Conquer Club

Official Brazil REVAMP competition [Done! - RJbeals wins]

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Official Brazil REVAMP competition [Pre Round 2]

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:01 pm

I'm gonna lose. :D :D

Great job you two (Oak and RJ).
Either of these maps will make great additions to the site.

Best of luck to both of you.
Major WidowMakers

Postby pamoa on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:49 am

Ok comment about last version:

Oaktown, again great job but 1900 is off theme for me
    general book color was far more better and realistic in the first version
    you removed too much of the yellow inside the central axis region
    central book binding is better but you have to desaturate it now it's orange
    all aditionnal drawing are a great improvement
    the plant drawing in the top right corner look strange somthing sticked on the book not a drawing
    I prefered the coat of arms in color

RJbeals, your map theme is the most appropriate you have my vote
    I prefer the warmer general color you have now
    I love the general texture you added to territories
    maybe the background image a bit lighter
    impassable borders are way much better now, maybe the grain in the glow is a bit too strong
    despite I not a huge fan of your first title it was more present than this one but keep upper left position
    for brazil flag I've a suggestion: make the minimap smaller and put it as the "globe" center of the brazilian flag
    you can get rid of the region legend as you have the minimap or put the name around the big map
    did you try to draw the borders of the rest of the continent with the thin yellow line you had before

WidowMakers, hand drawn approach is perfectly done but... well hand drawn
    last version is less readable
    pitty we don't see from whom they take independance
    would make the all book lighter
    maybe you can draw the coast in prlongation of porto alegre and ampa

That's all guys, may RJ win :)
De gueules Ć  la tour d'argent ouverte, crĆ©nelĆ©e de trois piĆØces, sommĆ©e d'un donjon ajourĆ©, crĆ©nelĆ© de deux piĆØces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby oaktown on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:39 am

thanks for the comments, pamoa... you have a great eye, and I hope we see a lot more of your work here in the future.

The color has been bothering me as well, as it is beginning to look like the book is rusted. Anyway, this is what I came up with earlier this evening - in all likelihood this is the version that will be going to gimil.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r76/ ... vamp06.jpg

In playing around with a possible small version, I think that the font size (which I've increased) and the army circles will be fine, but I'll have to lighten the grunge to make the text readable. On the large map the text boxes are nice background - on the small version they start to fade in to the background, and we can't have that! [-X

Let's get out the vote for round two - it'd be nice to get this advertised outside of the foundry so the rest of the site can't bitch when the revamp is unveiled.
Captain oaktown

Postby homes32 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:42 am

sounds like a good chance for Lack to break in the new Headlines feature...
-homes32

Highest Score: 1850
Lieutenant homes32

Postby oaktown on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:34 pm

tick, tick, tick...
Captain oaktown

Postby RjBeals on Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:09 pm

oaktown wrote:tick, tick, tick...

ha...

I'm waiting also oak. I'm not sure if if gim is 4 hours or 6 hours ahead of me????
Private RjBeals

Postby gimil on Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:12 pm

RjBeals wrote:
oaktown wrote:tick, tick, tick...

ha...

I'm waiting also oak. I'm not sure if if gim is 4 hours or 6 hours ahead of me????

50mins to go.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby RjBeals on Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:16 pm

I guess that means he 5 hours ahead of me (east coast usa)
Private RjBeals

Postby gimil on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:09 pm

Round 2 - The Final!

Rjbeals
Click image to enlarge.

oaktown
Click image to enlarge.

Widowmakers
Click image to enlarge.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Official Brazil REVAMP competition [Round 2]

Postby edbeard on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:16 pm

I don't know how I'm going to pick

RJ's is just a very good standard style looking map

Oak's looks more and more like it's actually coming from a book (still seems a bit too juxtaposed for me)

widow's is almost perfect and seems like it definitely came from some dude's journal.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby oaktown on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:18 pm

hey gim, maybe clean up that first post? It goes directly from the new second round images to the old second round images, and could be confusing.

Rj put some nice final touches on that map, and I think it really looks finished. I like mine of course, but I'd be happy to lose to Rj's.
Captain oaktown

Postby jiminski on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:23 pm

good grief that is a tough decision!

I am sorry widow but as much as i love your piece of art (and it most surely is a work of art!) it is just a little less clear than the other 2 options. Indeed that is its charm and what makes it so beautiful but in practical terms beautiful women often don't make the best wives ;)

Ok, so to Ugly and dependable:

wow i was so firmly on Oaks side in the first instance but the slight changes to RJ's and perhaps my becoming accustomed to the visual bombardment has made it 50 50!

RJ's is crisp and exotic... you just know your eyes will never be allowed to miss a lone troop due to visual apathy!

Oaks is such a perfect concept and crackles with class and charm....it is truthful in every way to its founding character.
... I am going to have to sleep on my vote!

thank you all for your endeavours!
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby RjBeals on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:27 pm

I say we let all 3 become live maps. They are all so different and great in their own ways - I would hate to have only 1 make it. ;)
Private RjBeals

Postby edbeard on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:28 pm

unfortunately it seems like widow is getting results because he made a small version of the map. I don't think Rj's will have problems on his small version but I think widow's version is being looked at negatively when, to me, it doesn't seem like there'll be a problem at all. It'll be crunched but pretty much all small maps are like that anyway. I think Oak will have to do some juggling but it's unfortunate that size has come into people's decisions at all. I know some are looking at legibility of widow's text as well but it's still unfortunate.

In future contests, I think both small and large should be required. Or, make everyone show a small version.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:29 pm

jiminski wrote:good grief that is a tough decision!

I am sorry widow but as much as i love your piece of art (and it most surely is a work of art!) it is just a little less clear than the other 2 options. Indeed that is its charm and what makes it so beautiful but in practical terms beautiful women often don't make the best wives ;)
Don't worry about it. remember when I posted earlier that I was going to lose. Well I am gonna lose. And both maps (whichever wins) are far superior to mine.

I went for a map style that looks good as art. Unfortunately good looking art does not always translate well into a good looking gameboard.
I might try to do this again later on another map.

But I am actually glad that these other two maps are here. They both are better than mine. Good luck guys.
Oh, and I voted for RJ's map. Fantastic!!!!

Major WidowMakers

Postby oaktown on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:35 pm

WidowMakers wrote: went for a map style that looks good as art. Unfortunately good looking art does not always translate well into a good looking gameboard. I might try to do this again later on another map.

Indeed, the look I went for would also look just as good - perhaps better - when applied to a different subject. I made that book background because I was going to take a stab at a Japan map, but then I got lazy and stuck Brazil on top of it the day before the revamp entries were due. If Rj takes this I'd be happy to play his map, and re-use my elements on something else.
Captain oaktown

Postby jiminski on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:38 pm

gracious gentlemen all!
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby gimil on Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:00 pm

edbeard wrote:In future contests, I think both small and large should be required. Or, make everyone show a small version.

The less restraints on a competition the better. I want everyone to have fun on this doing the map the way they want to do it with as much creative freedom as possible. That is why I left people to make there own decision on what size to use.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby edbeard on Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:05 pm

gimil wrote:
edbeard wrote:In future contests, I think both small and large should be required. Or, make everyone show a small version.

The less restraints on a competition the better. I want everyone to have fun on this doing the map the way they want to do it with as much creative freedom as possible. That is why I left people to make there own decision on what size to use.

I'm not trying to get into a big thing here, but if they have to do it eventually, might as well do it right away. We've heard lack and any say that a vast majority use the small maps so that's what we should be judging. If it works on a small map, it'll work on the large. Not always vice-versa.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby RjBeals on Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:08 pm

edbeard wrote:I'm not trying to get into a big thing here, but if they have to do it eventually, might as well do it right away.

If I only had a week to submit a large and small, I wouldn't have enough time. Creating a small (or large) isn't just a resize. It's a lot of work to make sure everything looks / fits well. I would say on the next revamp, 1 size is specified, that all map makers would have to follow (preferably large).
Private RjBeals

Postby edbeard on Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:12 pm

RjBeals wrote:
edbeard wrote:I'm not trying to get into a big thing here, but if they have to do it eventually, might as well do it right away.

If I only had a week to submit a large and small, I wouldn't have enough time. Creating a small (or large) isn't just a resize. It's a lot of work to make sure everything looks / fits well. I would say on the next revamp, 1 size is specified, that all map makers would have to follow (preferably large).

I'm not saying to make both. I'm saying make everyone do the small. small is where the issues come about. most of the time, the large map is a breeze when it comes to legibility and spacing. these are usually big issues when it comes to small maps. instead of there being speculation (oh this one will be crowded or illegible) just make 'em all start on the small. everyone will be on the same playing field.

if anyone cares to continue this discussion, let's make a thread in foundry discussion
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:40 pm

Added a news feed for Round 2 Voting to the Home page. Lets hope it draws in some views and votes.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby jiminski on Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:49 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Added a news feed for Round 2 Voting to the Home page. Lets hope it draws in some views and votes.

--Andy

perfect Andy.

As a relative newboy to the foundry, I think that all of the map choices are so special that it would be nice for someone to put a thread and link in General Discussion too perhaps?
Last edited by jiminski on Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:57 pm

:) We hope that more minor announcements via the Home Page will help ease transitions of various Foundry (and really, General Site stuff too) items. 10 or so random votes have appeared since it was posted a few minutes ago. We'll see if it really draws more than the last vote without it.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:10 pm

edbeard wrote:
RjBeals wrote:

I'm not saying to make both. I'm saying make everyone do the small. small is where the issues come about. most of the time, the large map is a breeze when it comes to legibility and spacing. these are usually big issues when it comes to small maps. instead of there being speculation (oh this one will be crowded or illegible) just make 'em all start on the small. everyone will be on the same playing field.

if anyone cares to continue this discussion, let's make a thread in foundry discussion
I agree with ed. That is why i did my map small. If you can make a good looking small map, the large map will be even better.
Major WidowMakers

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions