Moderator: Community Team

Re: Suggestion: Ranked gaming system

Postby Downey on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:07 am

But I wanna play against higher ranks! :(
Private Downey

Postby e_i_pi on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:23 am

Downey wrote:But I wanna play against higher ranks! :(

This suggestion would have inhibited none of your games that you have played so far. Not a single one. You would not have been adversly affected in any way whatsoever
Captain e_i_pi

Postby sully800 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:24 am

Everyone else please stop flaming and attacking as well. the thread is derailed. No more blame, let's just get back to the suggestion and act civilly.
Major sully800

Postby e_i_pi on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:27 am

sully800 wrote:Everyone else please stop flaming and attacking as well. the thread is derailed. No more blame, let's just get back to the suggestion and act civilly.

Thank you sully, but I think 2 pages of derailment is pretty much mission accomplished
Captain e_i_pi

Postby GrimReaper. on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:31 am

The only problem I have with the idea is that I sometimes join games with high ranking players on purpose so if I win I will get a lot of points. If this goes into play it will be harder to score tons of points.
When the first Atom bomb test was complete a colleague of Oppenheimer said: "What an Awesome and Foul display of Power." a moment later he added, "Now we are all sons of bitches"
Private GrimReaper.

Postby e_i_pi on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:41 am

GrimReaper. wrote:The only problem I have with the idea is that I sometimes join games with high ranking players on purpose so if I win I will get a lot of points. If this goes into play it will be harder to score tons of points.

There is no restriction on low ranked played. This will not affect you.

If a high ranked player starts a game, anyone can join.
If you started a game (you being a PFC), Brigadiers, Generals, and Field Marshals could not join your game until a Sergeant First Class or higher joined.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby demonfork on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:52 am

e_i_pi wrote:
GrimReaper. wrote:The only problem I have with the idea is that I sometimes join games with high ranking players on purpose so if I win I will get a lot of points. If this goes into play it will be harder to score tons of points.

If you started a game (you being a PFC), Brigadiers, Generals, and Field Marshals could not join your game until a Sergeant First Class or higher joined.

How can you say that this will not affect him? To say that is just simply untrue! Under your system, if GrimReaper starts a 1vs1 game hoping for a higher ranked player to join his game, he would be out of luck.
Major demonfork

Postby e_i_pi on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:58 am

demonfork wrote:
e_i_pi wrote:

How can you say that this will not affect him? To say that is just simply untrue! Under your system, if GrimReaper starts a 1vs1 game hoping for a higher ranked player to join his game, he would be out of luck.

He was talking about joining game. I explained what would happen in the two scenarios at hand... him starting games, and him joining them
Captain e_i_pi

Postby demonfork on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:03 am

e_i_pi wrote:
demonfork wrote:
e_i_pi wrote:

He was talking about joining game. I explained what would happen in the two scenarios at hand... him starting games, and him joining them

You are right, on first pass I missed that part of your explanation, my bad.
Major demonfork

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:35 pm

I don't think this is that bad of an idea, as it mostly targets farmers without disrupting the average player. It is actually quite gracefully developed. I am just wondering if we are spending too much resources targeting a small number of players whom people generally don't take seriously when we could instead be working on some other, much needed improvements.
Private SuicidalSnowman

Postby gameplayer on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:09 pm

This looks like a great idea, the only exception I see would have to be for tournament games for obvious reasons.
Colonel gameplayer

Postby e_i_pi on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:40 pm

gameplayer wrote:This looks like a great idea, the only exception I see would have to be for tournament games for obvious reasons.

Definitely, but of course that would be easy to implement. It is a simple Case or If statement before the body of the procedure
Captain e_i_pi

Postby FarangDemon on Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:23 am

Great suggestion, E I Pi.

I had a suggestion that would achieve a similar effect by implementing a second scoreboard to only contain players that play similarly ranked players (as determined by relative rank metric), but would not prevent anybody from playing any games. My suggestion would just hope that farmers quit farming because they won't make it to the competitive scoreboard.

However, your suggestion would make farming really inconvenient and I don't think it is very restrictive either. Kudos to you.

That other guy can play assdoodle till he gets down to 50 and then farm until he is a lieutenant all the live long day if he wants. That is not the farming problem. The problem is that you can make it to the top (or HAVE to make it to the top) and stay on top mostly by playing noobs.

SuicidalSnowman wrote:I am just wondering if we are spending too much resources targeting a small number of players whom people generally don't take seriously when we could instead be working on some other, much needed improvements.

The magnitude of the farming problem is clearly indicated by the large number of suggestions and players that are concerned with solving it. The fact is, you can make it to Conqueror rank by farming noobs, people are making careers of it, and that is why so many other players think it is lame and the rules should be changed to promote competition among the higher ranked.
Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby demonfork on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:45 am

FarangDemon wrote:Great suggestion, E I Pi.

I had a suggestion that would achieve a similar effect by implementing a second scoreboard to only contain players that play similarly ranked players (as determined by relative rank metric), but would not prevent anybody from playing any games. My suggestion would just hope that farmers quit farming because they won't make it to the competitive scoreboard.

However, your suggestion would make farming really inconvenient and I don't think it is very restrictive either. Kudos to you.

That other guy can play assdoodle till he gets down to 50 and then farm until he is a lieutenant all the live long day if he wants. That is not the farming problem. The problem is that you can make it to the top (or HAVE to make it to the top) and stay on top mostly by playing noobs.

SuicidalSnowman wrote:I am just wondering if we are spending too much resources targeting a small number of players whom people generally don't take seriously when we could instead be working on some other, much needed improvements.

The magnitude of the farming problem is clearly indicated by the large number of suggestions and players that are concerned with solving it. The fact is, you can make it to Conqueror rank by farming noobs, people are making careers of it, and that is why so many other players think it is lame and the rules should be changed to promote competition among the higher ranked.

Can you please quantify your last statement?

In this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=72076 it has been discussed that a very small percentage of active players even use the forums and out of those that actually use the forums, how many of those have participated in topics that would show that they are against farming or believe that farming is a "problem"?

Farming has never been proven to be a "problem" and to claim that it's a problem of high magnitude, at this point, is nothing more than a strawman argument!
Major demonfork

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:47 pm

demonfork wrote:

In this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=72076 it has been discussed that a very small percentage of active players even use the forums and out of those that actually use the forums, how many of those have participated in topics that would show that they are against farming or believe that farming is a "problem"?

Farming has never been proven to be a "problem" and to claim that it's a problem of high magnitude, at this point, is nothing more than a strawman argument!
If you or anybody wants to farm Noobs, We apparently can not stop you. But, there ARE sane and rational folks that just want to have fun and enjoy competing with others. Not this noob rape game that you love so much. Why is this so hard for some of you to understand ?
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby theconquerer1995 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:19 pm

Maybe we could make it an option on having the ranked game. I for one sometimes feel like playing high rankers or don't care if they join my games, but sometimes, i want to play people my own rank.

how does that sound??
2008-11-26 12:51:53 - Moran555: i don't team up on people, i just attack whoever that will benefit me the most and yes that was red
Cook theconquerer1995

Postby a.sub on Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:42 pm

well the peopel who are mostlikely to be farmed are ?s, so i think it should be an option except for ? who have to use it on since they dont know better.

and i think demon fork isnt helping this forum at all, can we just block him from this thread?

EDIT: idk if i made it clear but i think this is a great idea if we do the above idea.
Cadet a.sub

Postby gundiesalvo on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:34 pm

theconquerer1995 wrote:Maybe we could make it an option on having the ranked game. I for one sometimes feel like playing high rankers or don't care if they join my games, but sometimes, i want to play people my own rank.

how does that sound??

Making it another option might find more resistance, and if you like playing high rankers, then it´s not a problem at all, just join their games. Plus, if you start an 8 player game, there´s a big chance that it can end up being open to everyone, since first of all Lieutenants and under can all join your games, and it´s just a matter of getting one player Sergeant 1st or over in your game for it to be open to EVERYONE.

The following is not related with the original thread, so I'll just make the text smaller, if someone wants to read it, feel free, if not skip through...
As FarangDemon, I´ve also been thinking of ways to avoid farming, not because I have a personal problem with farmers, but because I understand it can be discouraging for new players to be butchered by a farmer. Demon Fork, you say "Farming has never been proven to be a 'problem'..." Well, maybe it's not a "problem", but I would consider Deadbeat farming an "exploit" of this game, since it gives people an "easy" way to get points. Now don't get me wrong, I don't care much about the points, for example I don´t really care about Deadbeat farmers, a few solutions have been thrown out for that like "?"s not losing points for deadbeating and stuff like that, but personally, if someone wants to feel good about themselves by getting points for people they don´t even play against, good for them, enjoy it, but leave the new players who really want to play and learn the game alone, it makes no sense to me seeing a Capitain+ joining and playing games against Privates and under, that's pretty much the same as bullying... If the low rank challenges the high rank, then sure, that's a very different thing, but generally it's not the case.

