Conquer Club

Arctic Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby gavin_sidhu on Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:22 am

reverend_kyle wrote:
Marvaddin wrote:4 borders. But, in fact, it would be easily corrected to 3 if we use the small ice cap :wink:

Then he NEEDS to make it look like an Ice cap.. and get rid of the straight lines on it too.. they loook bloody awful.
True that, the straigt lines r ugly.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby happysadfun on Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:10 pm

I'd like it better if the ice cap didn't look like a fat person slicing a meat pie. If you made it smaller, at all, from this point on, raving liberals are going to jump on you and stick Al Gore's movie in your face. :)
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:13 pm

happysadfun wrote:I'd like it better if the ice cap didn't look like a fat person slicing a meat pie. If you made it smaller, at all, from this point on, raving liberals are going to jump on you and stick Al Gore's movie in your face. :)

^^indenial
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Bad Speler on Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:14 pm

Heres the new version; since most people prefered the large ice cap, thats what I'll use. Changes ive made are:

1. Linked Hokkaido with Kamchatka
2. North Pole no longer borders Elsemere Island
3. Lines on the ice cap are no longer straight.

Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby happysadfun on Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:16 pm

I hate when everyone blames humans for everything. It's a cyclical change, I tell you. Cyclical change!
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby happysadfun on Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:17 pm

YAY! WAY better than before!
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ *six flags old guy dance*

Cadet happysadfun

Postby gavin_sidhu on Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:52 pm

I like all changes. Maybe you should change the ocean routes to give it a more icy feel (instead of tropical orange).
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Bad Speler on Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:55 pm

Good idea.

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:09 pm

Lets take a quick look...

One thing I notice right away...perhaps tone down the Red in the Bonus legend a little, to match the continent.

Also, I like your conservation of space...though I do wish your title was a little bigger. But I don't know if you can rectify that and make it bigger.

I thought I remembered reading something about leaving the Ice Cap like the 'seas' in the Alexander map or the Quad in the CCU map...perhaps I was fabricating things in my mind.

Lastly, visual and such wise, I've never been a fan of 'Directional Area' continent names. North/South Alaska. North/South Greenland. If at all possible, see if there are any other names you can use, but considering these are just a few, it's only a minor gripe.

Asia
  • 13 Countries, 6 Borders, Bonus of 8
  • ---Can make it an easy 5 Borders by grabbing Russian Ice Cap
    European Russia
  • 8 Countries, 5 Borders, Bonus of 6
  • ---Tougher to limit borders here without grabbing a few neighboring countries, but tantalizing expansion possibilities are around
    Scandinavia
  • 4 Countries, 2 Borders, Bonus of 2
  • ---Nice little stronghold continent
    Europe
  • 6 Countries, 3 Borders, Bonus of 3
  • ---Another little stronghold continent
    North America
  • 9 Countries, 4 Borders, Bonus of 5
  • ---Nice holding continent, with some expansion possibilities in the N. Islands
    North Islands
  • 5 Countries, 3 Borders, Bonus of 3
  • ---Similar to Europe, perhaps better expansion possibilities in N. America
    Ice Cap
  • 3 Countries, 3 Borders, Bonus of 3
  • ---Making the Ice Cap worth 3 can make for some interesting battles in the center land...perhaps a hotly contested area.

Over all, I like the distribution of countries, and how things are coming along!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby reverend_kyle on Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:05 am

happysadfun wrote:I hate when everyone blames humans for everything. It's a cyclical change, I tell you. Cyclical change!

I dont deny, it isnt partly due to a cycle.. but it is also hugely impacted by humans.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gavin_sidhu on Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:37 am

Dont you have a better name then Northern Islands. Is there any official names?

Edit: the best i could find in wikipedia was arctic archipelago.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby socralynnek on Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:46 am

Somehow I don't like countries that only have one border, like it is the case with Ireland here.

So either connect it to Iceland or remove it and include e.g. the Faroe Islands whioch could connect to Iceland and Norway (maybe even G.B.)
Corporal 1st Class socralynnek

Postby gavin_sidhu on Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:50 am

socralynnek wrote:Somehow I don't like countries that only have one border, like it is the case with Ireland here.

So either connect it to Iceland or remove it and include e.g. the Faroe Islands whioch could connect to Iceland and Norway (maybe even G.B.)
Yay someone who thinks like me.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Forza AZ on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:04 am

I think the name Poland isn't a good name for the country, as it isn't only Poland, but also Germany and Denmark etc. Maybe name it Northern Europe or European Plains.
Colonel Forza AZ

Postby Bad Speler on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:35 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Lets take a quick look...

One thing I notice right away...perhaps tone down the Red in the Bonus legend a little, to match the continent.

Also, I like your conservation of space...though I do wish your title was a little bigger. But I don't know if you can rectify that and make it bigger.

I thought I remembered reading something about leaving the Ice Cap like the 'seas' in the Alexander map or the Quad in the CCU map...perhaps I was fabricating things in my mind.

Lastly, visual and such wise, I've never been a fan of 'Directional Area' continent names. North/South Alaska. North/South Greenland. If at all possible, see if there are any other names you can use, but considering these are just a few, it's only a minor gripe.

Red had been toned down; I managed to make the title larger by moving iceland a bit. Yes, i did mention that that the ice cap was similar to the alexanders map seas and as with the Directional area names, i don't like them either but i cannot find alternate names

AndyDufresne wrote:
    Ice Cap
  • 3 Countries, 3 Borders, Bonus of 3
  • ---Making the Ice Cap worth 3 can make for some interesting battles in the center land...perhaps a hotly contested area.
Over all, I like the distribution of countries, and how things are coming along!

wow, that wasnt my original attention to make it a central battlezone, but i think it could work out that way.

socralynnek wrote:Somehow I don't like countries that only have one border, like it is the case with Ireland here.

Me, I don't mind countries that only border one country, but since its the only one, i connected it with Iceland for consistancy.

Forza AZ wrote:I think the name Poland isn't a good name for the country, as it isn't only Poland, but also Germany and Denmark etc. Maybe name it Northern Europe or European Plains.

I think it is fine, many other maps combine countries and name it after the larger one.
gavin_sidhu wrote:I like all changes. Maybe you should change the ocean routes to give it a more icy feel (instead of tropical orange).

Done, but i think they might stand out too much.

Postby RjBeals on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:16 pm

Good job bad speler. Nice to see you followed through with all the suggestions. I like the bold country titles, and the smooth borders. Looks like the smooth work of illustrator :wink:

I started my map in photoshop - but thinking vector was probably the better way to start. Anyway, I'm looking forward to this being a live playable map.
Private RjBeals

Postby Bad Speler on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:18 pm

RjBeals wrote:Good job bad speler. Nice to see you followed through with all the suggestions. I like the bold country titles, and the smooth borders. Looks like the smooth work of illustrator :wink:

I started my map in photoshop - but thinking vector was probably the better way to start. Anyway, I'm looking forward to this being a live playable map.

Thanks, but its actually inkscape.

Postby Sargentgeneral on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:51 pm

great map. i really think this would go over well with the fellow players at conquerclub!
Lieutenant Sargentgeneral

Postby gavin_sidhu on Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:30 pm

I dont like your territory North America Ice, it connects to only one external territory. Maybe make it touch Victoria Island, or take a bit of the north pole and connect it to North Greenland. The new sea connections are good except when they are really short, which are hard to see.

Ur going to beutify the key aren't you?
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Bad Speler on Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:09 pm

I've changed the border so that Norht American Ice also borders Greenland. Where the sea connections were short, i brightened the lines to make them more visible. And last but not least, I've taken a shot at making the key better looking, please tell me if i've succeeded.

Postby gavin_sidhu on Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:42 pm

U have not succeded with key, looks like wood painted silver, maybe do something like an iceberg?
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby sfhbballnut on Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:45 pm

the map is looking good, but the overall image seems like its missing something, images to go with it?colorscheme? not sure about that. And I agree about the key, something like an iceberg would look a lot better
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:10 am

Great map. Changing Russian Ice was a good thing. But in fact I would disconnect Ireland and Iceland (C'mon, some countries linked to only one arent a problem, since you can advance 0 :wink: ). That connection seems strange, when we dont have one, for example, between Poland and Sweden.

And how about:
- Give Moskow some land from Tatarstan?
- Change Europe continent name? (W Europe, maybe?) Make it a 4????
- Shouldnt Russia and NA have same bonus?
- Did you realize all great continents to west and all small to east? Maybe split Asia?

Legend is very good, but you should adjust colours. For example, green is very light in the legend.
Major Marvaddin

Postby Bad Speler on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:24 pm

I have kept the legend the same, except i've changed the texture so it doesnt look like wood. I've split Asia, and removed the connection between Aleutian Islands and Kamchatka to make East Asia a bit easier to hold. I've also removed the connection from Ireland to Iceland. Finally, I've given some land to Moscow from Tatarstan.

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:08 pm

Im not sure about your changes, they may turn out to be good, then again they might not. I think you should get rid of the territory Ireland and just make it the British Isles.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas