Conquer Club

I Play Winner/Get In Line

Tournaments that are no longer happening

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

I Play Winner/Get In Line

Postby Ditocoaf on Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:04 pm

>"I Play Winner/Get In Line" Continuous Tournament<

Freemiums welcome!
NOTE: While the tournament may be "continuous," you will not necessarily be playing unendingly. As usual, you might only play one game, playing more if you win.

>----------✪-✪-✪----------<

Rules:

1. There will only be one game at a time.
  2. This tournament will be continuous and always open for sign ups. New sign ups will get in the back of the "line" of players.
  3. The winner of the previous game will take on the next challenger(s) in line.
  4. The winner of the previous game will choose the settings of the next game (including the map).
  5. Any settings are allowed, but if you remain the champion for multiple rounds you must change at least one element of the game each time.
  6. After losing a game, you may get in the back of the line again if you wish.
  7. If you choose to play a team game, the player(s) next in line will become your teammate(s), and remain at the front of the line if you win.
  8. A champion cannot have the same player as a teammate in any of the team game types (2v2,2v2v2,3v3,4v4) more than once, and so must eventually compete against that player.
  9. A freemium may reach the front of the line and not have an open slot. In this case, he will be moved backward in line as far as necessary to fill the next requested game by the champion.
  10. After 70 games, the arcade closes and everyone leaves. Anybody left in line unfortunately doesn't get to play. The player leading the scoreboard with the longest victory streak is declared the ultimate victor!

I will be keeping track of who remains the champion for the longest, in a top-10 style list. If you choose to play a more than 2-player game, the multiple opponents will be counted as multiple victories.

Scoreboard:

Stephen Wayne: 3 victories (1 round)

Line: (20 players long)

> "Classic Art" ✪ ④ ⇓ ➙ + ☀ <
Stephen Wayne
joe cool 360
smwhitey
switchblade
White Moose
werdna

Ditocoaf
flabio
Evan Thomas
mamado
mangus
noretreat
PJDH
elmerfudd
L M S
ctgottapee
linder91
Neoteny
denominator
Hands of Blue

Game History:

Initializing Game >Game 3632171<
"Classic Art" ✪ ④ ⇓ ➙ + ☀
Hands of Blue V sensfan V denominator V Stephen Wayne

Round 1 >Ongoing< Game 3771964
"Oasis" ❸❸ ⇓ ✘ + ☀
Stephen Wayne & joe Cool 360 & smwhitey V switchblade & White Moose & werdna

Game History Key
Bold Name = Defending Champion
Underlined Name(s) = Winner(s)
✪/☠/♁ = Standard/Terminator/Assassin
➁ - ⑧ = # of players in singles game
❷❷/❷❷❷/❷❷❷❷/❸❸/❹❹ = 2v2/2v2v2/2v2v2v2/3v3/4v4
⇓/⇔ = Sequential/Freestyle
✘/➙/➚ = No Spoils/Flat Rate/Escalating
−/+/∞ = Adjacent/Chained/Unlimited
☀/☁ = Fog of War Off/Fog of War On
Last edited by Ditocoaf on Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:32 am, edited 71 times in total.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Re: "I Play Winner, Get In Line" >0/4 to get started<

Postby joe cool 360 on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:07 pm

This sounds pretty awesome, unfortunately I'm freemium and all my spots are full, but when I get an open one, I'm in.
Until then, just keep me in the back of the line.
:-^ random smiley alert!

8-[ RANDOM SMILEY ALERT
Corporal joe cool 360

Re: "I Play Winner, Get In Line" >0/4 to get started<

Postby Ditocoaf on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:39 pm

joe cool 360 wrote:This sounds pretty awesome, unfortunately I'm freemium and all my spots are full, but when I get an open one, I'm in.
Until then, just keep me in the back of the line.
:-^ random smiley alert!

Ah, thank you. You've also reminded me that I should add a freemium policy to the rules.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Re: "I Play Winner/Get In Line" Continuous Tournament >Signups<

Postby Ditocoaf on Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:55 am

Ugh... all I need is four players to get this started. What could be so wrong about this idea? A lot of thought went into this...

Postby Hands of Blue on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:22 pm

I'm totally in. I rock at playground rules!
Sergeant 1st Class Hands of Blue

Postby sensfan on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:12 pm

in

My TPA tournament, Chief Trio, is up. Join it now:http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=159516

I cover the TPA Wrap for the CC Newsletter.
Cook sensfan

Location: In front of my computer sitting on a comfy computer chair

Re: IPW/GIL Continuous Tournament >2/4 needed to initialize<

Postby Ditocoaf on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:08 pm

Hands of Blue wrote:I'm totally in. I rock at playground rules!
sensfan wrote:in
Glad to have both of you. Just two more needed to get this thing started!

Postby dittoeevee8888 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:50 pm

Ditocoaf wrote:

Actually, to get this thing started, I believe you need a minimum of 16, ditocoaf.
Sergeant 1st Class dittoeevee8888

Postby Ditocoaf on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:29 am

dittoeevee8888 wrote:
Ditocoaf wrote:

Actually, to get this thing started, I believe you need a minimum of 16, ditocoaf.

This tournament will have well over 16 players... but only the first four sign-ups are needed to begin the first game, since the games happen one at a time. I knew about the 16 number... am I supposed to meet that number before starting regardless? Because the 16th person in line will just be doing a lot of waiting...

I read the tournament handbook, and know all the rules... I just wasn't sure if this was an infraction. Should I ask for a special exception (since this will be a large tournament as it goes on)?

Re: IPW/GIL Continuous Tournament >Signups<

Postby denominator on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:26 pm

Sure, I'll get in line.
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

Postby Ditocoaf on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:40 pm

denominator wrote:Sure, I'll get in line.

Awesome! Welcome.

Postby Stephan Wayne on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:42 pm

i like the concept put me in please
Corporal Stephan Wayne

Postby Ditocoaf on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:09 am

Stephen Wayne wrote:i like the concept put me in please

Awesome, glad to have you. I have enough to start the first game... now let's see if I can get the privileges yet, or if I'll have to wait until the line reaches 16 people.

Postby smwhitey on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:20 am

ill wait in line.
Corporal smwhitey

Postby Steelhorse on Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:08 am

Hi Dit,

I've read through your tourney and commend you on your originality and creativity. It's clear that you put a lot of thought and effort in to organizing this and putting it together.

I just have 2 concerns:

1. The 16 person rule- It really does need to be followed in order to be granted priveleges.
2. The length of the tourney

So here is what I propose. First get your 16 people. I know they may be waiting awhile to play as it is currently structured, but in keeping with the spirit of the rules, we need to have the minimum amount of players up front. How you organize your games from there and when they play is up to you as long as the tourney has continuous progression.

Next, I would strongly suggest you define and ending point. A tournament that goes on forever isn't really a tournament...it's a mini-series. And, even Cheers had to come to an end someday. Clearly define an end to the tournament so your players have a clear objective of what is needed to win and so they know what kind of time frame they are committing to.

I think once those two things are achieved we can still maintain the spirit of the Tournament Rules and the creativity of your tournament.

Steel
Lieutenant Steelhorse

Postby denominator on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:02 am

Steelhorse wrote:Next, I would strongly suggest you define and ending point. A tournament that goes on forever isn't really a tournament...it's a mini-series. And, even Cheers had to come to an end someday. Clearly define an end to the tournament so your players have a clear objective of what is needed to win and so they know what kind of time frame they are committing to.

I agree. I like the idea of an ongoing tournament, but I do think there needs to be some definition of an endpoint so there can eventually be a winner.

Some other tournaments define their winners based on a person winning X number of games. So I suggest that you say if the "king" wins X number of games, he wins. This means that your tournament could go on forever, or it could end rather quickly. Since the minimum number of people required to get privileges is 16, and the first person in line could choose a 1v1 game over and over again, 15 games is the minimum number required to guarantee that everybody gets to play.

That's just my suggestion. Take it or leave it or adapt it as you please.
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

Postby Ditocoaf on Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:05 pm

Steelhorse wrote:Hi Dit,

I've read through your tourney and commend you on your originality and creativity. It's clear that you put a lot of thought and effort in to organizing this and putting it together.

I just have 2 concerns:

1. The 16 person rule- It really does need to be followed in order to be granted priveleges.
2. The length of the tourney

So here is what I propose. First get your 16 people. I know they may be waiting awhile to play as it is currently structured, but in keeping with the spirit of the rules, we need to have the minimum amount of players up front. How you organize your games from there and when they play is up to you as long as the tourney has continuous progression.

Next, I would strongly suggest you define and ending point. A tournament that goes on forever isn't really a tournament...it's a mini-series. And, even Cheers had to come to an end someday. Clearly define an end to the tournament so your players have a clear objective of what is needed to win and so they know what kind of time frame they are committing to.

I think once those two things are achieved we can still maintain the spirit of the Tournament Rules and the creativity of your tournament.

Steel

Okay... so I'll wait for the 16 people, hopefully that won't be too long. Then, in regards to an ending: I'll limit it to a set number of rounds; say, 50. After round 50 is finished, there'll be one or three games for whoever remains in line; allowing anybody to play who hasn't yet, and allowing those who have a chance to rack up some last victories before the competition closes. Then, I'll declare whoever leading the stats to be the final winner. If there are 8 or less people in line at the end, I'll allow the current champion to choose the settings for a game between all of them; if there are more, then I'll hold two or more games with the same settings as the initializing game, and let the champion of the last regular round choose the settings for a game between the winners (even if he/she isn't one of them).

...I'll go type this up more clearly...

Re: IPW/GIL Continuous Tournament >Signups 6/16 to begin<

Postby switchblade on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:21 pm

id like in
Cook switchblade

Re: IPW/GIL Continuous Tournament >Signups 6/16 to begin<

Postby Ditocoaf on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:18 pm

switchblade wrote:id like in

...and in, you shall be.

Postby Ditocoaf on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:35 pm

denominator wrote:
Steelhorse wrote:Next, I would strongly suggest you define and ending point. A tournament that goes on forever isn't really a tournament...it's a mini-series. And, even Cheers had to come to an end someday. Clearly define an end to the tournament so your players have a clear objective of what is needed to win and so they know what kind of time frame they are committing to.

I agree. I like the idea of an ongoing tournament, but I do think there needs to be some definition of an endpoint so there can eventually be a winner.

Some other tournaments define their winners based on a person winning X number of games. So I suggest that you say if the "king" wins X number of games, he wins. This means that your tournament could go on forever, or it could end rather quickly. Since the minimum number of people required to get privileges is 16, and the first person in line could choose a 1v1 game over and over again, 15 games is the minimum number required to guarantee that everybody gets to play.

That's just my suggestion. Take it or leave it or adapt it as you please.

Hmm.... I just saw this; don't know how I missed it. I like the idea a lot, but there's one problem... I have no idea what I might set "X" to be. I could probably figure out after a while, but I need to determine this before the game starts.

NS and/or Steelhorse: Would it be okay if I set the game to be 70 rounds, and whoever leads the scoreboard with the longest win streak at that point, wins the game? This would mean that whoever remains in line, won't get to play... but it also means a clean and clear break. Otherwise, I'd have to follow this plan, just to include everybody:
>Endgame begins once round 70 is complete

>If there are 8 or less players remaining:
--->The champion will choose settings for one last game, with the limitation that it must include all remaining players.
--->Whomever wins this round earns twice as many "victories" as they normally would; however, these extra victories are not considered in regards to the longest win streak.
--->A final "special award" for the tournament will be determined by the following formula: (number of victories) + (win streak • 1.5)
--->The player with the longest win streak, the player with the most overall victories, and the player who earns the "special award" will all be announced as winners of the tournament.

>If there are 9 or more players remaining:
---> Two or more semifinal games with the settings: [Classic Art, Standard, Sequential, Flat Rate, Chained and Sunny] will be made, to split up the remaining players.
---> The winners of each of these semifinals will go on to compete in the final match, with settings to be determined by the winner of round 70 (whether or not he/she is in the final).
--->Whomever wins the final earns twice as many "victories" as they normally would; however, these extra victories are not considered in regards to the longest win streak.
--->A final "special award" for the tournament will be determined by the following formula: (number of victories) + (win streak • 1.5)
--->The player with the longest win streak, the player with the most overall victories, and the player who earns the "special award" will all be announced as winners of the tournament.

In any case, I think I like the idea of limiting it to a certain number of games; this encourages people to start games larger than 1v1 in order to earn more victories in the smallest number of games possible.

Re: IPW/GIL Continuous Tournament >Signups 7/16 to begin<

Postby joe cool 360 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:36 am

Alright, that took a little while, but i finally have a free spot
put me in, coach, i'm ready to play!!

8-[ RANDOM SMILEY ALERT
Corporal joe cool 360

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:27 am

joe cool 360 wrote:Alright, that took a little while, but i finally have a free spot
put me in, coach, i'm ready to play!!

Cool. You're first in line after the first game ends, and that game might not start for another week or so... so you might actually want to use that spot while you wait.

Postby White Moose on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:20 pm

Sounds like an intresting tournament.

As the champion. Will you be able to pick your own map? It wasn't really specified. But it was specified that you could change the settings, which is good.

So, if you get to choose your own map as the champion, then im in. If you don't, then unfortunatly i wont be in.

I might have further questions when i get the first answer. So please PM me the answer so i get it, might forget about this one.

Thanks, and good luck with the tournament.
Highest Score: 3374
Major White Moose

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:31 pm

White Moose wrote:Sounds like an intresting tournament.

As the champion. Will you be able to pick your own map? It wasn't really specified. But it was specified that you could change the settings, which is good.

So, if you get to choose your own map as the champion, then im in. If you don't, then unfortunatly i wont be in.

I might have further questions when i get the first answer. So please PM me the answer so i get it, might forget about this one.

I consider the map to be one of the settings, yes, so the champion gets to pick. I'll PM you, and add you to the list for now.

Postby White Moose on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:35 pm

Ditocoaf wrote:
White Moose wrote:Sounds like an intresting tournament.

I consider the map to be one of the settings, yes, so the champion gets to pick. I'll PM you, and add you to the list for now.

Thanks for the quick answer.

Got another question.

Will you be able to change the map for each new opponent you get? (hope you get what i mean)

Thanks
Highest Score: 3374
Major White Moose

Next

Return to Abandoned