have advanced by the first tiebreaker followed by one other.

The tiebreaks for the round are calculated from all players that are tied, not by individual groups. This means head to head can't be used. Ties will be broken by winds going second.
Colonel shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby cooldeals on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:21 am

shoop76 wrote:
cooldeals wrote:Can someone explain to me why I lost the tiebreaker to make it to Round 3?

Advanced:

Did not Advance:

• Seed at start of Round

The tiebreaks for the round are calculated from all players that are tied, not by individual groups. This means head to head can't be used. Ties will be broken by winds going second.

Can you show me where that's posted in the rules? I see no reason why head to head would be skipped when it can be easily applied in a group situation. If head to head was only a tiebreaker for when only 2 players are tied it should be stated.
Colonel cooldeals

Postby shoop76 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:25 pm

It was determined last round that head to head was not a fair tiebreak because not everyone had played each other that were tied. Also some players had played multiple games against players with same win amount whilst others had played few or even none. Thus it was determined that head to head could not be used as a fair tiebreak. The 2nd and if needed 3rd tiebreak were used.
Colonel shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby Swifte on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:35 pm

Ok.. but in this case, for round 2 players were grouped and everyone played eachother in their groups, and the top X from each group were supposed to advance.. so I don't see how there's any issue with using head to head (in round 2) to determine who advanced from round 2. It's a totally different situation from round 1.
Colonel Swifte

Postby agentcom on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:35 am

Swifte wrote:Ok.. but in this case, for round 2 players were grouped and everyone played eachother in their groups, and the top X from each group were supposed to advance.. so I don't see how there's any issue with using head to head (in round 2) to determine who advanced from round 2. It's a totally different situation from round 1.

Yeah, this sounds right to me. But I'm not sure how you fix it now ...

Also, still wondering what's up with the scoreboard.
Colonel agentcom

Postby josko.ri on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:26 am

Swifte wrote:Ok.. but in this case, for round 2 players were grouped and everyone played eachother in their groups, and the top X from each group were supposed to advance.. so I don't see how there's any issue with using head to head (in round 2) to determine who advanced from round 2. It's a totally different situation from round 1.

in round 2 advanced 9 the best from each group (I guess this applies under your question) + 10 other the best placed players. The tie breaker which were used for determining the other 10 best placed players.
Major josko.ri

Postby georgizhukov on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:30 pm

What is the ruling on substitutes, this guy has used two different people just in my one game?

P4SSOA

Georgi
Colonel georgizhukov

Postby Leehar on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:40 pm

For the record, I'd just like to commend all my opponents for being willing to share snap info in my Group B where I didn't manage to catch them in the first round.

Usually didn't affect the end results, but I much appreciated the consideration shown!
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby Graceless_ on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:54 pm

agentcom wrote:I'm not sure that we need a heads up. I wouldn't want the fact that we knew what time the round was supposed to be out to be an excuse to try to take your turn as quick as possible after that. I haven't had much trouble with snaps this turn (partly because I was fortunate with a lot of first turns). But there's one guy being a total douche bag about it:

Game 14341264

(His game chat is a response to the comments I left on his wall) Basically, his first turn obscured whether or not he has a bonus, so I'm having to throw all my troops there assuming he does have the bonus.

Edit: He's pretty much refused to post the info. Jackass. I see he has a 4.6 rating, which is pretty unsurprising given what he's doing here.

Edit 2: ... and the guy expects other people to wait for him to snap though Game 10415191

If you have any games against this guy, be sure to give him the rating he deserves.

Wow, that is utterly ridiculous. What a piece of shit.
Sergeant 1st Class Graceless_

Postby Mad777 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:14 pm

Graceless_ wrote:
agentcom wrote:I'm not sure that we need a heads up. I wouldn't want the fact that we knew what time the round was supposed to be out to be an excuse to try to take your turn as quick as possible after that. I haven't had much trouble with snaps this turn (partly because I was fortunate with a lot of first turns). But there's one guy being a total douche bag about it:

Game 14341264

Wow, that is utterly ridiculous. What a piece of shit.

