Conquer Club

Battle For Iraq! [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby yeti_c on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:38 am

mibi wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
mibi wrote:In light of Coleman's disappearance I am recruiting some one else to tackle the complex and tricky XML of this map so that it may move. If you think you have what it takes to tango with my machinations then please tell me below.

I'll do it for ya...

C.

then do it!

OK Dokey... Consider it done...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:42 am

OK I've created the XML

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/19/1707364/iraq.xml

No Co-ords done - do you want me to do those too?

Couple of GFX things to remember...

"Allloyalties"
"Karkh-Greenzone" (Note no space in Greenzone too)
East Radhid goes to Karbala - I assumed this is the City not the province for the XML - should probably tweak for image.

Also - I guess you should add my name to the map too (Don't remove Coleman - he still helped with a lot of the work)

Here's the warning list - which as far as I can tell - is fine...

111 continents, 87 territories

Xml Checker wrote:Warning: Territory City of Mosul has border Baathists of Mosul, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Mosul has border US Army of Mosul, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Kirkuk has border Baathists of Kirkuk, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Kirkuk has border US Army of Kirkuk, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Tikrit has border Baathists of Tikrit, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Tikrit has border US Army of Tikrit, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Qa'am has border Baathists of Qa'am, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Qa'am has border US Army of Qa'am, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Hidithah has border Baathists of Hidithah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Hidithah has border US Army of Hidithah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Ramadi has border Baathists of Ramadi, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Ramadi has border US Army of Ramadi, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Fallujah has border Baathists of Fallujah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Fallujah has border US Army of Fallujah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Rutbah has border Baathists of Rutbah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Rutbah has border US Army of Rutbah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Karbala has border Baathists of Karbala, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Karbala has border US Army of Karbala, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Nasiriyah has border Baathists of Nasiriyah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Nasiriyah has border US Army of Nasiriyah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Basrah has border Baathists of Basrah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Basrah has border US Army of Basrah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Umm Qasr has border Baathists of Umm Qasr, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory City of Umm Qasr has border US Army of Umm Qasr, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory Mahdi Army of Basrah has border Sector: Sadr City, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory Mahdi Army of Fallujah has border Sector: Sadr City, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory Mahdi Army of Hidithah has border Sector: Sadr City, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory Mahdi Army of Karbala has border Sector: Sadr City, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory Mahdi Army of Kirkuk has border Sector: Sadr City, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory Mahdi Army of Mosul has border Sector: Sadr City, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory Mahdi Army of Nasiriyah has border Sector: Sadr City, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory Mahdi Army of Qa'am has border Sector: Sadr City, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory Mahdi Army of Ramadi has border Sector: Sadr City, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory Mahdi Army of Rutbah has border Sector: Sadr City, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory Mahdi Army of Tikrit has border Sector: Sadr City, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory Mahdi Army of Umm Qasr has border Sector: Sadr City, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory Baathists of Basrah has no borders

Warning: Territory Baathists of Fallujah has no borders

Warning: Territory Baathists of Hidithah has no borders

Warning: Territory Baathists of Karbala has no borders

Warning: Territory Baathists of Kirkuk has no borders

Warning: Territory Baathists of Mosul has no borders

Warning: Territory Baathists of Nasiriyah has no borders

Warning: Territory Baathists of Qa'am has no borders

Warning: Territory Baathists of Ramadi has no borders

Warning: Territory Baathists of Rutbah has no borders

Warning: Territory Baathists of Tikrit has no borders

Warning: Territory Baathists of Umm Qasr has no borders

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Basrah has border City of Tikrit, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Basrah has border City of Qa'am, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Basrah has border City of Hidithah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Basrah has border City of Ramadi, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Basrah has border City of Fallujah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Basrah has border City of Rutbah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Basrah has border City of Karbala, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Fallujah has border City of Tikrit, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Fallujah has border City of Qa'am, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Fallujah has border City of Hidithah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Fallujah has border City of Ramadi, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Fallujah has border City of Rutbah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Fallujah has border City of Karbala, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Hidithah has border City of Tikrit, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Hidithah has border City of Qa'am, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Hidithah has border City of Ramadi, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Hidithah has border City of Fallujah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Hidithah has border City of Rutbah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Hidithah has border City of Karbala, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Karbala has border City of Tikrit, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Karbala has border City of Qa'am, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Karbala has border City of Hidithah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Karbala has border City of Ramadi, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Karbala has border City of Fallujah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Karbala has border City of Rutbah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Kirkuk has border City of Tikrit, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Kirkuk has border City of Qa'am, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Kirkuk has border City of Hidithah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Kirkuk has border City of Ramadi, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Kirkuk has border City of Fallujah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Kirkuk has border City of Rutbah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Kirkuk has border City of Karbala, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Mosul has border City of Tikrit, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Mosul has border City of Qa'am, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Mosul has border City of Hidithah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Mosul has border City of Ramadi, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Mosul has border City of Fallujah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Mosul has border City of Rutbah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Mosul has border City of Karbala, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Nasiriyah has border City of Tikrit, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Nasiriyah has border City of Qa'am, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Nasiriyah has border City of Hidithah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Nasiriyah has border City of Ramadi, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Nasiriyah has border City of Fallujah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Nasiriyah has border City of Rutbah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Nasiriyah has border City of Karbala, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Qa'am has border City of Tikrit, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Qa'am has border City of Hidithah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Qa'am has border City of Ramadi, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Qa'am has border City of Fallujah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Qa'am has border City of Rutbah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Qa'am has border City of Karbala, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Ramadi has border City of Tikrit, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Ramadi has border City of Qa'am, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Ramadi has border City of Hidithah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Ramadi has border City of Fallujah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Ramadi has border City of Rutbah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Ramadi has border City of Karbala, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Rutbah has border City of Tikrit, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Rutbah has border City of Qa'am, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Rutbah has border City of Hidithah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Rutbah has border City of Ramadi, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Rutbah has border City of Fallujah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Rutbah has border City of Karbala, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Tikrit has border City of Qa'am, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Tikrit has border City of Hidithah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Tikrit has border City of Ramadi, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Tikrit has border City of Fallujah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Tikrit has border City of Rutbah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Tikrit has border City of Karbala, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Umm Qasr has border City of Tikrit, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Umm Qasr has border City of Qa'am, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Umm Qasr has border City of Hidithah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Umm Qasr has border City of Ramadi, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Umm Qasr has border City of Fallujah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Umm Qasr has border City of Rutbah, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory al-Qaeda of Umm Qasr has border City of Karbala, but not vice versa

Warning: Territory US Army of Basrah has no borders

Warning: Territory US Army of Fallujah has no borders

Warning: Territory US Army of Hidithah has no borders

Warning: Territory US Army of Karbala has no borders

Warning: Territory US Army of Kirkuk has no borders

Warning: Territory US Army of Mosul has no borders

Warning: Territory US Army of Nasiriyah has no borders

Warning: Territory US Army of Qa'am has no borders

Warning: Territory US Army of Ramadi has no borders

Warning: Territory US Army of Rutbah has no borders

Warning: Territory US Army of Tikrit has no borders

Warning: Territory US Army of Umm Qasr has no borders

Summary: 0 errors and 137 warnings detected in iraq.xml (111 continents, 87 territories)

C.
Last edited by yeti_c on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:33 am

Also - Reorder the flags/legend... at the moment the legend reads

Mahdi
Baathist
AQ
US

But the flags read

AQ
US
Baathist
Mahdi

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:11 am

Current army alignments...

Still to do...

Large!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Re: Battle for Iraq! - v11 P33 - LOOKING 4 CODER! [Final Forge]

Postby yeti_c on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:30 pm

So I'm assuming my centering is all good then... as no comments - I'll see if I can get the large map done sometime...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:56 am

BTW - Not sure I'll get a chance to do this for a few days... so if anyone fancies doing the Co-ords for the large - then feel free...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Gustaf Wasa on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:51 am

There is almost no al-Qaeda in Iraq. That was propaganda used by the neocons to justify the invasion, and then to stay. There is a group calling itself "al-Qaeda in Mesopotamia," which has been used in neocon propaganda endlessly, and which has been denounced by the real al-Qaeda.

With that in mind, the "al-Qaeda region" definitely needs a name change
General Gustaf Wasa

Postby mibi on Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:57 pm

[quote="Gustaf Wasa"]There is almost no al-Qaeda in Iraq. That was propaganda used by the neocons to justify the invasion, and then to stay. There is a group calling itself "al-Qaeda in Mesopotamia," which has been used in neocon propaganda endlessly, and which has been denounced by the real al-Qaeda.

With that in mind, the "al-Qaeda region" definitely needs a name change[/quote]

The neocons are running wikipedia! oh noes!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Qaeda_in_Iraq
Captain mibi

Postby hufflepuff on Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:42 am

I do agree that an Iraq War map would be great, but there's to much to this map for me...I look forward to giving it a try though. I'm sure others will enjoy it.

(on a side note)
see how i gave my opinion, but was still nice about it. I've read many comments by this creator on other map ideas ... he/she immature criticisms with no comment on how to better the idea.

good luck with your map. the art of it looks nice.
Cook hufflepuff

Postby mibi on Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:14 pm

[quote="hufflepuff"]

(on a side note)
see how i gave my opinion, but was still nice about it. I've read many comments by this creator on other map ideas ... he/she immature criticisms with no comment on how to better the idea.
[/quote]

uh...I've given thousands of opinions, some are less constructive than others. nice first post.
Captain mibi

Postby yeti_c on Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:07 am

Large numbers started...

Done Loyalties, Cities & Provinces.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/19/ ... umbers.png

TODO - Sectors.

Also - the box border just below the word Tikrit is a pixel too thin on the large map.

C.

PS Gah - I wish these images worked!!
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:06 am

OK Dokey - done the XML...

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/19/ ... ers888.png

So last few issues as I see them...

[list]
[*]The box border just below the word Tikrit is a pixel too thin on the large & small map (Loyalties).
[*]Karbala wording on large & small map seems to be ghosted. (Loyalties)
[*]Reorder the legend to match Loyalties. (Legend)
[*]"Allloyalties" (in Rules of Engagement (ROE)
[*]"Karkh-Greenzone" (Note no space in Greenzone too) (ROE)
[*]"al-Qeda" (ROE)
[*]East Radhid goes to Karbala - I assumed that this is the City not the province for the XML - should probably tweak for image. (Legend)
[*]I guess you should *add* my name to the map too (Don't remove Coleman - he still helped with a lot of the work) (ROE)
[*]Any Co-ordinate & XML Errors that I may have added!! (Are there any?)
[/list]

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby mibi on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:22 pm

[quote="yeti_c"]OK Dokey - done the XML...

So last few issues as I see them...

[list]
[*]The box border just below the word Tikrit is a pixel too thin on the large & small map (Loyalties).
- you gotta be kidding. It stays, this map is torn and distressed, the thin line is because a fiber in the paper was dislodged during a sandstorm.
- ghosted? say what now?
[*]Reorder the legend to match Loyalties. (Legend)
- ok, i'll get on it
[*]"Allloyalties" (in Rules of Engagement (ROE)
- im on it.
[*]"Karkh-Greenzone" (Note no space in Greenzone too) (ROE)
- right, gotta chance to Rusafa-Greenzone
[*]"al-Qeda" (ROE)
-im on it
[*]East Radhid goes to Karbala - I assumed that this is the City not the province for the XML - should probably tweak for image. (Legend)
-your right
[*]I guess you should *add* my name to the map too (Don't remove Coleman - he still helped with a lot of the work) (ROE)
ok, i'll add Yeti Abdullah
[*]Any Co-ordinate & XML Errors that I may have added!! (Are there any?)
[/list]

C.[/quote]
Captain mibi

Postby yeti_c on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:33 am

[list]
- you gotta be kidding. It stays, this map is torn and distressed, the thin line is because a fiber in the paper was dislodged during a sandstorm.
> OK that's fine - just making sure it was meant to be like that...
- ghosted? say what now?
> Look closely at the line of pixels underneath the word - it looks like the word used to be a pixel lower and got moved up 1 - but copied rather than moved...
[/list]

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:06 am

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/19/ ... arbala.png

Here's a picture to illustrate what I mean.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Marvaddin on Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:03 am

This map looks very interesting... The loyality thing looks very interesting... But let me see if I understand it well. (Sorry because its probably on the topic, but Im too lazy to read 25 pages)

So, the territories will start with players and the loyalty squares neutrals. If I take Baathist loyalty square, I will receive an extra army, and its the same if I take USA loyalty, but if I get both I will receive just 1 (because I get -1 for double loyalty). This I think I got correctly.

What Im not sure is, if I get any single al-Qaeda (its mispelled on legend!) loyalty flag, I can attack sunny cities from it??? Mahdi attacking Sadr city looks like a much worse bonus.

Beyond that, provinces can attack cities, I assume. It should be at legend, I think. And about Baghdad, I think it could have a bit less routes, and mainly, its legend is confusing (very dark). I spent a good time to stop confusing Baghdad regions.

But very good work, Im impressed.
Major Marvaddin

Postby mibi on Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:34 pm

[quote="Marvaddin"]This map looks very interesting... The loyality thing looks very interesting... But let me see if I understand it well. (Sorry because its probably on the topic, but Im too lazy to read 25 pages)

So, the territories will start with players and the loyalty squares neutrals. If I take Baathist loyalty square, I will receive an extra army, and its the same if I take USA loyalty, but if I get both I will receive just 1 (because I get -1 for double loyalty). This I think I got correctly.

What Im not sure is, if I get any single al-Qaeda (its mispelled on legend!) loyalty flag, I can attack sunny cities from it??? Mahdi attacking Sadr city looks like a much worse bonus.

Beyond that, provinces can attack cities, I assume. It should be at legend, I think. And about Baghdad, I think it could have a bit less routes, and mainly, its legend is confusing (very dark). I spent a good time to stop confusing Baghdad regions.

But very good work, Im impressed.[/quote]

Marv, if you take a bathist and USA loyalty in the same city you get -1, you can have a bathist in one city and USA in another however. Also it appears that the Al-Queda bonus is better than Mahdi army, and it is. But the Al-Quada loyalties are the 2nd hardest to get besides USA. There was a map with the neutrals a few pages back and it ranges between 1-3 on each loyalty square. The allignments with the least resistance are Baathist, Mahdi, Al-Queda, then USA. So it balances out, hopefully.

This map is very complex and designed to reflect the complexities of the subject matter. Bahgdad is incredibly hard to hold, this is especially the case in reality. thanks for the feedback.
Captain mibi

Postby yeti_c on Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:54 am

Hmmm - I just realised that I didn't do any Neutrals on the map...

Fixed now...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby mibi on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:15 pm

Changes:
-loyalty legend reordered
-Mahdi army can now attack any mahdi bagdad regepn instead of just sadr city.
-various ROE changes.
-changed some loyalty neutrals to better balane al-queda. (double check this yeti)

Here is the official break down

al-Qaeda: Total bonus = +18. Total resistance = 27.
United Stands: Total bonus = +24. Total resistance = 36.
Baathist: Total bonus: +12. Total resistance = 18.
Mahdi Army: Total bonus +21. Total resistance = 26.

The Mahdi get their strength in numbers and need 4 to get a bonus of 7, they have a strong hold in Baghdad.
al-Qaeda get their strength in subversion and need 2 to get a bonus of 3 and can rise up in any of the 7 Sunni cities at whim.
The US get their strength from dominance and need 1 to get a bonus 2, but their power requires an absolute hold on the green zone.
The Baathists get their strength from their allegiance and need 1 to get a bonus of 1, well liked almost everywhere, but not enough to cause a ruckas.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9744/iraqlqf8.jpg
with neutrals
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1484/iraqlnol6.jpg

can't wait to play this lovely.
Captain mibi

Postby yeti_c on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:05 am

Looking uber sweet Mibi...

I'll double check the XML later...

Things to do for XML
a) Add new borders for Mahdi army
b) Check Neutrals.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Re: Battle for Iraq! - v11 P33 -looking for yei_c [Final Forge]

Postby yeti_c on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:39 am

yeti_c wrote:Looking uber sweet Mibi...

I'll double check the XML later...

Things to do for XML
a) Add new borders for Mahdi army
b) Check Neutrals.

C.

Done... (Please do a refresh if you need to reget this file... it may cache otherwise)

C.

PS - I'm reposting this to garner some attention - and to fix the BB code - to show that I've done the XML work...

And here are the army numbers overlaid on the map (note the map here is slightly out of date - but the army cirlces haven't moved.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by yeti_c on Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby bryguy on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:41 am

u may want to change this topics title, cause u obviously found yeti_c (and who is yei_c?)
Corporal bryguy

Postby yeti_c on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:46 am

bryguy wrote:(and who is yei_c?)

What are you on about?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby bryguy on Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:59 am

yeti_c wrote:
bryguy wrote:(and who is yei_c?)