Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Era of the Three Kingdoms

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - Era of the Three Kingdoms

Postby gimil on Thu May 22, 2008 4:17 pm

What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: The Era of the Three Kingdoms

Postby edbeard on Thu May 22, 2008 4:24 pm

The mini-maps works for me. Except for the Wei area. The 1s just don't look right inside those small areas. Maybe increase the size of the mini-map so they fit in better. Or, maybe decrease the font size or put them next to the area (though I think them being inside is better).

Could you make those rivers a little bit bigger? Obviously they're impassable but I'd like 'em to be bigger so they're more noticeable.

Did you mean for the bonus of South Wu to be 1? I don't think you did. 3 borders and 4 territories can attack it. East Wu seems worth more like 3 to me.

I'm hoping those arrows connecting Wu and Wei are temporary? Bridges seem like a better idea. I think the old one had bridges?
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Natewolfman on Thu May 22, 2008 4:26 pm

awesome! "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" is a great story, and a great anime, AND great video games :lol: I would love to see this map finish quick and play on it!

I do agree about the Wei bonus though, 1 dosnt seem right in comparison to the other 1's
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby edbeard on Thu May 22, 2008 4:30 pm

I disagree with you starting a new thread btw. Everyone else would get told not to do that and theirs would be merged into the old one.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby pepperonibread on Thu May 22, 2008 4:35 pm

Niice.
Some comments:
On the Wei inset map, one of the "1's" is black, or a really dark blue. Maybe you could make it a bit bluer. Also, above it, where it says "Wei", is that a capital J? I thought it might be because it looks similar to the uppercase J's on terit names.
I think some sweet curvature could make the arrow from Tian Shu to Yong fit a lot better with the rest of the map. You could make some cool brown bridges over the river as well, though I know you may have just left those alone for now.
One more thing, maybe scoot the Shu inset map over a bit, to center it better.
Love the textures, bevel, and colors. Excellent... =D>
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby gimil on Thu May 22, 2008 4:44 pm

edbeard wrote:I disagree with you starting a new thread btw. Everyone else would get told not to do that and theirs would be merged into the old one.

Generally since the introduction of the stamps and the new support rules needed to make it to final forge I feel its better to start fresh since it makes everything easier to follow. I dont do anything for myself that I wouldnt do for others. If andy has a problem with me starting a new thread then im more than happy to have it merged :)

This is my me following my own opinion and the way I would conduct myself if someone wanted to start a new thread for the same reasons as I did.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby seamusk on Thu May 22, 2008 5:25 pm

gimil - i don't see support bonuses. am i missing something? The newest draft is looking very nice and the sub-continent override bonus is cool.
Lieutenant seamusk

Postby Kaplowitz on Thu May 22, 2008 8:45 pm

1) i think the rivers should be thicker, its pretty hard to make out the blue in some areas-- and i think it would just look better
2) Those areas really stand out and are ugly IMO.
3) the border in Being Ping Port is kind of hard to see, this is a very minor problem
4) I really dont want you to have to use army circles...but they might be needed. Maybe you should experiment with army circles that could fit the theme
5)The text looks cool, but is hard to read. I think the font is ok, but the light colors are hard to read in some places.
6)Are there going to be subcontinent names?

A)The game-play is great, i look forward to playing this one.
B)I love the simple, but awesome gfx. The mountains are great.
C)Its a pretty popular subject, but i have never heard of it. Either way, it still looks interesting to play, and is recognizably China.
4)again the gfx are awesome ;)

Its lookin' good gimil!
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby rocky mountain on Thu May 22, 2008 8:49 pm

sorry for threadjacking, but i had a quick question: gimil, why do you no longer have a blue name?

by the way, i think the names are too blended into the background.
best: place 2349; points 1617; GP 216; GW 102(47%); Lieutenant
Sergeant 1st Class rocky mountain

Postby TaCktiX on Thu May 22, 2008 11:01 pm

edbeard wrote:I disagree with you starting a new thread btw. Everyone else would get told not to do that and theirs would be merged into the old one.

Another point to consider, in addition to gimil's own: the Stats on the map would be really really screwed up. Starting a new thread is the best way to resurrect an old map, Stats-wise.

My concerns have mostly been stated by others (rivers too narrow, Being Ping Port almost invisible, text/minimap sizing concerns), so I'll just say "go with that" and wait for the next update.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby gimil on Fri May 23, 2008 11:26 am

New bridges, New arrow over the mountains and a bunch of other tweeks people requested.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri May 23, 2008 11:33 am

I don't like the new bridges - they look like planks just dropped on the rivers. The arrow is also kind of mediocre. Is that a one-way attack? If so, is there any particular reason for that? I think it would be better as a two-way attack with a gap in the mountains to show the border, like between Wuling and Pa-Tung/Fou-Ling.

Speaking of mountains, I don't really care for these either. They look very cartoony.

The ocean is kind of bland right now too. Could you make it a bit darker colored, and maybe make the texture a bit stronger?

Lastly, I think the dark part of Wei is too easy to hold. You can't make the bonus any lower, and I'm guessing that adding more territories to the region would make it historically inaccurate, but could you add an attack line from Being Ping Port to Ben Hai? I feel that would make the gameplay better.

On a more positive note, I love the colors and layout of the map.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby gimil on Fri May 23, 2008 11:52 am

ZeakCytho wrote:I don't like the new bridges - they look like planks just dropped on the rivers. The arrow is also kind of mediocre. Is that a one-way attack? If so, is there any particular reason for that? I think it would be better as a two-way attack with a gap in the mountains to show the border, like between Wuling and Pa-Tung/Fou-Ling.

I dont much like them either. So Ill change them. Its a one way attack to try and reduce the potential strenght of whoever holds wei. This means that to protect your borders (assuming you own the full kingdom) you need to put troops for defence on a terriroy that cannot attack next turn.
Speaking of mountains, I don't really care for these either. They look very cartoony.

I think the mountains are a matter of taste. We'll see what others think.

The ocean is kind of bland right now too. Could you make it a bit darker colored, and maybe make the texture a bit stronger?

I disagree, I think the problem is there a large spot of dead space on the sea near the north. Im going to think of some way to fill it.

Lastly, I think the dark part of Wei is too easy to hold. You can't make the bonus any lower, and I'm guessing that adding more territories to the region would make it historically inaccurate, but could you add an attack line from Being Ping Port to Ben Hai? I feel that would make the gameplay better.

Will do.

On a more positive note, I love the colors and layout of the map.

Cheers ;)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby lozzini on Fri May 23, 2008 11:57 am

i really like this map but do agree that the pne way attack and bridges look quite bad... and the ocean ether needs to be covered over a bit to the north or less bland, i think the mountains look good though
Top Rank: Captain
Top Score: 1835
Top Pos: 1707
Nothing ventured... nothing gained
Sergeant 1st Class lozzini

Postby sam_levi_11 on Fri May 23, 2008 12:53 pm

Chiao should be nanman.

you should split yue sui into two and have that cont split into two somehow.
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby TaCktiX on Fri May 23, 2008 3:42 pm

Bridges look like planks, as Zeak said. Mountains could be better, I would go after snow-capped ones instead of the earth-tone you've got right now. I would suggest darkening the Being Ping Port border even more, as it's still hard to see against that navy blue. Northern Wu's territory names blur out with the color a bit too much, as do Northern Shu's. Bonuses look pretty good right now.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby rocky mountain on Fri May 23, 2008 5:29 pm

the names are hard to see, especially on the green. could you make them darker?
best: place 2349; points 1617; GP 216; GW 102(47%); Lieutenant
Sergeant 1st Class rocky mountain

Postby edbeard on Fri May 23, 2008 5:52 pm

TaCktiX wrote:Bonuses look pretty good right now.

If you're not including the Wu territories then I'd agree...

East Wu and West Wu are worth the same at the moment when they are obviously very different in terms of ease to hold.

West Wu requires holding all 5 of the territories which can be attacked from 6 territories from three different continents.

East Wu requires holding 3 out of 6 territories and can be attacked from 4 territories from two continents.

I'm not sure I'd make East Wu worth the same as South Wu and you certainly can't make South Wu worth the same as South Shu.

Perhaps remove the Yu'Lin to Guiyang border and make South Wu worth 2. Then East Wu being 3 armies and West Wu being 5 armies isn't that bad.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby gimil on Sun May 25, 2008 10:56 am

New bridges and mountains.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: The Era of the Three Kingdoms - Page 2

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun May 25, 2008 11:04 am

I like the new bridges an mts, they look much better, but they are very transparent, and you can see the river beneath them.
Its also very hard to read specifically "Bei Ping West".
Does Fou-Ling border Wuling?
The bonuses are pretty high too. Wei has only 3 places to defend, but a bonus of 10. Shu has 4/3 places to defend and gives a bonus 8.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun May 25, 2008 11:29 am

I like the new mountains, but not the bridges. The attack line from Being Ping Port to Ben Hai isn't very clear. I think it should extent all the way to the territory border so there's no ambiguity.

I like the addition of the characters in the northern ocean to fill the dead space, but I still think the water should be a darker color.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby gimil on Sun May 25, 2008 11:58 am

This any better boys?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby pepperonibread on Sun May 25, 2008 12:23 pm

A curvy path may be the best thing to do for that sea route.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Unit_2 on Sun May 25, 2008 12:29 pm

Wei was the biggest at the time, why is Wu bigger?
Private 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby seamusk on Sun May 25, 2008 12:40 pm

Agree that the sea line needs to be clearer. I wasn't sure if it was attack line when I saw it. I thought you were creating a sea territory.
Lieutenant seamusk

Next

Return to Recycling Box