Conquer Club

Spectate option for fog of war games

Suggestions that have been archived.

Spectate option for fog of war games

Postby Brian_c_m on Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:13 am

Concise description:
  • Anyone who has played and lost at a fog of war game will tell you that it truely sucks not being able to see what's going on in the game with the remaining players. You can read the logs to get a gist of what's happening but too much is left to the imagination. I think a great addition would be to include the option of 'spectate buttons' which will allow players to give spectators permission to view their game without fog of war.

Specifics:
  • Each player has the option to allow members to spectate their game with the fog of war lifted. Somewhere on the page, there are a number of checkboxs under the title, 'Allowed Spectators'.
  • As a player, you can give permission (if you trust that it will not be used against you) to allow members to view your game.
    |_|player 1
    |_|player 2
    |_|player n
    |_|friends
    |_|foes
    |_|Any non-player
  • For example, If you checked 'player 1' & 'friends'. then those in your friends list will be allowed to view your game and player 1, only when he has been eliminated, can view your game. If at any stage you suspect that someone is feeding info to an opponent, you simply un-check the appropriate box.
  • Obviously, a spectator can only see the whole map if all players have checked the appropriate box.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • It gives the players who have been eliminated, a chance to still feel apart of the game (provided that the remaining players have given him permission to do so)
Lieutenant Brian_c_m

Re: Spectate option for fog of war games

Postby InsomniaRed on Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:59 am

I'm sorry I don't think this could work, still too many ways for people to cheat. It is an idea, I mean I, for one, wish I could watch my friends fog games, but it really is too likely that this option would be abused.
      I will always love you Nick, Forever.
      I will always love you Nick, Forever.
Major InsomniaRed

Postby Brian_c_m on Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:35 am

Sadly, I do realize that there are those out there that would abuse this feature. But the use of it is totally up to the descretion of the players themselves.

E.g. If I'm in a social game with 5 other players, (two that i trust and three that I don't), then if a friend of mine is eliminated or I am eliminated, the remaining player has the option to at least allow the other to spectate his/her game. If the other four feel the same way then they can also choose to 'reveal' their game.

Allowing non-players to view the game does seem to make the game too vulnerable to abuse, so maybe restricting the spectate option to players only will be a safer option.
Lieutenant Brian_c_m

Postby InkL0sed on Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:39 pm

Since this leaves it up to the players to decide, I think this option would be great. Any abuse would be self-moderated.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby bedub1 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:26 pm

Great idea!

It would be awesome to watch my friends FOW games. But you need to PROHIBIT the active players in the game from showing the other active players in the game their screen...otherwise that is just secret alliances/cheating.
Colonel bedub1

Postby Draconian_Intel on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:44 pm

Its not just the player who allowed the spectators that can be seen though. All the armies that border the player could be seen by the spectators. People already complain about people announcing armies in FoW games, it would only get worse with this.

I think it is an admirable idea, but it is impractical in my opinion.
Corporal Draconian_Intel

Postby Timminz on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:56 pm

Draconian_Intel wrote:I think it is an admirable idea, but it is impractical in my opinion.

My thoughts exactly. It would be open to a whole lot of abuse.
Captain Timminz

Postby Brian_c_m on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:32 am

I've never been in a game where someone has announced border counts and ruined it for the other players but it's not too hard to imagine that some idiot out there would do it. Although, since the spectate option is only available to eliminated players, if someone were to announce border counts, they'll only be setting themselves up for negitive ratings. Alternatively, you could disable the chat for the spectator until after the game has finished. If you ask me, I'd rather watch the remaining players finish eachother off then chat to them in a game that I can't see.
Lieutenant Brian_c_m

Postby BENJIKAT IS DEAD on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:34 am

I would never allow anyone to spectate - (however it would be very helpful to be able to see clan games that I'm not playing in)
Colonel BENJIKAT IS DEAD

Postby bedub1 on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:36 am

BENJIKAT IS DEAD wrote:I would never allow anyone to spectate.

I believe that would be your right. Just because something "can" be abused, doesn't necessarily mean that it "will" be abused. And simply because it might be abused doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. If people abuse it, they should receive horrible feedback, anybody that goes to play a fow game with them will realize they shouldn't as the guy sucks and "abuses" that ability. Don't punish everybody just cause of a couple jackass's.
Colonel bedub1

Postby Brian_c_m on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:33 am

Also remember that players wouldn't give spectate permission to someone who had already been abusive in the game before he/she was eliminated. And if someone starts abusing the privilage, his spectate permission can be removed. Like InkL0sed said, this would be self-moderated
Lieutenant Brian_c_m

Postby MrBenn on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:59 am

If it were to work (which I don't think it would), then all remaining players should be able to veto any spectatorship in order to help mitigate against abuse of the feature.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby sensfan on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:23 am

My tournament's game is fog and i can't see a thing i have the game log as my only helper.

My TPA tournament, Chief Trio, is up. Join it now:http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=159516

I cover the TPA Wrap for the CC Newsletter.
Cook sensfan

Location: In front of my computer sitting on a comfy computer chair

Postby Brian_c_m on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:47 am

MrBenn makes a good point but I still think this idea has potential... There must be some way to get this going?
ANything creative with regards to the vetoíng idea?
Lieutenant Brian_c_m

Postby Frop on Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:14 am

Abuse².
Captain Frop

Postby blakebowling on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:06 pm

what about having a block on that player chatting in the game, as well as PM'ing any player in the game
Private blakebowling

Postby lancehoch on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:27 pm

blake, PM blocks do not work for a variety of reasons.
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby blakebowling on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:34 pm

do you mean that PM's still get through

or that there are other ways to cheat??
Private blakebowling

Lift Fog of War for eliminated players *Rejected*

Postby quixote71 on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:40 am

Concise description:
  • As an option for friendly games, eliminated players are allowed to see the entire board.

Specifics/Details:
  • When creating the game, the moderator can reveal the entire map to eliminated players.
  • Right now, eliminated players see a map and log of question marks, which is no fun if you want to analyze the end game.
  • Clearly, this would only work in friendly games in which you could trust the eliminated not to share info with survivors.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Friends are more likely to choose CC over other sites if they can enjoy watching each other die.
Captain quixote71

Re: Lift Fog of War for eliminated players

Postby greenoaks on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:52 am

this will allow the eliminated to see & inform the other players of everyone's troop numbers or placement

not going to happen.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby quixote71 on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:00 am

Yes, I mentioned that in the specifics. It would only work in games where you trusted the other players. This is the entirety of my gaming load, as I play to keep in touch with friends. I have to think this accounts for enough of CC's market to consider the option.

Clearly, a seasoned veteran on the global stage (such as yourself) would not use this option.
Captain quixote71

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:15 am

So then, this option would only be available for Private games? I'm not entirely convinced this "market" is indeed that large, but it would definitely be a cool thing to see implemented.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby drunkmonkey on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:23 am

I would guess that the market of players who want to play with friends exclusively is 100% freemium, and not looking to become premium.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby jefjef on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:26 am

Metsfanmax wrote:So then, this option would only be available for Private games? I'm not entirely convinced this "market" is indeed that large, but it would definitely be a cool thing to see implemented.

This sugg is unrealistic and unnecessary.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:13 am

jefjef wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:So then, this option would only be available for Private games? I'm not entirely convinced this "market" is indeed that large, but it would definitely be a cool thing to see implemented.

This sugg is unrealistic and unnecessary.

What about it is unrealistic?
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions