Conquer Club

Egypt: Upper [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: EGYPT UPPER V9 (P7) [I] - Comments please!

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri May 02, 2008 2:50 pm

Your colon placements for names that span two lines are inconsistent. Sometimes the colon goes on the top line at the right, other times on the bottom line at the left. I think all colons should be on the top line a the right, personally, but they should definitely follow a uniform style.

I don't really like the outline on the minimap. Could it be made thinner?

The part of the title that says "The middle regions" is a bit hard to read. Could you give it more of a shadow or make the background of that area a bit less bumpy?

Other than that, looks good :)
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 02, 2008 3:18 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:Your colon placements for names that span two lines are inconsistent. Sometimes the colon goes on the top line at the right, other times on the bottom line at the left. I think all colons should be on the top line a the right, personally, but they should definitely follow a uniform style.[/quote}
It
s dopne like that because in some places it doesn't fit either on the top or bottom, but i'll try to make it more consistent.

I don't really like the outline on the minimap. Could it be made thinner?

That's been done as a request so i'll see if others don't like it.

The part of the title that says "The middle regions" is a bit hard to read. Could you give it more of a shadow or make the background of that area a bit less bumpy?

Other than that, looks good :)

yup next version. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby bryguy on Fri May 02, 2008 3:19 pm

cairnswk wrote:
bryguy wrote:Nothin i can see wrong with it right now, and the :'s look great now

although (and im just spitballing an idea here) for the territories with capitals, could the army numbers be on the capital images?

No...that would create an inconsistency with the other maps.

yea i was gonna place the same ideas in the other thread, but forgot
Corporal bryguy

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 02, 2008 3:29 pm

bryguy wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
bryguy wrote:Nothin i can see wrong with it right now, and the :'s look great now

although (and im just spitballing an idea here) for the territories with capitals, could the army numbers be on the capital images?

No...that would create an inconsistency with the other maps.

yea i was gonna place the same ideas in the other thread, but forgot

sorry bryguy...i'm not in favour of doing that. I'd prefer the capital icon to remain that rather than an army shadow. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby bryguy on Fri May 02, 2008 3:38 pm

sure, fine with me cairns, your the map maker :)

keep up the good work!
Corporal bryguy

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 04, 2008 5:04 pm

Further comments???
EDIT\\\\I should have deleted this first
Last edited by cairnswk on Sun May 04, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Re: EGYPT UPPER V8 (P6) [I] - Comments please!

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 04, 2008 5:05 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Further Comments???
Last edited by cairnswk on Wed May 07, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby TaCktiX on Wed May 07, 2008 4:30 pm

- The bonus text is once again blending into the territories they represent (Lower Egypt had this problem, remember? ;)). Since you're strapped for space this time, I would suggest making the stroke or glow around the text a bit more bold.
- The arrows pointing at the bonuses are superfluous, as it's rather obvious it's the bonus description in the middle.
- The winged creatures on the bonus pillars are blurry and look out of place next to all the other crisp detail you've put into the map's look.
- The two statues at the edges of the map are positioned in different places relative to the edge. Suggest moving the right one further right by a pixel or two to make them match up.
- "Note that" is superfluous and doesn't fit with the rest of the map's descriptions. Suggest changing the paragraph to simply "Some Dows are..."
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 11, 2008 2:47 pm

Amy further comments??
Private cairnswk

Postby oaktown on Wed May 14, 2008 12:09 am

I'm liking the Egypt maps - visually this may be my favorite so far.

it took me a few minutes to wrap my head on exactly where the attack routes go from map to map. Because the northern border of Aa-ta-nubt seems to be cut-off by the graphics rather than being actually shown it seems to me like it should be able to attack something to its north, or continue to extend and sit next to Minu. Perhaps you could fashion the outside borders of each territory to be less perfect?

And some kind of indication on each map as to what can attack what might be needed... something as simple as an arrow or even showing part of the other territory bleed across on to the other map.

Attack arrows - haven't read the entire thread so forgive me if you'll be working on them, but they seem out of place to me. Maybe just a road connecting the territories? As is I wonder why you can cross the desert to attack somebody five territories away, but not three territories away.

Broken territories could be problematic, but i don't have a solution for that right now. I suspect somebody is going to be surprised that Anpu can attack WnKhmun, for example.
Captain oaktown

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 14, 2008 5:03 am

oaktown wrote:I'm liking the Egypt maps - visually this may be my favorite so far.

it took me a few minutes to wrap my head on exactly where the attack routes go from map to map. Because the northern border of Aa-ta-nubt seems to be cut-off by the graphics rather than being actually shown it seems to me like it should be able to attack something to its north, or continue to extend and sit next to Minu. Perhaps you could fashion the outside borders of each territory to be less perfect?

oaktown, the problem there is that the bottom of the middle left column hides the connecting borders. I really don't know what to do with that but will try to experiment.

And some kind of indication on each map as to what can attack what might be needed... something as simple as an arrow or even showing part of the other territory bleed across on to the other map.

Taken care of in the instructions above that area.

Attack arrows - haven't read the entire thread so forgive me if you'll be working on them, but they seem out of place to me. Maybe just a road connecting the territories? As is I wonder why you can cross the desert to attack somebody five territories away, but not three territories away.

Well attacking across the desert would have be used I am sure rather than stick to the Nile River where all movements would be noticed. It really doesn't matter where the attacks, I have used those territories for gameplay, and to losen the map up the same with the sea routes in Lower Egypt.

Broken territories could be problematic, but i don't have a solution for that right now. I suspect somebody is going to be surprised that Anpu can attack WnKhmun, for example.

No neither do I, and that's why there is a note in the instructions that says:

Note that some Dows are used to join two parts of the same territory....i have added Anpu as an i.e.

Other changes made to the map are in the height of the map and the way the columns relate to the dimensions of the perspective of the map.

TaCktiX wrote:- The bonus text is once again blending into the territories they represent (Lower Egypt had this problem, remember? ;)). Since you're strapped for space this time, I would suggest making the stroke or glow around the text a bit more bold.

Done

- The arrows pointing at the bonuses are superfluous, as it's rather obvious it's the bonus description in the middle.
Done

- The winged creatures on the bonus pillars are blurry and look out of place next to all the other crisp detail you've put into the map's look.
Left the winged Gods as they were and added a gaussian blue to the cartouches.

- The two statues at the edges of the map are positioned in different places relative to the edge. Suggest moving the right one further right by a pixel or two to make them match up.

Done.

"Note that" has also been removed.

The arrows i will attend to next version. :) Thanks Guys. :)

So this is a re-worked Version 9 from changes above.

Bloody photobucket has gone down.
EDIT: up again

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: EGYPT UPPER V9 (P8) [I] - Comments please!

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 15, 2008 3:55 pm

Comments??
Private cairnswk

Postby TaCktiX on Thu May 15, 2008 11:10 pm

Overall a good set of changes. Present issues:
- The bonus numbers seem just "shoved" there somewhere on the region. Because the region names have adequate space near them for a single number, perhaps move the numbers and color/effect them the same way as the region they belong to?
- You moved both statues 1 px toward the edge, keeping the same problem. One statue needs to move, not both.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 16, 2008 4:27 am

TaCktiX wrote:Overall a good set of changes. Present issues:
- The bonus numbers seem just "shoved" there somewhere on the region. Because the region names have adequate space near them for a single number, perhaps move the numbers and color/effect them the same way as the region they belong to?
- You moved both statues 1 px toward the edge, keeping the same problem. One statue needs to move, not both.

Moving the statues, i did not move both. I moved the left one.
The number i will look at. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Fri May 16, 2008 4:29 pm

That outer glow of the continent names could probaboy do its duty while not being so strong. A little more transparency should do the trick.

On another note I think this is my favourite of the edgyt maps from a graphics point of view.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: EGYPT UPPER V10 L&S

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 16, 2008 6:07 pm

gimil wrote:That outer glow of the continent names could probaboy do its duty while not being so strong. A little more transparency should do the trick.

On another note I think this is my favourite of the edgyt maps from a graphics point of view.

Lovely gimil,. thanks! all done in Fireworks btw.

Version 10 changes.

1. Expanded the width by 10 px to 590 to allow some space on the left side of the map.
2. the statue on the left is an exact copy of the statue on the right with it's shadow removed coz the light comes in from the right.
3. the shadows on the two middles columns have been removed coz they are perspectively out in front of the maps and probably wouldn't cast a shadow back that far.
4. continent bonuses have been coloured
5. same arrows as used in lower egypt map have been additioned to this map
6. transparency on continent names reduced from 45% to 25%

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby edbeard on Fri May 16, 2008 6:15 pm

maybe this is silly, but could you remove the but after "Minu borders Abedju"

I can imagine players asking where Abedju but is on the map since there's other names with similar letter placements on this map.

Minu borders Abedju
Minu does not border Aa-ta:Nubt

is more clear anyway.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 16, 2008 6:37 pm

edbeard wrote:maybe this is silly, but could you remove the but after "Minu borders Abedju"

I can imagine players asking where Abedju but is on the map since there's other names with similar letter placements on this map.

Minu borders Abedju
Minu does not border Aa-ta:Nubt

is more clear anyway.

It isn't silly, its a difference opinion, I can do that easily.
While i was at it, i changed the tones in the back left column to be a little darker given it would be under a shadowed area there.
Please refresh your browser to see the changes in the version 10 images above.
Private cairnswk

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri May 16, 2008 6:42 pm

Is it just me or does Abu seem to have a gradient on it while none of the other continents do?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 16, 2008 6:59 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:Is it just me or does Abu seem to have a gradient on it while none of the other continents do?

Yay! Someoon's noticed. Yes it does. I'll remove it next version Zeak.... ;)
Private cairnswk

Re: EGYPT UPPER V10 L&S

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 17, 2008 5:56 pm

Gradient fixed in V10.

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat May 17, 2008 7:30 pm

Minor suggestion. Perhaps a little more decoration and elaboration on the "Bonuses" text. Also, "The Middle Regions" looks oddly faded or blurry...perhaps you could bring it out a little more?

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 17, 2008 7:54 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Minor suggestion. Perhaps a little more decoration and elaboration on the "Bonuses" text. Also, "The Middle Regions" looks oddly faded or blurry...perhaps you could bring it out a little more?
--Andy

How does this look Andy?
I've used the Lotus Flower from Lower Egypt as a continuing theme to enhance that section, and THE MIDDLE REGIONS is enhanced also.

Version 11

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: EGYPT UPPER V11 (P9) [I] - Comments please!

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat May 17, 2008 8:56 pm

Looking better already! :) I like the new Bonuses. Perhaps a shadow behind Middle Regions and Bonuses, similar to the above title, but it may not be necessary. My eyes just may not like lack of distinction!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Re: EGYPT UPPER V11 (P9) [I] - Comments please!

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 17, 2008 9:22 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Looking better already! :) I like the new Bonuses. Perhaps a shadow behind Middle Regions and Bonuses, similar to the above title, but it may not be necessary. My eyes just may not like lack of distinction!
--Andy

But Andy, i just pulled the shadow off those names coz you said they was too blury!! ;)
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas