Conquer Club

Forbidden City [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: (Classic) Forbidden City V13(P9) New title

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:06 pm

gimil wrote:Whats with the [classic] brackets cairns? The [] are reserved for official use you know that :geek:

I want to indicate the style of gameplay. I'll change it.

Version 14.
Changes:
1. metal texture given to the legend signs
2. hinges added to the signs
3. no-one noticed, but the Imperial Tea House has been removed as it created one extra tert in the count over 81.
4. Extra attack path given to Wu Chow to Wu Gate East, to even the graphics up in the region.

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by cairnswk on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: (Classic) Forbidden City V14(P9) New title

Postby gimil on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:08 pm

cheers
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: (Classic) Forbidden City V14(P9) New title

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:09 pm

gimil wrote:cheers

no worries. When are we gonna get an upload?
Private cairnswk

Re: (Classic) [I] Forbidden City V14(P9) - New title

Postby oaktown on Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:07 pm

Hey cairnswk, nice to see yet another map of yours working its way through.

The gameplay stamp for this map will be "licked" by iancanton.
Captain oaktown

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:51 am

oaktown wrote:Hey cairnswk, nice to see yet another map of yours working its way through.

The gameplay stamp for this map will be "licked" by iancanton.

Thanks oaktown
Private cairnswk

Postby yeti_c on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:25 am

Cairns' maps always astound me as to their level of change...

When your maps first come along - they always look OK - normally a bit congested (depending on the theme) - but as you work throught the process things get smoothed, finessed and glossed up so that even the most hectic of maps - becomes a lot easier to understand.

Great work so far (as ever)... just to point out... not sure you can really classify this as a "classic" gameplay... you've got more legend than Pearl Harbour?!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:49 am

Welcome (back) to the main foundry... How long since you were last here? I think we need the total in hrs/mins! :lol:

Anyway, here are my initial comments/observations, in no particular order:

1. U.States could be renamed America, thus preventing the need for the abbeviation; but that's up to you ;-)

2. Down the sides of the map you've got horizontal text (Fu) and vertical text (Imp. Kitchen / Li / Tsi). Either make Fu vertical to match, or make Li/Tsi horizontal, as they don't look like they need to be vertical.

3. The yellow Imperial Meridian is a different colour on the legend than on the map.

4. Around the edge, the legend says you have 'borders' coming from the emperors. Are these attack routes? If so, they are a little confusing; not helped by the little flower emblems. Take orange (Emp Pu Yi) as an example... It clearly appears to connect Song Jiooren, Sun Yat-sen and K'tang army, but does it also connect to Peasants, Li Zicheng and Imperial Army? Presumably it links to Japan too, but what about Russia, A-Hungary, Italy etc...?

5. You've already been reprimanded about the use of square brackets [ [-X ], I'm going to remind you about [bigimg] tags :roll:
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:51 am

yeti_c wrote:Cairns' maps always astound me as to their level of change...

When your maps first come along - they always look OK - normally a bit congested (depending on the theme) - but as you work throught the process things get smoothed, finessed and glossed up so that even the most hectic of maps - becomes a lot easier to understand.

Great work so far (as ever)... just to point out... not sure you can really classify this as a "classic" gameplay... you've got more legend than Pearl Harbour?!

C.

thanks C for that vote of confidence....it's been so quiet in here lately, nice to know that someone cares ;)
I'm calling it classic gameplay. While there is more legend than Pearl Harbor, there is not a bombardment or other feature in sight. It is simply borders bordering other terts, and that is Classic gameplay in my books. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:15 am

MrBenn wrote:Welcome (back) to the main foundry... How long since you were last here? I think we need the total in hrs/mins! :lol:

Anyway, here are my initial comments/observations, in no particular order:

1. U.States could be renamed America, thus preventing the need for the abbeviation; but that's up to you ;-)

Mr Benn, America has always implied more than the United States to me, like the whole continent (2) north and south. So U. States it is likely to stay, but i'll see what i can do to free it up.

2. Down the sides of the map you've got horizontal text (Fu) and vertical text (Imp. Kitchen / Li / Tsi). Either make Fu vertical to match, or make Li/Tsi horizontal, as they don't look like they need to be vertical.
Fu goes vertical.

3. The yellow Imperial Meridian is a different colour on the legend than on the map.
Fixed next version.

4. Around the edge, the legend says you have 'borders' coming from the emperors. Are these attack routes? If so, they are a little confusing; not helped by the little flower emblems. Take orange (Emp Pu Yi) as an example... It clearly appears to connect Song Jiooren, Sun Yat-sen and K'tang army, but does it also connect to Peasants, Li Zicheng and Imperial Army? Presumably it links to Japan too, but what about Russia, A-Hungary, Italy etc...?

If you follow that orange line, you'll see that K'tang Army borders Japan, Song Jiaoren, San Yet-sen, The Peasants, Li Zicheng, and the Imperial Army, and Pu Yi. It does not border Russia & Austria-Hungary.

5. You've already been reprimanded about the use of square brackets [ [-X ], I'm going to remind you about [bigimg] tags :roll:

Sorry if you have a small monitor (I assume from the comment), but on mine the small image doesn't need a [bigimg] tag. All you had to do was ask nicely. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby iancanton on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:45 pm

cairnswk wrote:
MrBenn wrote:1. U.States could be renamed America, thus preventing the need for the abbeviation; but that's up to you ;-)

Mr Benn, America has always implied more than the United States to me, like the whole continent (2) north and south. So U. States it is likely to stay, but i'll see what i can do to free it up.

aren't u missing the obvious shorter name: usa?
cairnswk wrote:
MrBenn wrote:A-Hungary

If you follow that orange line, you'll see that K'tang Army borders Japan, Song Jiaoren, San Yet-sen, The Peasants, Li Zicheng, and the Imperial Army, and Pu Yi. It does not border Russia & Austria-Hungary.

more abbreviated names! austria was the country in real charge of austro-hungarian foreign affairs, so i think austria is better than a-hungary. rather than k'tang, kmt is the universally-used abbreviation for kuomintang.

the colour of the stream looks less watery than the green-blue border surrounding the outer wall. other than that, the map colours are suitably atmospheric without jumping out of the page.

i'm not a fan of two-territory continents, of which this map has two. will one of the gardens start neutral, to prevent a 20%+ chance of someone receiving a +3 bonus from the drop in a 2-player game?

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: (Classic) [I] Forbidden City V15

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:42 am

iancanton wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
MrBenn wrote:1. U.States could be renamed America, thus preventing the need for the abbeviation; but that's up to you ;-)

aren't u missing the obvious shorter name: usa?
cairnswk wrote:
MrBenn wrote:A-Hungary

more abbreviated names! austria was the country in real charge of austro-hungarian foreign affairs, so i think austria is better than a-hungary. rather than k'tang, kmt is the universally-used abbreviation for kuomintang.

the colour of the stream looks less watery than the green-blue border surrounding the outer wall. other than that, the map colours are suitably atmospheric without jumping out of the page.

i'm not a fan of two-territory continents, of which this map has two. will one of the gardens start neutral, to prevent a 20%+ chance of someone receiving a +3 bonus from the drop in a 2-player game?

ian. :)

Should all be done Ian, thanks. :)
As for neutral starters, yes thanks for that suggestion, but i don't think i will bother to advertise it on the map...there is no room.
there are actually three regions - gardens, priests, and inner court all have 2 terts.

Still to do: tidy the lanterns

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: (Classic) [I] Forbidden City V15(P10) - Gameplay

Postby Androidz on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:51 am

The attack routes on the lanterns, people and countries is to hard for me to see. I just look like lines in colours with some odd dots on it.

I like the city tough nicely done:D
Private Androidz

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:01 pm

Androidz wrote:The attack routes on the lanterns, people and countries is to hard for me to see. I just look like lines in colours with some odd dots on it.

That's exactly what it is. Do you know of another way to show it.

Thanks. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:02 pm

Can someone check the possessive cases on these tert names please?
Private cairnswk

Postby Qwert on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:19 pm

Cairnswk,i dont understand how you easy change things,where is not right.
Austria is not same like Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.You say that these map present 1912-1913 years,right? Austria is wrong names for these country,so i hope that you change these,also i think that flag is wrong to.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Androidz on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:21 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Androidz wrote:The attack routes on the lanterns, people and countries is to hard for me to see. I just look like lines in colours with some odd dots on it.

Instead of useing fussy dots i would recommand Wires with arrowheads..or something like that. It would look more like lanterns if you use Wires wont it?:S well its probbably more ways to fix this i just said was i tought was a problem, and i didint mean to offend your map or anything.

np:D
Private Androidz

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:34 am

Androidz wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Instead of useing fussy dots i would recommand Wires with arrowheads..or something like that. It would look more like lanterns if you use Wires wont it?:S well its probbably more ways to fix this i just said was i tought was a problem, and i didint mean to offend your map or anything.

Androidz...no worries ytou didn't offend me, but we had already been over this attack routes and most people were happy with what has been done...or there was no indication to the contrary until you mentioned it. If you read back through the thread you'll see where it came from. Laterns hanging on wires would approriate in RL, but not on this map where players need to see where the borders are.
I was only after a suggestion that i thought you might have been able to provide that was better than existing.
:)
I don't know about arrowheads, i like to keep these for one-way or absolute two-way indicators on my maps.
If you think of something else, then don't hesitate to offer it. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:46 am

qwert wrote:Cairnswk,i dont understand how you easy change things,where is not right.
Austria is not same like Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.You say that these map present 1912-1913 years,right? Austria is wrong names for these country,so i hope that you change these,also i think that flag is wrong to.

Why is it not right Qwert.
Did you read what IanCanton wrote.

I wanted to have A-Hungary, Ian states that Austria was the major foreign affairs diplomat in that relationship.
If you have a name for that partnership, and it fits in that house, i will gladly put it there.

I could put "A-H Empire" if that is more suitable?

As for the flag, you could be correct, as it appears i have used the War Ensign of the dual monarchy, i should have probably used the Civil Ensign since these two countries were not officially at war but this was more of a foreign powers conflict with China.
I will adjust that next version. Thanks
Private cairnswk

Postby Androidz on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:42 am

cairnswk wrote:
Androidz wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Androidz...no worries ytou didn't offend me, but we had already been over this attack routes and most people were happy with what has been done...or there was no indication to the contrary until you mentioned it. If you read back through the thread you'll see where it came from. Laterns hanging on wires would approriate in RL, but not on this map where players need to see where the borders are.
I was only after a suggestion that i thought you might have been able to provide that was better than existing.
:)
I don't know about arrowheads, i like to keep these for one-way or absolute two-way indicators on my maps.
If you think of something else, then don't hesitate to offer it. :)

Ok i didint know people was happy about this. But what about instead of useing Colorlines with fuzzy dots. You have Blue Dot on the lanterns who can attack echoter, and green on another which can attack anohter or something like the Docksystem on Aor and Portal setup in other maps..? You can still use the lines but adding some colour system to which it attack would be good right? I Think it is theese fuzzy dots which is confusing to me...

Again great work on makeing this awsome map:D i wish you had time to do my maps:D

Also most of the names and legend writeing his a bit dim to me, its hard to see for they who dont got 100% good sight..and i dont know how it will go for the colourblind anyway maybe some darker letters or Silverish glow around them? Some of the names go over to other borders and some of them got - to bind them. Well i think thats a bit hard to fix.:D dont mind my commenting im just pricky:D
Private Androidz

Postby Qwert on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:08 am

well i belive that nobody will not be mad,if you give some 2-3px left and right to Austro-Hungarian house to get more space.
Here example
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:21 am

almost forget.Flags of Russia,Germany,Britain and Japan is wrong(you use specific flags,like Japanese is naval flag,not flag of empire)
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:35 am

qwert wrote:well i belive that nobody will not be mad,if you give some 2-3px left and right to Austro-Hungarian house to get more space.
Here example

Qwert, where you write hungary is for army digits - beside flag - all has to fit across the top of flag.
Private cairnswk

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:37 am

Is there another way to abbreviate it? Would Aus.-Hung. fit? If not, I think Austria is the best compromise, since the Austro-Hungarian influence on this map deals with foreign policy, which someone said was mostly handled by Austria, right?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:38 am

qwert wrote:almost forget.Flags of Russia,Germany,Britain and Japan is wrong(you use specific flags,like Japanese is naval flag,not flag of empire)

bugger me...i did use 2. fix next version.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:39 am

ZeakCytho wrote:Is there another way to abbreviate it? Would Aus.-Hung. fit? If not, I think Austria is the best compromise, since the Austro-Hungarian influence on this map deals with foreign policy, which someone said was mostly handled by Austria, right?

Hehehe...you qwert and ian can argue it out between you.
I'm suggesting A-H Empire
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas