Conquer Club

How to get easy tournament medals

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: How to get easy tournament medals

Postby Qwert on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:06 pm

"There wasn't a problem until qwert decided to make it a problem. If he wasn't trying to make these types of tournaments, no one would be doing it. He's the one creating a problem that no one else had tried to exploit before."
I make problem?
No one would be doing?
no one else had tried to exploit before?
Man you are TD,and you dont know what kind of tournament are ongoing-these all ready hepend,and im not start these-im only point these to you.
DJ Teflon Know for these tournaments, and you dont?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby jrh_cardinal on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:48 pm

qwert, first of all there are a ton of tournaments run, NS can't pay personal attention to every single one. Also, I think everyone in this thread besides you says this hasn't happened before, no one has tried to exploit the rules to this extreme. If it's happened before since the rule change, show us.

The 3 game minimum is for team tournaments. In an 8 team single elimination bracket, the winner only needs to play 3 games.
For minimum players- Think about it, if the minimum number of teams were 16, that's 64 players minimum for a quads tourney, certainly not easy to fill especially for a newer organizer running a slightly abnormal format.
For minimum games- If you don't like the 3 games in the 8 team single elimination bracket, that's a legitimate thing to complain about. It would be appreciated if you complained in this thread, civilly, rather than trying to cause problems by running the smallest legal tournaments you can think of. I know NS would be happy to raise the minimum games played to 4 (16 player 1v1 bracket), and I don't think many players would have a problem with that either, 8 team brackets are very uncommon, and those that are run could just have a best of 3 championship.

Anything beyond complaining about an 8 player bracket is just causing problems. Again, the ONLY thing you can accomplish is forcing NS to raise the minimums and take away a very popular type of tournament, one which you seem to have no problem with. If you have a solution that: 1) takes away the loophole tournaments like the one you just started, 2) keeps 16 player 1v1 brackets, and 3) (most importantly) doesn't add a significant workload to the TD's, then please share.
Otherwise, just live with the fact that there are loopholes, ignore them, and hope that others continue to ignore them as well, so that everyone can enjoy the fun, popular, legal tournaments that would be taken away if the loophole was closed.
Sergeant 1st Class jrh_cardinal

Postby HighlanderAttack on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:29 pm

I think too much is made about the virtual medals actually meaning a lot. Yes they have meaning, but many players and organizers do this for fun and competition. I would say most do it for the fun and competition and not the medal.

If anyone knows about competition tourneys in foosball, pool, and darts. They have your nightly, city, state, national, and world tournaments.

The smaller nightly tourneys would be like the 16 player and the world would be like your 256 player tourneys.

Nothing should be taken away from winning a small tourney. You still have a 1 in 16 chance of winning the tourney which makes it about a 6% chance of winning. That being said would winning a world title be more important than a local nightly tourney--Heck yes it would be. Each tourney someone wins will have meaning to it. The competition and fun will be there. The larger tourneys will just mean more in the long run.

It is about having fun and enjoying the CC experience (praying for good dice). This is my thoughts on the subject. No one will ever agree 100% on any subject. God and Night Strike would agree that I can complain and give my views as much as anyone else :).

Have fun--run what you want to and play in what you want to and just enjoy it :).
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:59 pm

I took the advice that HA gave me and made my first tournament a simple 16-player bracket tournament. However, my next tournament is going to be a lot more sophisticated. To me it's just a matter of pride, in anything I do, to always be improving and setting the bar higher each time.

I think for someone to do ONLY simple 16-player brackets betrays a lack of ambition. But that's just my opinion. Although I wasn't around for the debates last year, I understand the difficulty in trying to enforce a standard on people who really don't want it. I would like to see people set higher standards for themselves, but trying to impose them would be a nightmare. It's impossible to guarantee good work even when you have paid employees, and trying to demand good work from people who are strictly volunteer and doing it mainly for fun is absolutely ridiculous.

If anything would help, I don't think it would be more rules, but perhaps a rating system for TOs might do the job. Just as you get a menu allowing you to rate players after a game, maybe something could be set up where after a tournament you get a chance to rate TOs in categories like: clearly understandable rules, interesting theme, fair dispute resolution, speed of updates, and so on. That might go a long way towards raising the bar for many people.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Previous

Return to Tournament Archives