Conquer Club

Map of Middle-Earth [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby djak. on Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:27 pm

While fixing the spelling doesn't change the map, the new suggestions drastically change the map's play. Is there a precedent for doing that? Maybe make a separate Middle Earth 2.0?

If there are changes, please don't call the current purple territories Rohan - Rohan is much smaller than that (tho much more important (think bigger bonus) than Eriador in the story).
Lieutenant djak.

Postby joystickgenie on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:51 pm

I donā€™t think any change in game play is necessary. The game feels pretty balanced to me and that is more important then trying to base bonuses on story relevance.

Shinobi Nations
Comments are greatly appreciated.
Cadet joystickgenie

Postby Vaati on Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:44 pm

Spelling mistakes could still be fixed... people have pointed it out for awhile and no one seems to care.
Cook Vaati

Postby rebelman on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:07 am

StiffMittens wrote:Hate to be the nitpicking ultra-geek, but the Middle Earth map has several misspellings.

1. Fordlindon should actually be Forlindon (no 'd' between 'for' and 'lindon')
2. Ement should actually be Emnet (the 'm' and the 'n' are reversed)
3. Dagorland should actually be Dagorlad (no 'n')
4. Dorwinon should actually be Dorwinion (like 'dominion')
5. Sea of Ruhn should actually be Sea of Rhun ('u' and 'h' reversed)

Technically, there are also some accent marks missing here and there too, but let's not get into that.

Anyway, it's still a great map (lots of fun to play) despite the spelling aberrations. ;-}
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby Optimus Prime on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:10 am

The different spellings may very well be on purpose due to copyright issues.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby rebelman on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:14 am

Optimus Prime wrote:The different spellings may very well be on purpose due to copyright issues.

actually I don't think so - if i'm not mistaken permission was granted to produce this map and hence there are no such issues.
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby Enigma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:10 pm

joystickgenie wrote:I donā€™t think any change in game play is necessary. The game feels pretty balanced to me and that is more important then trying to base bonuses on story relevance.

amen. this is one of the best balanced maps in the collection. dont screw it up.
Do you need an excuse to have a war? I mean, who for? Can't you just say "You got lots of cash and land, but I've got a big sword, so divy up right now, chop chop."
Terry Pratchet
Lieutenant Enigma

Re: Map of Middle-Earth [Quenched]

Postby scottp on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:05 am

I think I may have found a bug in this map? Certainly a "Bad Behavior" although I guess it could be a one-time thing.

I just took my turn in game 2672021

after the following sequence:
2008-06-24 07:37:39 - scottp attacked Ered Lithui from Sea of Ruhn and conquered it from Wellington_
2008-06-24 07:37:50 - scottp attacked Dagorland from Ered Lithui and conquered it from Wellington_
2008-06-24 07:38:04 - scottp attacked Mt. Doom from Dagorland and conquered it from ElijahThomas
2008-06-24 07:38:14 - scottp attacked Ithilien from Mt. Doom and conquered it from ElijahThomas

I had attacked Ithilien from Mt. Doom with 4 armies and moved 3 armies total onto Ithilien. I then decided to end attacks. I got the message "You cannot make any Fortifications" or something to that effect.

I WANTED to fortify 2 armies from Ithilien onto Dagorland, which is clearly "linked" to Ithilien.

The game is [Game Type: Doubles, Play Order: Sequential, Bonus Cards: Flat Rate, Fortifications: Unlimited, Fog of War: No] so I SHOULD have been able to move those two armies to any connecting territory, including Sea of Ruhn, Ered Lithui, Dagorland or Mt. Doom.

I played this turn using IE 6 with no plug-ins or add-ons or scripts running.

Was this a one-time hiccup with the server, or is there a problem with the map? thanks!
Major scottp

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:40 am

scottp wrote:I think I may have found a bug in this map? Certainly a "Bad Behavior" although I guess it could be a one-time thing.

I just took my turn in game 2672021

after the following sequence:
2008-06-24 07:37:39 - scottp attacked Ered Lithui from Sea of Ruhn and conquered it from Wellington_
2008-06-24 07:37:50 - scottp attacked Dagorland from Ered Lithui and conquered it from Wellington_
2008-06-24 07:38:04 - scottp attacked Mt. Doom from Dagorland and conquered it from ElijahThomas
2008-06-24 07:38:14 - scottp attacked Ithilien from Mt. Doom and conquered it from ElijahThomas

I had attacked Ithilien from Mt. Doom with 4 armies and moved 3 armies total onto Ithilien. I then decided to end attacks. I got the message "You cannot make any Fortifications" or something to that effect.

I WANTED to fortify 2 armies from Ithilien onto Dagorland, which is clearly "linked" to Ithilien.

The game is [Game Type: Doubles, Play Order: Sequential, Bonus Cards: Flat Rate, Fortifications: Unlimited, Fog of War: No] so I SHOULD have been able to move those two armies to any connecting territory, including Sea of Ruhn, Ered Lithui, Dagorland or Mt. Doom.

I played this turn using IE 6 with no plug-ins or add-ons or scripts running.

Was this a one-time hiccup with the server, or is there a problem with the map? thanks!

The border between Mt Doom to Ithilien is 1 way - this means that troops can only move from Mt Doom - to Ithilien - not the other way round - this affects attacking and fortifying.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby scottp on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:26 pm

ah... Failed to notice the arrow! #-o

Thanks for the explanation!
Major scottp

Postby Nous-irons on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:22 pm

Wait -- why did this map get replaced by Centerscape?!
Sergeant Nous-irons

Postby Blitzaholic on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:40 pm

Nous-irons wrote:Wait -- why did this map get replaced by Centerscape?!

possible copyright issues, hopefully they can and will revamp it soon.
General Blitzaholic

Postby gdeangel on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:56 pm

I always wondered about how this one cleared copyright. I assumed that the Tolkien "jacket map" from the book had gone into public domain but actually I see it was only written on the 1950's.... um, so that's really bad. There is no way you are going to be able to revamp this map without some permissions, and since we now have the mega-media empire of LOTR, including officially licensed maps, I doubt that permissions without substantial royalties (that is if Hasbro doesn't already have an exclusive license) are in the cards.

Lame.

Who else thinks wicked was behind this?
Sergeant gdeangel

Postby The Chosen One on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:15 pm

gdeangel wrote: Who else thinks wicked was behind this?

Twill has a lot more enemies with a lot more power and a lot more legal savvy than wicked. And lack & cc are getting caught in the war. Still lack's dad's letter to a former cc'er (NOT wicked) was just off any scale of belief... it was a guarantee that whomever this C*C*B-a-n-n-e-d poster is, they were going to notify Hasbro. Some people just refuse to be intimidated, so don't threaten legal action unless you're willing to face it. And all this scrambling around now, just makes everybody profiting from this site ...well it just looks really really bad, esp since so many of the older threads talk about a variety of copyright infringements. I truly hope CC survives this as I love to play the game, but with the number of premium members at $25 bucks a year...well you do the math...Hasbro's accountants may well be on their way to Canada now
Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light
Private 1st Class The Chosen One

Postby Deathwind on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:29 pm

so we can't play middle earth anymore!!!!! My two best maps are now both gone!!!!I hate this!!Why can't people just let us play and have fun??
Captain Deathwind

Postby gdeangel on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:34 pm

[quote="The Chosen One"][quote="gdeangel"]

Actually I doubt that its worth Hasbro's while. Cease and desist letters are basically a no-cost way to size up the enemy. It's the starting point for negotiation.

On the other hand, the Middle Earth/Tolien estate people would probably more concerned with this because of the value of their other licenses and the risk to them of their revenue stream drying up elsewhere would be the kicker to come down hard.

So I think the Middle Earth one is not coming back soon...
Sergeant gdeangel

Postby Deathwind on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:39 pm

I hate tolkiens people
Captain Deathwind

Postby Night Strike on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:41 pm

If you would like to discuss the Centerscape map, please visit the appropriate thread.

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=66636
Major Night Strike

New Middle Earth map

Postby Incandenza on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:37 am

I know this takes a major back seat to getting Classic up and running again, but I figured I'd throw this out there. I've always enjoyed the map and would like to see it properly revived.

One thing that stuck out at me in the development thread was this:

AndyDufresne wrote:This map, as created by Tic and MrCon, is an 'original' work inspired by the the 'real' version.

I imagine the decision to essentially do away with middle earth was an issue with Hasbro as opposed to one with the Tolkien estate (god forbid that one would have to involve Warner Bros). If that's the case, then can the map be revamped so as to eliminate Hasbro issues? Can we perhaps make a deal with the Tolkien people? Did ConfigT ever contact the Tolkien people in the first place? Could perhaps a map with identical gameplay be set in Beleriand? What precisely are Hasbro's rights as regards a map of a land to which they can claim no copyright or intellectual property? (tho I suppose that last one applies equally to classic, as no one holds the copyright to planet earth)
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Re: New Middle Earth map

Postby gho on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:54 am

I was more upset about this one dying than the classic. Even though I haven't seen any of the Lord of the Rings movies or read the books it was my favourite map because it was so well balanced (you could win from so many continents unlike classic and oceania) and had great aesthetics. Hope to see this one back, hopefully somewhere close to how good it was previously.
Last edited by gho on Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant gho

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:06 am

gho wrote:I was more upset about this one dying than classic, i thought it was the best balanced map (gameplay) and you could win from most continents (unlike Classic and Oceania); it had great aesthetics, one of the best. Ive never seen the Lord of the Rings movies or read the books, but it still was my favourite map.

I was more upset about this one dying than the classic. Even though I haven't seen any of the Lord of the Rings movies or read the books it was my favourite map because it was so well balanced (you could win from so many continents unlike classic and oceania) and had great aesthetics. Hope to see this one back, hopefully somewhere close to how good it was previously.

really? why did you say the same thing twice, just reworded?

i don't get it. you decided to state your case in various forms, but i want to know your motivations...
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby gho on Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:27 am

My bad, i was drafting my response and forgot to delete the first draft.
Lieutenant gho

Old Middle Earth

Postby hecter on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:12 pm

If anybody has got a copy of the old middle earth map (small) and/or the xml, it'd make me very happy...
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Re: Old Middle Earth

Postby MrBenn on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:13 pm

I don't know if they're still in the map development thread?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Old Middle Earth

Postby hecter on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:36 pm

MrBenn wrote:I don't know if they're still in the map development thread?

Checked, the links haven't been "mod edited" out but they're all broken.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas