Conquer Club

Egypt: Nubia [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: NUBIAN EGYPT V12(P8) [I] - New Legend

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:23 am

cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Not been back in here for a while - but this map has come on a lot.
1 small nitpick "Well of Ramessess" -> "Well of Ramessess II" (Can you make the name consistent between the 2)?
C.

Please F5....Thanks C...small but necessary nitpick so i forgive you LOL ;) Ramesses is spelt in google several ways so i have chosen the Ramesses style....same as used in VOTK.

Actually I was more concerned with the II bit (I knew that I spelt it wrong!)

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby gimil on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:43 am

cairns bud im happy with the title area now. Nice one.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:49 am

yeti_c wrote:Actually I was more concerned with the II bit (I knew that I spelt it wrong!)
C.

Fixed...please F5

gimil wrote:cairns bud im happy with the title area now. Nice one.

Good Giml. thanks

* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:53 pm

Regarding the legend, it looks like "...for each Gold Mineheld." The mine and held seem to run together a little.

Is there a way to give more definition to the pedestal?

Other than those for now...I'm liking it.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:14 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Regarding the legend, it looks like "...for each Gold Mineheld." The mine and held seem to run together a little.
Is there a way to give more definition to the pedestal?
Other than those for now...I'm liking it.
--Andy

Thanks Andy for the comments. I have fixed that aspect in the map above, please F5 to see the changes.
Private cairnswk

Postby bryguy on Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:21 am

hey cairns. Sorry I havent made it in here for a while, been busy.

1) I like the bacground look, it fits the map
2) I like how you changed the goldmines to 'nobo-inserthere', but could u maybe keep it consistent with all of them (if possible)? cause some are: Nobo-xamsa, while others are
Nobo
-tala

so maybe see if u could make them all like
Nobo
-tala

instead of some like that and others like Nobo-xamsa?
3) to me the desert roads on the map and in the legend dont seem to be the same, could u try to make them look more alike?
4) the pillar holding up the statue seems less 3dish than the rest of the map/legend. COuld u try to make it more 3Dish?
5) i cant read nobo-t_____, next to nobo-tamanya and below nobo-ashara, which by the way the a in ashara seems to go slightly off the map

great work otherwise cairns!
Corporal bryguy

Re: NUBIAN EGYPT V13

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:00 am

bryguy wrote:hey cairns. Sorry I havent made it in here for a while, been busy.
1) I like the bacground look, it fits the map
2) I like how you changed the goldmines to 'nobo-inserthere', but could u maybe keep it consistent with all of them (if possible)? cause some are: Nobo-xamsa, while others are
Nobo
-tala

so maybe see if u could make them all like
Nobo
-tala

instead of some like that and others like Nobo-xamsa?

in some instances, space limits the ability to have them all the same. I think this is a pretty good compromise on names that are somewhat long winded.

3) to me the desert roads on the map and in the legend dont seem to be the same, could u try to make them look more alike?

Fixed. the legend mpa is now a perfect reduced copy of the main map.

4) the pillar holding up the statue seems less 3dish than the rest of the map/legend. COuld u try to make it more 3Dish?

There are two issues happening here. The pyramids have a bevel to achieve their 3d look while the columns have a bar affect. Because of the rounding of the column shape they are going to be very different anyway.

5) i cant read nobo-t_____, next to nobo-tamanya and below nobo-ashara, which by the way the a in ashara seems to go slightly off the map

This should now be fixed.

Version 13 below.
Private cairnswk

Re: NUBIAN EGYPT V13(P9) [I] - Adjustments

Postby bryguy on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:14 am

thanks cairns :)

looking great, keep up the great work =D>
Corporal bryguy

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:39 pm

bryguy wrote:thanks cairns :)
looking great, keep up the great work =D>

Kewl. thanks bryguy :)
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:45 am

Could you please give the top legends bar a drop shadow like everything else? It looks left out :(
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:15 pm

gimil wrote:Could you please give the top legends bar a drop shadow like everything else? It looks left out :(

Is this better...it's only a small drop shadow but if there was light shining though the same way as at the bottom pieces, there would probably be no shadow on the top.

Private cairnswk

Re: NUBIAN EGYPT V13(P9) [I] - Large and Small

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:18 pm

cairnswk wrote:
gimil wrote:Could you please give the top legends bar a drop shadow like everything else? It looks left out :(

Is this better...it's only a small drop shadow but if there was light shining though the same way as at the bottom pieces, there would probably be no shadow on the top.

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:38 pm

The title's drop shadow light source is from the top left...the rest of the map's is from the top right.

I reiterate what I've said about Taharqa's pillar before again: make it a light base with darker design-things.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:09 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:The title's drop shadow light source is from the top left...the rest of the map's is from the top right.

granted, yes. but unless i pull the title bar in from the edge on the left, then one won't see any shadow at all, and i don't want to change the shadow of the bottom section.

I reiterate what I've said about Taharqa's pillar before again: make it a light base with darker design-things.

i don't beleive this will enhance the map any. i would prefer it to remain a dark pillar in line with the darkness of the bust above it.
Thanks Zeak. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:21 pm

cairnswk wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:The title's drop shadow light source is from the top left...the rest of the map's is from the top right.

granted, yes. but unless i pull the title bar in from the edge on the left, then one won't see any shadow at all, and i don't want to change the shadow of the bottom section.

Why would you need to move the title at all? If you change the angle of the drop shadow, the shadow is still visible on the bottom. You'd just need to illuminate the right side of all the bevels instead of the left. I guess it's okay as is, but I think it would look better if you made the lighting consistent.

cairnswk wrote:

i don't beleive this will enhance the map any. i would prefer it to remain a dark pillar in line with the darkness of the bust above it.

Fiiiiiiine. Could you at least increase the opacity of the pillar so you can't see the desert texture behind it, then?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:27 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:Fiiiiiiine.

Mmmmm. i wonder what that one is supposed to mean??
Private cairnswk

Postby ZeakCytho on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:02 am

cairnswk wrote:

Means I disagree but defer to your judgment ;)
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:13 am

ZeakCytho wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Why would you need to move the title at all? If you change the angle of the drop shadow, the shadow is still visible on the bottom. You'd just need to illuminate the right side of all the bevels instead of the left. I guess it's okay as is, but I think it would look better if you made the lighting consistent.

cairnswk wrote:

Fiiiiiiine. Could you at least increase the opacity of the pillar so you can't see the desert texture behind it, then?

OK below is V13 again.
All light is from the top-right now so that all shadows are the same.
The pillar is truly not a prob, since the background is sand texture and the pillar is sandstone...and there is definitely no transparency there. ;)

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:16 am

ZeakCytho wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Means I disagree but defer to your judgment ;)

Oh good!
Private cairnswk

Postby Blitzaholic on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:20 am

great idea, wish it had a few more territories though, but looks kool
General Blitzaholic

Postby oaktown on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:48 am

hey cairns... I'm coming back to this map having not had time to look at it for a while, and my initial reaction is that I like where it is going visually.

But as I try to work out how it plays, it's not coming to me as quickly as the previous Egypt maps. Here's what I get from the legends, as if this is my first time sitting down to play:
• dows allow attacks across rivers, though I think you've said that more clearly in the previous maps
• cataracts, um, don't really do anything. You can't cross there, so they're really just markers for where the regions begin and end.
• there are four regions, which are color-coded. One is a one-territory region which gives a +1... hmm...
• Nobo-wa is geographically in a region, but isn't actually a part of the bonus because it is a different color.
• roads also connect some territories, though I'd like to see the roads stand out a bit more prominently.
• There are 12 gold mines. If you hold at least 7 you get a bonus of +1 per mine that you hold. Somehow this can be made more clear.

Gold mine language comment: 4 start neutral, 8 start with "1 player each" -this sounds awkward, as no territory can ever start with more than one player.

You probably mention it somewhere in the thread, but it's not in the first post so rather than troll the entire topic I'll just ask... how are you going to code the starts? Is anything other than the four gold mines going to start neutral? The +1 single territories? And the other eight gold mines - are they going to be open starts which means somebody could start with four or five?

Well of Ramses: auto deploy or straight bonus? I haven't read anything to suggest it is auto-deploy, but I thought I'd double-check. :)
Captain oaktown

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:12 am

oaktown wrote:hey cairns... I'm coming back to this map having not had time to look at it for a while, and my initial reaction is that I like where it is going visually.

But as I try to work out how it plays, it's not coming to me as quickly as the previous Egypt maps. Here's what I get from the legends, as if this is my first time sitting down to play:
• dows allow attacks across rivers, though I think you've said that more clearly in the previous maps

yues but someone had an issue with the cataracts and thought they were crossings also, so that's why that is there in relation to the cataracts bit on the other side of the map.
• cataracts, um, don't really do anything. You can't cross there, so they're really just markers for where the regions begin and end.

That's correct and they are very important geographic features of the river in this region
• there are four regions, which are color-coded. One is a one-territory region which gives a +1... hmm...
yes.
• Nobo-wa is geographically in a region, but isn't actually a part of the bonus because it is a different color.
fixed with a different road now
• roads also connect some territories, though I'd like to see the roads stand out a bit more prominently.
someone previously called for them to not stand out so much, so....
• There are 12 gold mines. If you hold at least 7 you get a bonus of +1 per mine that you hold. Somehow this can be made more clear.
Please advise on how you consider this can be better worded.
Gold mine language comment: 4 start neutral, 8 start with "1 player each" -this sounds awkward, as no territory can ever start with more than one player.
Changed

You probably mention it somewhere in the thread, but it's not in the first post so rather than troll the entire topic I'll just ask... how are you going to code the starts? Is anything other than the four gold mines going to start neutral?
Can't you see the two white nuetral 3s on Well of Ramesses and Kurgus?
The +1 single territories?

Yes those ones
And the other eight gold mines - are they going to be open starts which means somebody could start with four or five?
fixed in the legend
Well of Ramses: auto deploy or straight bonus? I haven't read anything to suggest it is auto-deploy, but I thought I'd double-check. :)
fixed in legend.

Version 14.
Private cairnswk

Re: NUBIAN EGYPT V14(P10) [I] - Gameplay adjustments

Postby oaktown on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:43 am

ah, sorry, I looked right past the neutrals on the map.

Now that I've looked at the map more I can live with the roads as they are.

I think my problem with the legend text is that a "majority of 7" would be 4, so by saying you need a majority of seven territories that could be interpreted to mean you only have to hold four, which I admit doesn't make any sense given the map. Since what you are trying to say is that you need to hold seven or more territories to start receiving the bonus why not just say that...

"Hold seven or more Nobos and receive a bonus of one army per Nobo"
or
"Hold seven or more Nobos and receive one army per Nobo held"

Just checking - is it your intention for Nobo-tala to be able to attack Tanjur? This is the same problem that we had for a while on an earlier map, in that the road heads in the direction of one territory (Kurgus) suggesting that is the desire attack route, yet you could double back via the fork and hit the other. The other instances of roads forking are more clear, I guess because the direction of the road isn't as suggestive.
Captain oaktown

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:17 pm

oaktown wrote:ah, sorry, I looked right past the neutrals on the map.

Now that I've looked at the map more I can live with the roads as they are.

Kewl...i did darken them for you.

I think my problem with the legend text is that a "majority of 7" would be 4, so by saying you need a majority of seven territories that could be interpreted to mean you only have to hold four, which I admit doesn't make any sense given the map. Since what you are trying to say is that you need to hold seven or more territories to start receiving the bonus why not just say that...

"Hold seven or more Nobos and receive a bonus of one army per Nobo"
or
"Hold seven or more Nobos and receive one army per Nobo held"
OK,, fixed in V14 above, please f5

Just checking - is it your intention for Nobo-tala to be able to attack Tanjur?

Yes.

This is the same problem that we had for a while on an earlier map, in that the road heads in the direction of one territory (Kurgus) suggesting that is the desire attack route, yet you could double back via the fork and hit the other. The other instances of roads forking are more clear, I guess because the direction of the road isn't as suggestive.
Fixed. 3 separate roads now.

Version 14 Large and Small below. :) Thanks Oaktown.

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:26 pm

Does Nobo-Tala border Nobo-xamsa or Kurgus? The road kind of points at the border between the two...

Since you have room, maybe you could write out "Nobo = Gold Mine" as "A nobo is a gold mine." The equals sign looks a bit funny.

In the minimap, the words 1st and 3rd and their bonuses are a bit far apart. I know the color is the same, but I think it would look better if you moved them closer.

I like Taharqa's pillar now :D
Captain ZeakCytho

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas