Conquer Club

Periodic Table of the Elements Map, UPDATE p17

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

How do you like the map? (see latest update)

Total votes : 0

Postby sfhbballnut on Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:28 pm

We want it to look like trash!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're working on layout. When we get that straight we'll make it look good.
btw, I don't have a choice, but to use paint, so for development its going to be done in paint, once I get it togther wca is goig to make it look good.
Last edited by sfhbballnut on Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby sfhbballnut on Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:33 pm

give me your reasoning behind wanting me to drop it, yes it looks bad and its a work in progress as far as continents and borders, but what is the other reasoning behind the bashing?
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:26 pm

sfh is getting the basics done (continents, countries, boundaries, etc) with MS paint. when he is done with that, i am going to use his image as a guide (not as the actual picture) and i am going to make it look really good with Corel Painter Essentials 2.

and guys, cowshrptrn's picture is not going to be used. if you read his posts, he said that was just his idea for teh continent layout, not for the map. the final image will not be that badly done. you guys need to remember that we are doing this in two parts:

1. playability (continents, borders, etc)
the map we use to plan playability is going to be bad, because we don't need to have it look much like the final map, since it is just for planning. when you are looking at one of our playability maps, ignore how crappy it looks and just take it from a gameplay point of view (strategy, continent design).

2. Final map: the final map will look good. it will be the one that is finally submitted as a map. the playability map is just going to be a guide so we can plan out how the final map will look.

from now on, sfh and I will write either PLAYABILITY or FINAL at the top of our images. if it says PLAYABILITY, you can comment on the layout of the continents and boundries, not the look of it. If it says FINAL, it will be the map that i am working on making look good so we can submit it. for the final map, you can comment on how it looks and how to make it look better (not how it plays).
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:04 pm

Marvaddin wrote:
cowshrptrn wrote:Image

^^ >>>>> Trash can

I dont want to be rude, but again I will suggest: please drop the idea, you guys are miraculously making it worse each update.

For now, I will no more comment, at least until I see something its worthy to comment.

Just to mention: I was also talking about playability, and specially when I said its getting worse each update.
Major Marvaddin

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:50 pm

Marvaddin wrote:
Marvaddin wrote:

^^ >>>>> Trash can

I dont want to be rude, but again I will suggest: please drop the idea, you guys are miraculously making it worse each update.

For now, I will no more comment, at least until I see something its worthy to comment.

Just to mention: I was also talking about playability, and specially when I said its getting worse each update.

and we arent using that picture. he is not working on this map with us. that was the way he wanted the map to be, not the way it will be when it is done. instead of constantly telling us that this map is bad, could you tell us why it is bad so we can make it better?

Postby sfhbballnut on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:00 pm

Playability Update
I've added several more borders and altered the continents, I think this one is a lot more play able, if I am seriously misguided let me know, but I hhave no intentions of stopping work on this :D :)

Hey updated this, clearer borders, fixed the large continent problem
Last edited by sfhbballnut on Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby sfhbballnut on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:19 pm

Alkali Metals 7 territories 3 borders
Alkali Earth Metals 6 territories 4 borders
First Transition Metals 11 territories 5 borders
Second Transition Metals 10 territories 6 borders
Third Transition Metals (light yellow) 9 territories 5 borders
Fourth Transition Metals (light green) 8 territories 5 borders
Other Metals (light purple) 7 territories 4 borders
Metalloids, for lack of a better name at present(orange) 9 territories 6 borders
Non Metals (red brown) 7 territories 3 borders
Unnamed (pink) 7 territories 4 borders
The right half is a little rough and Iā€™m trying to find a solution suggestions?
Noble Gases 7 territories 1-2 boundaries
First Lanthanide Series and Actinide Series 14 territories 3 borders
Second Lanthanide Series and Actinide Series 16 territories 3 border
Are these last to a bit large? Need to be broken up more?
Also considering changing the farthest right orange territory to the red-brown
What do you think? Where can it be better?
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:25 pm

instead of having borders just around continents, make some through the continents.

Postby cowshrptrn on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:49 pm

The lanthanide/actinoid series need to be more smaller continents, or need some more borders. It could be a tele-kind of continent, and be worth a lot. We coudl ahve it border other continents as kind of a gateway.
Private cowshrptrn

Postby campsoup1988 on Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:54 pm

Very intreasting board for geeks like me! I would like to see it done including the Unkowns!
No Comments...Wait, That's a Comment

Everyone is crazy...To some extent
Cadet campsoup1988

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:56 pm

the borders are just in there to make it more playable. with the continents, we are trying to have some resembelance to the actual sections of the periodic table (except for the really big ones). if you are good at chemistry, do you know a way we could divide up the transition metals and the lanthanide/actinoid elements in a way that makes sense chemically? (sfh and i are learning chemistry in high school right now, so we dont know everything)

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:13 pm

i am going to start adding some color to the final map soon, so this is your last chance to complain about how the continents (not the borders) are set up.

Postby Hoff on Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:31 pm

Make the borders more identifiable. If you concentrate you can see the borders now, but it should be easily viewed without concentration.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby Hoff on Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:32 pm

...and by borders I am talking about the bold black lines you've added.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby cowshrptrn on Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:01 pm

hey, hoff

I tinhk we coudl apply your idea in another thread about having the continentless map with a bonus per territory into this map, since the borders seem pretty crazy for a lot of it.
Private cowshrptrn

Postby sfhbballnut on Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:57 pm

wca, be patient, we'll still have to change the good looking one, we've got the basic stuff down, now leave it for a couple of days, then we'll put up the good looking one. I"m still contimplating some stuff that needs fixing
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby sfhbballnut on Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:24 pm

updated the current image, fixed continents more borders. let me know what you think
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby Marvaddin on Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:02 pm

I HATE the idea, I shouldnt give any tip, but...

Again, dont you realize how ridiculous is remove Ac and La from the main table? Can you show me a table like that? And add all those lines for what? Leave Ac and La were they used to be, and just connect Ac to Th. And add more connections between the main table and both series, because I already saw bottlenecks in maps, but nothing like this one.

And you can think about reduce some borders. Some areas have too many. How about something different, like continents with territories not directly connected or something? This way its just, JUST a boring blocky map... ah, forgot, boring blocky large map. Use creativity, create something new. Maybe supercontinents for non-metals, transition metals, etc... lets have something new. And H should belong to any area. but maybe it could have a "bridge" to O, or N, huh?

Only to mention, your continents design seems totally arbitrary: you have real chemical groups, like noble gases, and alkali, but is that light green area anything real?

And dont say me its my last chance to complain about anything. Looks like you forget there is a final forge.
Major Marvaddin

Postby sfhbballnut on Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:09 pm

we never said anything about that, this is still wide open. we're trying to get a basic layout, then we'll switch to the actual version and edit that, thanks for the advice. It's good to get some constructive help. :D :)
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby DublinDoogey on Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:10 pm

Marv, maybe Periodic Tables are different in Brazil, but in the States they're almost always shown with the series removed. I don't say this to be USA-centric, but following that pattern also works well for creating the map because it allows for a more "classic rectangular" shape, which I've learned, and believe that maps should shoot for.
Private DublinDoogey

Postby sfhbballnut on Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:15 pm

thanks Dublin, and the light green is just a zone of the transition metals, I though we were trying to get rid of the massive continents, I was in favor of them at the start. I like the Hydrogen being seperate and connections to the main can be dealt with, again, thanks for the input
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby Marvaddin on Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:20 pm

This is what Im talking about. Series are separated, but not Ac and La.
Major Marvaddin

Postby sfhbballnut on Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:23 pm

you're right, that looks better and it'll allow us to put connections between the two
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby cowshrptrn on Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:45 pm

I think the old weay was more user friendly in the context of conquer club though. If we cleaned up the lines it woudl look a lot nicer, plus its easier to put the connection back into the main periodic table again.
Private cowshrptrn

Postby wcaclimbing on Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:38 pm

im gonna fix the first map i put up for final. those connecting lines were just there until i had a better idea. i know what i will do, though.

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas