Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Second Punic War

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - Second Punic War

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:43 pm

Version 1.11 - Single colour territory font, new info in the bonus and map info section and 8 thicker army circles

Version 1.10 A

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll127/Ruben_Cassar/SecundumBellumPunicum110.jpg

Version 1.10 B

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll127/Ruben_Cassar/SecundumBellumPunicum110b.jpg

Version 1.10 C

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll127/Ruben_Cassar/SecundumBellumPunicum110c.jpg

Version 1.10 - Added bonuses and map information section, toned down colour of red background

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll127/Ruben_Cassar/SecundumBellumPunicum110.jpg

Version1.9

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll127/Ruben_Cassar/SecundumBellumPunicum19.jpg

The Punic Wars Maps

This map will be part of what I hope to be a three part series. Each one of them will depict the three Punic Wars fought between Rome and Carthage. I chose to start with the Second Punic War since it is the most interesting of them all. I also plan to make two versions of each map. One version of the maps will be utilising a conquest/objective gameplay while the other will be using a classic gameplay.

Historical Background To The Map

The seeds of war for the Second Punic War were sown at the end of the First Punic War. The territorial losses suffered by the Carthaginians at the hand of the Romans were still an open wound and the Carthaginians yearned for revenge. The Mediterranean was too small for these two super powers of their time. The Second Punic War marks the decisive encounter between the Mediterranean powers. Rome emerged victorious at the end of the 16-year-long conflict and Carthage was humbled to a second humiliating loss which would never give her any chance of rebuilding her former glory. The genius of the Carthaginian general, Hannibal Barca did not suffice to overpower the might of the Roman Republic. Ultimately he found his match in the Roman general, Publius Cornelius Scipio who faced him in the last decisive battle of the war at Zama. From that day onwards the Roman general was known as Scipio Africanus.

Roma: Secundum Bellum Punicum (218-202 A.C.): Map Features

Style: Conquest/Objective Gameplay

Territories: 51

Gameplay: Players start in up to 8 selected territories scattered across the map. The number of players can range from 2-8. The rest of the territories will be neutral and will have to be conquered by each player. The 8 starting territories are Numantia, Derdosa, Ticinus, Illyria, Illyrian Pirates, Arae Philaenorum, Cirta and Numidia.

Initial forces: Each player starts with 5 units per territory occupied which varies according to the number of players.

Bonuses:
- Roma and Carthago: +8, start with 20 neutral units
(I have proposed a new feature in the XML section that allows what I call ā€œincrementing neutralsā€. The idea is that an additional unit is added to Roma and Carthago every 2 turns, making the cities more difficult to conquer as more turns are taken. I do not know if this new concept will ever be implemented at this stage.)
- P. Cornelius Scipio and Hannibal Barca: +5, start with 14 neutral units
- Roman (red) and Carthaginian (purple) territories: +1, start with 4 neutral units
- Roman Quinquereme: +2, 5 neutral units
- Carthaginian Trireme: +3, 6 neutral units
- Roman Legion: +3, 6 neutral units
- Carthaginian Elephants: +2, 5 neutral units
- Other Neutral Territories: +1 for each 2 territories held, start with 4 neutral units

Routes: Land and Sea routes link territories to each other in a two-way direction
Last edited by Ruben Cassar on Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Re: Roma: Secundum Bellum Punicum (218-202 A.C.)

Postby Qwert on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:58 pm

You mean B.C.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:03 pm

qwert wrote:You mean B.C.

A.C. is in Latin. A stands for "ante" or before in English.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Qwert on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:07 pm

A.C. is in Latin. A stands for "ante" or before in English.

Oh,ok. aim mix A.C. with A.D.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Kaplowitz on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:34 pm

I learned about this in Global this year...but all i remember is that Hannibal used Elephants...
This should make a cool map, i cant wait to see how it ends up!

I love the gfx, the mts are awesome!
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby InkL0sed on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:48 pm

Are you seriously gonna do the Third Punic War? Why don't you just do the razing of Carthage or something instead...
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby dittoeevee8888 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:13 pm

What are the 2-8 selected territories that people might start on?
Sergeant 1st Class dittoeevee8888

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:39 pm

Ruben, I am excited you are attempting another map with more than a handful of territories. :D ;) Good luck,

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:18 am

dittoeevee8888 wrote:What are the 2-8 selected territories that people might start on?

Yes, you're right. I forgot to mention them.

They are Numantia, Derdosa, Ticinus, Illyria, Illyrian Pirates, Arae Philaenorum, Cirta and Numidia.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:19 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Ruben, I am excited you are attempting another map with more than a handful of territories. :D ;) Good luck,

--Andy

Hehe.

It's hard to put in more territories with the current map size restrictions! :lol:
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Re: ROMA: Secundum Bellum Punicum (218-202 A.C.)

Postby t-o-m on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:24 pm

im not too keen on the sea

the filters you put on it look too textured than smooth, like the grain filter, and the one that puts the textured affect on th edges.
hmm...maybe something a little smoother would work, or maybe its just me that thinks this?
Major t-o-m

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:24 pm

t-o-m wrote:im not too keen on the sea

the filters you put on it look too textured than smooth, like the grain filter, and the one that puts the textured affect on th edges.
hmm...maybe something a little smoother would work, or maybe its just me that thinks this?

Aaaargh Tom! What are you telling me? I love that sea! :(
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Kaplowitz on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:27 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:

Me2, but id love it more if you made it more green.

Postby t-o-m on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:28 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:

sorry lol :(
i suppose it could grow on me...

maybe a tone down would do the trick?
Major t-o-m

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:44 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:

But I look out of my window and I sea that blue sea not green. The Mediterranean is blue. I recognise the Mediterranean sea even in a movie. It's different from other seas. It's home. It's...well...it's the sea I learned to swim in! The sea where I caught a small squid (or was it a calamari?) and I just couldn't bear killing it so I released it again...ah happy memories. Hehe I'm in a strange mood today guys. Sorry! Seriously though...don't you think the Mediterranean is of a more blueish colour than a greenish one?
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Kaplowitz on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:45 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:

But I look out of my window and I sea that blue sea not green. The Mediterranean is blue. I recognise the Mediterranean sea even in a movie. It's different from other seas. It's home. It's...well...it's the sea I learned to swim in! The sea where I caught a small squid (or was it a calamari?) and I just couldn't bear killing it so I released it again...ah happy memories. Hehe I'm in a strange mood today guys. Sorry! Seriously though...don't you think the Mediterranean is of a more blueish colour than a greenish one?

I have never seen the Mediterranean Sea :| I have no clue
Your call

Postby dittoeevee8888 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:26 pm

I really hate the red on the top and bottom borders...it really stands out, and I dislike it. Proably toning it down? I don't really know.

Also, I can't really read the purple territory beside Hippo Regius and Cartenna. I think you should change all the purple background territories should have white text.

I have not seen the Mediterranean sea either...so I have no problem with the sea colour
Sergeant 1st Class dittoeevee8888

Postby ZeakCytho on Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:31 pm

Well, blue is the right color to use, but I don't like the shade of blue you've picked. I also don't like the texture on the sea very much...
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Qwert on Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:32 pm

I can give you mine sea from IMperium romanum,if you need(these will be interesting,same sea like some part of Ancient roma map series) ;)
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:35 pm

Now i understand why you create these map,its these because melita :lol: :mrgreen:
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:01 pm

dittoeevee8888 wrote:I really hate the red on the top and bottom borders...it really stands out, and I dislike it. Proably toning it down? I don't really know.

Also, I can't really read the purple territory beside Hippo Regius and Cartenna. I think you should change all the purple background territories should have white text.

I have not seen the Mediterranean sea either...so I have no problem with the sea colour

The red is supposed to be Roman territory and the purple Carthaginian.

That territory is Iol. It's a strange name. Not lol but Iol. :) Perhaps I will try to change all purple territories to white.

Edit: Ah just understood what you meant about the red parts. You meant the top and bottom segments. Hmm do other people dislike them? I could change the colour of course.
Last edited by Ruben Cassar on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:01 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:Well, blue is the right color to use, but I don't like the shade of blue you've picked. I also don't like the texture on the sea very much...

Hmm. I might try some other shades in future revisions and make a poll?
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby ZeakCytho on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:02 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:Well, blue is the right color to use, but I don't like the shade of blue you've picked. I also don't like the texture on the sea very much...

Hmm. I might try some other shades in future revisions and make a poll?

Sure thing. I look forward to seeing this map develop.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:05 pm

qwert wrote:I can give you mine sea from IMperium romanum,if you need(these will be interesting,same sea like some part of Ancient roma map series) ;)

No qwert that would be lame of me. Thanks for the offer though! ;)

qwert wrote:Now i understand why you create these map,its these because melita :lol: :mrgreen:

Ah qwert. You know me so well my friend! :p Melita was a very important strategic territory during the Punic Wars. The Maltese revolted against the Carthaginians to join Rome and Rome made them a civitas foederati as a sign of gratitude, in other words allies not conquered people. The Maltese even sent representatives to the Roman senate!

Anyway I have always wanted to make a map about the Punic Wars. It's got nothing to do with Melita. :)
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Qwert on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:16 pm

No qwert that would be lame of me. Thanks for the offer though!

But you get mine permision to use these sea,no coppyright issue with that ;)
well i spend 5 minutes to create some example(i have free 5 minutes).
you can reconsider these.its can be like-Rubben Qwert Ancient roman Map Series. :mrgreen:

Ah qwert. You know me so well my friend! :p Melita was a very important strategic territory during the Punic Wars. The Maltese revolted against the Carthaginians to join Rome and Rome made them a civitas foederati as a sign of gratitude, in other words allies not conquered people. The Maltese even sent representatives to the Roman senate!

Anyway I have always wanted to make a map about the Punic Wars. It's got nothing to do with Melita.

Sure,sure,melita its importan,because these,not because you from malta :lol:
Any way its interesting idea,but you need to give more ancient look of background and nonplayabile terittories.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Next

Return to Recycling Box