Conquer Club

Map of Middle-Earth [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Map of Middle-Earth [Quenched]

Postby MrConfigT on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:01 pm

I'd like to start work on this map if noone else has. I have a great base map already started, Just need to create borders etc..

I know its been discussed but has anyone else started on this? Maybe we could work together?
Corporal 1st Class MrConfigT

Postby thegrimsleeper on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:09 pm

Someone actually scanned in the LOTR Risk map... there's a thread about it here :arrow:http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83

I think we can all agree that nobody wants to see the map in the above thread make it in; ConquerClub is something new and fresh. We don't need to rip off other people's ideas here!

But if you had a nice scan of the map included with the trilogy, that would be SICK.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby Jota on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:15 pm

Assuming you mean "sick" in a good way, then I thoroughly agree. I imagine that the hand-drawn original version of the map is probably quite a bit larger than the ones in most editions of the books. I wonder if a full-sized version of it has been published at any point.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby MrConfigT on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:19 pm

The version I have is someone's traced drawing of the map. I think its pretty good and its really high res so I can do any resizing I need to do w/ it.

I'll get an upload here in a little bit. The orginal is just black and white w/ no shading. I'm debating whether or not I should go into colors or just shade the map like the one from the trilogy box set....

Postby MrConfigT on Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:49 pm

Since there's a poll of this already....

I'll post some screen shots of what i've been working on. Its going to take me a while to complete, but I've got some help and free time coming.

Postby Hoff on Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:04 pm

nice, i think a middle-earth map would be amazing
Sergeant Hoff

Postby MrConfigT on Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:39 pm

Very Rough Draft of Middle Earth

You'll have to right click and save as for this image to work. Its high res, so bear with the file size.

I havn't done much other than carve out what I thought would make good borders for continents. The colors are open, I just put some on there to show the borders more clearly.

Next I'm going to work on getting the countries borders drawn, then finally color shading and adding texture to the map. And coming up with names for everything.

I really need help w/ the countries and their borders. Anyone want to g ive some input? Once finals are finished in two weeks, I'll have a lot more time to work on the map.

[/url]

a bit smaller

Postby ticalien on Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:48 pm

I shrunk it down a bit so you can actually open the file. MrConfigT and I will be putting this together so no worries there.

http://thehorns.servepics.com/Images/layout/middleearth1.jpg
Sergeant ticalien

Postby DublinDoogey on Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:59 pm

A middle earth map would be pretty cool, I know we want something different from the real lotr boardgame risk, but you could look at that for inspiration for borders.

I think, as far as colors go, it might be a good idea to to something similar to the latest Ireland map, where it looks like a real map. I'm not sure how the community, and the person who did the Ireland map would feel about that, but imho, that'd look good for this map

anyway, keep up the work, can't wait to play it
Private DublinDoogey

Postby MrConfigT on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:31 pm

Right now the colors are the easiest thing to change.

Anyone have a high res picture of the risk version?

Postby qeee1 on Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:34 pm

It's really hard to make anything out of your map. Only comment I've to make is copyright... get it sorted, the person behind the discworld map did so it should be possible.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby coolestguy98 on Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:55 pm

Yea, i say lets get this map going, and going good. Cause this would be incredably fun to play, and now i'm getting excited about it. Do whatever is needed to bust this bad boy out. I think that there is a long way to go with this as of now, i'm not gonna lie, but i think its something that should get worked through.
Lieutenant coolestguy98

Postby MrConfigT on Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:03 pm

Don't get me wrong. THat is just a

ROUGH idea of what is to come. If i can get the copy right stuff out of the way then I'll start mainstream production on the map.

I've put in maybe an hour into the map, while playing CC of course. ITs still got 5-10hrs left on it if i'm guessing correctly. Just on the graphics part of it. Not to mention the copyright info.

If I don't get a response, or a response we do not like on the copyright information, I'll hand draw map of my own creation based on the poster I have in my room. Then start over from there.

Postby freakshow on Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:51 pm

You have to watch out on what the copyright covers. (repeatin myself here) I'm pretty sure that a copy right covering all videogames based on the books was sold to EA and I doubt that they'll give you the rights to do anything. I think some of the names are copyrighted to so just makeing up a name for it other than middle earth might not cut it in that sense. I'm not a copyright lawyer or anything but I have this feeling that if anything based on JRR tolkin's work goes up on conquer club lawyers might start to take intrest.
Private freakshow

Postby MrConfigT on Fri May 05, 2006 1:48 pm

Here's where its at right now, near finalization. We're debating on a few things, such as adding land marks, such as rivendale, isengard, ...etc

Suggestions?

Postby thegrimsleeper on Fri May 05, 2006 2:03 pm

You only have 40 countries, but 7 continents... :?
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby MrConfigT on Fri May 05, 2006 2:11 pm

The difficulty of holding those continents is high though....

Postby MrConfigT on Fri May 05, 2006 6:53 pm

Bump..

^^ Care to explain why 40 armies to 7 continents is bad? I don't follow exactly.

ANy other input?

Postby Fieryo on Fri May 05, 2006 7:10 pm

I like it so far. A few things: I cant tell the difference between Gondor and Ruhn, the colors are too similar. And the more northern of the two (which i assume is Ruhn cuz the other one has South Gondor in it :wink: ) is too bright and i cant see the countries borders very well.
...where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it -- "history"
Major Fieryo

Postby DublinDoogey on Fri May 05, 2006 8:53 pm

I like it, I would suggest changing the color dividing continents though. The blue looks like rivers, which makes it confusing at first.

Otherwise, nice job :)
Private DublinDoogey

Postby ticalien on Fri May 05, 2006 9:07 pm

They are rivers.

:lol:
Sergeant ticalien

Postby DublinDoogey on Fri May 05, 2006 9:14 pm

They are rivers.

then it appears that there is no way to attack across them, is it safe to assume that bridges will be added?
Private DublinDoogey

updates

Postby ticalien on Fri May 05, 2006 9:34 pm

Changed country colors and boundries in Gondor and Ruhn.

Changed the rivers around a bit so they're not so intimidating. All rivers in this map are passable, mountians are the only barriers.

Removed path from Andrast to Far Harad.

Sergeant ticalien

Postby Evil Pope on Fri May 05, 2006 10:50 pm

In my oppinion, the rivers should be impassible, and you should use bridges..
Also, I don't think it matters, but, wouldn't Andrast be part of Gondor?

If you wanted to add some more countries, you could easily split a few places.. The wold could be split into the wold and East Emnet(or Sarn Gebir)(and Rohan could be renamed West Emnet or Westfold(just a suggestion on my part, but it doesn't really matter)).
Also, Angmar could be split into angmar and the north downs..
And South Gondor could be split into South Gondor and South Ithilien..
Sergeant Evil Pope

Postby ticalien on Fri May 05, 2006 11:27 pm

I took your suggestion on Westfold. I actually considered all of your recommended splits when i was dividing up the countries. Should the need arise I think those would be good and accurate recomendations.
Sergeant ticalien

Next

Return to The Atlas