Conquer Club

[Rules] Ranked gaming system

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

[Rules] Ranked gaming system

Postby e_i_pi on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:41 pm

Concise description:
  • Implement a site script that runs when a player attempts to join a game. If their rank is more than 7 ranks higher than every opponent in that game, they are denied access to joining the game
  • Autorun the script whenever a player drops a game, running the script once for each remaining player, going down the list from the first player to the last
  • New Recruits are considered to be Cooks for testing purposes

Specifics:
Create a script that basically allows you to join only if there is one or more opponents 7 ranks lower than you or higher.
  • New Recuits, Cooks, Cadets, Privates (both types), Corporals (both types), and Sergeants (both types) can join all games
  • Lieutenants cannot join games that have only Cooks as opponents
  • Captains cannot join games that have only Cooks-Cadets as opponents
  • Majors cannot join games that have only Cooks-Privates as opponents
  • Colonels cannot join games that have only Cooks-Privates First Class as opponents
  • Brigadiers cannot join games that have only Cooks-Corporals as opponents
  • Generals cannot join games that have only Cooks-Corporals First Class as opponents
  • Field Marshals cannot join games that have only Cooks-Sergeants as opponents
Examples:
  • Example 1: A New Recruit creates a 4 player standard game. Only Sergeants First Class or lower can join. Let's say a Sergeant First Class does join. Because the Sergeant First Class has joined, now a Field Marshal can join because Sergeants First Class are within 7 ranks of Field Marshal
  • Example 2: As per example 1. The Sergeant First Class drops the game. The autorun script checks each player. The New Recruit (player1) is the first player and is therefore skipped. The Field Marshal (player2) is checked against player1 - he is more than 7 ranks higher than player1, and is therefore automatically dropped.
  • Example 3: Four Cooks decide to start an 8 player quads game. A Sergeant First Class joins as the first player on team 2. A Field Marshal then attempts to join - he is denied access as all of the opponents are Cooks.
  • Example 4: As per example 3. One of the Cooks drops out, so team 1 is now three Cooks and one Sergeant First Class. The Field Marshal can now join as the first player of team 2, as the highest opponent is within the 7 rank range.
  • Example 5: Two cooks start an 8 player doubles game. A Cook and a Sergeant First Class join as team 2. Any player can now join, as the highest opponent is a Sergeant First Class.
  • Example 6: A Field Marshal starts a game. Anyone can join, no rank is more than 7 ranks higher than the Field Marshal. In fact, if anyone Sergeant First Class or higher starts a game and does not drop it, anyone can join that game

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • Gives new and low ranked players breathing room from higher ranked players
  • Allows low ranked players to practice on the difficult maps without being destroyed by high ranked players
  • Allows low ranked players to play higher ranked opponents if they so wish, by joining games higher ranks make
  • Creates more competition between higher ranked players, as they will generally only be able to join games against worthy opponents
  • Games with all ranks can still occur so long as there are sufficient ranks to bridge the span of the scoreboard
  • Creates a pseudo-divisional structure without limiting the sort of games that can be played
  • Will create balance and structure to the scoreboard, as it is intended
  • Rank will reflect skill
  • Will attract flames from the usual suspects along the lines of 'My rights are being stepped on' etc etc, who provide insufficient argument against, and generally a response that is a combination of mental drivel, whining, baiting, thread derailing, and the various forms of verbal diarrhea that occur when someone has spent the past year on the site doing nothing but play games against patsy opponents that offer no competition, and therefore have not exercised of that one organ that seperates us from the farmers - the brain
Captain e_i_pi

Re: Suggestion: Ranked gaming system

Postby demonfork on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:49 pm

e_i_pi wrote:Concise description:
  • Implement a site script that runs when a player attempts to join a game. If their rank is more than 7 ranks higher than every opponent in that game, they are denied access to joining the game
  • Autorun the script whenever a player drops a game, running the script once for each remaining player, going down the list from the first player to the last
  • New Recruits are considered to be Cooks for testing purposes

Specifics:
Create a script that basically allows you to join only if there is one or more opponents 7 ranks lower than you or higher.
  • New Recuits, Cooks, Cadets, Privates (both types), Corporals (both types), and Sergeants (both types) can join all games
  • Lieutenants cannot join games that have only Cooks as opponents
  • Captains cannot join games that have only Cooks-Cadets as opponents
  • Majors cannot join games that have only Cooks-Privates as opponents
  • Colonels cannot join games that have only Cooks-Privates First Class as opponents
  • Brigadiers cannot join games that have only Cooks-Corporals as opponents
  • Generals cannot join games that have only Cooks-Corporals First Class as opponents
  • Field Marshals cannot join games that have only Cooks-Sergeants as opponents
Examples:
  • Example 1: A New Recruit creates a 4 player standard game. Only Sergeants First Class or lower can join. Let's say a Sergeant First Class does join. Because the Sergeant First Class has joined, now a Field Marshal can join because Sergeants First Class are within 7 ranks of Field Marshal
  • Example 2: As per example 1. The Sergeant First Class drops the game. The autorun script checks each player. The New Recruit (player1) is the first player and is therefore skipped. The Field Marshal (player2) is checked against player1 - he is more than 7 ranks higher than player1, and is therefore automatically dropped.
  • Example 3: Four Cooks decide to start an 8 player quads game. A Sergeant First Class joins as the first player on team 2. A Field Marshal then attempts to join - he is denied access as all of the opponents are Cooks.
  • Example 4: As per example 3. One of the Cooks drops out, so team 1 is now three Cooks and one Sergeant First Class. The Field Marshal can now join as the first player of team 2, as the highest opponent is within the 7 rank range.
  • Example 5: Two cooks start an 8 player doubles game. A Cook and a Sergeant First Class join as team 2. Any player can now join, as the highest opponent is a Sergeant First Class.
  • Example 6: A Field Marshal starts a game. Anyone can join, no rank is more than 7 ranks higher than the Field Marshal. In fact, if anyone Sergeant First Class or higher starts a game and does not drop it, anyone can join that game

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • Gives new and low ranked players breathing room from higher ranked players
  • Allows low ranked players to practice on the difficult maps without being destroyed by high ranked players
  • Allows low ranked players to play higher ranked opponents if they so wish, by joining games higher ranks make
  • Creates more competition between higher ranked players, as they will generally only be able to join games against worthy opponents
  • Games with all ranks can still occur so long as there are sufficient ranks to bridge the span of the scoreboard
  • Creates a pseudo-divisional structure without limiting the sort of games that can be played
  • Will create balance and structure to the scoreboard, as it is intended
  • Rank will reflect skill
  • Will attract flames from the usual suspects along the lines of 'My rights are being stepped on' etc etc, who provide insufficient argument against, and generally a response that is a combination of mental drivel, whining, baiting, thread derailing, and the various forms of verbal diarrhea that occur when someone has spent the past year on the site doing nothing but play games against patsy opponents that offer no competition, and therefore have not exercised of that one organ that seperates us from the farmers - the brain

I don't think I have ever heard a more idiotic suggestion than this one! If something like this were ever implemented it would be the end of this site!
Lieutenant demonfork

Postby PepperJack on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:52 pm

Would the script work both ways? A field marshal cannot join a cook 1v1 but would the cook be able to join a 1v1 game set up by a field marshal?

Would this affect all games or only public, not private?

This sounds like another promising idea. Nice thinking as usual pi.
Game 3960030

Going on deployment, be back someday.

Sorry for deadbeating out of games.
Corporal 1st Class PepperJack

Postby e_i_pi on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:57 pm

This coming from someone who decided not to vote for a particular map on the CA map comp because he thoguht it was my map. We all know your adverse response to anything I suggest demonfork:

demonfork wrote:I don't think I have ever heard a more idiotic suggestion than this one! If something like this were ever implemented it would be the end of this site!

And my quote from above, I will snip to the parts that are relevant:

e_i_pi wrote: ...the usual suspects ... who provide insufficient argument against ... a response that is ... baiting, thread derailing ... verbal diarrhea
Last edited by e_i_pi on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby e_i_pi on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:00 pm

PepperJack wrote:Would the script work both ways? A field marshal cannot join a cook 1v1 but would the cook be able to join a 1v1 game set up by a field marshal?

Correct. If anyone Sergeant First Class or higher starts a game, then ANYONE can join.
If a low rank starts a game, the next player has to be no more than 7 ranks higher than them. The next player has to be no more than 7 ranks higher than the highest of those 2 players, and so on.

Would this affect all games or only public, not private?

That is subject to debate, not a decision I could make

This sounds like another promising idea. Nice thinking as usual pi.

Thank you PJ, it's heartening to know that there are forum-goers who aren't pre-pubescent morons intent on cocking their leg up on anything that isn't to their liking, or written by similarly moronic pre-pubescents.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby demonfork on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:31 pm

Example 1- Four cooks get together and decide that they want to challenge four colonels to a quad match, they have played a few games as a team before and now think they might be able to take on some higher ranked players.

The cook team then precedes to callouts and finds 3 majors and 1 colonel that are willing to take them on, not the 4 colonels they wanted but close enough, they set up the game and wait for team 2 to join.

DUM DUM DUM...... WTF TEAM 2 CAN'T JOIN????!!!!!!!

"Sorry cook team did you not know??!!! Some kind person decided that you can't play against higher ranked players because they might beat up on you, so for your own protection, it's just not allowed!"

Cook team- "But we don't want your protection, we can take care of ourselves, we really think that we can take this team on"

"Sorry cooks, it's just not gonna happen, we have decided that you just can't handle it"

Cook team- "WTF who was the ASSHOLE that thought up this dumb rule?"

"COOKS!!!! ONE WORE NEGATIVE WORD OUT OF YOU AND YOU WILL BE BANISHED FROM THE SITE"

Cook team- "God Damnit!! another great gaming site ruined by useless rules, oh well"
Lieutenant demonfork

Postby e_i_pi on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:42 pm

demonfork wrote:Example 1- Four cooks get together and decide that they want to challenge four colonels to a quad match, they have played a few games as a team before and now think they might be able to take on some higher ranked players.

The cook team then precedes to callouts and finds 3 majors and 1 colonel that are willing to take them on, not the 4 colonels they wanted but close enough, they set up the game and wait for team 2 to join.

...and a bunch of other drivel snipped. You want a game like that? Get the Colonels to start it. Problem solved. Try again

And if you don't like that rebuttal, how about if a decision was made by site admins that Private games are exempt from the rule?
Captain e_i_pi

Postby demonfork on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:52 pm

e_i_pi wrote:
demonfork wrote:Example 1- Four cooks get together and decide that they want to challenge four colonels to a quad match, they have played a few games as a team before and now think they might be able to take on some higher ranked players.

...and a bunch of other drivel snipped. You want a game like that? Get the Colonels to start it. Problem solved. Try again

And if you don't like that rebuttal, how about if a decision was made by site admins that Private games are exempt from the rule?

I showed you how absurd this rule would be if implemented.

I know that believe people that run this site are smart enough to never put in place this idiotic suggestion, it will never happen!

Therefore I have no need to continue wasting bandwidth on this topic!
Lieutenant demonfork

Postby e_i_pi on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:57 pm

demonfork wrote:I showed you how absurd this rule would be if implemented.

...and I refuted it in a way that you had no comeback to. Competition is over. I win

I know that believe people that run this site are smart enough to never put in place this idiotic suggestion, it will never happen!

Back to the broken record routine I see. Bury your head in the sand and see how many people support you down there.

Good, crawl back to your hole and stop trolling so the adults can discuss the idea in peace.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:57 pm

Yes, Yes, Yes. This or something similar would be very helpful in bringing some semblance of integrity to the ranking system.
I am sure that all the N.Fs' will throw up their protests. And rant about how it would ruin the site.They are a relatively small group. but their voice is the loudest. It seems that CC hears them more because of this fact. They are indeed a small minority of the players here at CC. Hell, the majority of players have never even been to the forums. If CC ever wants to get a true opinion poll on anything, they should send them out in pms' to all members. Then they will see the true majority opinions. 8-)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby demonfork on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:05 pm

e_i_pi wrote:

...and I refuted it in a way that you had no comeback to. Competition is over. I win

Back to the broken record routine I see. Bury your head in the sand and see how many people support you down there.

Good, crawl back to your hole and stop trolling so the adults can discuss the idea in peace.

You refute NOTHING, you win NOTHING!

The fact is, in my example, the cook team would not be allowed to CHALLENGE the major/colonel team!

understand? C-H-A-L-L-E-N-G-E!!!! Your rule would take away their right to CHALLENGE!

In the end we will see who really wins, like I said, this idiotic suggestion will NEVER be implemented!
Lieutenant demonfork

Postby e_i_pi on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:52 pm

demonfork wrote:
e_i_pi wrote:

The fact is, in my example, the cook team would not be allowed to CHALLENGE the major/colonel team!

Just so you read it this time, I've put it in nice big letters for you kiddo:
THEY COULD PLAY EACH OTHER THROUGH A NON-RESTRICTED PRIVATE GAME DIPSHIT
understand? C-H-A-L-L-E-N-G-E!!!! Your rule would take away their right to CHALLENGE!

It wouldn't you moron, understand?
D-I-P-S-H-I-T!!!!

In the end we will see who really wins, like I said, this idiotic suggestion will NEVER be implemented!

Your brain will never be implemented...
Captain e_i_pi

Postby demonfork on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:01 pm

e_i_pi wrote:
demonfork wrote:
e_i_pi wrote:

Just so you read it this time, I've put it in nice big letters for you kiddo:
THEY COULD PLAY EACH OTHER THROUGH A NON-RESTRICTED PRIVATE GAME DIPSHIT

It wouldn't you moron, understand?
D-I-P-S-H-I-T!!!!

Your brain will never be implemented...

Freemium's can not make private games guy!

What if the cooks were all freemiums and they wanted to challenge higher ranks,under the eipi dictatorship they couldn't what about that buddy?

Face it, it's a dumb idea friend!
Lieutenant demonfork

Postby e_i_pi on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:19 pm

demonfork wrote:Freemium's can not make private games guy!

What if the cooks were all freemiums and they wanted to challenge higher ranks,under the eipi dictatorship they couldn't what about that buddy?

You have found 1, count it, 1 instance where it would restrict play. Let me outline this instance that is the equivalent of Ragnarok according to demonfork:

4 Cooks - sorry - 4 Freemium Cooks... go into callouts, and want to play against 4 Colonels. The cooks want to create the game. They can't create the game and have the Colonels join.

Solutions:
Colonels start the game publically
Colonels start the game privately
One of the cooks buys premium, in order to get premium access

You have demonstrated in this thread your inability to be anything other than a troll and an idiot. Take it elsewhere. Alternately, keep providing bait for the mods - I'm sure they appreciate your attitude in Suggs and Bugs, considering it is non-constructive baiting trolling flaming idiocy.

Perhaps you need to read the Forum Guidelines. These things are against the rules mate:
  • Posts that add nothing to the current topic
  • Posting the same thing over and over
  • Being intentionally annoying
  • Flame baiting
  • Don't de-rail topics, don't spam them, don't flame them, don't bait them, don't drive a topic into a negative spiral

You have committed them all, I'm quite happy to raise the attention of the mods to it.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby demonfork on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:33 pm

e_i_pi wrote:
demonfork wrote:Freemium's can not make private games guy!

You have found 1, count it, 1 instance where it would restrict play. Let me outline this instance that is the equivalent of Ragnarok according to demonfork:

4 Cooks - sorry - 4 Freemium Cooks... go into callouts, and want to play against 4 Colonels. The cooks want to create the game. They can't create the game and have the Colonels join.

Solutions:

You have demonstrated in this thread your inability to be anything other than a troll and an idiot. Take it elsewhere. Alternately, keep providing bait for the mods - I'm sure they appreciate your attitude in Suggs and Bugs, considering it is non-constructive baiting trolling flaming idiocy.

Perhaps you need to read the Forum Guidelines. These things are against the rules mate:
  • Posts that add nothing to the current topic
  • Posting the same thing over and over
  • Being intentionally annoying
  • Flame baiting
  • Don't de-rail topics, don't spam them, don't flame them, don't bait them, don't drive a topic into a negative spiral

You have committed them all, I'm quite happy to raise the attention of the mods to it.

I have done nothing of the sort, feel free to alert the mods.

Obviously, if you look at the time that I spend on this site, the premiums that I have purchased for myself and others, you could come to the conclusion that I care about the welfare of this site.

IMHO, your rule would have an extremely negative effect on this site and I, through my on-topic posts, have shown why.

The fact that I hate your guts has absolutely nothing to do with me offering my input of why this idea of yours is a bad one!
Lieutenant demonfork

Postby e_i_pi on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:36 pm

e_i_pi wrote:Solutions:
Captain e_i_pi

Postby Jeff Hardy on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:03 pm

i like this idea a lot
General Jeff Hardy

Location: Matt Hardy's account, you can play against me there

Postby lgoasklucyl on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:17 pm

"Sorry cook team did you not know??!!! Some kind person decided that you can't play against higher ranked players because they might beat up on you, so for your own protection, it's just not allowed!"

Cook team- "But we don't want your protection, we can take care of ourselves, we really think that we can take this team on"

"Sorry cooks, it's just not gonna happen, we have decided that you just can't handle it"

Cook team- "WTF who was the ASSHOLE that thought up this dumb rule?"

"COOKS!!!! ONE WORE NEGATIVE WORD OUT OF YOU AND YOU WILL BE BANISHED FROM THE SITE"

Cook team- "God Damnit!! another great gaming site ruined by useless rules, oh well"

Then the script should only be implemented with public games. If not, it could interfere with tournament games and clan challenges.

If the colonels REALLY accept the match vs. the cooks then they can simply make it a private game and give the other team the password. It would need to be private to make sure all the right players end up in the game anyway, else someone else may hop in.

I do like your suggest ei, and think it would help the farming problem tremendously. I imagine new recruits would have much more fun not being ravaged their first games, and potentially actually stand a chance in their first games where they are still figuring things out.

Well though out and presented sir :D

edit: Whoops, missed the private thing had been suggested already ;)
I really haven't seen any logical argument against it yet. As long as privates are still open to anyone so that tournament/clan games can flow well it seems viable. Rest assured certain higher ranks would simply start privates and PM lower ranks, but there's nothing you can do about that.
Sergeant 1st Class lgoasklucyl

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:43 pm

Your breakdown on the specifics portion is spot on. The limits described are very minimal and should not hinder anyone except Farmers. Limits have been shot down a number of times. But I would just ask that CC would seriously consider this feather of a restriction.
I would offer an alternative along the same lines - Noobs and cooks, can only play noobs and cooks. Once you make corp. you are allowed to play anyone you want. Just consider it boot camp. If a noob wants to play a friend that is higher than cook, he will just have to graduate boot camp first. Once he does he can play whoever. and it does not matter if he drops below corp. as he has already made it through once.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby demonfork on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:31 pm

[quote="porkenbeans"]Your breakdown on the specifics portion is spot on. The limits described are very minimal and should not hinder anyone except Farmers. Limits have been shot down a number of times. But I would just ask that CC would seriously consider this feather of a restriction.
I would offer an alternative along the same lines - Noobs and cooks, can only play noobs and cooks. Once you make corp. you are allowed to play anyone you want. Just consider it boot camp. If a noob wants to play a friend that is higher than cook, he will just have to graduate boot camp first. Once he does he can play whoever. and it does not matter if he drops below corp. as he has already made it through once.[/quote]

once your alternative gets implemented, I will play a bunch of assdoodle games until I derank to cook, get to about 50 points, then I will farm noobs until i get to cadet, then I will play assdoodle until I derank again, repeat.
Lieutenant demonfork

Postby sully800 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:50 pm

Allowing private games makes farming more inconvenient but does not prevent it. Max and lanyards already conduct most of their farming through private games, by only sending the password out to new recruits.
Major sully800

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:24 pm

demonfork wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:Your breakdown on the specifics portion is spot on. The limits described are very minimal and should not hinder anyone except Farmers. Limits have been shot down a number of times. But I would just ask that CC would seriously consider this feather of a restriction.
I would offer an alternative along the same lines - Noobs and cooks, can only play noobs and cooks. Once you make corp. you are allowed to play anyone you want. Just consider it boot camp. If a noob wants to play a friend that is higher than cook, he will just have to graduate boot camp first. Once he does he can play whoever. and it does not matter if he drops below corp. as he has already made it through once.

once your alternative gets implemented, I will play a bunch of assdoodle games until I derank to cook, get to about 50 points, then I will farm noobs until i get to cadet, then I will play assdoodle until I derank again, repeat.
Were you born this way or did yo mama drop you on your head ?
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby demonfork on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:33 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
demonfork wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:Your breakdown on the specifics portion is spot on. The limits described are very minimal and should not hinder anyone except Farmers. Limits have been shot down a number of times. But I would just ask that CC would seriously consider this feather of a restriction.

It was meant to show you that regardless of how many rules you set-up, there will still be a way to farm...

yet for a response you find it necessary to insult me and my mother, which I'm sure is considered flaming and against the rules in the forum!
Lieutenant demonfork

Postby sully800 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:43 pm

demonfork, you are clearly biased against this idea. It is fine to say that you don't like it, you have made that very clear. As you are adding nothing new to the thread you can stop spamming and the conversation will continue.
Major sully800

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:44 pm

demonfork wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:
demonfork wrote:

It was meant to show you that regardless of how many rules you set-up, there will still be a way to farm...

yet for a response you find it necessary to insult me and my mother, which I'm sure is considered flaming and against the rules in the forum!
Hey there genius, I wonder why I never thought of that. Maybe it is because I have a brain.
You are constantly trolling and stalking and harassing me. You have nothing but gobbledygook to say. And I am not the only person that you re doing this to. I am sure the mods will get to you sooner or later.
OOOps and there it is. tnx sully.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions