Conquer Club

High Seas [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: High Seas, circle work pg.12 [I, GP]

Postby oaktown on Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:15 pm

edbeard wrote:As long as centering is possible then I think it doesn't matter too much.

right - centering shouldn't be a problem (knock on wood).

edbeard wrote:Those seem fine but I didn't look too closely.

If you had, you would've noticed that I somehow missed the Baltic circle.

edbeard wrote:Why don't you see how it looks without them? It doesn't seem like a map where circles are necessary.

The sea color is just dark enough that I have trouble with the numbers sans-circles. Other problems are the waves, the ice floes in the arctic, and the narrow regions like Adriatic where the army counts will cross from water to land.

I'm going to bump the adriatic circle and title up a bit to get the circle off the border, but other than that I'm just sittin' around waiting for suggestions.

edit: done and done.
Click image to enlarge.
Captain oaktown

Re: High Seas, circle work pg.12 [I, GP]

Postby gimil on Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:50 pm

How is this for your troubles?

What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: High Seas, circle work pg.12 [I, GP, Gr]

Postby yeti_c on Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:43 am

Why use circles if you don't like them? What about another shape... something more in keeping with the theme?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:20 am

Could you use a small boat-shaped shadow? It might look a bit rubbish though :?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby bryguy on Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:26 am

i myself love this map, easy gameplay (no way u could get confused on this one), great graphix, and i love the old parchment look

few things tho

1) You have to take a second glance to see that there is a 'to so south sea' and 'to scotia sea'
2) I like the dotted lines, and i noticed that u put them over the ships to if u needed to, yet u didnt for the thing between scotia sea and cape basin, could u?
3) this is probably unimportant, but u cant really read the white text saying what the seas are (the white text under the territory names)

other than those 3 things, i think this map is good to go
Corporal bryguy

Re: High Seas, update pg.11 [I, GP]

Postby iancanton on Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:17 am

oaktown wrote:I acknowledge that africa is still too low, but I've taken the liberty of showing it incorrectly because otherwise the northern hemisphere territories are going to be an absolutely mess. As for ancient mariners getting the geography correct, you're absolutely right. But the mapmakers of the day generally weren't so knowledgeable, and they often took liberties or just plain made things up, as I have.

without changing any territory borders, there is one thing that we can do to make the equator intersect africa in the right place: use the river that's currently in west africa as the new african coastline by colouring in everything to the south as blue sea (in other words, expanding gulf of guinea territory). the shape of africa will be distorted (as it often was on those maps, since longitude was difficult to measure) while keeping the integrity of the equator's known location relative to the african coastline.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: High Seas, update pg.11 [I, GP]

Postby oaktown on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:03 pm

iancanton wrote:without changing any territory borders, there is one thing that we can do to make the equator intersect africa in the right place: use the river that's currently in west africa as the new african coastline by colouring in everything to the south as blue sea (in other words, expanding gulf of guinea territory). the shape of africa will be distorted (as it often was on those maps, since longitude was difficult to measure) while keeping the integrity of the equator's known location relative to the african coastline.

ian. :)

That works for me... I'll make it happen if/when I have some free time.
Captain oaktown

Postby oaktown on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:35 pm

Click image to enlarge.

updated as per iancanton's excellent suggestion... africa slightly redrawn to set the equator right, and I dropped some islands in at appropriate places.
Captain oaktown

Re: High Seas, latest pg. 1 & 13 [I, GP, Gr]

Postby TaCktiX on Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:59 pm

I really like the new distortion to Africa, it adds to the aged and inaccurate feel of the geography on the map. Nice work on this Oaktown, and good suggestion iancanton.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Unit_2 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:10 pm

I like what you have done but look at the divider line, it kinda faints in a few places, is it suppost to be that way?
Corporal 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby oaktown on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:04 am

Unit_2 wrote:I like what you have done but look at the divider line, it kinda faints in a few places, is it suppost to be that way?

if you mean the equator, yes it is supposed to be faint. It doesn't really play any part in the game, so making it any more prominent would only be confusing.
Captain oaktown

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:06 am

I noticed that all your sea/ocean regions' names are in Latin apart from the Mediterranean area which you called Great Seas.

Why not call it Mare Mediterraneus or Mare Nostrum as the Romans used to call it to stick with Latin?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby oaktown on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:07 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:I noticed that all your sea/ocean regions' names are in Latin apart from the Mediterranean area which you called Great Seas.

Why not call it Mare Mediterraneus or Mare Nostrum as the Romans used to call it to stick with Latin?

I wanted the region name to encompass the adriatic and black sea as well, and to be something that would make it obvious that it does so. Also, calling it mediterraneus has the potential to be confused with the region "Mediterranean" - though the Nostrum idea might work. I still like keeping it simple, so if anybody else has any thoughts on that...
Captain oaktown

Postby bryguy on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:09 am

bryguy wrote:i myself love this map, easy gameplay (no way u could get confused on this one), great graphix, and i love the old parchment look

few things tho

1) You have to take a second glance to see that there is a 'to so south sea' and 'to scotia sea'
2) I like the dotted lines, and i noticed that u put them over the ships to if u needed to, yet u didnt for the thing between scotia sea and cape basin, could u?
3) this is probably unimportant, but u cant really read the white text saying what the seas are (the white text under the territory names)

other than those 3 things, i think this map is good to go

just wondering if u saw this

btw cant wait to play!
Corporal bryguy

Postby TaCktiX on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:11 am

I'm with Ruben in voting for naming consistency. It's jarring theme-wise to be going through all these beautiful old-style Latin names for regions, then suddenly there's "Great Sea", which smacks so much of modern-day thinking. Mare Nostrum should work, as you've already noted.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby yeti_c on Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:09 pm

"Mare Internum" could work... taken from... (Internal Sea)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediteranean_sea

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:40 pm

Yes the Romans used to call it Mare Nostrum or Mare Internum. The former was more common.

As far as I know the Adriatic sea is considered as part of the Mediterreanean sea just like the Tyrrhennian, Ionian and Aegean seas.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby oaktown on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:57 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:Yes the Romans used to call it Mare Nostrum or Mare Internum. The former was more common.

While Mare Nostrum would fit the space better, I like Mare Internum - it could be argued that the Black Sea fits this identification as well. Oh wait... here it is! Made some other little clarity changes as well, such as making the the bonuses a bit larger on the inset map.
Click image to enlarge.

Ruben Cassar wrote:As far as I know the Adriatic sea is considered as part of the Mediterreanean sea just like the Tyrrhennian, Ionian and Aegean seas.

Sure, but I can't very well have a two territory region with one border - it is an easy enough bonus as it is. The Adriatic was added after the link to the Red Sea was dropped.
Captain oaktown

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:32 am

oaktown wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:As far as I know the Adriatic sea is considered as part of the Mediterranean sea just like the Tyrrhennian, Ionian and Aegean seas.

Sure, but I can't very well have a two territory region with one border - it is an easy enough bonus as it is. The Adriatic was added after the link to the Red Sea was dropped.

Yes, I totally agree with that. I thought you meant something else when I replied that post.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:17 am

Some of the rivers look pixely/jagged compared to other things on land (animals, mountains, etc.). I suggested a while ago that you reduce the opacity on the layers for land-stuff (animals, mountains, rivers, etc.) - not sure if you missed that or just disagree.

There's some weirdness in the minimap by South America/Antarctica - they look like they're connecting, almost. I think this is because on the Scotia sea, you have a dotted line between the territory and the "To South Sea." But on the South Sea territory, this line isn't there. Personally, I don't think the line is necessary. It's obvious enough that they're two separate continents.

Other than those things, this map is looking great!
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:30 pm

I like the name change from Great Seas. The latest maps in the Foundry are looking top notch...and this one is certainly a beauty (and has game play I'd understand, ;)).

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby yeti_c on Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:26 am

ZeakCytho wrote:There's some weirdness in the minimap by South America/Antarctica - they look like they're connecting, almost. I think this is because on the Scotia sea, you have a dotted line between the territory and the "To South Sea." But on the South Sea territory, this line isn't there. Personally, I don't think the line is necessary. It's obvious enough that they're two separate continents.

That territory just wraps round on to the other side of the map... hence the singular territory border on the 1 side.

Having said that though - that border looks different to all the others!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby oaktown on Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:26 am

yeti_c wrote:Having said that though - that border looks different to all the others!!

huh, you're right... somehow I didn't catch it in the last change to the borders, which suggests its got its own layer - probably has all along. Weird.
Captain oaktown

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:10 am

Change the text to Mare Internvm to be in line with the other oceans and seas. Wonderful Latin. ;)
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby yeti_c on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:00 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:Change the text to Mare Internvm to be in line with the other oceans and seas. Wonderful Latin. ;)

He's got a point.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas