Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Chess

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby john9blue on Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:04 pm

bryguy wrote:why was this quit....

I'd be willing to start it up again. People approved of the idea, but it never got moved to the Foundry (where it would get better discussion), so nobody suggested anything more and it died.

herndawg wrote:What if all pieces started nuetral and they are +1 bonus when held, or for every two pieces +1, the first to own all of one color and conquer king of other color wins?

All pieces are starting neutral, and the objective is to hold all of one color and the opposing king. The piece bonuses can change if they need to, maybe later on I'll start a poll.

premio53 wrote:I used play chess in tournaments. Would it be possible to have several different starting positions for a starting setup? You could have The English Opening, Ruy Lopez, Queen's Gambit, Sicilian Defense, Dutch etc. There are enough openings to be able to have a different start for just about every game. Just a thought.

That would be cool, but I don't know if that's possible, I'd have to ask an XML expert or a mod or something. I want all the pieces to start off with a large range of mobility (i.e. no rooks stuck in the corner), which is why they're scattered around like this, and not in the starting position. :)
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Mr Unbeatable on Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:09 pm

john9blue wrote:Image

Well, it seems like there's finally some discussion about this map, now that it looks somewhat professional. I took some of your suggestions and redid the graphics, and the latest version of the map is here. Comment and suggest like always. :wink:

I don't think you should get +1 for holding only 1 pawn and i also don't think you should get +1 for each of the same colour held if you hold royalty as this would just mean that royalty would hold the key to the battle, it gets too big a bonus.

If you did this each royalty would have to start with a neutral of 10 or something.

Otherwise great map. :)
Private Mr Unbeatable

Postby john9blue on Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:23 pm

Mr Unbeatable wrote:I don't think you should get +1 for holding only 1 pawn

Possibly, but then there would be no incentive to capture a pawn. Plus, it provides a good starting point for more armies.

Mr Unbeatable wrote:i also don't think you should get +1 for each of the same colour held if you hold royalty as this would just mean that royalty would hold the key to the battle, it gets too big a bonus.

If you did this each royalty would have to start with a neutral of 10 or something.

As far as the royalty bonus, I took that away in the sixth draft, which was posted almost two months ago. You didn't look at the most recent image. :wink:
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
Captain john9blue

good

Postby baggins994 on Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:18 pm

ive been wanting a chess map for a long time and i love it

i do like the idea for different starting positions though b/c the one you have just seems random
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
linkspot.weebly.com
^^ Go Here!!! Plz!!^^
Highest Rank/Score: Sergeant 1430
Private baggins994

Postby Mr_Adams on Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:44 pm

well, it might be pretty hard to program, but could it be made so that you can move the chess pieces for "fortification" stage? (this question is for programmers, not the map designers.)
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:47 pm

Like change the graphics according to your move?

no.

and i think you should have a scene(is that the right word?) from a famous game.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Mr_Adams on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:02 pm

well all pieces must be attackable...
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby lord voldemort on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:27 pm

yer how are you doing attack routes etc?
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby Mr_Adams on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:46 pm

I'm guessing the way chess pieces move (look at the map where the movement of chess pieces is shown...)
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby john9blue on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:11 am

Here's a midgame setup I found. Does this look good?

Have +1 for each pawn, +2 for each rook, bishop, or knight, and +3 for each king or queen. They'd start off with different amounts of neutrals.

The kings are guarded and off to the sides, so they will be hard to get to in order to achieve victory.

lord voldemort wrote:yer how are you doing attack routes etc?

Pieces attack anywhere they could move in real life chess. This includes moving onto pieces of the opposite color. Troops on an empty square can move up, down, left, or right. In this particular case, I think pawns should always move to the space in front of them, because in real life chess, pawns like the ones at b4 and b5 couldn't move. Or maybe we should keep it like that? A sort of Alcatraz-like thing. That might be cool. :)
Captain john9blue

Postby zimmah on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:14 pm

yes, this version is great
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby zimmah on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:25 pm

john9blue wrote:Pieces attack anywhere they could move in real life chess. This includes moving onto pieces of the opposite color. Troops on an empty square can move up, down, left, or right. In this particular case, I think pawns should always move to the space in front of them, because in real life chess, pawns like the ones at b4 and b5 couldn't move. Or maybe we should keep it like that? A sort of Alcatraz-like thing. That might be cool. :)

pawns ATTACK diagonally forward, since there are armies on the 'empty fields' they should be able to attack those armies IMO

maybe an idea to also make the kings and the direct surrounding start neutral
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:50 pm

Well, in real Chess it seems like a pretty even game.

Symmetrical is always bad though- so if we stray from that im sure anything will be fine.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Re: Chess Map -Update Page 4-

Postby Jeff Hardy on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:58 pm

its hard not too love this idea for a map
General Jeff Hardy

Location: Matt Hardy's account, you can play against me there

Re:

Postby Natewolfman on Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:04 pm

ok question, can you attack past a location? such as the Queen on A4, can it attack anything on 4, or can it only hit E4 since thats the first available piece?
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby The Neon Peon on Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:16 pm

Nothing can jump over pieces, unless it is a knight. so, you would have to stop once you hit a piece.

I like this type of map: makes you learn basic skills you should have been enjoying for a long time already.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Re: Re:

Postby john9blue on Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:28 am

People resurrect this thread from time to time. Looks like it really is a good idea.

Natewolfman wrote:ok question, can you attack past a location? such as the Queen on A4, can it attack anything on 4, or can it only hit E4 since thats the first available piece?

Yeah, the movement is exactly like real chess. The queen could attack B4-E4, but not F4-H4. When I say 'attack' I mean a one-way attack; obviously the pawn and empty squares could not attack the queen.

To tell the truth, I was a bit upset when this map didn't receive any attention from the mods; it's almost ready for the Final Forge if you ask me. I'd be happy to continue the project, though. 8-)
Captain john9blue

Postby oaktown on Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:39 am

bumping a 14 month old thread just brings to my attention the fact that it is in the wrong place... moved to the bin. Hopefully somebody will recycle it.
Captain oaktown

Postby john9blue on Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:12 pm

There are some maps in there that hadn't been bumped since last January. This topic has almost 100 posts. I would be happy to continue working on this map. You seem to like the idea. Why did you move it? :|
Captain john9blue

Postby oaktown on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:00 pm

When we created the new subforum for dead projects we went back a few months and moved dead/vacationed maps. This thread represents more than an "idea" in that there's a draft, yet since that draft is more (way more) than two months old it doesn't belong in Drafts.

Let's call it an idea for now, and I'll move it back. John9: if you start working on it again and actually post a new draft, PM me and I'll move it into Drafts where it would then belong. If you decide not to work on it for now, I'll put it back in with the other dead/vacationed projects.

We're trying to tidy up the place - when the year-old maps are necrobumped it moves the new discussions down on the page. Maybe you should change the subject line - the "Update Page 4" will be a year old next week. #-o

Edit: moved to drafts, since it doesn't make any sense in Ideas... no new post as promised and it's being recycled.
Captain oaktown

Re: Chess Map (reborn- seventh draft coming 12/14/08!)

Postby MrBenn on Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:51 pm

[Moved]

There haven;t been any updates... If anybody wants to run with this, then one of the CAs will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)

Mr B
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Chess Map (reborn- seventh draft coming 12/14/08!)

Postby john9blue on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:06 am

...Title says: update coming 12/14/08.

I think you could have waited one more day...

Anyway, here's the first update in over a year:

Changes:
-New pieces that are easier on the eyes
-Different wording of the instructions
-Different bonuses
-Different piece layout
-Army shadows placed

There are 42 starting territories, which is the same amount as Classic. Only 4, 5, and 8 player games will start off with neutral empty squares (2 each, since they all divide into 40). Neutrals won't affect the gameplay much anyway, since it mostly revolves around the actual pieces.

I think the bonuses should be autodeployed. It makes more sense that way. I'll include it in my next draft if there are no objections (I don't always have access to Photoshop).

The new piece layout is (as far as I can tell) entirely possible in an actual chess game with skilled players. Every piece under attack has a unique piece guarding it (if a hardcore student of the game wants to double check this for me, go ahead).

Although having a one piece bonus sounds crazy (the white queen in particular is in a very powerful position), there are many pieces to choose from. Also, the autodeployment makes it a bit easier to deal with.

The pieces will start off with neutrals on them. Here's my suggestion:

Pawn-2
Knight, Bishop, Rook-5
Queen-8
King-10

I also think the territory bonuses should be adjusted so that an army is given for every 2 territories (instead of 3). Otherwise, things might start off slow.

Thoughts? 8-)
Captain john9blue

Re: Chess Map (7th draft on page 7)

Postby oaktown on Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:48 am

back and forth, back and forth...
Captain oaktown

Postby Mr_Adams on Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:07 am

can C2 attack B3, or can you only attack empty spaces/ pieces of the opposite color? You should clarify this in the rules.
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby john9blue on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:31 am

New draft incoming:

A few minor tweaks were made:
-Instructions were made clearer
-Bonuses are now autodeployed
-Objective was placed on the bottom
-Height was increased 25 pixels to compensate
-Lighting effects on the instructions box were changed

Woot, 100th post in the thread! Give me your worst. :P
Captain john9blue

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box