Anyway, I really like this idea, it's simple and it mostly affects 1v1 player games, since bigger games means more people, which makes it more possible for higher ranks to join.
Corporal gundiesalvo

Postby a.sub on Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:06 pm

i found another problem, most farming games are ones made by the farmer ie all of KLOBBER's games, how about it should be that if someone is 9 ranks below you, then you cant gain points from them. that way everybody can play each other but farmers can earn points from farming after they reach a certain rank.
Cadet a.sub

Postby jackin_u_up on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:30 am

I think e.i.p.i has a great idea and it should be implemented ASAP.
Sergeant 1st Class jackin_u_up

Postby e_i_pi on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:05 am

demonfork wrote:
FarangDemon wrote:The magnitude of the farming problem is clearly indicated by the large number of suggestions and players that are concerned with solving it. The fact is, you can make it to Conqueror rank by farming noobs, people are making careers of it, and that is why so many other players think it is lame and the rules should be changed to promote competition among the higher ranked.

Taken from the original post of thread: Farming Secret Revealed
demonfork wrote:...almost daily you can find someone in the forum crying foul over point farming.

demonfork then goes on in his post to prove how farming is a problem.

The level of hypocricy here is astounding, and I hope that anyone reading this thread will take this information into account when attributing any value to his posts here.

So, demonfork, here is the "quantification" you requested. Your very own words. If you decide to reply to this, remember to stay on topic.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby demonfork on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:27 am

e_i_pi wrote:
demonfork wrote:
FarangDemon wrote:The magnitude of the farming problem is clearly indicated by the large number of suggestions and players that are concerned with solving it. The fact is, you can make it to Conqueror rank by farming noobs, people are making careers of it, and that is why so many other players think it is lame and the rules should be changed to promote competition among the higher ranked.

In this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=72076 it has been discussed that avery small percentage of active players even use the forums and out of those that actually use the forums, how many of those have participated in topics that would show that they are against farming or believe that farming is a "problem"?

Taken from the original post of thread: Farming Secret Revealed
demonfork wrote:...almost daily you can find someone in the forum crying foul over point farming.

demonfork then goes on in his post to prove how farming is a problem.

The level of hypocricy(sic) here is astounding, and I hope that anyone reading this thread will take this information into account when attributing any value to his posts here.

So, demonfork, here is the "quantification" you requested. Your very own words. If you decide to reply to this, remember to stay on topic.

How did my post quantify that farming is a problem? It may prove that people believe that farming is a problem, everyone and their sister could believe that it is a problem, even then, a belief in something does make it so.

When I asked for quantification, I was not asking for proof that people believed that farming is a problem, I was asking for proof that farming IS a problem. Farming has never been factually proven to be a problem, for all we know it could be a positive thing for this site, I myself believe that it is, but without proof even my belief does not make it so now does it!

The only level of HYPOCRISY that is astounding is the type that involves the people that condemn the practice of farming while at the same time using these practices themselves.
Major demonfork

Postby e_i_pi on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:04 am

So, back on topic...

Testimonials:
PepperJack wrote:This sounds like another promising idea. Nice thinking as usual pi.

porkenbeans wrote:Yes, Yes, Yes. This or something similar would be very helpful in bringing some semblance of integrity to the ranking system.

Jeff Hardy wrote:i like this idea a lot

IgoasklucyI wrote:Well though out and presented sir :D

SuicidalSnowman wrote:I don't think this is that bad of an idea, as it mostly targets farmers without disrupting the average player. It is actually quite gracefully developed.

gameplayer wrote:This looks like a great idea

a.sub wrote:idk if i made it clear but i think this is a great idea if we do the above idea

gundiesalvo wrote:Anyway, I really like this idea, it's simple and it mostly affects 1v1 player games, since bigger games means more people, which makes it more possible for higher ranks to join

jackin_u_up wrote:I think e.i.p.i has a great idea and it should be implemented ASAP

Can a mod give a response to this? I'd like to know what the admin think about this idea
Captain e_i_pi

Postby FarangDemon on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:25 pm

demonfork wrote:
When I asked for quantification, I was not asking for proof that people believed that farming is a problem, I was asking for proof that farming IS a problem.

No, this is what you asked:

demonfork wrote:

And this was my last statement:

FarangDemon wrote:The fact is, you can make it to Conqueror rank by farming noobs, people are making careers of it, and that is why so many other players think it is lame and the rules should be changed to promote competition among the higher ranked.

you went on:

demonfork wrote:In this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=72076 it has been discussed that a very small percentage of active players even use the forums and out of those that actually use the forums, how many of those have participated in topics that would show that they are against farming or believe that farming is a "problem"?

But apparently you changed your mind or you were just kidding because you also posted this:

I don't know, it seemed pretty clear to me.
Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby a.sub on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:18 pm

a.sub wrote:i found another problem, most farming games are ones made by the farmer ie all of KLOBBER's games, how about it should be that if someone is 9 ranks below you, then you cant gain points from them. that way everybody can play each other but farmers can earn points from farming after they reach a certain rank.

QFE
Cadet a.sub

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions