Conquer Club

"New" Maps Becoming "Beta" Maps

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: "New" Maps Becoming "Beta" Maps

Postby Jumentum on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:54 pm

other older maps should still be subject to change, since pressing issues should be changeable is need be
Corporal 1st Class Jumentum

Postby Halmir on Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:23 am

This is a great idea. Is it possible to set up a feedback link from each game into the relevant forum section for bug reports etc? Saves having to navigate through the forum structure, and might mean that bugs are cleared up more quickly.
Lieutenant Halmir

Postby blakebowling on Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:21 am

Halmir wrote:This is a great idea. Is it possible to set up a feedback link from each game into the relevant forum section for bug reports etc? Saves having to navigate through the forum structure, and might mean that bugs are cleared up more quickly.

Currently, the maps thread is used (found under the stickies in Final Forge), This has been proposed (along with having a link to tourney threads in Tournament Games)

This should probabally go in Suggs and Bugs anyway (the suggestion, not the announcement)
Private blakebowling

Postby t-o-m on Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:36 pm

blakebowling wrote:
Halmir wrote:This is a great idea. Is it possible to set up a feedback link from each game into the relevant forum section for bug reports etc? Saves having to navigate through the forum structure, and might mean that bugs are cleared up more quickly.

Currently, the maps thread is used (found under the stickies in Final Forge), This has been proposed (along with having a link to tourney threads in Tournament Games)

This should probabally go in Suggs and Bugs anyway (the suggestion, not the announcement)

Quneched maps aren't stickied.
Major t-o-m

Postby yeti_c on Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:42 pm

t-o-m wrote:
blakebowling wrote:

Quneched maps aren't stickied.

He said "under the stickies"...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby t-o-m on Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:15 pm

yeti_c wrote:He said "under the stickies"...

Ah, i inturpreted that as in "look under the stickies" as in "in the stickies"

My mistake.
Major t-o-m

Postby Androidz on Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:34 pm

Just a quick question.

Could you guys make it the first 2 days the "Beta" maps appear that in closed version were only the map makers can invite player to test it out. Given the Foundry Privlige?:P
Private Androidz

Postby t-o-m on Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:59 pm

Who says map makers know everything about their map and how it plays?
Major t-o-m

Postby Androidz on Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:02 pm

t-o-m wrote:Who says map makers know everything about their map and how it plays?

I didin't say that but i still think he should have the right to be the first to try it.

If he don't find the map any good to play one then he can rework it...lots of good stuff come from this.
Private Androidz

Postby barterer2002 on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:37 pm

Androidz wrote:
t-o-m wrote:Who says map makers know everything about their map and how it plays?

I didin't say that but i still think he should have the right to be the first to try it.

If he don't find the map any good to play one then he can rework it...lots of good stuff come from this.

That seems unnecessary. first off, many games are going to last longer than 2 days or take longer than 2 days to find the problems (Das Schloss for instance).

Second, its probably a good idea to get a wider perspective. The map maker has been intimately involved in the process fro start to end, having some new eyes take a look at it may bring some ideas out that seem obvious to the mapmaker but not to the rest of the CC Community.

Third, players playing the beta maps have a clear warning that things may be changed midway through. By joining these maps they accept these perils.

Fourth, it isn't as if the map maker can't play the first or second or whatever game, they are free to make whatever games they need to.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby Androidz on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:44 pm

barterer2002 wrote:
Androidz wrote:

That seems unnecessary. first off, many games are going to last longer than 2 days or take longer than 2 days to find the problems (Das Schloss for instance).

Second, its probably a good idea to get a wider perspective. The map maker has been intimately involved in the process fro start to end, having some new eyes take a look at it may bring some ideas out that seem obvious to the mapmaker but not to the rest of the CC Community.

Third, players playing the beta maps have a clear warning that things may be changed midway through. By joining these maps they accept these perils.

Fourth, it isn't as if the map maker can't play the first or second or whatever game, they are free to make whatever games they need to.

As my suggestion wasen't about finding flaws in the first place just that he should aumaticly join that map before some1 else or something like that. I still think he should be the first on it. But i get what you mean.
Private Androidz

Postby Night Strike on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:32 pm

I believe the map maker does get the first game already. Check out Iceland, Rj was in the very first game on the map.
Major Night Strike

Postby Androidz on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:33 pm

Night Strike wrote:I believe the map maker does get the first game already. Check out Iceland, Rj was in the very first game on the map.

Isint, that cause he was online when it got quenched?
Private Androidz

Postby Night Strike on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:37 pm

Androidz wrote:
Night Strike wrote:I believe the map maker does get the first game already. Check out Iceland, Rj was in the very first game on the map.

Oh, ok.
Major Night Strike

Postby Androidz on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:39 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Androidz wrote:

Oh, ok.

im not sure just a wild guess. But you might have right i gonna ask rjbeals.
Private Androidz

Postby reggie_mac on Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:41 pm

Do what i do, print it out and play IRL, that way you can bash people for beating you on your own map the first time :)
Soviet Invaders: Space Invaders, it's not just a game
New Zealand Map - Foundry
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Postby cairnswk on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:37 am

That is not always the case.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby xxtig12683xx on Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:56 pm

im not reading 3 pages, but i dont get it, if they need to be tweaked or fixed why release them to begin with?!?!

-tig
"there is no avoiding war, it can only be postponed to the advantage of your enemy" NM, 1502
Sergeant 1st Class xxtig12683xx

Postby Herakilla on Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:45 am

xxtig12683xx wrote:im not reading 3 pages, but i dont get it, if they need to be tweaked or fixed why release them to begin with?!?!

-tig

because theres no way to tell if they need to be until they are played by someone
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby xxtig12683xx on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:47 am

Herakilla wrote:
xxtig12683xx wrote:im not reading 3 pages, but i dont get it, if they need to be tweaked or fixed why release them to begin with?!?!

-tig

because theres no way to tell if they need to be until they are played by someone

so heres a thought test game em....cc is just pushing maps out way to fast, 8 months ago it was like yea a new map. now noone craves a new one they just show up.

-tig
"there is no avoiding war, it can only be postponed to the advantage of your enemy" NM, 1502
Sergeant 1st Class xxtig12683xx

Postby reggie_mac on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:43 am

So basically the idea is that by saying BETA then there is a chance the game may change on you while playing so enter at own risk, then going to NEW where you know its a new map that has no bugs, thus not susceptible to changing mid way through.....

....unless its an assassin game and someone deadbeats =D>
Soviet Invaders: Space Invaders, it's not just a game
New Zealand Map - Foundry
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Postby rebelman on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:41 am

great to see this it was long overdue, can maps fail bata testing ? ie can they be sent back to the foundry if they are fundamentally flawed ?
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:38 am

rebelman wrote:great to see this it was long overdue, can maps fail bata testing ? ie can they be sent back to the foundry if they are fundamentally flawed ?

Yes, as happened with Das Schloss. If a may is completely out of whack, we'll do everything we can to take it out of live play and work on it until it is playable.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Qwert on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:58 pm

if i read god,after two week(14-15 days)if map dont get any valid complaining,or dont show any mistakes,then become regular map?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby blakebowling on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:34 am

qwert wrote:if i read god,after two week(14-15 days)if map dont get any valid complaining,or dont show any mistakes,then become regular map?

then it would be tagged as "New" for about two weeks, then it would become a regurlar map
Private blakebowling

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives