Conquer Club

"A Night at the Movies" Tournament (***WINNER I-ANDREI***)

Tournaments Completed in 2022

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Re: "A Night at the Movies" Tournament

Postby Devante on Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:22 pm

Jurassic Park

The T-Rex’s roar in Jurassic Park combines the sounds of a baby elephant, a tiger, and an alligator, and its breath is the sound of a whale’s blow. And the sound of the T-Rex’s footsteps were created by cut sequoias crashing to the ground.

Steven Spielberg wanted the velociraptors to be about 10 feet tall, which was taller than they were known to be. However, during filming, paleontologists uncovered ten-foot-tall specimens of raptors called Utahraptors.

The T-Rex in Jurassic World is the same T-Rex from the end of the 1993 Jurassic Park movie; the scars on its side are from its fight with the velociraptors in the first movie.

The Pelican Brief

In the hotel scene where Darby calls Gavin to give him the instructions to meet her the next day, he eats one of the chocolates on his pillow and throws it down. They show a close up of the chocolates. After Khamel murders Gavin, he walks to the bed, pulls the recording device and eats one of the chocolates. They are now in a different spot on the bed.

It is based on the 1992 novel by John Grisham

Darby knew the car was going to blow up because it failed to start right away. She had noticed this same thing happening to Thomas Callahan's car right before it exploded.

Dunkirk

Filming in Dunkirk took place in the same location as the real historical evacuation

Avoiding the use of CGI, cardboard cut-out props of soldiers and military vehicles were employed to create the illusion of a large army

Nolan reconditioned actual warships for the shoot, including the French Navy destroyer Maillé-Brézé,and reportedly spent $5 million of the budget on a vintage aircraft so as to attach it with IMAX cameras before crashing it on-screen
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:50 pm

The Godfather…

“You never think to protect yourself with real friends. You think it's enough to be an American. All right, the Police protects you, there are Courts of Law, so you don't need a friend like me. But now you come to me and say Don Corleone, you must give me justice. And you don't ask in respect or friendship. And you don't think to call me Godfather; instead, you come to my house on the day my daughter is to be married and you ask me to do murder...for money.” …… “But if you come to me with your friendship, your loyalty, then your enemies become my enemies, and then, believe me, they would fear you...”

Behind every successful fortune there is a crime. I grew up hearing everything I needed to know, was taught what was needed. My father was a great man, and he never wanted this life for me. He was old school, he still believed in respect. And he respected my wishes. He was no different than any powerful man, any man with power, like a president or senator. But that all changed for me, for my family. First Brasi, then Sonny. Damn it Sonny…it was supposed to be you here, not me. And Fredo’s useless. It must be me. With father gone now… it must be. As father would say, revenge is a dish that tastes best when served cold. But now is not the time to be careless. Women and children can be careless, but not men. No. Now is the time to keep our friends close, but our enemies closer. Now is the time to make them an offer they can’t refuse…

Michael…apologies…Don Corleone. That is who you are now. Or who you are on the cusp of becoming. As the baptism takes place, as you stand in place as this child’s future godfather, your plan is put into action, justice begins to unfold. The other Dons, Greene, Tessio, Carlos, all of them. It is time for justice to be dealt. A man who can’t protect his family can never be a real man. And the strength of a family, like the strength of an army, lies in its loyalty to each other. It is time for them to see how strong your family is. It is time, Don Corleone….

Map – New York City
Settings - Terminator/Escalating/Chained/Sunny/30 Rounds/4 Players
Winning Objective – Make them an offer they can’t refuse…
Points – 15 Points

Special Gameplay – 5 points for each player you terminate

“Take the gun. Leave the cannoli.”
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:17 pm

Scoreboard updated

Interesting turn with the last three finished and Jim the only one to achieve Jurassic objective. Current Scoreboard has i-andrei in the lead, Nut Shot Scott and Jim1086 tied for second, and actorday in third. Past the half way point with The Godfather.
Last edited by Devante on Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:19 pm

Zombieland…

Oh, America. I wish I could tell you this was still America…but you can’t have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland. It’s amazing how quickly things can go from bad to a total shit storm. And why am I still alive when everyone around me has turned to meat? It’s because of my list of rules. RULE #1: Cardio. When the virus struck, for obvious reasons, the first ones to go were the fatties. Poor fat bastards, they never stood a chance. Follow the rules to stay alive I say, hell that should be rule number one. No that’s a motto. f*ck it where was I, yes. It’s been two months since it all started. Mad person disease, well, mad zombie disease now. Who would of ever thought something like this would come from the same shit that used to give us a nice juicy T-bone.

Oh well that’s life now, tis the shits and all that. That reminds me, RULE #3: Beware of bathrooms. Don’t let them catch you with your pants down. It doesn’t end well. Nothing like running out of a bathroom pants around your ankles, all bits swinging and having poor old Mary, the nice old lady from next door, now a zombie chasing you and taking a chunk of your tight ass right off. Well, you might have been a bit of an ass anyways, guess half an ass now. Follow the rules or you die. That’s what happens when you don’t follow RULE #2: The double tap. If you’re not sure the undead are really “dead” dead…don’t get stingy with your bullets. One more clean shot to the head and you won’t end up a happy meal.

Moving on. RULE #7: Travel light. Well, broke this rule didn’t we. Now that I’m travelling with Tallahassee. I mean he’s great and all, but he needs you that’s for sure, even if he says you’re a little bitch, I mean I doubt he can really sense that but…anyways back to our current conundrum. You see, we met these girls, Wichita, and her younger sister Little Rock. Now I know what you’re thinking…and yes… 100%...Wichita is totally into me. I mean she and her sister did steal our ride and stuff but that’s just how she flirts is all. She’s not a fan of the rules but it’s growing on her. Only rule they followed was “trust no one. Just you and me”. I mean it’s not bad, if you’re aiming for trash and all that, I mean it fails in comparison to the “rules” rules. I mean what can you do when you’re comparing it to gems like RULE #12: Bounty paper towels, or RULE #18: Limber up, oh, oh, and of course RULE #6: Cast iron skillet. Would be like comparing a AAA steak to a trash panda, just ridiculous.

Anyways, time to get back to our conundrum…

You are Columbus. And along with Tallahassee you navigate this new world together. Now Wichita and Little Rock took your Escalade and supplies, but you’ve got a beat on them. Track them down and take back what’s yours. And who knows along the way you might even meet Bill fucking Murray.

Map – 4 Star Meats
Settings – Doubles/Zombie/Adjacent/Foggy/30 Rounds/4 Players
Winning Objective – Take back what’s yours
Points – 10 Points

Special Gameplay – 5 points for each player of winning team

You got your supplies and joined up as a group. But now it’s time for your most difficult situation yet. Everything has been leading up to this moment. Another set of ruthless travelers kidnapped Wichita and Little Rock and headed towards Pacific Playland. Bill let you know that there is a Twinkie warehouse not far away from it and that is where they were headed. Nothing is going to stop you two from getting there. So, all that’s left now, is to get there and save them. Of course, if you find one of those spongy, yellow, delicious bastards along the way it wouldn’t hurt.

Map – USA 2.1
Settings – Doubles/ Zombie/ Adjacent/Foggy/50 Rounds/4 Players
Winning Objective – Save the girls and take the others out
Points – 15 Points

Special Gameplay – 7.5 points for each player of winning team

“. . . We had hope. We had each other. And without other people, well, you might as well be a zombie."
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:09 pm

Ghost in the Shell

The Matrix, Chappie, and Westworld borrowed themes and outright scenes from 1995 anime film Ghost In The Shell. The Matrix borrowed entire sequences from Ghost in the Shell (1995), from the green text intro sequence, to plugging in through jacks on the neck, to the iconic lobby shootout at the end

The TV series, movies, and manga are significantly different from one another

The characters are highly sexualized in the original Ghost In The Shell (umm, no judgement here Brando, puberty is a weird time)

The Villain in The 2017 Live-Action Adaptation Was Originally Laughing Man, Not Hideo Kuze

The Godfather

The Corleone family surname means “Lionheart” in Italian.

There was a large in-studio fight for the casting of Michael Corleone, as various stars were considered, from Martin Sheen to Jack Nicholson, but Coppola found most of the actors to be too much in the mold of a WASP to play the part. He eventually won the casting battle by getting his guy Al Pacino into the role, much to the chagrin of producer Robert Evans, who referred to Pacino as “The Midget.”

The frightened screams of actor John Marley in the horse head scene are not acting. They’re real because the actor expected to be waking up next to a fake horse, not a bed full of real blood and guts. Yeah, that’s right, it was a real horse head.

The color orange is used frequently throughout The Godfather to represent death, and whenever the orange fruit is shown, it foreshadows an impending death.

Zombieland

Director Ruben Fleischer has openly admitted that Edgar Wright's genre-revitalizing 2004 zom-com Shaun of the Dead was a major reason for wanting to make Zombieland. Additionally, many believe the movie is also partially inspired by the 2009 hit video game Left 4 Dead -- where four players have to fend off waves of zombies

Zombieland was filmed in Georgia in many of the same locations used on The Walking Dead. Recreational marijuana use remains illegal in Georgia to this day, something star Woody Harrelson was arrested for possessing while making the film. Production was delayed for one day as a result.

Prior to his cancer diagnosis, Patrick Swayze was originally offered to make the celebrity cameo appearance that ultimately went to Bill Murray. Swayze would have played a zombie that poked fun at his characters from Ghost and Dirty Dancing.
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:35 pm

Well, it's been a while, but I'll explain that in a moment.

First off, Happy Thanksgiving! to my Southern Neighbours.

Second, Scoreboards been updated. Bottom of very first post. i-andrei is enjoying a 15 point lead followed by myself, barterer, Nutz, and Jimmy boy.

Been some time since last round then, however as any of you that have paid attention know, next movie is "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels". Now this is Baby's pick, and he has been anticipating this one with a feverish pitch. So, trying to be as considerate as I am, I have delayed this role out as much as possible to build that anticipation for him. Unless I completely misunderstood the old chap but I'm sure I didn't. And no need to thank me either big guy, it's the least I can do. It ain't much, but it's honest work. Of course I can only delay this so long, I mean, as soon as I get the old "This tournament needs more games please..." I will no longer be able to delay this any further. For now, Baby gets what Baby wants. Here's looking at you kid...
Major Devante

Postby i-andrei on Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:25 am

Devante wrote:Well, it's been a while, but I'll explain that in a moment.

First off, Happy Thanksgiving! to my Southern Neighbours.

Second, Scoreboards been updated. Bottom of very first post. i-andrei is enjoying a 15 point lead followed by myself, barterer, Nutz, and Jimmy boy.

Been some time since last round then, however as any of you that have paid attention know, next movie is "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels". Now this is Baby's pick, and he has been anticipating this one with a feverish pitch. So, trying to be as considerate as I am, I have delayed this role out as much as possible to build that anticipation for him. Unless I completely misunderstood the old chap but I'm sure I didn't. And no need to thank me either big guy, it's the least I can do. It ain't much, but it's honest work. Of course I can only delay this so long, I mean, as soon as I get the old "This tournament needs more games please..." I will no longer be able to delay this any further. For now, Baby gets what Baby wants. Here's looking at you kid...

Or he can just check the scoreboard and see the maps :)
Captain i-andrei

Postby Devante on Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:37 am

Had to ruin it eh i-andrei. Was curious whether he'd see them. Very well then...
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:41 am

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels…

Three card brag
is a simple form of poker;

you get three cards only

and these you can't change.

If you don't look at them.
you're a `blind man' ,

you only put in half the stake.

Three of any kind
is the highest,

but the odds are
four hundred and twenty-five to one
against getting any three.

Then there’s a running flush,
you know, all the same suit, in order,

then a straight
and a flush and a pair,

and finally, whatever
the highest card you’ve got.

Now, there are some telltale
signs that can help,

but they took me long enough
to learn so I’m not telling you.

They can only help a player,
not make one.

So, d'you want to play?

Squeeze in now for a tale lads, left leg, right leg, come on now, they call it walking. See, ‘Ed can hustle, a few quid here and there. But his real talent lies in cards, and gambling with cards. So then, Eddy, Tom, Soap, and Bacon got together 100,000 pounds they did, all for Eddy to grab a seat at Harry’s table. “Hatchet Harry” that is. You know him, he’s got that monster of his, ‘Barry the Baptist. See Barry makes sure the administrative side of the business runs harmoniously, mainly by drowning wankers. So not the kind of bastards to be stepping on their shoes if you know what I mean. But see, Ed’s got a rare ability he does, seems to make cards transparent. So, the boys decided those shoes were worth steppin on they did. Stupid bastards the whole lot. You see, the boys never stood a chance you see. Game was rigged. Old Hatchet and Barry made sure of it. So, d’you still want to play?

Map – Poker Club
Settings – 1vs1/No Spoils/Adjacent/Foggy/Trench/2 Players
Winning Objective – Win the hand
Points – 5 Points

Special Gameplay – So that Hatchet doesn’t have all the fun, three card Brag tip courtesy of JBlombier; viewtopic.php?f=6&t=217960

So lads, you lost you did. Now you owe old Hatchet Harry and the Baptist 500,000 pounds. That’s 500,000 pounds not pence you tit. Now, things have escalated they have. Big Chris and Little Chris are after ya now, and nothing like having the Almighty’s enforcers on your tail. But they not the only ones. Rory Breaker and that twit Winston out looking for you. And dogs crew along with Gary and Dean are out and about. Dead as mutton if you don’t get away from all of them bastards you will be. And don’t forget to grab those hippies stash too. D’you understand boys? Or d’you want me to draw you a picture? You don’t seem to know your arsehole from your earhole at times. Ya listening or gone daft lads? Come on now you dippy bastards, get on with it will ya… and don’t be such a mincer…

Map – England
Settings – Quads/Escalating/Adjacent/Foggy/8 Players
Winning Objective – Beat them twits
Points – 20 Points

Special Gameplay – 5 points for each player of winning team
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:24 pm

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels

The gun joke wasn’t scripted. “Have you forgotten those guns, you dozy prat?” The forgotten gun joke was actually added because the prop guns were actually forgotten that day! With no time to go and get them ready for the scene, Ritchie and Statham had to make a joke out of it.

Jason Statham was selling perfume on the street when Ritchie found him. While doing some modelling work, Statham supplemented his income by selling fake jewelry and perfume on the street – “hustling”, as he put it. A real life street vendor, similar to the character he plays in the opening of the movie. Ritchie had already cast Statham’s friend, Vinnie Jones, and besides, who better to play a con artist?

The movie was dedicated to Lenny McLean, who played Barry the Baptist. He died of cancer exactly one month before the movie’s debut in England. Lenny McLean was a famous bare knuckle boxer before he became an actor.

On Vinnie Jones’ first day of filming, he had just been released from police custody — he had been arrested for beating up his neighbor.
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:11 pm

Rogue One...

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away...

…It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire. During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the Death Star, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet. Pursued by the Empire's sinister agents, Princess Leia races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her people and restore freedom to the galaxy...

The awesome yellow planet of Tatooine emerges from a total eclipse, her two moons glowing against the darkness. A tiny silver spacecraft, a Rebel Blockade Runner firing lasers from the back of the ship, races through space. It is pursued by a giant Imperial Star Destroyer, it begins to fire hundreds of deadly laserbolts, they streak from the Imperial Star Destroyer, they miss, for now…

…An explosion rocks the ship as two robots, R2-D2 and C-3PO struggle to make their way through the shaking, bouncing passageway. Both robots are old and battered. R2 is a short, claw-armed tripod. His face is a mass of computer lights surrounding a radar eye. C-3PO, on the other hand, is a tall, slender robot of human proportions. He has a gleaming bronze-like metallic surface of an Art Deco design. Another blast shakes them as they struggle along their way…

This is what comes after…but before…before this…to get to this point in the story…is what happens next, and some would dare say, there is no new hope if not for what happens before what comes next…this you shall see…once you understand what you see from before...then understand what came next you will…

Jyn Erso and Captain Cassian have gone rogue and attempt to secure the Death Star plans with a small team of volunteers. It's against the wishes of the council of the Rebel Alliance; who’ve basically decided to surrender. Once the council catches wind of the impromptu mission, though, they deploy all their forces to help Jyn and Cassian. As the fleet is scrambling to leave the base and launch their attack, R2-D2 and C-3PO attempt to escape Yavin…

Why and How…do not matter...these things do not…B from A is all that does…

You are attempting to flee with your trusty side kick, but this is harder than it seems. Flee by destroying enough of the Empire or simply get the key Rebel ship out. This is your goal, the only one. Your life means nothing in contrast to the cost…to freedom…safe travels my friend…

Map - Trafalaxy
Settings - Doubles/Nuclear/Parachute/Foggy/30 Rounds/4 Player
Winning Objective – Get safe or get out (…win you shall…)
Points - 20 Points to winning team
Special Gameplay – Nuclear Weapons
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:32 pm

V for Vendetta…

“Remember, remember,
the fifth of November,
the gunpowder treason and plot.
I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason
should ever be forgot.”

Guy's body hangs in silhouette, lifeless against a red morning sun. The death of a man, but not of an idea, not of that spirit…

Our story begins, as these stories often do, with a young up-and-coming politician. He's a deeply religious man and a member of the conservative party. He is completely single-minded convictions and has no regard for the political process. Eventually, his party launches a special project in the name of 'national security'. At first, it is believed to be a search for biological weapons, and it is pursued regardless of its cost. However, the true goal of the project is power, complete and total hegemonic domination. The project, however, ends violently... but the efforts of those involved are not in vain, for a new ability to wage war is born from the blood of one of their victims. Imagine a virus - the most terrifying virus you can, and then imagine that you and you alone have the cure. But if your ultimate goal is power, how best to use such a weapon? It is at this point in our story that along comes a spider. He is a man seemingly without a conscience; for whom the ends always justify the means, and it is he who suggests that their target should not be an enemy of the country but rather the country itself. Three targets are chosen to maximize the effect of the attack: a school, a tube station, and a water-treatment plant. Several hundred die within the first few weeks. Until at last the true goal comes into view. Before the St. Mary's crisis, no one would have predicted the outcome of the elections. No one. But after the election, lo and behold, a miracle. Some believed that it was the work of God himself, but it was a pharmaceutical company controlled by certain party members made them all obscenely rich. But the true genius of the plan was the fear. A year later, several extremists are tried, found guilty, and executed while a memorial is built to canonize their victims. Fear became the ultimate tool of this government. And through it our politician was ultimately appointed to the newly created position of High Chancellor. The rest, as they say, is history…

“Remember, remember,
the fifth of November,
should ever be forgot.”

These were almost the very first words he spoke to me, and, in a way, that is where this story began, four hundred years ago, in a cellar beneath the Houses of Parliament. In 1605, Guy Fawkes attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament. He was caught in the cellars with enough gunpowder to level most of London. Sometimes I wonder where we would be if he hadn't failed. I wonder if it would have mattered. I suppose the answer is in the rhyme. More than the man, what we must remember is the plot itself. For in the plot, we find more than just a man, we find the idea of that man, the spirit of that man, and that is what we must never forget. This, then, is the story of that idea, of that spirit that began with an anarchist's plot four hundred years ago…

He saved me, he did. Although it would not seem like so to some. For what came after was as terrible as it was liberating. For all those in doubt, that night he saved me…

Map – Classic cities: London
Settings – Doubles/No Spoils/Chained/Foggy/Trench/20 rounds
Winning Objective – Save her
Points – 5 Points to winning/surviving player

Special Gameplay – 5 points to each player of winning team still alive at games conclusion. Lose the game or get eliminated even if your team wins, no points. Save her…

“Remember, remember,
the fifth of November,
should ever be forgot.”

Good evening, London.

Allow me first to apologize for this interruption.

I do, like many of you, appreciate the comforts of every day routine- the security of the familiar, the tranquility of repetition. I enjoy them as much as any bloke. But in the spirit of commemoration, whereby those important events of the past, usually associated with someone's death or the end of some awful bloody struggle, a celebration of a nice holiday, I thought we could mark this November the 5th, a day that is sadly no longer remembered, by taking some time out of our daily lives to sit down and have a little chat.

There are of course those who do not want us to speak.

I suspect even now, orders are being shouted into telephones, and men with guns will soon be on their way.

Why?

Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

And the truth is,

there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there?

Cruelty and injustice, intolerance, and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.

How did this happen?

Who's to blame?

Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent.

Last night I sought to end that silence. Last night I destroyed the Old Bailey, to remind this country of what it has forgotten. More than four hundred years ago a great citizen wished to embed the fifth of November forever in our memory. His hope was to remind the world that fairness, justice, and freedom are more than words, they are perspectives. So, if you've seen nothing, if the crimes of this government remain unknown to you, then I would suggest you allow the fifth of November to pass unmarked. But if you see what I see, if you feel as I feel, and if you would seek as I seek, then I ask you to stand beside me one year from tonight, outside the gates of Parliament,

and together we shall give them a fifth of November that shall never, ever be forgot.

ONE YEAR LATER…NOVEMBER THE 5TH…

Much has occurred this past year, but the spirit never wavered, the idea never died. Liberation cannot be held back when focused as such it was. A pinhole in a dam over time reveals the structures weaknesses. An onion layer by layer peeled back eventually reaches the core. So was this now slowly revealed, peeled back, weaknesses brought to light. No one was safe. no one who held blame that is. Remember, remember, the fifth of November… I know of no reason why should ever be forgot…

Battered but not beaten. Bruised but not dead, not yet, but soon, you feel it. The man but not the spirit. I shall always love you, he says. My love, Ave Atque vale, she replies…

Remember, remember, the fifth of November!

I have come here tonight to keep a

promise. A promise that is over

four hundred years old. Tonight I

am here to give you your freedom!

Since mankind's dawn a handful of

oppressors have accepted the

responsibility over our lives,

responsibility that we should have

accepted ourselves. By doing so,

they took our power. By doing

nothing, we gave it away.

Tonight, our world will change.

Our leaders will be gone and we

must choose what comes next. A

return to the chains of others or

lives of our own. A world of the

past or one of the future.

Let us choose carefully, London,

and when we do, let us mark well

and remember, remember this fifth

of November!

Map – Rail Europe
Settings – Doubles/Nuclear/Chained/Foggy/30 rounds
Winning Objective – Liberation
Points – 10 Points to winning team

Special Gameplay – Eliminate those that oppose you, or hold all 3 spots of LON (A, B, C) and A line at round limit to win

“Remember, remember,
the fifth of November,
should ever be forgot.”

Ave Atque vale...
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:34 pm

Rogue One

Rogue One is the first Star Wars film not to feature a Jedi as the primary character. Darth Vader (an ex-Jedi) does appear in the movie

Rogue One is the first Star Wars movie in which no one mentions the name “Skywalker.”

Gareth Edwards said that he came up with the planet name Scarif after ordering a coffee in Starbucks, which is known for writing down the names of their customers on the cups. The barista misspelled Gareth’s name as “Scareth” which he used as inspiration for the planet.

At on point, Captain Cassian Andor says the phrase, “Punch it,” to his co-pilot K2-SO. In the original saga, Han Solo says, “Okay, punch it Chewie.

Wobani, the planet where Jyn Erso is imprisoned at the beginning of the movie, is an anagram for Obi-Wan, as in Obi-Wan Kenobi.

V for Vendetta

SO. MANY. 'V'S. Part of the fun of any movie is the little hidden winks and symbols that the filmmakers leave audiences. And for V for Vendetta, the entire point of the movie seems to have been to see how many ‘V’s the director could scatter into every single scene. Apart from the titular character, ‘V’s appear on the scar on Evey’s forehead, in the bloodstain V leaves on the wall of the train station, in the fireworks from the destruction of government buildings, in different flower arrangements. V is also the roman numeral for five so the number makes frequent appearances as well, such as on all of V’s records in his jukebox and when he hums Beethoven’s 5th Symphony. Notably, every single analog clock in the film is set to 11:05, regardless of the time, to form a V with a hour and minute hand.

V WAS PLAYED BY FOUR DIFFERENT ACTORS. Most credit Hugo Weaving for bringing the masked vigilante V to life with his magnetic voice work and an only slightly exaggerated physical performance. But while Weaving ended up being the only voice of V, the character itself was originally played by James Purefoy. Purefoy lasted only six weeks into shooting before quitting, saying that he couldn’t continue to wear the mask through the rest of shooting. Weaving was brought into the project, but Purefoy’s scenes were kept and dubbed over to save time and money. Along with Weaving and Purefoy, two stunt doubles were involved with V’s performance. Chad Stahelski played him in the Larkhill scene where the double actually had to walk through real fire and David Leitch, a fight coordinator, played him during the Victoria Station fight, where instead of shooting in slow motion, he moved at normal speed and everyone else moved slowly to save money.

THE ORIGINAL GUY FAWKES WASN'T A MASTERMIND, JUST A LACKEY. The film, comic book, and those who use the Guy Fawkes mask as a symbol for anarchy all portray the 16th century English soldier as a patron for rebellion, transparency, and equality. But that’s far from the truth. In reality, Guy Fawkes was an English Catholic during the reign of the radically Protestant Queen Elizabeth I. With Catholicism banned in England, Fawkes traveled to Spain where he fought with them against the Protestant Dutch during the Eighty Years War. It was only after returning to England that he joined the underground Catholic coalition which would eventually undertake the infamous Gunpowder Plot. But Fawkes wasn’t the mastermind behind the plan, in fact it had already been designed long before he was added to the group. His sole role was to guard the gunpowder underneath Parliament until it was time to strike, and he couldn’t even do that right.

THE DOMINO SCENE WAS THE HARDEST ONE TO SHOOT. V for Vendetta is filled with busy, difficult to shoot scenes. The fast paced and action-packed center of the film meant thousands of cuts, fades, and transitions had to be edited together, some all at the same time. So you might think that the most difficult scene to shoot was a fight scene or an explosion or a one-shot take. But nope, according to the crew the hardest scene to shoot was the domino scene, where shots of V’s plans coming together are pieced over the visual of him setting up hundreds of colored dominos to fall in the formation of his symbol. The scene used 22,000 dominoes and professional domino assemblers (a real thing apparently) were hired to set it up. It took them over 200 hours to set the scene, which had to be shot several times to get different angles of the dominos falling.
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:40 pm

Scoreboard is updated to current. Last movie rounds all completed. Five movies left.

Current Standings:

i-andrei 95
Devante 85
barterer2002 70
Scarlet Lady 70
Jim1086 65
Nut Shot Scott 60
b00060 60
actorday 55
Craig25 47.5
Kotaro 47.5
BabySasuke 47.5
pk62 45
Darin44 42.5
i_am_the_North 30
Silvertop 25
JJBrando 15

Top four face off for the Movie Night Finale Extravaganza
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:07 pm

Field of Dreams…

“lf you build it, he will come.”

My father’s name was John Kinsella. lt's an lrish name. He was born in North Dakota in 1896 and never saw a big city until he came back from France in 1918. Settling in Chicago, he learned to live and die with the White Sox.

Died a little when they lost the 1919 World Series, died a lot when eight White Sox were accused of throwing that Series.

He played some in the minors, but nothing came of it. Moved to Brooklyn in 35’, married Mom in 38’, was already an old man at the naval yards when l was born in 1952.

My name's Ray Kinsella.

Mom died when l was three, and l suppose Dad did the best he could. lnstead of Mother Goose, l was put to bed to stories of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and the great Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Dad was a Yankees fan then, so l rooted for Brooklyn. ln '58, the Dodgers moved away, so we had to find other reasons to fight.

We did.

When l chose a college, l picked the farthest from home l could find. This drove him up the wall, which, l suppose, was the point. Officially, my major was English, but really, it was the '60s. l marched, l smoked some grass, l tried to like sitar music, and l met Annie. The only thing we had in common was that she came from lowa, and l’d once heard of lowa. After graduation, we moved to the Midwest and stayed with her family as long as we could, almost a full afternoon.

Annie and l got married in June of 74’.

Dad died that fall.

A few years later, Karin was born. She smelled weird, but we loved her anyway. Then Annie got the crazy idea she could talk me into buying a farm.

l'm 36 years old, l love my family, l love baseball, and I’m about to become a farmer.

But until l heard the voice, I’d never done a crazy thing in my whole life…

I built it. Crazy at first, I thought, but I wasn’t alone. So, I built it. And it was true, they did come. But most importantly, he came.

You built that field, and their all there. Joe, Buck, Gandil, Eddie, Lefty, Swede, Happy, Fred, Moonlight, Smokey, Mel, Hodges, so many came, but most importantly, John came. He came. One last game. Last chance to step up to the plate. Maybe go out swinging or hit that home run. Don’t matter. One last game with John…one last game with Dad...

“Ease the pain…”

Map – Field of Dreams
Settings – Quads/Escalating/Chained/Foggy/30 rounds
Winning Objective – Win the game by holding all the bases
Points – 5 Points to each player of winning team who achieves map objective

Special Gameplay – Win by achieving map objection. Win by eliminating the other players completely and not by holding all the bases, no points.
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:15 pm

The Italian Job…

On days like these, when skies are blue
And fields are green, I look around
and think about what might have been

And then I hear sweet music
float around my head
As I recall the many things we left unsaid

It's on days like these that I remember
Singing songs and drinking wine
While your eyes played games with mine

On days like these
I wonder what became of you

Maybe today you're singing songs
with someone new

On days like these...

You are Charlie Croker. The one and only. You’re finally out of Prison. And a big job is all you can think of. Time to pay widow Mrs. Beckermann a visit. I mean her belated Roger never did disappoint when it came to jobs, even if it may have killed him in the end. Meeting with Mrs. Beckermann went well, she was most, agreeable. A lot of money at stake. A great plan old Roger had. It’s a work of genius really. Think of it. A city in chaos, a smash-and-grab raid, and four million dollars through a traffic jam. Need some financing though. Now time to move out and pay a little visit to Mr. Bridger, after all, takes money to steal money.

Map – The British Isles
Settings – 1vs1/Flat/Chained/Foggy/20 rounds
Winning Objective – Get the plans, get the money
Points – 5 Points to winning player

Special Gameplay – Escalating Bonus. 5 points to winning player of each map. Win two of three, bonus 5 points. Win all three maps, bonus 10 points.

You got the plans you need. Plan takes place in the city of Turin, the industrial capital of Italy. The most modern in Europe, famed for its architecture, and soon, for the greatest robbery of the century. The FIAT armoured convoy is the mark. To reach its destination the convoy has to travel through one of the busiest traffic systems in Europe, a system controlled by television cameras and by a computer in the Turin Traffic Control Centre. The plan is simple. First, neutralize the TV cameras which overlook the convoy's route. Second, you break into the computer building and substitute with a new program to cause the traffic jam. Third, attack the convoy after my own fashion of course. And finally, escape through the only route in the city not blocked by the traffic jam. Within three hours, over the Alps and into Switzerland off to a Geneva Bank. Simple. Genius. Bridger agrees to finance. Off to Turin, but first, to get there. Unfortunately, there is also the matter of Altabani to deal with…

Map – France
Winning Objective – get to Italy, beat Altabani

Special Gameplay – Escalating Bonus. 5 points to winning player of each map. Win two of three, bonus 5 points. Win all three maps, bonus 10 points.

Finally, Turin. You and your crew are ready. The stage is set. The gold is loaded onto an armoured truck and drives through the city, escorted by an armoured car, two police motorcycles, and police car. The jam is done on the closed circuit television cameras that monitor traffic. The substitute reel causes widespread traffic chaos. We converge on the convoy, overpower the guards, and tow the armoured car into the entrance hall of the Museo Egizio. We transfer the gold into three Mini Coopers. The police smash down the doors, but we take off in two teams, rushing through Turin while being pursued by the police. Almost there. Time to escape.

Map – Italy
Winning Objective – Finish the job

The Minis escape by the planned route and drive into the back of a moving coach. We unload the gold into the coach and dispose of the Minis. And now make for the Alps. Damn twisty mountain roads. Big loses control of the coach. We teeter over a cliff. The gold starts sliding towards the rear doors. I reach for it, but that just makes it slip further.

"Hang on a minute lads, I've got a great idea."
Major Devante

Postby Darin44 on Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:41 pm

This tournament needs more game please.
need status please.
Lieutenant Darin44
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Devante on Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:42 am

I fell behind on this. 3 more movies to go for the final countdown then we find out who the final four are and then off to the finale, the red carpet, the final showdown, the premiere event. Will update scoreboard and try to get the next one out here this weekend. Thanks coach
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:22 pm

Scoreboard updated.

Standings:

i-andrei 115
Scarlet Lady 100
Devante 95
Jim1086 95
Nut Shot Scott 80
barterer2002 75
b00060 75
actorday 75
pk62 65
Kotaro 62.5
Darin44 62.5
Craig25 52.5
BabySasuke 47.5
i_am_the_North 35
Silvertop 25
JJBrando 15
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:03 pm

Saving Private Ryan…

“Earn this”

THE FOLLOWING IS BASED ON A TRUE STORY

OMAHA BEACH, NORMANDY
June 6, 1944
0600 HOURS

The THUNDEROUS SOUNDS OF A MASSIVE NAVAL BARRAGE are heard. The power is astonishing. It roars through the body, blows back the hair and rattles the ears.
The ROAR OF NAVAL GUNS continues but now WE SEE THEM FIRING. Huge fifteen-inch guns. SWARM OF LANDING CRAFT heads directly into a nightmare.
MASSIVE EXPLOSIONS from German artillery shells and mined obstacles tear apart the beach. Hundreds of German machine guns, loaded with tracers, pour out a red snowstorm of bullets.

HUNDREDS OF LANDING CRAFT Each holding thirty men, near the beaches. At the far end of the beach, a ninety-foot cliff. Topped by bunkers. Ringed by fortified machine gun nests. A clear line-of-fire down the entire beach. TEN LANDING CRAFT make their way toward the base of the cliffs. Running a gauntlet of explosions.

THE LEAD LANDING CRAFT Plows through the waves. THE FACES OF THE MEN, Boys. Most are eighteen or nineteen years old. Tough. Well-trained. Trying to block out the fury around them.

A DIRECT HIT ON A NEARBY LANDING CRAFT A huge EXPLOSION of fuel, fire, metal and flesh. THE LEAD LANDING CRAFT The Motorman holds his course. Shells EXPLODE around them. FLAMING OIL BURNS on the water. CANNON FIRE SMASHES into the bow. THE MOTORAMAN IS RIPPED TO BITS BLOOD AND FLESH shower the men behind him. The mate takes the controls.

His face covered with the remains of the motorman. Starts to lose it. Begins to shudder and weep. His name is DeLancey. THE BOYS AROUND HIM Do their best to stare straight ahead. But the fear infects them. It starts to spread.

A FIGURE Pushes through the men. Puts himself in front of DeLancey. The figure is CAPTAIN JOHN MILLER. Early thirties. By far the oldest man on the craft. Relaxed, battle-hardened, powerful, ignoring the hell around them. He smiles, puts a cigar in his mouth, strikes a match on the front of DeLancey's helmet and lights the cigar. DeLancey tries to look away but Miller grips him by the jaw and forces him to lock eyes. Miller smiles. DeLancey is terrified.

“Captain, are we all gonna die?”

“Hell no, two-thirds, tops.”

“Oh, Jesus...”

“I want every one of you to look at the man on your left. Now look at the man on your right. Feel sorry for those sons-of-bitches, they're going to get it, you're not going to get a scratch.”

A few, including DeLancey, manage thin smiles. Miller releases his grip on DeLancey who moves his jaw as if to see if it's broken. Miller pats him on the cheek and moves on….

This is war. Brutal. Unforgiving. Relentless.

You are Captain John Miller. And these men, these boys, depend on you. Doesn’t matter how you feel or what you need, they need you, your feelings can wait. These boys, no not boys, men. Being here warrants that doesn’t it. These men need you. You’re commander of Company C, 2nd Ranger Battalion. And your task is Ryan. Get him back. James Francis Ryan of the 101st Airborne Division. That is your task.

“…i've tried to live my life the best l could. l hope that was enough. l hope that, at least in your eyes, l've earned what all of you have done for me.”

Map – D Day: Omaha
Settings – Quads/No Spoils/Adjacent/Foggy/Trench/30 rounds
Winning Objective – Get off the Beach, get to Ryan
Points – 5 points to each player of winning team

***This is the last team movie, after this one, you’re all on your own
Major Devante

Postby Darin44 on Fri May 20, 2022 7:29 pm

All game are completed, need status please.
Lieutenant Darin44
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Devante on Sat May 21, 2022 11:03 am

IRL a bit busy right now but will get next two rounds out over weekend
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Tue May 24, 2022 1:10 am

Braveheart

I will tell you of William Wallace…

Historians from England will say I am a liar. But history is written by those who have hung heroes.

I will tell you of William Wallace...

A man yes, but just a man, I think not. Not by today’s standards. No, not just a man. For today’s man, the one we idolized, holds on to glory, or what little he has, and this was not William. No he was of an older time, a simpler time. But what came of William was not just. William, he cries for love, he cried for country, he cried for Scotland. But above all else he cried for love. No, he was not just a man ...

I will tell you of William Wallace...

Historians might disagree and call me a liar. But I will tell you of William Wallace...

He had a brave heart, the bravest by today’s standards. Make no mistake, this is a story about love, the violence is just filling in the gaps. I will tell you of the man. Aye, I will.

But it is not a story for the faint of heart. But I shall tell it non the less. I will tell you of William...Of the boy, and the man…I shall speak of William.

William Wallace, just a man, but one with heart ...a brave one…I shall tell you of William Wallace...

…You look over cobalt mountains beneath a glowering purple sky, fringed with pink, as if the clouds were a lid too small for the earth; a cascading landscape of boulders shrouded in deep green grass; and the blue lochs, reflecting the sky. We hear a voice, husky, Scottish...

...I shall tell you of the man and the legend, I shall tell you of William Wallace...
Last edited by Devante on Tue May 24, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Tue May 24, 2022 5:25 pm

...I will tell you of William Wallace…but first I must tell you of what came before and what came after, who William was at his core, of what he suffered, of what drove him.

Scotland, in the year of our lord 1280

The King of Scotland had died without a son, and the king of England, a cruel pagan known as Edward the Longshanks, claimed the throne for himself. Scotland’s nobles fought him, and fought each other, over the crown. So, Longshanks invited them to talks of truce. No weapons, one page only.

They met to discuss the truce, at a farmhouse with a large barn nestled in a Scottish valley. It is in this barn that we first meet William Wallace, William son of Malcolm Wallace, William brother of John Wallace. William the eight-year-old boy who just came face to face with the cruelty of man as he stares at what is hanging in front of him. Hanging from the rafters of the barn are thirty Scottish noblemen and thirty pages, their faces purple and contorted by the strangulation hanging, their tongues protruding. He thinks their scarecrows at first but then realization sets in. These are known men, friends, farmers, and young boys. His father and brother take him away and march off to stand for what is right. His father and brother are taken from him also. Everything taken away in what feels like a single heartbeat. Taken away by the English and Longshanks greed. How long can a man go on before taking a stand. How long before the boy becomes the legend.

Twelve years later… Longshanks is wedding away his son and seeing to his succession, and it is shortly after this time that he makes a mistake, one of which he cannot foretell will have dire consequences. He reinstitutes an old custom for the Scottish Lords. Jus primae noctis, "First night." When any common girl inhabiting their lands is married, the lords shall have sexual rights to her on the night of her wedding. This will not sit well with the Scottish people, and not with one man in particular. This will give rise to the events that force that man to take action. Not from pride or from thoughts of grandeur. But from grief and love loss, love and life stolen. A man who will lose his wife, and who will fight back for what is right, who will fight back for his country, who will fight for his freedom. This is the man; this is William Wallace…

Map – Celtic Nations
Settings – Standard/4 players/Flat/Chained/Foggy/30 rounds
Winning Objective – Avenge your wife, the rebellion begins
Points – 10 points to winner

Battle after battle is won, although at a heavy cost. Garrisons fall, battle fields taken, the English suffer. And now it is time to sack York. The legend that is William Wallace grows, it cannot be stopped. The seed is planted, it will only grow. And who knows, maybe one day rule this might country once free.

Map – Kings Court
Settings – Standard/4 players/No Spoils/Chained/Foggy/Trench/30 rounds
Winning Objective – Sack the City, set the path
Points – 15 points to winner

The path to Freedom is won, but at quite a cost. The fight is over for our dear William, the time has come for him to rest. Longshanks is ill and dying, hearing Williams bellow on his last breath and knowing William’s seed will once rule England. A just end. And defiant to the end, instead of mercy, William chooses “Freedom!!!”
In 1314, Robert the Bruce, now Scotland's king, leads a Scottish army before a ceremonial line of English troops on the fields of Bannockburn, where he is supposed to formally accept English rule. Instead, he invokes Wallace's memory, imploring his men to fight with him as they did with Wallace. Wallace's sword is thrown point-down in front of the English army, and the Scots chant Wallace's name as Robert leads them into battle against the English, finally winning the Scots their freedom.

…Now you know of William Wallace, the man, the husband, the legend…

“FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Major Devante

Postby Devante on Tue May 24, 2022 5:40 pm

Scoreboard updated. Current Standings:

i-andrei 115
Scarlet Lady 105
Devante 100
Jim1086 100
Nut Shot Scott 85
b00060 80
barterer2002 75