Thanks for sharing, at least we know what to expect playing with him...may be I will foe him anyway....
".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby mcshanester29 on Thu May 01, 2014 12:20 am

I have been out of town the last couple days but from what I see in my notes and this is just a quick answer until I can look through again just to make sure. Cooldeals all players in your group with 7 wins were not in the top 9 to advance, so all players with 7 wins from your group were put in with the other players that didnt make the top 9 in their groups. Since everyone from the different groups did not have head 2 head wins we had to go with the next tie breaker of 'Number of Wins going second'.
Private mcshanester29

Postby agentcom on Thu May 01, 2014 10:47 pm

josko.ri wrote:

in round 2 advanced 9 the best from each group (I guess this applies under your question) + 10 other the best placed players. The tie breaker which were used for determining the other 10 best placed players.

Oh yeah, that sounds really familiar. I'm pretty sure josko is completely right on this one. In other words, the "tie" was not between people in your group but between a bunch of people from different groups. Therefore, the head-to-head couldn't be used. [Edit: oops, fastposted by the man :) ]

Leehar, I've had mostly the same experience. Graceless_ and Madd777 thanks for your support :) Also, I don't want to put another post up, but I'm editing the old one with some new info (in the spoiler at bottom).
Colonel agentcom

Postby Jurasu on Sat May 03, 2014 11:32 am

So how will the second batch of games be sent out? Will it be sometime in the near future? Or are we treating part 1 of round 3 as if it were a separate round, and batch 2 will only get sent out when all the games from batch 1 are finished?
Major Jurasu

Postby mcshanester29 on Sat May 03, 2014 3:09 pm

Jurasu wrote:So how will the second batch of games be sent out? Will it be sometime in the near future? Or are we treating part 1 of round 3 as if it were a separate round, and batch 2 will only get sent out when all the games from batch 1 are finished?

Batch 2 will be sent out as soon as games are finished from batch 1!
Private mcshanester29

Postby agentcom on Thu May 08, 2014 11:15 pm

Were there ever stars advertised as a prize in these tournaments? If not, am I getting confused with something else? Either way, can't wait for more games :) Thanks for running it.
Colonel agentcom

Postby mcshanester29 on Fri May 09, 2014 1:52 am

agentcom wrote:Were there ever stars advertised as a prize in these tournaments? If not, am I getting confused with something else? Either way, can't wait for more games :) Thanks for running it.

As far as I know there never were any
Private mcshanester29

Postby agentcom on Sat May 10, 2014 6:43 pm

Yeah I looked at the other championships tourneys and didn't see any, so I'm probably imagining things. I think stars were announced for the Conquer Cup some time around when the Championships started ... or something :)
Colonel agentcom

Re: The Championships - 1v1

Postby agentcom on Fri May 16, 2014 12:06 pm

Repost:

agentcom wrote:After all the concern about giving people a fair shot at playing, I am noticing that non-officers are 3/22 in their games. I know it's early, but that's an indication that you could perhaps allow the entries based on points as was originally planned. (There's also the caveat that I'm sure there are some lower officers there near the top of the scoreboard that wouldn't have got in based on points alone.)

Then again, it seems like more fun to allow people a bunch of different ways into the tournament. I guess you've just got to balance that against the fact that every time you let someone in through one of the alternative methods, you take the place of someone else who (at least the early results show) would be better suited for the tournament.

Update:

I still have a certain fondness for giving lots of players opportunities through the three different qualification methods, but ... only 1 non-officer has made it to the halfway point. Six more made the first cut which eliminated 25% of the field. I count 10 total, so it looks like only 3 of them were eliminated in the first round. So over a quarter were eliminated when slightly less than 25% of the rest of the field was eliminated. And then 6/7 were eliminated when only 26/89 of the rest of the field were eliminated. (Caveat: I'm looking at who is non-officers right now. Might have been slightly different at start of tourney, but I doubt by much.) Add to this that the fact that the elimination rate for colonels and above is 8/41 at this point where the average of all players is 1/2. Thus, given the very high correlation between score and performance (at least so far), you could definitely make the case for making the entire tourney based on score. (Results may be different in other types of tourneys, like the dubs one. Idk.)

Anyway, just wanted to follow up on that. I was in pretty easily, so it doesn't really affect me one way or another, except for the slight advantage I get from having a slightly weaker field overall. But it is something to think about.
Colonel agentcom

Postby agentcom on Fri May 16, 2014 12:08 pm

chapcrap wrote:Special Gameplay: Fog (Round 2, 3) [50% +1 of bracket round will be fog)

How are you possibly going to do that?
Colonel agentcom

PreviousNext

Return to Super Events/Special Tournaments