Conquer Club

Holy Roman Empire 1648

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Holy Roman Empire 1648 [I,Gp] v36 18oct2008

Postby yeti_c on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:11 am

pamoa wrote:You mean only in small map ?

Could be done in both for consistency?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Re: Holy Roman Empire 1648 [D,Gp,Gr] v36 18oct2008

Postby pamoa on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:14 am

De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Re: Holy Roman Empire 1648 [D,Gp,Gr] v36 4nov2008

Postby yeti_c on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:46 am

Can you upload some army co-ordinate test images please?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby pamoa on Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:47 am

De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby Jumentum on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:00 am

maybe the Bishops' cannons could be a different color (white maybe?), cause it doesnt really fit their groove in purple
Corporal 1st Class Jumentum

Postby grayhawke on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:36 am

Jumentum wrote:maybe the Bishops' cannons could be a different color (white maybe?), cause it doesnt really fit their groove in purple

I must disagree as 4 colours are permitted for a Bishop's vestment: white, red, green and purple/violet. White is used for Austrians (from the austrian flag), red for the electors as it is one of the 3 colours associated with the HRE (along with black and gold/yellow) and yellow is used for the Spanish (again from the flag).

I guess on this argument the Bishops' cannons could be green but I feel the current colour looks just fine.
Cadet grayhawke

Postby pamoa on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:46 am

Jumentum wrote:maybe the Bishops' cannons could be a different colour (white maybe?), cause it doesn't really fit their groove in purple

grayhawke wrote:I must disagree as 4 colours are permitted for a Bishop's vestment: white, red, green and purple/violet. White is used for Austrians (from the Austrian flag), red for the electors as it is one of the 3 colours associated with the HRE (along with black and gold/yellow) and yellow is used for the Spanish (again from the flag).
I guess on this argument the Bishops' cannons could be green but I feel the current colour looks just fine.

I love this very well argued answer about the choice you made when you were working on the map :D
Cadet pamoa

Postby cairnswk on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:07 pm

Pamoa, please forgive and take no notice if you want, but i've had a look at the large map, and feel some placement changes would benefit it as below...also not marked on the map but would you consider moving Burgund-Kreis regional name off Lothringen.
Sachsenkries...can you try light purple on this name as it stands out more than the other regional names

Click image to enlarge.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby pamoa on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:00 am

Holy shit your coming late, very late indeed. :evil:
But I'll what I can do
Cadet pamoa

Postby cairnswk on Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:40 am

pamoa wrote:Holy shit your coming late, very late indeed. :evil:
But I'll what I can do

Pamoa...this is not payback by any means, but i do apologise. ;)
I have had to endure this lateness aspect many times in my maps from commenters...i usually make a cut-off after several weeks in Final Forge. Until then it is still up for change, and as a mapmaker you must be aware of that. That is the nature of the foundry. Do consider these change as you have an excellent map.
I am not telling you this to give you extra work, but do realise it will assist your map to look more professional and you will alleviate some changes that others might call for also.
You have been a big support of my maps; I return the favour not by being critical but offering good well-meant advice. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby pamoa on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:46 am

I know you came in goodwill.
It's just it made me mad when I saw you just came in late and mess all around the map like a big clumsy elephant... :lol:
No offence, thanks for commenting.
Cadet pamoa

Re: Holy Roman Empire 1648 [D,Gp,Gr] v37 10nov2008

Postby pamoa on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:26 am

v37 large map new features: river contour, terrain legend position, armies and text position, XML also updated
Click image to enlarge.
Cadet pamoa

Re: Holy Roman Empire 1648 [D,Gp,Gr] v37 10nov2008

Postby cairnswk on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:55 pm

Pamoa
Forgive for being a pedant...but can you move the army digits off the Burguind Kreis text...perhaps beside Spanische NBiederlande
Otherwise, looks very good. :)
Private cairnswk

Re: Holy Roman Empire 1648 [D,Gp,Gr] v37 11nov2008

Postby pamoa on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:13 am

Thanks, I made an error in XML coding. I did change the small map coordinates instead of the large one.
Cadet pamoa

Re: Holy Roman Empire 1648 [D,Gp,Gr] v37 11nov2008

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:51 pm

list]
            Final Forge
[/list]

---The Holy Roman Empire Map has reached the ‘Final Forge’ Stage. I've revived this thread from the pits of the Foundry Furnace (okay, maybe not) and have examined the contents. Nearly every major concern has been addressed. If there are any other current concerns, please make your voice heard. If after a reasonable amount of time there has not been any objection or protest, the map will be deemed finished with the 'Foundry Brand' of approval and will be submitted for live play. As long as there is still discussion or posts that have yet to be commented on, the map will remain in Final Forge until said discussion has reached the conclusion that the map has reached its final and polished version.

Post questions and concerns if any.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Re: Holy Roman Empire 1648 v37 11 nov [Final Forge]

Postby asl80 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:57 pm

wow, i know this is late in the game ... but do you think it''s a good idea having the artillery pics very similar colours to the army no.s ... surelly this could turn into a muddle? sorry, no solution suggestion at this stage, other then a different colour set, or make them all diff. guns. and varying in a greyish colour scheme.

but, in any case, congratulations on the ff, the map looks very good. should be an interesting one to play.
Lieutenant asl80

Postby grayhawke on Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:03 pm

asl80 wrote:wow, i know this is late in the game ... but do you think it''s a good idea having the artillery pics very similar colours to the army no.s ... surelly this could turn into a muddle? sorry, no solution suggestion at this stage, other then a different colour set, or make them all diff. guns. and varying in a greyish colour scheme.

but, in any case, congratulations on the ff, the map looks very good. should be an interesting one to play.

Given the range of colours covered by the army numbers Ithink it would be difficult to find a scheme for the guns that could not be described as similar. But i am not sure that any perceived colour similarity is a problem since the symbology is quite distinct: the army numbers are just that, numbers; while the guns are images of field-cannon. Or have I misunderstood your concern? ( always a possibility! :? )

And congratulations to pamoa on making it to the FF. Great work! =D>
Cadet grayhawke

Postby pamoa on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:23 am

Thanks
About gun colour, it is possible that a player playing a bit too fast could make some confusion with armies. But it is more important to have each set of three guns clearly distinguishable from each other and from background. Unfortunately with five different sets this lead to a colour scheme similar to the armies one. Your suggestion about shade of a single colour will lead to a great confusion about which gun is which set by example with the Spaniards. So at least you get a genius inspiration about it during the night, it will stay as it is.
Cadet pamoa

Re: Holy Roman Empire 1648 v37 13 nov [Final Forge]

Postby pamoa on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:24 am

v37 small map new features: river contour, terrain legend position, armies and text position, XML also updated

Last edited by pamoa on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet pamoa

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:41 am

The legend bit didn't move in the small compared to the large?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby pamoa on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:13 am

It did, I just made a mistake and did put v36 :oops: now you have the right one !
Cadet pamoa

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:30 am

pamoa wrote:It did, I just made a mistake and did put v36 :oops: now you have the right one !

I thought I might have a cached version - so I even refreshed too!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Unit_2 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:17 pm

Wow, nice job Pamoa, Sorry I havn't been able to help(pm me if you still want/need some)
Corporal 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby pamoa on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:40 pm

Forza AZ wrote:Subject: [Official] Map XML checks
All is OK now. I will report it to Andy.

This map may get is last stamp soon ...
Cadet pamoa

Postby pamoa on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:34 pm

Still waiting for XML stamp and/or for any other last days comments
Cadet pamoa

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas