Conquer Club

Periodic Table of the Elements Map, UPDATE p17

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

How do you like the map? (see latest update)

Total votes : 0

Periodic Table of the Elements Map, UPDATE p17

Postby sfhbballnut on Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:06 pm

see page 16 for latest image
Last edited by sfhbballnut on Fri May 18, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:07 pm

yes: all elements (including the ones that are not named [unnoquium and others]
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby Enigma on Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:18 pm

hm, could b interesting... ud have to make a bunch of square territories work tho.
Do you need an excuse to have a war? I mean, who for? Can't you just say "You got lots of cash and land, but I've got a big sword, so divy up right now, chop chop."
Terry Pratchet
Lieutenant Enigma

Postby sfhbballnut on Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:20 pm

There are plenty of chemical properties I can throw in there as boundries and connections :D :)
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby Enigma on Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:31 pm

omg, i can see that getting really complicated :lol: ...unfortunatly i dont remember enough chemistry to give an xample :oops: :P
Do you need an excuse to have a war? I mean, who for? Can't you just say "You got lots of cash and land, but I've got a big sword, so divy up right now, chop chop."
Terry Pratchet
Lieutenant Enigma

Postby cowshrptrn on Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:04 pm

Well, you can have the ladder as a boundarie, non-metals as a continent, noble gases as a continent, halogens as a continent, rare-earth metals as a continent. Going chemically would mean a lot of vertical, parallel territories, but im prety sure you coudl find ways around it.

EDIT: found a good graphic for rare-earth metals, alkalines etc. (tho they kinda messed up on basics like metalloids...)

Private cowshrptrn

Postby sfhbballnut on Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:29 pm

thanks for the pic, I've tried working with that one but editing the colors is really tough when paint is all I've got. On almost all my images the lines are too fuzy and sections won't take the color. does anybody know a way around this? Do I just need better image editing capabilities?
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby cowshrptrn on Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:31 pm

yes: Don't use paint. Its insanely difficult to make a decent looking map with it. Download gimp, or inkscape they're free and its definately a step up form paint. They take a little bit to get used to, but the outcome is a LOT cleaner. plus paint sucks at compressing bitmaps, its always comes out fuzzy.

btw: have you taken chemistry in school yet? if not, cross reference that periodic table with most others ones you find off of google images, since a quick glance at it tells me its not all that great, except for labeling alkali metals, halogens etc.
Private cowshrptrn

Postby Enigma on Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:41 pm

*agrees* i just downloaded both gimp and inkscape, and they are amazing.
Terry Pratchet
Lieutenant Enigma

Postby sfhbballnut on Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:43 pm

As far as continents I was thinking Alkali/Alkali earth metals with a bunch of boundries because they are so reactive, a few sections of transition metals with various distictions, the other metals section, the nonmetals section, possibly the halogen section, Definatly the noble gases with only a couple of boundries, the unnamed section a kind of running connection to even things out, and the lanthanoids and actinoids as a seperate thig connecting only to the spots the would connect if pl;aced on the periodic table. Helium and Hydrogen will likly be connected, and I may consider putting one way attacks from the noble gases, and possibly a hydrogen attacking feature, depending on how playability is going when I get the map up. I am wide open to suggestions on ideas ad image editing. let me hear from you :D :)

thanks, I hadn't tried gimp yet and yes I am taking chemistry
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby sfhbballnut on Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:20 pm

Thanks a lot, gimp is great, I should be able to get a rough idea up in a week or so!! :D :)
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby onbekende on Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:09 pm

If you want any chemical help, you may always ask.

I hope this gets worked out
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby cowshrptrn on Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:26 pm

btw, we definately could have certain combos like if you own allthe elements in the carboxyl group, or own all the elements in ammonia you get +1 or something
Private cowshrptrn

Postby happysadfun on Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:19 pm

The ones that just give #s as Names? They have names now.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby cowshrptrn on Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:16 pm

yeah, go to google images and look for a periodic table. The interactive ones will usually give you the full name.

http://www.webelements.com/ will give you full names, and has the elements until 118[/url]

edit: the last few, the "u" ones, probably have been renamed after labs that have successfully synthesized them or something liekt hat so dont' go crazy trying to get the right names
Private cowshrptrn

Postby onbekende on Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:39 pm

Maybe stop at number 114, or some element that only is there for more then 1 sec
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby cowshrptrn on Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:47 pm

While 114 wouldn't be too bad, i'd rather try sticking in 2 non-elemental territories so you end up with 120 territories and no neutral territories when you play with 5 ppl.
Private cowshrptrn

Postby sfhbballnut on Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:52 pm

that's what I was shooting for. its pretty massive in territory number, but it should be interesting :D :)
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby cowshrptrn on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:35 pm

whats with the sudden rise of massive maps all ofa sudden? World 2.0 has a lot of countries too, i think its 100+
Private cowshrptrn

Postby haha on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:45 pm

i had to memorize the peodic table last week
Colonel haha

Postby sfhbballnut on Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:15 am

That's basically worthless. Even chemists always have a periodic table handy, why clog your head with information that will always be right in front of you?
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby mr. incrediball on Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:02 am

you need some oversea (cause i can't think of another word for it :lol: ) connection from the transition metals to the alkili earth ones
darvlay wrote:Get over it, people. It's just a crazy lookin' bear ejaculating into the waiting maw of an eager fox. Nothing more.
Cook mr. incrediball

Postby Marvaddin on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:22 am

this idea is pure shit, in my opinion. The aspect would remember the "great" crossword map, the less played one in CC, if Im correct. And the playability probably wouldnt be good, too... we would need barriers, and anything you can put would sound strange. So, I think there is no use, unless we get a new feature here. More countries? No, thanks, since world 2.0 has it already. What more are you thinking about?
Major Marvaddin

Postby cowshrptrn on Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:36 pm

Marvaddin wrote:this idea is pure shit, in my opinion. The aspect would remember the "great" crossword map, the less played one in CC, if Im correct. And the playability probably wouldnt be good, too... we would need barriers, and anything you can put would sound strange. So, I think there is no use, unless we get a new feature here. More countries? No, thanks, since world 2.0 has it already. What more are you thinking about?

this has been said about EVERY map, look at darts, it started out with tons of opposition, its shaping up to be a really good map. We definately shoudl give this map some attention.
Private cowshrptrn

Postby sfhbballnut on Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:59 pm

Thank you for your support. the boundries are going to be based purly on its playability, I'm already working with some of my friends on trying out ideas for continents and boundries. And as far as why, its another layout for a larger map and it is completly unique in its image. Why does a map need to be of a place? Why can't it be a thing? I'm not going to make a map that I wouldn't play so this is going to be good. :D :)
Corporal sfhbballnut

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas