Conquer Club

Consolidate map list [Done]

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Consolidate map list [Done]

Postby Stephan Wayne on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:22 pm

dude this totally sucks i loved the pictures some times i pick a map because of the look
Corporal Stephan Wayne

Postby LB Ninja on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:30 pm

ok yes this is a lot more organized but the old way was a lot better to me... i liked to beable to just go down and look at the maps.. plus when i first joined the site thats what really got me was seeing all the variety of maps the site had to offer.. i really hope this gets discussed some more and maybe have a poll to see what the majority of the people on the site want
Major LB Ninja

Postby cvlngnir on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:39 pm

This is a horrible change. I like to be able to look for an interesting map, click on it for full size image and decide if i want to play it. This will most likely stop people from trying new maps. They will stick to the ones they know the name of. Also new visitors have no (easy) way of knowing what the maps look like. Bad decision, imho.
Lieutenant cvlngnir

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:11 pm

you might want to add a small thing that says "hold [ctrl] to select multiple maps".
That just make it easier for people that don't know.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby codytmeg123 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:56 pm

I don't like this new scroll screen......
what happens when you are a visual person and remember things by how they look then you have to scroll through all of them to find the one you want.

it was a good idea but it was not necessary to put it in because it hinders as much as it helps
Cook codytmeg123

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:31 pm

I liked simply putting the games at the top and the other stuff at the bottom.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Pedronicus on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:06 pm

what i like is the breakneck speed of the updates on this site.

suggestion posted by Ghost715 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:56 am

work finished December 23rd 2008!
Highest position 7th. Highest points 3311 All of my graffiti can be found here
Major Pedronicus

Postby demonfork on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:22 pm

so much better! great suggestion!

One thing, Is there a central location that one can go to look at the maps?

This update works great for me because I am already very familiar with the maps, I know already know what I am getting into before I set-up a game.

To someone that is not familiar with the maps, it would be nice to have a place for them where they can still preview the maps (apologies if there is already a central place to do this)
Sergeant 1st Class demonfork

Postby demonfork on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:24 pm

demonfork wrote:so much better! great suggestion!

One thing, Is there a central location that one can go to look at the maps?

This update works great for me because I am already very familiar with the maps, I know already know what I am getting into before I set-up a game.

To someone that is not familiar with the maps, it would be nice to have a place for them where they can still preview the maps (apologies if there is already a central place to do this)

never mind, I see that a preview is now there next to the drop down menu, if i am not mistaken it was not there earlier
Sergeant 1st Class demonfork

Postby lackattack on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:03 pm

cvlngnir wrote:I like to be able to look for an interesting map, click on it for full size image and decide if i want to play it. This will most likely stop people from trying new maps. They will stick to the ones they know the name of. Also new visitors have no (easy) way of knowing what the maps look like.

Ummm... you know you can still use the browse arrow buttons and click the thumbnail to preview?
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Gilligan on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:07 pm

I think a choice would work well for us tournament guys. I can't speak others, but when I create my tons of games, I look at the map to select to see which one I want, not the title itself.
Captain Gilligan

Postby jobatrout on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:34 pm

If it isn't broke don't fix it........what was wrong with the old format?...personally I thought the original format was much more user friendly. I get the idea about changes needed per page space considerations, however, I wonder if the modified format could have been better thought out. Perhaps ideas from members could be solicited and then a concensus choice could be arrived at........Just a thought...if I'm all wet feel free to comment...thank you for your time......Jobatrout
Sergeant jobatrout

Postby TheTeacher on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:17 pm

I think it would be a good idea to have some text saying "Hold Ctrl while selecting to select multiple maps" Also, I suport the idea of an option of showing all the map thumbnails. Options are good.
Captain TheTeacher

Postby Boss_oss_ss on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:20 pm

Natewolfman wrote:
Boss_oss_ss wrote:
lackattack wrote:Why select all maps, when you can select none? Are the instructions not clear?
if you have no preference for a particular criterion, just leave those boxes unchecked

Lol where does it say that :S

"Search for games matching the following criteria (if you have no preference for a particular criterion, just leave those boxes unchecked)."

its above the grey search box

o yeah :oops:
Private 1st Class Boss_oss_ss

Postby Barry Zuckerkorn on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:24 pm

the old way is much better -- you will lose new customers with this new system, as it's seeming complexity will scare them away
Cadet Barry Zuckerkorn

Postby e_i_pi on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:34 pm

BUG

When you select start a game, clicking the drop down list shows the map to the side. If you scroll through the list using the arrow keys, the map does not update
Captain e_i_pi

Postby Boss_oss_ss on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:23 pm

e_i_pi wrote:BUG

When you select start a game, clicking the drop down list shows the map to the side. If you scroll through the list using the arrow keys, the map does not update

Does for me.....
o wait u mean the arrows on the keyboard lol yeah that doesnt work :S
Private 1st Class Boss_oss_ss

Postby Bones2484 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:27 pm

lackattack wrote:
cvlngnir wrote:I like to be able to look for an interesting map, click on it for full size image and decide if i want to play it. This will most likely stop people from trying new maps. They will stick to the ones they know the name of. Also new visitors have no (easy) way of knowing what the maps look like.

Ummm... you know you can still use the browse arrow buttons and click the thumbnail to preview?

Ummm... you know that you just added another step in order to do this?

I miss the thumbnail list.
Major Bones2484

Postby Schlieffen on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:31 pm

This is a good idea, but personally I don't like it.
I would rather look at all the maps rather than have go through each map one by one.
What if I like a map, and I remember what it looks like, but I don't remember its name? Then I have to go through each map one by one to find it, and that's no fun.
Chance are such a scenerio would rarely happen (unless you're an idiot like me :P), but still, I'd rather look at all the maps then look at a list and have a small picture of each one uploaded.
Maybe set this as a possible option for individal players accounts.
Corporal Schlieffen

Location: Proud Legal Resident of the United States of America

Postby TheTeacher on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:33 pm

you might also want to edit the instructions at the top about leaving boxes unchecked, as you're nolonger entirely checking boxes.

And I don't experience the bug e_i_pi mentions. weird...

<edit>
nevermind, e_i_pi was talking about in "start a game" using arrow keys, not in "game finder"... it seems to update if, after you've already selected a map, and the menu isn't open but it's still selected, you hit the up and down keys, but not when the menu is open. From what I know about html and javascript though, I don't know if it's possible to fix that. when you select a new map with arrow keys and then hit [Enter] or click out of the menu, it updates. I don't think this is so bad.
</edit>
Captain TheTeacher

Postby igozd on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:45 pm

I like it, however the pictures could be a bit bigger. The change was not neccessary but it serves its purpose and we'll get used to it
Corporal 1st Class igozd

Postby Molwen on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:58 pm

Firstly, the change makes it difficult for those unfamiliar with maps to find ones they want to play.
However I can understand how easy it must make the lives of the CC pros out there.

But be that as it may, it would be nice to have a way to 'un-select' all maps short of refreshing the page.
ie if I click on a map to look at it, then decide that what the hell, I'm up for any map at all, I have to refresh the page to get back to that stage, losing all my settings.
Sergeant 1st Class Molwen

Postby saaimen on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:52 pm

Molwen wrote:But be that as it may, it would be nice to have a way to 'un-select' all maps short of refreshing the page.
ie if I click on a map to look at it, then decide that what the hell, I'm up for any map at all, I have to refresh the page to get back to that stage, losing all my settings.

If you've clicked it, CTRL + click it again to unselect it. You can also select more than one map at a time when holding CTRL.
Note: Replace CTRL with the or 'Command' key if you're a Mac user like me.
igozd wrote:I like it, however the pictures could be a bit bigger.

Indeed. Now that we've saved the page from cluttering, maybe we could make it shine a bit more by increasing the thumbnail's size... Couldn't we?
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby trk1994 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:01 pm

First let me say that I do understand change happens and we all must go with the flow. Now, that said, my two cents says that i REALLY don't like the new style. Moest of my game chosing is by what map strikes my fancy at the moment. Having to click on on and scroll through tham all to see what they are really slows me down and would possibly cause me to forget the whole thing. Yes I know that some are able to remember a map easily and see them all in thier head but I don't work that way, and by reading this thread I see that I am not alone. I like to see them all side by side and in full array. I do like the YouTube video on the home page...wait, in that video it shows the thumbnail view of all maps. Great advertizement, but we can't see it anymore. No Good in my opinion. At least let us switch it back if we like it the old way. I will say that this new system will stop me from playing new maps simply b/c I usually don't like to take time to look at everything. You may find that many others are in that same boat. Anyhow, thanks for the ability to rant and be heard.

btw, If not for reading this thread I wouldn't have known how to select >1 maps in the game finder section. Maybe a side note on the page for those of us not so computer savy.

p.s. If this change is to stay lets at least increase the thumbnail size so that the height matchs the height of the scroll box. That would be good for viewing w/o having to click on it and xing back out.
Last edited by trk1994 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are advancing constantly and not interested in holding anything except the enemy. We're gonna hold 'em by the nose and we're gonna kick 'em in the ass!" -PATTON
Corporal 1st Class trk1994

Postby sully800 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:06 pm

Yeah the thumbnails could be increased in size to give a better preview. And gallery of all the maps is a good suggestion that I think lack agrees with.

I definitely like the lack of clutter and I think the new system will be quicker and better.
Major sully800

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions