Conquer Club

Egypt: Nubia [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: NUBIAN EGYPT V4 (P3) - New design

Postby mibi on Mon May 05, 2008 10:57 pm

These maps seem to evoke Egypt less and less. This one kinda looks like amoeba under a microscope. If it weren't for the historical flotsam and jetsam, I would swear this image was part of some science project.
Captain mibi

Re: NUBIAN EGYPT V4 (P3) [VACATION]

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 06, 2008 5:58 am

gimil wrote:Cairns whats the stroy with this? It still alive and kicking?

Well, i think Gimil, it'll have to be vacationed for a while.
I have run out of artistic puff at the mo and going to sydney this week isn't going to help.
So i will vacation it, and it can still be reinvented later, like i did with Sydney. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: NUBIAN EGYPT V4 (P3) - New design

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 06, 2008 5:59 am

mibi wrote:These maps seem to evoke Egypt less and less. This one kinda looks like amoeba under a microscope. If it weren't for the historical flotsam and jetsam, I would swear this image was part of some science project.

Yeh, mibi i understand your comment and agree.
I'll tackle it again later to complete the series.
Private cairnswk

Re: NUBIAN EGYPT V4 (P3) [VACATION]

Postby gimil on Tue May 06, 2008 8:45 am

cairnswk wrote:

I have run out of artistic puff at the mo and going to sydney this week isn't going to help.
So i will vacation it, and it can still be reinvented later, like i did with Sydney. :)

In that case have fun in sydney!
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: NUBIAN EGYPT V4 (P3)

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 11, 2008 7:00 pm

gimil wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

In that case have fun in sydney!

Thanks Gimil.

I did have fun.

Can you pulldown the poll from this map please, and i'll get back to it soon.
Private cairnswk

Re: NUBIAN EGYPT V4 (P)

Postby gimil on Sun May 11, 2008 7:55 pm

Nubian Egypt - The Regions of the Black Pharaohs - the last map planned in this series?

Poll ended at Fri May 09, 2008 4:00 am

Yes
60%

No
40%

Total votes : 15

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: NUBIAN EGYPT V5 (P)

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 18, 2008 3:54 am

OK let's get this one moving again.

Ideas behind these changes:
1. This has moved to a dark tone region....the nubians built pryamids that were from a very dark coloured brick.
2. I've enhanced the territories by enlarging them somewhat.
3. the mini map is simplified by removing some of the text, and has good contrast against that dark sandstone
4. colour change on Kurgus
5. additions to Ramesses Well...an outer wall
6. This design uses some colour from the previous Upper Egypt, but will also tie in with the darkness of the Valley of the Kings -> death and afterlife.

Private cairnswk

Re: NUBIAN EGYPT V5 (P4) - New colours

Postby gimil on Sun May 18, 2008 2:05 pm

The region in brown really needs to be a different colour, it blend to much into the bacground and took me a while to realise it was a playable region.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun May 18, 2008 2:07 pm

I liked the old colors much better :(

These seem too dark. Maybe you could settle on an in between color?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby t-o-m on Sun May 18, 2008 2:12 pm

gimil wrote:The region in brown really needs to be a different colour, it blend to much into the bacground and took me a while to realise it was a playable region.

you beat me to it!

that brown doesnt look good to me, i didnt see the gold mines because they're a slightly similar colour
(but that was a quick glance, can see them perfectly now ;))

also, the text in the background of the brown looks almost invisible, i know ur trying to make the text look kinda subliminal but i think its a little too subliminal if you know what i mean.

at the bottom where you have a yellow gradient into nothing i think you should put something there because it looks kinda empty there i think

is Swenet (Elphentine) a terit?

on the mini-map the "4th" with the bright green outer glow looks out of place and i also struggle to read the "Cataract Regions" above the mini-map

p.s. the yellow gradient emplty thing that i was talking about - i think you could move the "Desert Roads" upward so it fills that space
?
but then that space might look empty! ooh i dont know! ;)

well done cairns, lookin' good =D>
Major t-o-m

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun May 18, 2008 2:28 pm

My problem with this map is the theme.

I know what Nubia is, but i know nothing about it.
I know what Egypt is, but i know little about it.

When i see Lower Egypt or Egypt Upper i go "Hey, look- its Egypt!" (more so with Lower)
When i see this, it looks like a bunch of circles circles with a river. The thing that gives classic maps a theme is its location. What should draw me to this map is its location, but i have never seen this place before- and therefore it doesnt really interest me.

Maybe I just need a geography lesson, but for I'm not a huge fan of this part of your Egypt Series. Id rather have something with Pyramids, or Egypt against other Ancient Civilizations (like Mesopotamia or something).

Im not trying to sound harsh, its just this one wont be my favorite Cairn's Map. :(
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 18, 2008 3:07 pm

gimil wrote:The region in brown really needs to be a different colour, it blend to much into the bacground and took me a while to realise it was a playable region.

You means the gold mines with army circles on them?
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 18, 2008 3:12 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:I liked the old colors much better :(

These seem too dark. Maybe you could settle on an in between color?

This is why i chose the dark colour. But i'll see if can find something less harsh.

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 18, 2008 3:17 pm

t-o-m wrote:

you beat me to it!

that brown doesnt look good to me, i didnt see the gold mines because they're a slightly similar colour
(but that was a quick glance, can see them perfectly now ;))

also, the text in the background of the brown looks almost invisible, i know ur trying to make the text look kinda subliminal but i think its a little too subliminal if you know what i mean.

at the bottom where you have a yellow gradient into nothing i think you should put something there because it looks kinda empty there i think

will look at this.

is Swenet (Elphentine) a terit?
Does it have an army circle on it?
No. It is the last major city in Upper Egypt, but it seems that people won't make that connection so i'll put Upper Egypt in there somewhere.

on the mini-map the "4th" with the bright green outer glow looks out of place and i also struggle to read the "Cataract Regions" above the mini-map

OK.

p.s. the yellow gradient emplty thing that i was talking about - i think you could move the "Desert Roads" upward so it fills that space
?
but then that space might look empty! ooh i dont know! ;)

well done cairns, lookin' good =D>

kewl. thanks :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 18, 2008 4:13 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:My problem with this map is the theme.

I know what Nubia is, but i know nothing about it.
I know what Egypt is, but i know little about it.

When i see Lower Egypt or Egypt Upper i go "Hey, look- its Egypt!" (more so with Lower)
When i see this, it looks like a bunch of circles circles with a river. The thing that gives classic maps a theme is its location. What should draw me to this map is its location, but i have never seen this place before- and therefore it doesnt really interest me.

Maybe I just need a geography lesson, but for I'm not a huge fan of this part of your Egypt Series. Id rather have something with Pyramids, or Egypt against other Ancient Civilizations (like Mesopotamia or something).

Im not trying to sound harsh, its just this one wont be my favorite Cairn's Map. :(

Sorry you feel like that Kap. But the fact is that these guys from Nubia ruled the Egyptian world for over 75 years, and from the naming of the Well of Ramesses it is clear that the Lower and Upper region rulers knew this region well. There is also reference in this area to Pharaoh Tuthmose.
I guess is might be just a case of geogrpahy lesson for you and a changing of your mind to accept this area as part of the Egyptian world of ancient times. :)
Private cairnswk

Re: NUBIAN EGYPT V6

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 18, 2008 4:16 pm

Version 6.

Changes:

1. Heightened the map to include the words Upper Egypt at the top to create a link between the previous map.
2. Added a region map to one of the towers to show where this region lies in relation to the rest of the Nile.
3. Adjustment to the Gold Mine territories colour.

Private cairnswk

Re: NUBIAN EGYPT V6 (P5) - Adjustments

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun May 18, 2008 4:28 pm

Could you reduce the opacity on the brick lines in the pyramid-things at the bottom of the map, and in the legend/title at the top? They seem a bit strong.

The minimap showing Nubia in relation to the rest of Egypt is good, but the transition from the tower to it is rather abrupt. Could you give it a more substantial border, about the thickness of the design-thing on the other tower?

Why does the 4th Cataract bonus have a glow on it when none of the others do? I think the glow looks good, I'd just add it to the rest.

The colors of the first and second cataract look very similar to me. Could you change one of them to something more different?

I liked Taharqa's pillar better back in v4, where it was light and the designs on it were dark. The dark pillar with light designs just doesn't look good to me.

In the title bar, the picture of the cataract looks kind of thrown in. Could you give it a glow or something like the dow picture?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby cairnswk on Mon May 19, 2008 3:56 am

ZeakCytho wrote:Could you reduce the opacity on the brick lines in the pyramid-things at the bottom of the map, and in the legend/title at the top? They seem a bit strong.

The minimap showing Nubia in relation to the rest of Egypt is good, but the transition from the tower to it is rather abrupt. Could you give it a more substantial border, about the thickness of the design-thing on the other tower?

Why does the 4th Cataract bonus have a glow on it when none of the others do? I think the glow looks good, I'd just add it to the rest.

The colors of the first and second cataract look very similar to me. Could you change one of them to something more different?

I liked Taharqa's pillar better back in v4, where it was light and the designs on it were dark. The dark pillar with light designs just doesn't look good to me.

In the title bar, the picture of the cataract looks kind of thrown in. Could you give it a glow or something like the dow picture?

Mmmm....you're asking me to move backwards with this, so i'll see what others have to say first before making any decisions. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby bryguy on Mon May 19, 2008 10:28 am

looking great! love the darker colors!

1) Maybe make the gold mine in the legend consistent with the colors of the others?
2) To some people (points to self) its not all that obvious what the bonuses are for the different colored regions
3) I can hardly see the +1 for the well of ramesses
4) The territory 'Well of Rameses II' is different then the spelling in the legend of '+1 Well of Ramesses', difference is 1 s
5) Maybe also add in the 'II' to the Well of Rameses in the legend

looking great! i also love the little image on one of the pillars!
Corporal bryguy

Postby oaktown on Mon May 19, 2008 7:04 pm

seems like a pretty 'advanced' idea to me... I'll give it a more complete look over later.
Captain oaktown

Postby TaCktiX on Tue May 20, 2008 10:33 pm

- Yes, the darker colors look completely bling. Very very good change there. I also like the black pyramid touch, reminiscent of the ones in Sudan (Nubia for the less educated).
- The desert roads seem very un-desert road in their route. They're too straight for roads cut through the desert, especially where they intersect. I would suggest cleaning that up a bit.
- GM12 can be moved up and to the right so that it's in its territory. The GM2 territory can be made a little larger in the bottom left so its text fits. GM6 can move down just a smidge so it also fits.
- The area between the two columns at the bottom seems empty compared to all the activity above it. I would suggest some more Nubian paraphernalia.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 27, 2008 3:36 am

Guys...i haven't forgotten this....hoping to do something on it this weekend. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Coleman on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:11 pm

My first suggestion coming back! This is an odd feeling. Thank you cairnswk for making me feel like I can contribute something again.

Anyway, I find the GM repetition really distracting. The gold mines are a very distinct color and the color swatch by the gold mine explination feels like enough.

I kind of know why you did it, just 1, 2, 3... is odd. Maybe if you did letters? I just think seeing GM over and over like that is a bit much.

Hope you find a way to make that work. This looks like a very good map. =D>

Edit: Oh, uh... I didn't read to see if someone else made you add the GMs or not, I just looked at the latest picture and went with what I thought right away. It really hurts to read a lot for me right now. My brain turns to mush, so sorry if I'm repeating something.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:46 pm

Coleman wrote:My first suggestion coming back! This is an odd feeling. Thank you cairnswk for making me feel like I can contribute something again.

Quite unintentional, but a pleasure.

Anyway, I find the GM repetition really distracting. The gold mines are a very distinct color and the color swatch by the gold mine explination feels like enough.

I kind of know why you did it, just 1, 2, 3... is odd. Maybe if you did letters? I just think seeing GM over and over like that is a bit much.

Hope you find a way to make that work. This looks like a very good map. =D>

What about different names for gold mine territories entirely.

Edit: Oh, uh... I didn't read to see if someone else made you add the GMs or not, I just looked at the latest picture and went with what I thought right away. It really hurts to read a lot for me right now. My brain turns to mush, so sorry if I'm repeating something.

no they haven't....and take it easy.
Private cairnswk

Postby Coleman on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:33 pm

cairnswk wrote:What about different names for gold mine territories entirely.

That would be swell. :)
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas