Conquer Club

Oasis [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Oasis [Quenched]

Postby Hawkeye Pierce on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:15 am

There is a loop in this map , wich makes it unfair to play. the hold the 1 turn grand oasis has the loop . wait untill 5 min till end of 24 h then take grand oasis after that 24h ends and login again and you won this map in 6min.
Hope you understand my msg grtz Hawkeye #-o #-o
Major Hawkeye Pierce

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:29 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:There is a loop in this map , wich makes it unfair to play. the hold the 1 turn grand oasis has the loop . wait untill 5 min till end of 24 h then take grand oasis after that 24h ends and login again and you won this map in 6min.
Hope you understand my msg grtz Hawkeye #-o #-o

Classic freestyle objective tactic - works the same for continents too.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Hawkeye Pierce on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:11 am

I see but continent doesn't win te game imediatly , this one does hold grand oasis for 1 round and you win. 1 round should be longer then 2 min I think . can't this be changed into hold till all players took their turn ? would be more ballanced . Like the map by the way
Major Hawkeye Pierce

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:24 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:I see but continent doesn't win te game imediatly , this one does hold grand oasis for 1 round and you win. 1 round should be longer then 2 min I think . can't this be changed into hold till all players took their turn ? would be more ballanced . Like the map by the way

that isn't possible with the XML tools we have, sorry.

Xanthir wrote:I'm playing the map right now, and we're enjoying it. However, the fact that deserts lose 1 troop per turn doesn't seem like it *does* anything, because it won't return to neutral if you leave it with a single troop. We can still strike out across the desert all we want, and maintain easy fortify chains across the area.

I suggest that if you have 1 troop on a desert when your turn comes around, it is destroyed and reverts to 1 neutral. If you want to be *truly* evil, have it revert to its original neutral army.

Same with grand oasis, obviously. If you have 3 troops or less in one of the squares, it returns to neutral. Even if you let deserts stay at 1 when they reset, grand oasis definitely should reset to 6 if it kills you.

I like it leaving 1s around the map, not neutrals. Without them, fortifying would be really annoying....
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby Hawkeye Pierce on Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:52 pm

NP , thnx for the answer .
Major Hawkeye Pierce

Postby OliverFA on Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:00 pm

Hello!

Don't know if somebody already reported this, but I think that some of those territories are wrong: Desert 49 [-1] Desert 63 [-1] Desert 64 [-1] Desert 81 [-1]

I say this because in game http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?gam ... full_log=Y BOB is saying that blue will get 2 armies next turn, including -1 from Region Bonus.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Private OliverFA

Postby OliverFA on Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:18 pm

And the same mistake happens with desert 09
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:

Private OliverFA

Postby oaktown on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:04 am

OliverFA wrote:Hello!

Don't know if somebody already reported this, but I think that some of those territories are wrong: Desert 49 [-1] Desert 63 [-1] Desert 64 [-1] Desert 81 [-1]

I say this because in game http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?gam ... full_log=Y BOB is saying that blue will get 2 armies next turn, including -1 from Region Bonus.

I'm not following you Oliver... perhaps the confusion stems from the fact that BOB doesn't distinguish between a desert territory with two armies that will take a loss, and one with one army that won't take a loss.
Captain oaktown

Postby OliverFA on Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:44 am

Oh! Maybe that's the case and is a BOB thing. I will check more carefully and post here the final result (and if it's a BOB error, post also the error report inthe BOB thread).

My Maps:

Private OliverFA

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:15 pm

OliverFA wrote:Oh! Maybe that's the case and is a BOB thing. I will check more carefully and post here the final result (and if it's a BOB error, post also the error report inthe BOB thread).

it probably is a BOB error.
everything on the map works like it is supposed to, so I don't think its a map problem.

Postby yeti_c on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:56 am

OliverFA wrote:Hello!

I think you'll find that it is 100% correct - but you are reading it wrong.

At the moment - BOB says - he is getting 3 for the next turn - yet has 2 territories with -1 - because he only has 1 army on these territories - then it knows that he doesn't lose any of them.

The Continents Display still lists them so that you know which territories will lose you armies...

You'll notice that when you get to the Grand Oasis - which has more than -1 - it even calculates the difference between the negative bonus to -1 and still gives the correct answer.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Songsting on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:28 am

Just wanted to say that I've played a few games on your Oasis map, and I absolutely love it. The gameplay and map style is quite different to most other maps, and is a pleasure to play because of the change in tactics required. Well done on a fantastic effort, wcaclimbing!
Captain Songsting

Postby OliverFA on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:20 pm

yeti_c wrote:At the moment - BOB says - he is getting 3 for the next turn - yet has 2 territories with -1 - because he only has 1 army on these territories - then it knows that he doesn't lose any of them.

The Continents Display still lists them so that you know which territories will lose you armies...

You'll notice that when you get to the Grand Oasis - which has more than -1 - it even calculates the difference between the negative bonus to -1 and still gives the correct answer.

C.

I am afraid that either there is a mistake in BOB, a strange case not contemplated yet, or I am very ofuscated with that subject. Look at these images:

As you can see, BOB is saying that I will get 8 armies (9-1) but I will get 9 armies. So it is counting 1 army wrong.

Of course, I have absolutely no interest in saying that BOB is not working. On the contrary, it is a really good script that I always use (in fact I use Internet Explorer for normal Internet browsing and Firefox for CC so I can use BOB) I am just trying to point a possible bug that can be solved to make BOB even better.

If I find a pattern in that strange behaviour (or I discover that I am getting crazy and seeing bugs where they aren't) I will inform you.

My Maps:

Private OliverFA

Postby yeti_c on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:56 am

You're about to lose an armie on Desert 9.

Hence 9-1 = 8.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:39 pm

yeti_c wrote:You're about to lose an armie on Desert 9.

Hence 9-1 = 8.

C.

But he has 2 oasis, so +6, and 10 territories, so +3, for a total of 9 to deploy.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby yeti_c on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:21 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:

Hence 9-1 = 8.

C.

But he has 2 oasis, so +6, and 10 territories, so +3, for a total of 9 to deploy.

It isn't the amount of Troops that you are about to deploy... It is the amount of Troops due that turn.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:05 pm

yeti_c wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:

Hence 9-1 = 8.

C.

It isn't the amount of Troops that you are about to deploy... It is the amount of Troops due that turn.

C.

Oh. Then the number is correct. But wouldn't the number of troops you get to deploy be a more useful number?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby MrBenn on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:25 pm

Looks like conversation is wandering into BOB territory here... I'd suggest continuing BOB chat in yeti's thread, and leaving this one for the Oasis map ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Oasis game ending too soon.

Postby campkev on Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:38 am

Concise description:
  • Oasis game ending too soon. We were playing the Oasis game and it ended after a player held the Center Three Oasises (Oassii?) for only one turn.

Specifics:
  • Game Id: 3741889
  • First captured in Turn 9
  • Captured by someone else in Turn 10.
  • Game ended as soon as turn 12 started.
Cadet campkev

Re: Oasis game ending too soon.

Postby The Neon Peon on Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:52 am

That is how the Oasis map works. You either eliminate your opponents, or hold the three grand oasii (same question on spelling).
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:31 pm

yep.
If you are holding all three parts of the Grand Oasis when you start your next turn, you win.
Thats exactly how its supposed to work, no bugs there.

Postby pepperonibread on Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:10 pm

Wikipedia says it's oases.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby campkev on Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:13 pm

It looks like I need to submit a bug report on my reading skills. I could have sworn it said that you had to hold it for three turns. But I looked at the rules again and I completely misread it. D@#%it. I could have won that game if I had read it right
Cadet campkev

Postby Marshes on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:37 am

Fwiw, even though you were originally confused about how to end the game. I do agree the game ends to quick, specially in freestyle.
The neutral armies should be beefed up in the middle imho or you should have to be able to hold them for 1 full round not 10seconds of one round.

Great map though.
Captain Marshes

Postby Thezzaruz on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:49 am

Marshes wrote: I do agree the game ends to quick, specially in freestyle.

Victory conditions and the freestyle setting (especially in speed games) ain't a good match of formats. It's just something one needs to know.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas