Conquer Club

Poker Club [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which version is easier to see the army numbers on?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:09 am

Version 12
22%
Version 13
78%

Total votes : 9

Re: Poker Club [Quenched]

Postby t-o-m on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:44 pm

yeti_c wrote:So apart from the visibility issues...

Any gameplay issues?

C.

I love the gameplay, bonuses dont sky rocket, and you do get what you set out to get.
Its great.
Major t-o-m

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:43 pm

I think I will like this map, but I see a couple small issues:

I just got a pair. Legend says it should earn 4, but I only got 3 (game 3250773)

In general, I am finding it hard to read and find my cards... but I think others have mentioned that.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby edbeard on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:47 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:I think I will like this map, but I see a couple small issues:

I just got a pair. Legend says it should earn 4, but I only got 3 (game 3250773)

In general, I am finding it hard to read and find my cards... but I think others have mentioned that.

edbeard wrote:not that hard guys. notice that you get 1 army for holding a territory. add this to your bonus and voila. you've got the same total as shown in the legend.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:57 pm

edbeard wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:I think I will like this map, but I see a couple small issues:

edbeard wrote:not that hard guys. notice that you get 1 army for holding a territory. add this to your bonus and voila. you've got the same total as shown in the legend.

You need to spell this out, because this is not clear in the legend. The legend says you get 4 for a pair, not 3 plus your regular 1.

Also, you need to clarify suit order . That is, when you have 2 Aces, which suit takes precedence. Not everyone plays, and the suit order can vary.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby edbeard on Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:04 pm

actually I find it to be perfectly clear.

normally you get three armies no matter how many territories you have. it does say 'no territory bonus' at the bottom of the legend so when you see that you are in fact getting a territory bonus and that when this is combined with the bonus you get in the game log it equals the bonus it says you're supposed to be getting in the legend. now you might say, "edbeard, all those words you put are confusing and are not in fact 'perfectly clear' as you said earlier." Well I'd retort with, "the total number of armies you get to deploy equals the bonus it says you're supposed to get in the legend."

I don't know what you're talking about with suit order because the order of the suits plays no role in poker and it plays no role on the gameplay for this map.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Major Roadworks on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:44 pm

As a pokerfreak, I love the concept of this map!

Quick question: If a player has less than 5 territories but holds a bonus (e.g. a pair) - should they be given their bonus since technically they don't have a 'hand' of 5 cards? :geek:
Corporal 1st Class Major Roadworks

Postby danfrank on Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:05 am

OK,,, this i will direct at edbeard since it is you that has been answering the questions.. The game legend states no territory bonus and yet in the game log it states you are receiving 1 army for holding 2 , 19 , 7 however many territories you may hold.. You always get just 1 army .. Then you have a pair and get 3 for the pair and 1 for the territory bonus that doesnt exist according to legend..Toataling 4 for a pair as the legend states. I am not a computer geek so i can only assume that this confusion is due to how the xml must be written.. Unless one reads this thread they will always be confused. I am suggesting this.. If its possible ,, change the word territory or territories to card and cards and have the legend state +1 for holding any cards .Then minus one from each hand bonus on legend..and omit no territory bonus from legends because there are no territories just cards. something like that ... Just a thought .
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby MrBenn on Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:25 am

danfrank wrote:OK,,, this i will direct at edbeard since it is you that has been answering the questions.. The game legend states no territory bonus and yet in the game log it states you are receiving 1 army for holding 2 , 19 , 7 however many territories you may hold.. You always get just 1 army .. Then you have a pair and get 3 for the pair and 1 for the territory bonus that doesnt exist according to legend..Toataling 4 for a pair as the legend states. I am not a computer geek so i can only assume that this confusion is due to how the xml must be written.. Unless one reads this thread they will always be confused. I am suggesting this.. If its possible ,, change the word territory or territories to card and cards and have the legend state +1 for holding any cards .Then minus one from each hand bonus on legend..and omit no territory bonus from legends because there are no territories just cards. something like that ... Just a thought .

The problem with 'no card bonus' is that cards have another meaning in the context of CC - this would surely lead to more confusion...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby yeti_c on Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:15 am

danfrank wrote:OK,,, this i will direct at edbeard since it is you that has been answering the questions.. The game legend states no territory bonus and yet in the game log it states you are receiving 1 army for holding 2 , 19 , 7 however many territories you may hold.. You always get just 1 army .. Then you have a pair and get 3 for the pair and 1 for the territory bonus that doesnt exist according to legend..Toataling 4 for a pair as the legend states. I am not a computer geek so i can only assume that this confusion is due to how the xml must be written.. Unless one reads this thread they will always be confused. I am suggesting this.. If its possible ,, change the word territory or territories to card and cards and have the legend state +1 for holding any cards .Then minus one from each hand bonus on legend..and omit no territory bonus from legends because there are no territories just cards. something like that ... Just a thought .

This isn't possible in the XML - the minimum reinforcements that can be set in the XML is 1 - this is to ensure that no player ends up "stale". Sadly of course in this map - that's not possible - as you always get a bonus. - I asked Lack if this limitation could be removed and he said "maybe".

So - yes you have to add the 2 together.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:16 am

Major Roadworks wrote:As a pokerfreak, I love the concept of this map!

Quick question: If a player has less than 5 territories but holds a bonus (e.g. a pair) - should they be given their bonus since technically they don't have a 'hand' of 5 cards? :geek:

A fair point - but one that I think would make the game a lot harder - hence why I left it as is.

Also - as in some starts - you only have 2 cards - it's a bit harsh to force them to go through at least 9 neutrals til they can get bonuses.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:21 am

danfrank wrote:Thirdly i think that each player should start with only one two or three territories .. he started a game with a pair on the drop under fog it seemed pretty even because he could not see me... without fog he clearly would have been a favorite...

This has been discussed in the map development - we chose the starting places specifically so that it was only possible to receive a maximum of 2 pair - and only if you're playing 2 or 3 or 4 player - to get that drop you would be very lucky - and if you have pairs - chances are - the other players have pairs - we decided that the +2 bonus that they received for this was negligible with the neutrals on the map. - Above 4 players and it's impossible to receive 2 pair - you may receive 1 pair.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:19 am

yeti_c wrote:

This isn't possible in the XML - the minimum reinforcements that can be set in the XML is 1 - this is to ensure that no player ends up "stale". Sadly of course in this map - that's not possible - as you always get a bonus. - I asked Lack if this limitation could be removed and he said "maybe".

C.

Then this should be explained as such in the legend. Or you will continue to confuse folks. Anything "not normal" should be explained...

Second: In game 3254290 my opponent got the high card bonus, then I also got it in the next turn. Unless this is a "per person" this should not be possible. That is, is it the overall high card OR just having the high card for that person ... that is, essentially a default bonus? Either way, it should be explained a bit better.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby yeti_c on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:26 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

Then this should be explained as such in the legend. Or you will continue to confuse folks. Anything "not normal" should be explained...

Possibly - but there's no place to put anything like "sadly we cannot have one bonus in on go due to limitations in the XML - you will receive 1 for territories and the rest for your bonus - it will add up to the bonus shown in the legend".

PLAYER57832 wrote:Second: In game 3254290 my opponent got the high card bonus, then I also got it in the next turn. Unless this is a "per person" this should not be possible. That is, is it the overall high card OR just having the high card for that person ... that is, essentially a default bonus? Either way, it should be explained a bit better.

"Your best hand pays your bonus"

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Boss_oss_ss on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:27 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

Second: In game 3254290 my opponent got the high card bonus, then I also got it in the next turn. Unless this is a "per person" this should not be possible. That is, is it the overall high card OR just having the high card for that person ... that is, essentially a default bonus? Either way, it should be explained a bit better.

Well in poker if you don't have a hand all you have is a "high card". That is what it means. This way you always get a minimum of 3 armies!
Private 1st Class Boss_oss_ss

Postby Knight2254 on Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:09 pm

Any gameplay issues?

C.

A couple suggestions:

If there is a way, perhaps through BoB even, to show what cards you have and what your opponent has. Knowing what cards his full house comes from makes it easier to figure out where to attack. Also, knowing what you have without writing everything down would help you figure out what cards you should focus on. Right now you can do it, but it is difficult to see and hard to follow.
Brigadier Knight2254

Postby yeti_c on Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:53 am

Knight2254 wrote:

Any gameplay issues?

C.

A couple suggestions:

If there is a way, perhaps through BoB even, to show what cards you have and what your opponent has. Knowing what cards his full house comes from makes it easier to figure out where to attack. Also, knowing what you have without writing everything down would help you figure out what cards you should focus on. Right now you can do it, but it is difficult to see and hard to follow.

You can see this info in the Textmap (in BOB)?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby clangfield on Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:46 pm

Just started a 3 player game - WAY too many neutrals. :x Had no opportunity to attack my opponents - daft.
Lieutenant clangfield

Postby barterer2002 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:41 pm

Game 3250723

Flush is getting me +7 Legend says it should be +8

2008-09-14 19:38:11 - barterer2002 receives 7 armies for holding Flush
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby MrBenn on Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:43 pm

PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby barterer2002 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:06 pm

Ah, sorry I missed that. I read the previous page to see if it had been commented on but didn't want to go through all 50+. Should have read the previous 2, thanks for the quote benn old bean
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby happy2seeyou on Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:28 pm

I have 10 games going on this map right now. It's looking pretty fun. Do the same cards get picked for every game with 4 player doubles? I
Captain happy2seeyou

Postby edbeard on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:20 am

happy2seeyou wrote:I have 10 games going on this map right now. It's looking pretty fun. Do the same cards get picked for every game with 4 player doubles? I

certain cards were picked out to be the starting areas on the map. all the other cards were made to have a neutral start. they were done so that the best start anyone could have is 2 pair and they made they as unlikely as possible. I can't remember how many starting cards they picked. I believe it was 16 so that every game type starts everyone with a minimum of 2 cards and a max of 5.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby yeti_c on Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:47 am

edbeard wrote:
happy2seeyou wrote:I have 10 games going on this map right now. It's looking pretty fun. Do the same cards get picked for every game with 4 player doubles? I

certain cards were picked out to be the starting areas on the map. all the other cards were made to have a neutral start. they were done so that the best start anyone could have is 2 pair and they made they as unlikely as possible. I can't remember how many starting cards they picked. I believe it was 16 so that every game type starts everyone with a minimum of 2 cards and a max of 5.

Correct - there is an illustration of the starts on the first page of this thread.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby NoobX2000 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:08 am

you shouldn't be able to play "no cards" on this map :D
Captain NoobX2000

Postby watkinsdouglas on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:26 am

This is a great map, my only concern is that when you are playing as red, it gets really hard to see your troops.

But thanks for the great, original, idea!
Sergeant watkinsdouglas

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas