Conquer Club

[Rules] Ability to Start Missed Turn Before Next Player

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[Rules] Ability to Start Missed Turn Before Next Player

Postby Mr_Adams on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:02 pm

suggestion: Ability to start a turn after your "time is up" given that the next person has not yet started their turn.

reason for change: pretty obvious

So basically, I show up an hour after my time is up, but the next player hasn't started his/her turn yet. I should be able to salvage my turn by playing it now. This would make bus Saturdays less painful to these long term games....
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby insomniacdude on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:13 pm

Actually, this is really brilliant. One of the best ideas I've ever read. Obviously this would only work for sequential games? If it's included in Freestyle, it need some finesse.
Cadet insomniacdude

Postby caricaturd on Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:28 pm

I second that. I hardly ever miss turns, but when I do, its usually by a few short hours, if that. I also play sequential games pretty exclusively, so I'm all for this
Lieutenant caricaturd

Postby Timminz on Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:15 am

This sounds like a surprisingly good idea, to me. I can't see any abuse coming from it, and it would help the many players who really try not to miss turns. I know I've missed a bunch of turns by minutes, when traveling.
Captain Timminz

Postby Stoney229 on Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:10 am

I've wished for this for quite a while... can't remember if there was (but I don't think there was) any reason I never posted the suggestion myself.
Score: 1739
Games: 88 Completed, 52 (59%) Won
#1302/21963
Lieutenant Stoney229

Postby Iliad on Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:12 am

That's a great idea. You could play until the next person starts his turn.

It really sucks if you miss a turn and you have to watch hopelessly wehn the other person hasn't started their turn yet.

But you gotta think about the next person and so he dooesn't get less time somehow. Just gotta be careful here there's no double turn loophole. I don't think there is but keep an eye out to abuse
Private 1st Class Iliad

Postby Jamie on Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:21 am

Brilliant
Highest score to date: 2704 (June 25, 2008)
Highest on Scoreboard: 86 (June 25, 2008)
Highest Rank : Colonel (May 27, 2008)
Lowest Score to date : 776 (Nov 20, 2012)
Lowest Rank to date: Cook (Nov 20, 2012)
Shortest game won: 15 seconds - Game 12127866
Corporal 1st Class Jamie

Postby lackattack on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:46 am

Very interesting. I'll put it as "Pending".
Sergeant lackattack

Postby yeti_c on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:47 am

I think this should probably be "sequential" only?!

Working out the exact order of What the hell - could be tricky for Freestyle... as who played last determines who can play next...?!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby wicked on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:55 am

What if the legit person's whose turn it is comes on when the previous player is playing and has to wait? What will his "time to next turn be"?? Will he get the full 24 hours, and how will that be noted on the game clock? If it's really my turn in a game, and I come on and see the guy before taking a turn, I assume I have 24 hours and put off that turn. When in reality, I may have quite less than that. If I only play once a day, then I get screwed.

I think there's a huge potential for confusion and a slight possibility for abuse.

It would have to be for sequential only, as it's always your turn in freestyle within the round if you haven't gone yet (and weren't the the one to end the round).
Major wicked

Postby insomniacdude on Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:18 am

wicked wrote:What if the legit person's whose turn it is comes on when the previous player is playing and has to wait? What will his "time to next turn be"?? Will he get the full 24 hours, and how will that be noted on the game clock? If it's really my turn in a game, and I come on and see the guy before taking a turn, I assume I have 24 hours and put off that turn. When in reality, I may have quite less than that. If I only play once a day, then I get screwed.

I think there's a huge potential for confusion and a slight possibility for abuse.

I'm generally in the boat that argues "Pay more attention". Just check the game log. It won't be hard.
Cadet insomniacdude

Postby yeti_c on Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:18 am

Once the player takes there turn then the next players turn starts again (i.e. they get 24 hours)

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby insomniacdude on Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:21 am

yeti_c wrote:Once the player takes there turn then the next players turn starts again (i.e. they get 24 hours)

C.

Hm. Another decent option. I don't know if I like the idea of a max 14 day wait in 8p games, but the safety net might be nice to offset that.

That would also be nice for team games. If a player wants the advise of his teammates no how toe react to a new move, they might not achieve that with only four hours left.
Cadet insomniacdude

Postby yeti_c on Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:35 am

insomniacdude wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Once the player takes there turn then the next players turn starts again (i.e. they get 24 hours)

C.

Hm. Another decent option. I don't know if I like the idea of a max 14 day wait in 8p games, but the safety net might be nice to offset that.

That would also be nice for team games. If a player wants the advise of his teammates no how toe react to a new move, they might not achieve that with only four hours left.

Here's another problem though...

Say player 1 skips... OK whilst player 2 can take his turn player 1 still can...

Then player 2 skips... can Player 1 still pick up his turn whilst player 3 *can* play?

(Thus resetting it to player 2's turn...)

If so - then this could be an elegant solution to a vacation flag... i.e. you just leave it rolling until the player that has gone away and plays their turn... it then rolls all the way back to his initial skipped turn and the game carries on...

In this instance though you would want to *not* have a 3 turn deadbeat... (i.e. if everyone is missing their turns then don't deadbeat people out)

C.
Last edited by yeti_c on Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:36 am

(PS then of course you'll get a load of Neg feedbacks saying - "we'd agreed vacation but they took their turn and I missed mine")

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby wicked on Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:48 am

C.

The game is already long enough. I don't like the idea of dragging it out further.

I also agree it'll be WAY too complicated when multiple consecutive players miss turns.
Major wicked

Postby yeti_c on Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:06 pm

wicked wrote:

C.

The game is already long enough. I don't like the idea of dragging it out further.

I also agree it'll be WAY too complicated when multiple consecutive players miss turns.

Yeah but no-one would really notice - cos if the player returned and played... the next player would still play at the same time they were going to play anyway - thus restoring equilibrium...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby kingprawn on Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:17 pm

Hmmmm, It's not a bad idea I suppose. However, I am of the opinion that 24 hours is long enough. I miss the odd turn every now and then but just appologise and continue playing. If you are going on holiday it's simpe enough to organise a babysitter for your account.
Private kingprawn

Postby insomniacdude on Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:35 pm

kingprawn wrote:Hmmmm, It's not a bad idea I suppose. However, I am of the opinion that 24 hours is long enough. I miss the odd turn every now and then but just appologise and continue playing. If you are going on holiday it's simpe enough to organise a babysitter for your account.

The idea in the OP wasn't an idea for vacations. It's for those occasional missed turns that you and I both miss by five hours because of randomly busy days. The idea of vacations didn't come up until someone threw another idea onto the OP.
Cadet insomniacdude

Postby Forza AZ on Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:45 pm

To prevent that games get much longer you can have a maximum to it. So let's say maximum 12 hours after your turn expired you can still take it. If you miss that period then you can't take your turn any more and you really have missed it. This will prevent games taking much longer then now, since at the time the 36 hours limit expires the time for the next players turn is also already halfway. Also there won't be a problem with 2 players in a row that miss their turn.
Highest score: 3130 (9 July 2009)
Colonel Forza AZ

Postby Stoney229 on Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:46 pm

yeti_c wrote:
insomniacdude wrote:

C.

Here's another problem though...

Say player 1 skips... OK whilst player 2 can take his turn player 1 still can...

Then player 2 skips... can Player 1 still pick up his turn whilst player 3 *can* play?

(Thus resetting it to player 2's turn...)

If so - then this could be an elegant solution to a vacation flag... i.e. you just leave it rolling until the player that has gone away and plays their turn... it then rolls all the way back to his initial skipped turn and the game carries on...

In this instance though you would want to *not* have a 3 turn deadbeat... (i.e. if everyone is missing their turns then don't deadbeat people out)

C.

No, player one would be able to take his turn until the next scheduled player starts his/her turn. So when player 1 finishes his late turn... it still resets to player 3's turn... but player 2 will still be able to take his/her turn until player 3 starts their turn on schedule. Not too complicated. works perfectly as far as I can tell.

Granted, it has the potential to make rounds longer, but I think this would not happen often, and the benefit is worth the cost.... not to mention that this does not have to be a mandatory feature, but can be an option to be decided upon by the game creator.
#1302/21963
Lieutenant Stoney229

Postby Stoney229 on Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:50 pm

also, I see no reason why this cannot be applied to freestyle games. If you miss your turn by a couple minutes, then it is likely that no one else will have taken their turn yet... so you should be able to have the option of taking your turn from from previous round, and when you are done the round is reset as though you were the last person to take a turn in the previous round (i.e. you still cannot take a double-turn).
#1302/21963
Lieutenant Stoney229

Postby Mr_Adams on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:25 pm

Response to "to confusing if I get on while it's HE/SHE is playing his should-be missed turn."

wow that's a long title...

well, this would then show up like a freestyle game, with a little green dot next to player one AND player two's names, until player 2 starts his/her turn. also, you would not have a possibility of 48 hours to take your turn. if player one's time runs out, player two's timer starts, if player two's time runs out, player 3 then begins his timer, and NOW player 1 has a missed turn for sure. or if player 2 begins his/her turn before player one, player one now has a missed turn. The idea is just that if player one gets on before player 2's turn starts but after player 1's own turn ends, player 1 now has the opprotunity to take that turn, despite being late...
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby laci_mae on Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:06 pm

I agree with all the benefits that have been put forth. I also see the conflict of interest with the person who's time is being utilized.

The other part of this discussion must be the effect on the other players in the game. Would everyone's turns be pushed back? I see potential for abuse if you know the next player is a deadbeat, and even more so if the last 2 or 3 players (say in an 8 person game) are new recruit deadbeats.

Were this option enacted, I don't believe it would affect my play very often. I just thought I might chime in as devil's advocate.

Best,
LMR
Corporal 1st Class laci_mae

Postby Fruitcake on Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:28 am

Call me a party pooper, but I think this is not a good idea.

It panders to those who cannot be bothered to do anything on time. Yes some miss their turn because they have not been able to get to the site, but many are just bone bloody idle.

It also introduces more thought for strategy, and ensures the poor turn taker following, if he wants to take advantage of the bone idle twat who misssed his turn, then has to make sure he is standing by as soon as the 24 hours is up, thus making it a negative reward for those who take their turns, and a positive reward for those who miss.

Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
Colonel Fruitcake

Next

Return to Suggestions