Conquer Club

Official Brazil REVAMP competition [Done! - RJbeals wins]

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Official Brazil REVAMP competition [Round 2]

Postby Marvaddin on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:57 pm

Hey, all.

I just didnt reply earlier because Im in a trip, meeting my girlfriend (Brazilian HOT woman, like Patroclus would say, lolololol). Im even having some problems to connect to the net here where I am. But, lets talk about whats important.

Im very impressed, mostly by entries A and B. Congratz to you all. (And to me, I got a vote, lol!) :D

In fact, I would vote to A, but I didnt do it because I dont want to show acceptance to some things about this one. RJ, like I said before, I intend to use the veto "super"-powers to the tilt, and this because a simple reason: Im not minimally convinced its necessary. It doesnt change too much the map proportions like it did to Portugal and Italy (and even doing that, its not something people from a country would love; I saw some of the reactions in the Portuguese forum, and I agree to them). See, you can decrease or remove the square around the map, put the image borders nearer to the map, decrease even the map a bit, because in most territories we have free space. Im sure you can do it without the tilt.

About the colours in the title, and the lack of national symbol, well, if your map really wins, we can discuss it properly. Like someone said, we have now 2 legends. I love the minimap, but I know we need have the continent names. How about putting them in the minimap, having some free space to the flag? Well, eliminating the tilt we will anyway have some free space in the bottom right corner. And the title, well, I can live with that, but before we can see what are the options having green and yellow only, or with blue. If this one is really the best... well, we will see.

A little suggestion: although I like the background, Brazil is not a big jungle like some people think. We have cities with +10M people, factories, etc. What you think about having the jungle in one side of the background (W side, preferently) and other things (like even the ocean) in the other?

Beyond that, some mispelled names, and the letters "p" and "g" being a bit alike, I loved the map! Congratulations!

Oak, your map is also great, it really remembers a book. Main problems: some of the side notes have wrong info (like Rio having 1 million people, lol, its more like 5-10 millions) that we would need to correct, and the northeast colour in the map doesnt meet the colour in the legend. And what do you mean by geographic anomalies? lol :lol:

Like someone said, entry C was better before the changes. Very good, but my last option in this poll. Congrats anyway, WM.

Thats it for now. I will probably be at home next sunday or monday. Then I can be more helpfull to the discussion if needed.
Major Marvaddin

Postby Bones2484 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:02 pm

Well, with such large changes you'd like to A who knows it that would still be everyone's favorite?

I can completely understand the "tilt-veto" and rotating the map wouldn't change the feel of the map (and there is no reason for the minimap)... but everything else you mentioned definitely would be a large graphic overhaul.
Last edited by Bones2484 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Bones2484

Postby oaktown on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:03 pm

Marvaddin wrote: Main problems: some of the side notes have wrong info (like Rio having 1 million people, lol, its more like 5-10 millions) that we would need to correct

well, this map is set in 1900 - when there were just 1 million people. i stand by my map.
Captain oaktown

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:07 pm

oaktown wrote:
Mjinga wrote:
DragonCharmer84 wrote:Hm. The maps are nice but not particularly accurate to real-world geography.

It's the first thing I'm gonna whinge about when RJ wins. :lol: I've only not been saying anything because it's useless to try and fix them all in the voting rounds.

Actually, we have no control over the geography. The rules of the competition were that the map was to stay true to marvaddin's original, which has long been known for it's, um, geographic anomalies.

I believe it was clarified back in the first few pages that changing territory borders and names was fine as long as the gameplay stayed the same, much like the Germany revmap.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby oaktown on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:14 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:I believe it was clarified back in the first few pages that changing territory borders and names was fine as long as the gameplay stayed the same, much like the Germany revmap.

right, but my biggest question about the geography of this map has always been the location of impassables... they aren't based on anything that actually exists.

Changing territory borders would change the way the map plays - you can tweak them, but you can't add/eliminate attack routes.

Anyway, the map plays pretty well, so why would we want to mess with those things?
Captain oaktown

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:19 pm

oaktown wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:I believe it was clarified back in the first few pages that changing territory borders and names was fine as long as the gameplay stayed the same, much like the Germany revmap.

right, but my biggest question about the geography of this map has always been the location of impassables... they aren't based on anything that actually exists.

Changing territory borders would change the way the map plays - you can tweak them, but you can't add/eliminate attack routes.

Anyway, the map plays pretty well, so why would we want to mess with those things?

No, keep the gameplay the same but change the names of the territories so they more accurately reflect the actual areas. Many of the territories are not placed where they are in reality, and the borders are off. It's possible to make it more accurate without changing gameplay at all. See the entry Mjinga did (D) from round 1.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby GrimReaper. on Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:22 pm

ENTRY A!
When the first Atom bomb test was complete a colleague of Oppenheimer said: "What an Awesome and Foul display of Power." a moment later he added, "Now we are all sons of bitches"
Private GrimReaper.

Postby RjBeals on Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:53 pm

Jeez...

Marv - because I like you so much, I'm willing to listen. I can start working (well if I win) on tilting the map back to true north. I don't agree, but what can you do. It's not as simple as just rotating though. I may have to redraw borders.

The background I can also adjust, if needed. Your background is all green, and I kind of liked it, which is why I went in the "rain forest" direction.

But - let's see what happens, and we'll go from there. Thanks for all the feedback, and I'm glad you like it.
Private RjBeals

Postby jiminski on Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:07 pm

Marvaddin wrote:Hey, all.

I just didnt reply earlier because Im in a trip, meeting my girlfriend (Brazilian HOT woman, like Patroclus would say, lolololol). Im even having some problems to connect to the net here where I am. But, lets talk about whats important.

Im very impressed, mostly by entries A and B. Congratz to you all. (And to me, I got a vote, lol!) :D

In fact, I would vote to A, but I didnt do it because I dont want to show acceptance to some things about this one. RJ, like I said before, I intend to use the veto "super"-powers to the tilt, and this because a simple reason: Im not minimally convinced its necessary. It doesnt change too much the map proportions like it did to Portugal and Italy (and even doing that, its not something people from a country would love; I saw some of the reactions in the Portuguese forum, and I agree to them). See, you can decrease or remove the square around the map, put the image borders nearer to the map, decrease even the map a bit, because in most territories we have free space. Im sure you can do it without the tilt.

About the colours in the title, and the lack of national symbol, well, if your map really wins, we can discuss it properly. Like someone said, we have now 2 legends. I love the minimap, but I know we need have the continent names. How about putting them in the minimap, having some free space to the flag? Well, eliminating the tilt we will anyway have some free space in the bottom right corner. And the title, well, I can live with that, but before we can see what are the options having green and yellow only, or with blue. If this one is really the best... well, we will see.

A little suggestion: although I like the background, Brazil is not a big jungle like some people think. We have cities with +10M people, factories, etc. What you think about having the jungle in one side of the background (W side, preferently) and other things (like even the ocean) in the other?

Beyond that, some mispelled names, and the letters "p" and "g" being a bit alike, I loved the map! Congratulations!

Oak, your map is also great, it really remembers a book. Main problems: some of the side notes have wrong info (like Rio having 1 million people, lol, its more like 5-10 millions) that we would need to correct, and the northeast colour in the map doesnt meet the colour in the legend. And what do you mean by geographic anomalies? lol :lol:

Like someone said, entry C was better before the changes. Very good, but my last option in this poll. Congrats anyway, WM.

Thats it for now. I will probably be at home next sunday or monday. Then I can be more helpfull to the discussion if needed.

Marv! you are a top man! and your original map was beautiful.

As Oak said above, the data is not true due to it being a retro-map. Yellowing pages faded pastel illustration. Perfection of its genre; it makes me feel like a 9 year old lad, flicking through gnarled text-books in youthful curiosity.

regarding RJ's: in my opinion (sometimes humble, sometimes not) your requests are not correct.
Please allow the map to stand ... even slightly askew ... as it is ;)
All of the colour is somehow evocative of the lush, vibrant perception of Brazil (one look at the map and you can hear the rhythmic tease of Samba).. correct or not.
And let us face it, the populated areas would pale into insignificance if we were to juxtapose them against the unpopulated areas from a satellites view.

respectfully yours, jim
Captain jiminski

Postby Kaplowitz on Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:26 pm

I like it tilted, not because of the room, but because of the fact the map is a square- which is awesome.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Joga Bonito on Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:33 am

Ok I from Brasil...

A no look right, it turned which make look fake. And Porto Alegre in wrong spot.

C a bit better, Brasil is right shape, but look too much like kids drawing, sorry. Flag also inaccurate because stars do not form the cross near middle (if you know what I mean, the Crux)

B is best of three because map right shape, I like how you put coat of arms, if you include a flag somewhere it would be best, even near title.

So I vote B hope you win.
Private 1st Class Joga Bonito

Postby RjBeals on Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:26 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:A no look right, it turned which make look fake.

I really don't know why so many people have an issue with the map being tilted. You all know the earth is round right?
Some maps with different perspectives put a whole new twist on the game.

Private RjBeals

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:30 pm

Agreed, and I love the map as a square. There arent too many of those out there.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:26 pm

I personally like the tilt as well, it gives a bit more room for the names in the yellow territs and everything fits nicely around the map. And like RJ said, it gives an interesting perspective on things. I think my next map will be south-up :D
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby jiminski on Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:28 pm

RjBeals wrote:I really don't know why so many people have an issue with the map being tilted. You all know the earth is round right?
Some maps with different perspectives put a whole new twist on the game.

i reckon most people think your map is absolutely fantastic RJ and that the tilt, colour, mini-map and legend work to form almost perfect synergy.

the image needs to spread into your psyche.. it took me a while until i truly appreciated it and perhaps it will be the same for Marv.
Captain jiminski

Postby fireedud on Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:39 pm

I really love the tilt, it takes on a whole different direction.
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:33 pm

The votes seem to be dying down now...but I reckon 500+ votes is one of the largest bananas we've ever seen visit the Foundry, if only for a few seconds. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby GrimReaper. on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:45 pm

ENTRY A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When the first Atom bomb test was complete a colleague of Oppenheimer said: "What an Awesome and Foul display of Power." a moment later he added, "Now we are all sons of bitches"
Private GrimReaper.

Postby RjBeals on Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:23 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:The votes seem to be dying down now...but I reckon 500+ votes is one of the largest bananas we've ever seen visit the Foundry, if only for a few seconds. :)

--Andy

No doubt Andy. I never would have guessed that the home page Headlines would draw so much attention. Seems ol' Lack has done well. Now if he would just upload Iceland.... ;)
Private RjBeals

Postby oaktown on Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:26 pm

I love that Europe map you found rj... makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. You might be seeing those circus tent style mountains on a future map of mine.
Captain oaktown

Postby Bones2484 on Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:43 pm

Joga Bonito wrote: And Porto Alegre in wrong spot.

The text is pointing to the territory, NOT to where the actual city is. Porto Alegre is in the right spot. Look at a map.
Major Bones2484

Postby jako on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:38 am

i dont know why people keep bad-mouthing the tilt. i think its great and makes the map look even better. new and great things always take some getting used to. ;)

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Postby hulmey on Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:50 am

Just Voted B, but doesnt look like my 1 vote is going to help! Love the book idea and if you dont win it here, i hope you use it for another map =D> =D>
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby RjBeals on Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:17 am

oaktown wrote:I love that Europe map you found rj...
Credit goes to Ruben Cesar for finding that. He linked it to me through skype a few months ago. But yes, I also like the style the map is drawn in. And the angle gives it a totally unique feel.
Private RjBeals

Postby Psy Oct on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:55 am

B - it looks absolutely brilliant.
Cadet Psy Oct

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions