Conquer Club

"A Night at the Movies" Tournament (***WINNER I-ANDREI***)

Tournaments Completed in 2022

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Re: "A Night at the Movies" Tournament

Postby Devante on Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:52 pm

Scoreboard updated. Current Standings:

i-andrei 125
Jim1086 115
Scarlet Lady 105
Devante 100
Nut Shot Scott 100
b00060 95
Darin44 92.5
actorday 85
barterer2002 75
Kotaro 72.5
pk62 65
Craig25 57.5
BabySasuke 47.5
i_am_the_North 35
Silvertop 30
JJBrando 15

Final round to decide the finalists will go out in two weeks. May the odds be ever in your favour...
Major Devante

Postby Scarlet Lady on Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:47 am

Did the final round ever go out? Or did I miss it while I was on holiday end of July
Captain Scarlet Lady

Postby Devante on Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:02 pm

No you didn't Scarlet. Thought i'd posted it but missed it. will do so now
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:04 pm

The Godfather…Part II…

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer…

Michael Corleone, no… Don Corleone. That is who you are now. And heavy lies the crown. Following in your fathers’ footsteps as best you can. Guiding the family, your family, while your enemies swell at the gates and those closest to you plot behind your back. Soon they will know. Be easier to be rid of them all. But no. You don’t have to wipe everybody out, just your enemies. If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it’s that you can kill anyone. If only these were simpler times…

New York City, a simpler time for some. But not for you. Vito Andolini. That is the name you were born into, but now you are Vito Corleone. Forced to carve yourself a new path. The name Andolini left at home along with your family, gone but not forgotten. And neither is Don Ciccio. The blood on his hands will be wiped clean one day.

This land is full of opportunities to be shared. But there are those who are greedy and see to step on their own, on hardworking Italian immigrants. For those there is but one choice, and Fanucci needs to have that choice made for him. Need you to help him with that choice. Business grows, and so does your reputation…

Enemies everywhere, and no where to turn. But what to do Michael. An assassination attempt, at your home. At your own home. Where your wife sleeps. Where your children come and play with their toys. In your Home! Roth is the most likely. But he was not alone. But who…

You have become a well-respected community member, they praise you, welcome you. You’re always willing to do a “favor” for a fellow Italian, for any friend of the family that is. Favors have power. There is one more favor you must do, but this one for yourself, one that will require a visit back home, a visit long awaited. It is time to visit an old friend. Time to visit Don Ciccio. Revenge is a dish that tastes best when served cold.

Map – Italy
Settings - Assassin/No Spoils/Chained/Fog/30 Rounds/4 Players
Winning Objective – Make him remember…
Points – 10 Points

My father’s name was Antonio Andolini…and this is for you!

In Havana you found out the truth. That day still plagues you.

I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!

Of all the one’s it could have been, why Fredo. Father never had those closest to him strike out in this way. Well, that’s not true. But he raised you strong, Michael, Don Corleone. And they will pay for what they have done. After the funeral, affairs will be straightened. First Roth, then Pentangeli. And at the end, Fredo. It was always going to be Fredo. It is time for justice to be dealt. A man who can’t protect his family can never be a real man. And the strength of a family, like the strength of an army, lies in its loyalty to each other. It is time for them to see how strong your family is. It is time once again, Don Corleone….

Map – N.Y.C.
Settings – Standard/No Spoils/Chained/Fog/30 Rounds/4 Players
Winning Objective – Clean up affairs
Points – 15 Points

…Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.
Last edited by Devante on Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:18 pm

PM's to the 3 players that invites couldn't be sent to
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:11 pm

Anyone in touch with barterer2002? seems he's gone MIA but i'll reach out here before making adjustments. PK too. Maybe one of you send him a message games up. And Baby take the damn invite
Major Devante

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:07 pm

Devante wrote:Anyone in touch with barterer2002? seems he's gone MIA but i'll reach out here before making adjustments. PK too. Maybe one of you send him a message games up. And Baby take the damn invite

Pretty sure barterer has been gone for awhile.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby Devante on Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:07 pm

With Barterer and PK MIA I will make those games 3 player games instead so this can be wrapped up with a final four facing off
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:47 pm

Field of Dreams

The grass was painted green for Field of Dreams. Filmed on an actual cornfield-turned-baseball diamond in Dyersville, Iowa, a season-long drought led to the need for some cosmetic touch-ups. The dying grass was coated with some green vegetable dye and latex turf paint.

The filming schedule for Field of Dreams was based on the height of the corn. The corn had to be Kevin Costner's height (he's listed as 6'1") or taller when the voice first spoke to him. With a thumbs up from the state of Iowa, filmmakers dammed a nearby creek to make sure the corn had enough water. It worked almost too well; when Costner first hears "If you build it, he will come," he had to walk onto a foot-high platform. Just in case the creek damming failed, fake corn was on standby to be shipped in from Asia.

Field of Dreams star Ray Liotta has never seen the movie. Though Ray Liotta has been told that Field of Dreams is a great movie, he has yet to see it for himself. Liotta's mother was ill while they were filming the movie, which he mentally associates with the movie.

The Italian Job

This is a movie primarily about cars and driving. Sir Michael Caine could not drive at the time the movie was made, and in fact he is never seen driving a car. The only time Charlie Croker is assumed to be driving is the cut between when he picks up his Aston Martin at the garage and in the next shot, when we see it arrive outside the hotel. Caine gets out of a stationary Aston Martin after a further cut. Throughout the drive to Turin, and the entire heist, Croker is always a passenger.

Director Peter Collinson's wife, Lisa Shane, appeared in all of his movies "for luck". Here she appeared at the Mafioso's dinner, as the blonde wife of the visiting American. She was called in at the last minute because Collinson was being sent only tall, dark Italian models, and he wanted "a short, blonde scrubber".

It's a British movie in which the three Mini stunt drivers are French--Rémy Julienne's team--and the three vehicles are blue, red and white--the colors of the French and British flags.

Saving Private Ryan

Robin Williams helped Matt Damon land the part of Private Ryan. While he was developing Saving Private Ryan, Steven Spielberg was busy shooting parts of Amistad in Boston. At the same time, Robin Williams was shooting Good Will Hunting in the same city, so he agreed to meet up with Spielberg while they were both in town, because they’d worked together on Hook and became friends on the set. Williams brought his young co-star Matt Damon along for what was supposed to be a meet-and-greet with one of the world’s greatest living filmmakers. Spielberg saw something in Damon, and two weeks after their meeting, he called him about the part of Private Ryan.

Steven Spielberg created a whole new role for then-unknown Vin Diesel. After Steven Spielberg saw Vin Diesel’s incredible, raw lead performance in the independent drama Strays, which the future Fast & Furious actor also directed, wrote, and produced, he had a whole new role written into Saving Private Ryan just to fit him into the movie. It’s hard to picture a world where Vin Diesel, one of the most universally recognized action movie stars, is completely unknown outside of the indie cinema scene, but that was the case in the mid-‘90s when he was just starting out. He caught the attention of Steven Spielberg and the rest, of course, is history.

The gunfire sound effects are authentic. To acquire the right sound effects for the guns used in the movie, Saving Private Ryan’s sound team went to a live machine gun firing range near Atlanta that was owned by a weapons manufacturer. There, they sourced all of the period-specific weaponry that was being used in the movie, that they needed to find the sounds for, and they just started firing them at the shooting range.
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:01 pm

Braveheart

Up to 1,600 extras were used for the battle scenes. Most were members of the F.C.A., the reserve Irish Army. Different companies usually come from the same area, and rivalries are common. Apparently some of the battle scenes are far more realistic than intended, with rival companies trying to beat the lard out of each other.

"Primae noctis," in which a nobleman has the right to have sex with a common man's bride on her wedding night, has never been used in the history of Britain or Ireland. It would have encouraged rebellions in newly-conquered territories that were already difficult to govern. It was more common on the continent, notably France.

Paul Tucker: The film's Accountant is the English soldier at the end who says "I hope you washed your arse this morning. It's about to be kissed by a king." It was also his last movie as actor.

The Godfather Part 2

Hyman Roth's character is loosely based on real-life mobster Meyer Lansky. Lansky, who at the time of the film's release was living in Miami, reportedly phoned Lee Strasberg and said, "Now, why couldn't you have made me more sympathetic? After all, I am a grandfather."

The door to Vito Corleone's olive-oil business was rigged so that it would not open if a nail was inserted into the lock. Coppola kept this a secret from Leopoldo Trieste, who played Signor Roberto, and his difficulty in opening the door was real. Coppola wanted to film Trieste, a known Italian comedian, improvising his way through the scene. When Genco Abbandando opens the door, Frank Sivero surreptitiously pulls the nail out.

While the word "mafia" is never spoken in The Godfather (1972), it is heard three times in this film, during the Senate hearings. Senator Patrick 'Pat' Geary says, "These hearings on the Mafia..." The committee Chairman says, "You are the head of the most powerful Mafia family in this country." Michael Corleone in his statement says, "Whether it is called 'Mafia' or 'Cosa Nostra' or whatever other name you wish... "
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:51 pm

Nutz draws first blood and picks up 10 points. Be a close run here for final four.
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:46 pm

Busy day. Four games wrapped up. Scarlet Lady and i-andrei assasin their way into the final four with Scarlet picking up wins in both games to put her in second and i-andrei cementing his top position on the board and first pick in final four. Kotaro proves he's top boss by taking NYC

3 games left, current standings are:

i-andrei - 135
Scarlet Lady - 130
Jim1086 - 115
Nut Shot Scott - 110
Devante - 100
b00060 - 95
Darin44 - 92.5
Kotaro - 87.5
actorday - 85
barterer2002 - 75
pk62 - 65
Craig25 - 57.5
BabySasuke - 47.5
i_am_the_North - 35
Silvertop - 30
JJBrando - 15
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:40 pm

Kotaro leaves Italy with revenge in hand. Two games left

Congrats to first two finalists, i-andrei and Scarlet Lady
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:20 am

Seems like final four are pre-decided, just need last two games to wrap up for final verdict and PM's to go out to final two to join i-andrei and Scarlet in the finals. Let's go people. It's Showtime
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:03 pm

And calling it.

Final two to join the finals are Jim1086 and Nut Shot Scott. PM's going out for final pick.

One game still active but at this point it will be for bragging rights and whether Nutz finishes in third or fourth
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:54 pm

Last game still going and no clear winner yet. Finalists have sent map choices and settings. Final round games will all go out at the same time
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:40 pm

Read with classic movie trailer deep voice (Like Don LaFontaine or Redd Pepper)

In a world, where one can change the faith of their destiny

I can’t take on these other players

I must try, I must fight

Where a tournament on a risk like site can break one’s soul

Why do I keep doing this to myself

Where a tournament can separate the men from the boys and the women from the girls

This is so intense

Where one player can rise above the rest

I can do it, I can win

I can’t their too good

In a world where deceit and betrayal are everywhere

Noooooooo!

He said no attacks for three rounds the liar

Only one player can come out victorious

I’m the one

Follow our players as they venture forth through their handpicked games

Baseball no forts, come on

Trench, why trench, not trench, ahhhhh

As one player rises above the rest

Take that and your poker club

Messing with Italy, hold my beer

And the rest fall to ashes

Island of doom, i'll be your doom

This is it, the moment you’ve been waiting for

Why did I join this tournament whyyyyyyyyy

THIS FALL, STAY TUNED FOR THE EPIC SHOWDOWN THAT IS…..”A NIGHT AT THE MOVIES” FINALE!!!!!!!!!

Wow it’s so amazing…..yeahhhhhhh….i’m so happy……..I can’t wait……(crowds throw up hands and shout) amazing tournamentttttttt
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:50 pm

Thanks to everyone who participated up to this point. Was slower pace than expected but at least we all mostly made it to the end and again thanks for everyone's patience. Since only the four finalists move on, we now become a part of the audience and wait to see which one of these guys or gal becomes the undisputed movie Champ.

Game picks were as Follows:

i-andrei - Baseball, Escalating, Fog, No Forts

Scarlet Lady - Italy, Flate Rate, Fog, Chained

Jim1086 - Island of Doom, Escalating, Fog, Chained

Nut Shot Scott - Poker Club, No Spoils, Fog, Chained, Trench

All finalists review and make sure these are correct, check game settings on invite also, if you accept and it's wrong, well too late, so just check them and any issues let me know.

Each game is worth 1 point. Player with the most points wins. Any ties will face a point breaker between the players tied.

Otherwise, good luck to you four
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:38 am

Well, well, well. What a finale it has been. Champagne was thrown in the adulterer's face, hair was pulled, one may or may not have meddled with the finales snack table. It has been a long ride, and no one knows it best then our own DP i-andrei. He held the top the longest and cursed the finales round which caused a reset, only briefly as he was DP'd during that period (please reference viewtopic.php?f=31&t=238601 for further information) but here we are. He stands to remain the movie champ, but wait, there are two games left with only two finished, so a crown must wait if there is to be one for this champ.

Current standings

i-andrei 1
Jim1086 1

Remaining games

Poker Club - Scarlet leads
Island of Doom - i-andrei leads

Now, who will be the movie champ? We shall see. For now, we wait.

I'll be back...
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:18 am

It's official, congratulations to i-andrei for winning the tourney. Thanks again to all who participated. Till next time

Final standings

i-andrei 2
Jim1086 1
Scarlet Lady 1
Major Devante

Re: "A Night at the Movies" Tournament (***WINNER I-ANDREI**

Postby Scarlet Lady on Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:34 am

Thank you Devante for organising this really interesting tourney, it was fun =D> =D> =D>

...and congrats to Andrei =D>
Captain Scarlet Lady

Previous

Return to Completed 2022