Conquer Club

iGoogle Conquer Club Gadget

Archival storage to keep things organized and uncluttered. Can't find what you need? Search for old topics here.

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

iGoogle Conquer Club Gadget

Postby SammyIAm on Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:23 pm

I've created a (fairly rudimentary) gadget for iGoogle (Google's personalized start page).

gConquer will display a list of the games you are currently participating in (based on your RSS feed), and color code them based on status (Ready, Playing, Waiting, and Eliminated). A link to each game is provided, and mousing over the link shows the time and date at which the current turn will end. Additionally you can add multiple users to keep tabs on your friends' games.

You can add gConquer to your start page by clicking here:

A big thanks to Janiv for making the OS X Dashboard widget that inspired me to make my own javascript utility.

The source is available as part of a Google Code project. I would ask though, that rather than distributing modified versions of the code that if anyone has any suggested changes they post them here (or let me know and I can make you a member of the Google Code project so you can make changes yourself).

Note: Due to limitations of the Google Gadget API, gConquer will only list the first 100 games from your RSS feed.
Last edited by SammyIAm on Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cadet SammyIAm

Re: iGoogle Conquer Club Gadget

Postby lancehoch on Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:12 pm

What does it do?
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby jayde on Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:06 pm

I added it but all i see is a blank white square after providing my username.
Sergeant 1st Class jayde

Postby SammyIAm on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:01 am

lancehoch - I was so excited I finally got it to work, I seem to have omitted a description of what it actually does, heh. It shows a list of the games you are currently in (color coded by status), and provides a link to each game. Additionally, it will tell you the time at which the next turn will end, and let you choose between multiple users (to keep tabs on friends).

jayde - What browser are you using? I've only tested it using Safari 3.2 and Firefox,there might be issues with older browsers, or IE that I don't know about.
Cadet SammyIAm

Postby jayde on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:10 pm

Firefox 3.0.4. I also tried IE and Google Chrome with no luck either.
here is what I get:

Sergeant 1st Class jayde

Postby SammyIAm on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:17 pm

Aha, well, I figured out the problem. It seem's Google new Gadget API isn't actually supported by anything but the developer sandbox right now (would have been nice to know). I'm working on changing all the new-code to work with the old API, so it might be a bit. Thanks for pointing out the problem though jayde, I'd never have caught that myself.
Cadet SammyIAm

Postby SammyIAm on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:39 pm

Alright, as it turns out, making the gadget legacy-compatible was actually fairly simple (just used _IG_Function, instead of gadgets.Function (for those of you who are curious)). Unfortunately, iGoogle caches your gadgets so the fixed version won't appear for anyone who's used it for a while (Anyone just now adding the gadget should be fine).

There is a solution, but it requires an extra step. You can add the "My Gadgets" gadget by clicking on that link, and then uncheck the "Cached" box next to gconquer.xml. This will get a fresh copy of gConquer instead of using a cached version.

If you get a chance to try that jayde, let me know if it works for you. Also, my apologies to anyone else who's tried to use gConquer and run into problems.
Cadet SammyIAm

Postby jayde on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:10 pm

Yes that works, thanks.
Sergeant 1st Class jayde

Postby homes32 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:53 pm

I normally use the conquerTell extension for keeping track of my games, but I find the ability to quickly switch users quite useful for babysitting
-homes32

Highest Score: 1850
Lieutenant homes32

Return to Tool Archives