Conquer Club

Deadbeat Solutions

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Deadbeat Solutions

Postby Ran Taro on Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:39 pm

I think that if you miss turns you should be penalised. It's frustrating having to wait for people who never play, and can be an unfair advantage to "save up" turns anyway.

In my humble opinion, if you miss a turn you should have your armies deployed on a random territory you own at the end of the turn. If you miss three turns in a row you should automatically surrender, and have your maximum number of active games reduced by 1. Why give equal bandwidth to deadbeats?
Corporal Ran Taro

Postby lackattack on Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:13 pm

I'm thinking it's okay to have armies multiplied for missed rounds. You benefit from a surprise attack factor, but there is also disadvantage to not being around.

But I agree about automatic deadbeat elimination. Maybe after 4 or 5 missed rounds. NYMEX suggested keeping deadbeats alive, but not waiting for them and not giving them more than 15 armies. I think that's too complicated. Surrender is easy to understand and to program.
Sergeant lackattack

RE: Deadbeats ... Oust them - Let's play, not stall the game

Postby Invictus on Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:41 am

Why should active players be penalized by deadbeats? ... after all, isn't one of the missions of this site to promote PLAYING Risk games, rather than STALLING them?

I would like to echo some of Ran Taro's sentiment & suggestion regarding Deadbeats ... yes, it is extremely frustrating to wait for people who never play ... not only because tempo is an important part of warfare … but also because the unnecessary delays caused by Deadbeats, combined with the current (reasonable) limit on the # of simultaneous games allowed, result in those of us who want to actively play on this site being unable to play as many games as we might otherwise play if the Deadbeats were identified and purged … something easily done.

To keep things simple ... the rules as well as software modifications ... I agree with Ran Taro's suggestion that whenever a player misses 3 consecutive turns in a game - (think about it, 3 entire days of inactivity), then let this result in an automatic forfeiture of that game by the offending player ... with that game being treated as if that player had surrendered/withdrawn ... thus allowing the active players to continue & complete the game in a timely manner ... and subsequently start another game ... sooner than if the Deadbeats are allowed to continue slowing down the game … which is the result of the current rule allowing an unlimited # of missed turns.

To quote the famous philosopher Forest Gump ... "and that's all I have to say about that!"
Private Invictus

Postby lackattack on Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:19 pm

I think we all are in agreement. I'll make some changes over the weekend.
Sergeant lackattack

Re: RE: Deadbeats ... Oust them - Let's play, not stall the

Postby molestar on Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:57 pm

Invictus wrote:
To quote the famous philosopher Forest Gump ... "and that's all I have to say about that!"

I thought that was Stone Cold Steve Austin's Line
Sergeant 1st Class molestar

Return to Archived Suggestions