Conquer Club

Tamriel map of the Elder scrolls [Done]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Tamriel map of the Elder scrolls [Done]

Postby Banana Stomper on Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:01 pm

Hey there, i just had the idea to do the map of Tamriel from the Elderscrolls. I think it makes for a pretty dynamic map, it'd be a fun play. Just some little notes about it, the thick ugly gray lines will be mountains, and are up for being changed, but where they are now are sorta true for Tamriel. Also, the island continent in the south west is in fact a different continent from the yellower one, the colors ended up looking similar after i started fiddling. One other nice thing, 48 countries, so there won't be any neutral territories save a 5 person game... This is a pretty rough draft. Let me know what you guys think.
Corporal 1st Class Banana Stomper

Postby johnnyrotten on Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:03 pm

Looks pretty good to me... Marv'll be gay like normal and say it's shite lol... only joking Marv :wink: :P
Sergeant johnnyrotten

Postby thegrimsleeper on Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:16 pm

I've never heard a joke that had as much truth in it as that one... :lol: I'm just kidding too Marv. ;)

Not a bad first draft at all, actually. I'd recommend taking the height of the 3D countries down lower a bit, so it doesn't look so much like bubble wrap. Obviously the mountains will be changed, and there are certainly quite a few mappers on here that can help you with that if you need.

It actually looks like a very fun map. Those names are a little ridiculous, but hey, it is fantasy, right? Anyway, nobody should have any problem remembering where ac ountry is with such a memorable name as Fang's Lair.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby Hoff on Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:23 pm

looks like a good start. Try adding some texture to the countries and the sea maybe. And werent there mounts all over tamriel? Maybe you coudl use some mountains as natural borders. And the names of the countries are really hard to see. Different bolder font and all the same color might be better. but its a nice start. Morrowind is the most addicting game ever....
Sergeant Hoff

Postby coolestguy98 on Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:40 pm

yea, definitly looks like a good start on a very rough draft, i know you Stomper, and i'm sure this will be quality...
Lieutenant coolestguy98

Postby Hoff on Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:10 pm

you also need to find room for some sort of legend where it says what the territory bonuses are. And also, i'm not a huge fan of the different shades within the same territotory. I like a territory to be all the same shade of whatever color. By territory I mean the ones that you get the bonuses for.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby Shadow Dragon on Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:15 pm

Yeah that looks really good. Here is an actual map just in case you might need it or something that shows all of Tamriel and the differant regions and such.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2076 ... 1rj5zb.gif
Last edited by Shadow Dragon on Tue May 02, 2006 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class Shadow Dragon

Postby kingwaffles on Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:17 pm

It would be better to keep consistent colours within a continent as well as making some of the colour differences clearer just to make it a little easier on the eyes.
Corporal 1st Class kingwaffles

Postby Jota on Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:35 pm

I agree with kingwaffles. You don't need to make a continent all exactly the same, but it'd help if the different shades were closer to each other (especially at the lighter end of the spectrum, where they all appear to be approaching "gray" from different directions).

Also, it might actually be beneficial for a couple of these continents if you increased the number of borders they had. I'm thinking in particular of the islands in the southwest, the green continent in the southeast, or the purple continent in the northeast.

Looks decent. I'd like to see how this one progresses.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby Banana Stomper on Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:57 pm

Also, it might actually be beneficial for a couple of these continents if you increased the number of borders they had. I'm thinking in particular of the islands in the southwest, the green continent in the southeast, or the purple continent in the northeast.

I'm open to adding more paths into continents, but it was sort of one thing i was trying to avoid with such a compact map. A lot of the new maps are very cramped. I was trying to revert back to something more along the lines of the original world map, in which austrailia has one entrance, south america has two, north america three, for example. I feel like the limitations may lead to more interesting, dynamic gameplay. I'd be interested to hear what more people have to say about the issue.

Postby Shadow Dragon on Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:55 pm

I almost forgot my suggestion. It looks like a good start and all but if it is possible you should try to add in some of the other large regions like Valenwood, Elsweyr, and High Rock as right now they seem to just have been absorbed by the other countries/regions.
Private 1st Class Shadow Dragon

Postby Marvaddin on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:47 pm

Take it easy, guys, Im not so harsh. :D
And my suggestions are here to help, not to flame :lol:

About the map, its really a good start. A continent-by-continent analysis should be made for detect some problems, like the yellow continent very difficult to hold and the purple very easy to hold...

About the visualization, some good suggestions already. Change the colour of the names of the yellow countries, too... difficult to read.

This map has potential and can be a good one... keep working.
Major Marvaddin

Postby Banana Stomper on Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:51 am

This is another draft of the Tamriel Map. I tried making the central region a little more true to the real map of the region. I also added some texture and whatnot. Those goofy little things crossing some rivers are supposed to be bridges, they need some work, but thats the idea. Some other big changes. I felt like the red region was kinda large, so i cut out some, which also conveniently left room for a legend. The number of countries has changed, so any suggestions on where to add or delete countries to make a nice number would be grand. Suggestions for adding to playability would be nice. And comment on whether you like the original region setup as opposed to the new one. Thanks!

Postby Hoff on Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:58 am

i think the textures are looking good and the map is coming along nicely. The bridges and the dotted lines need work. we need to see territory names and bonus values adn stuff like that. Its looking good tho.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby Mr. K on Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:26 pm

Looks like its coming along pretty nicely. Keep up the good work.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby Banana Stomper on Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:38 pm

I'm thinking she's looking about done. To note some changes.

-the mountains in Skyrim were altered to give skyrim some internal regions.

-country added to red to give 48 countries (i think)

-new bridges!

-Bonus values.

What do you think

Postby Hoff on Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:44 pm

I like the way it looks. I'm not very good at evaluting bonuses so i'll leave that up to someone else. One thing that i would suggest would be to fix the fonts of the territory names. They arnt the easiest to read, especially in summerset Isle. Maybe making the text bold, and changing the color to something easier to read. Changing the actuall font type might be good too. but besides that i think it looks good.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby Jota on Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:37 pm

This is looking very good. I do think that Cyrodiil's bonus looks a bit high, though. I'd recommend adding a sea route between Gidean and Murkwood or one between Colovia and Sentinel/Rihad. Possibly even both. I think that would still fit with the Black Marsh's bonus of 3, although it might arguably raise Hammerfell to 5.

Also, what order is the legend in? It might make it a bit easier to use if it was ordered by how the countries were laid out on the map: Hf, S, Mw, C, SI, E, BM.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby Hoff on Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:55 pm

yea and bout the visual look of the legeng....i like the black background. But maybe make it smaller so that its not under that countinent. and add some texture or inner or outer glow to give it some depth. And work on lining up the territory names in the legend
Sergeant Hoff

Postby Hoff on Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:19 pm

in the map that you posted in the embassy thread the grey countries but the red writing was hard for me to read. but it looks fine here.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby haha on Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:30 pm

the map looks good but shount black marsh and symmerset isle be worth the same
Brigadier haha

Postby Banana Stomper on Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:45 pm

Possibly, I guess the only thing that really puts it above summerset isle is that it can be attacked from 3 regions as opposed to summerset isle, which can be attacked from only two. I'm not sure if thats enough of a reason, but thats it, heh.

Postby haha on Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:52 pm

o i only see two
Brigadier haha

Postby haha on Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:53 pm

it can be atacket but u olnly need to defend 2
Brigadier haha

Postby Hoff on Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:56 pm

yea its a tough call. I can see it going either way. It depends how important you think number of attacking borders are. It will be fine either way.
Sergeant Hoff

Next

Return to The Atlas