Conquer Club

Remove points restriction on tourneys

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Remove points restriction on tourneys

Postby xroads on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:23 pm

I was going to host a few high ranking tourneys, but reading the handbook the max restriction is 2000 points.

Why have a restriction?

I would like a doubles tournament with a minimum of 5000 points to enter. Or an elite triples that takes 9000 points to enter

Or a singles tournament that has a minimum score of 2500, or another with a minimum of 3000
Lieutenant xroads

Re: Remove points restriction on tourneys

Postby IcePack on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:36 pm

xroads wrote:I was going to host a few high ranking tourneys, but reading the handbook the max restriction is 2000 points.

Why have a restriction?

I would like a doubles tournament with a minimum of 5000 points to enter. Or an elite triples that takes 9000 points to enter

Or a singles tournament that has a minimum score of 2500, or another with a minimum of 3000

You might want to have a chat with one of the guys who actually runs this section of the site.
Tournament Directors: memberlist.php?mode=group&g=147640

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby xroads on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:58 pm

Thanks, sent them a PM
Lieutenant xroads

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:14 am

I'm going to move this into the tournament forum first, because it really is a tourney issue and not a sitewide suggestion.

Then I will put together my answer.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:13 am

xroads wrote:I was going to host a few high ranking tourneys, but reading the handbook the max restriction is 2000 points.

Why have a restriction?

I had hoped that McShanester would be back from his leave before now and would have a chance to answer you. Unfortunately, he's still not back and you've been waiting for an answer for a while, so I'll do my best to answer your questions. Please keep in mind that I don't speak for the whole Tournament Department. I'm just one TD among several.

The existing 2000 point restriction was a compromise between people who wanted to have rank-segregated tournaments and people who believed that tournaments must be open to all.

I'm in the latter camp. I believe opportunities to earn medals should be open to all. The elitists already have the clan world where they can match teams rank-for-rank, and there are private games and special threads in the Callouts forums devoted to high ranks. I believe one of the key characteristics of the tournament world is its egalitarianism. Nonetheless, the people writing the tournament handbook did allow for a certain degree of elitism and did allow for point-restricted tournaments as long as the restriction was no higher than 2000.

2000 means Majors and higher, or 14% of the site. That's already pretty restrictive. You want to run some 3000 point tournaments, which means Colonels or higher, or only 4% of the site. That's a big jump, from 14% to 4%.

Now, with all that being said, I guess in fairness it needs to be noted that the autotournaments have already broken the threshold that community tournaments have not been allowed to. There are "super-elite" auto-tournaments that have 3000+. However, auto-tournaments are not created in a vacuum. Normally, when there are auto-tournaments with point restrictions, they come out in groups. For instance, there's a Low Ranks Standard Escalating (<1400), a Mid Ranks Standard Escalating (1400<x<2000), a High Ranks Standard Escalating (2000<) and a Super-Elite Standard Escalating (3000<).

I could see the value of allowing community tournaments to follow the same pattern. If you were to produce tournaments in batches, identical except for the point restriction, so that members of all ranks have a chance to earn a medal, I could see that as being fair. Are you interested in doing 3 or 4 tournaments at a time with some kind of continuum like the one used with the autotournaments? That would allow you to have 3000+ tournaments, and still satisfy the basic need to have opportunities for all. I could see myself arguing for you to be allowed to do that.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby xroads on Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:49 am

I would be willing to do groups if allowed.

On the flip side, I think there should be more low ranking limited tournaments too. 1200 or less. 100 games or less. The auto tourneys have opened up many ideas.

Thanks for the response
Lieutenant xroads

Postby IcePack on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:43 am

I agree a grouped thing would be interesting. If you run one for 3000+ there should be other available for the lower ranked of same set up

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Return to Tournament Archives