Conquer Club

Oceania [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: OCEANIA MAP (Poll open! ) [ADVANCED DRAFT]

Postby pikkio on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:29 am

thanx guys! ^_^

i think i can try to resize some of the smaller islands and make it out of scale.
i also made a map with a lighter sea and i will relase it later.
the bonuses aren't fixed at this time, we will correct it when we decide the definitive gameplay.
the colour of the territories aren't fixed too. we will propose some variants next time. ;)

thanx again and keep on suggestion! ^_^
Sergeant 1st Class pikkio

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:13 pm

pikkio wrote:i think i can try to resize some of the smaller islands and make it out of scale.

You'll come up against purists who won't want you to alter the actual sizes, but in my experience, it will make the map look and feel heaps better... On Europa I enlarged several islands such as Malta, Crete, and the whole British Isles! :-$
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:27 pm

[quote="pikkio"]i think there was some troubles in the posting images.. you may use the bigimg i think, cause in video resolution 1024 the images are resized and smaller..

Thank you Pikkio
=D>
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:37 pm

iancanton wrote:http://www.norfolkisland.com.au/pages/map/

unrelated to this, norfolk island belongs to australia, not new zealand.

I will contact the graphic we discuss the possibility. (in next update)

iancanton wrote:i see that u're having a bit of trouble with names in east indonesia. timor-leste (or east timor) is no longer occupied by indonesia, having gained a independence by 2002 in a very bloody struggle. rather than east indonesia, perhaps u can call this region east indies, if u can't find a better name.

http://www.timor-leste.gov.tl/AboutTimo ... istory.htm

papua (formerly known as irian jaya), not west papua, is the name of the indonesian half of new guinea. west papua is a small section that was split off administratively from papua very recently. geographically, papua is part of melanesia, though it goes with indonesia politically.

http://www.petra.ac.id/eastern/irian/

Similar discussion here

iancanton wrote:celebes and maluku are not names that are contemporary with each other. celebes is now known as sulawesi, while maluku was the moluccas, if u prefer historical names.

http://www.bi.go.id/web/en/Ruang+Media/ ... +77205.htm

Like as norfolk islands....( in the next update)

The nobodies80

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:11 am

iancanton wrote:http://www.norfolkisland.com.au/pages/map/

unrelated to this, norfolk island belongs to australia, not new zealand.
i see that u're having a bit of trouble with names in east indonesia. timor-leste (or east timor) is no longer occupied by indonesia, having gained a independence by 2002 in a very bloody struggle. rather than east indonesia, perhaps u can call this region east indies, if u can't find a better name.

http://www.timor-leste.gov.tl/AboutTimo ... istory.htm

papua (formerly known as irian jaya), not west papua, is the name of the indonesian half of new guinea. west papua is a small section that was split off administratively from papua very recently. geographically, papua is part of melanesia, though it goes with indonesia politically.

http://www.petra.ac.id/eastern/irian/

celebes and maluku are not names that are contemporary with each other. celebes is now known as sulawesi, while maluku was the moluccas, if u prefer historical names.

http://www.bi.go.id/web/en/Ruang+Media/ ... +77205.htm

I did some research on web and now i can give an answer to the community:
  • norfolk islands is effectively an australian territory, we'll do an update in few days.
  • timor will be renamed Timor Leste or East Timor
  • Celebes will be renamed as Suwalesi
  • Maluku is the definitive name

Obviously gameplay and bonuses will change in next future.
The next update will be posted when actual poll end and we have a right small & big versions.

So have you nothing to suggest to us?
Thenobodies80

Re: OCEANIA MAP [ADVANCED DRAFT]

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:01 pm

poll ended. Small v 2.5 is the community choice... :)
In weekend we post a new big version and small version.
Obviously pitcairn islands will be removed.

thenobodies80

Postby sailorseal on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:08 pm

This is a great part of the world and I can't wait to see it made!
Cook sailorseal

OCEANIA MAP VERSION 3.0 New!

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:47 am

Hi men,
this is the 3.0 vers.

New Features:

• Norfolk island was added to australia
  • Celebes was renamed as Suwalesi
  • Timor was renamed as Timor Leste
  • Pitcairn Islands was removed
  • Water is a little lighter ( if community likes small version will be updated ad big)

New bonuses, recalculated, this is the formula.

Waiting suggestion.
Thenobodies80

Postby hoschke118 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:11 am

sorry, i haven't read any of the posts, but I'm pretty sure thats Vanuatu there between new caledonia and fiji, not Anuatu.
otherwise it's looking great
Major hoschke118

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:29 am

hoschke118 wrote:sorry, i haven't read any of the posts, but I'm pretty sure thats Vanuatu there between new caledonia and fiji, not Anuatu.
otherwise it's looking great

you're right
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanuatu

The new name will be Vanuatu, probably a typing error occurred!
Thank you hoschke118 =D>

Postby oaktown on Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:13 pm

hey mapmakers, nice work so far. There are some good starting positions, and the connections across the map will make for some interesting play. There are a lot of places to hide - e.g. Marquesas can only be taken from French Polynesia which can only be taken from Cook Islands - but as there are two or three places like this on the map I don't think it gives any one player an advantage.

As you add/remove territories and connection, keep in mind what part of the map you think would make the best start and work the bonuses accordingly.

And visually, think about how this entire map could be made to look a bit more tropical. There is so much ocean that a dark ocean color makes the whole map look very heavy, which I don't think is your intention. And the colors of the islands are in some cases very radioactive looking; when I think polynesia I think tropical fruits and bright natural colors.

Image Image
Captain oaktown

Postby sailorseal on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:37 pm

I like the natural colors idea but use some Great Barrier Reef natural colors which are incredible
Cook sailorseal

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:36 pm

Welcome to the Foundry Proper... Onwards and Upwards!
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:37 pm

Poll Results: Which Small map version we have to develope?
Poll ended at Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:58 pm

Vers. 2.4 (630x410)
20%

Vers. 2.5 (630x434) No pitcairn Islands
80%

Total votes : 5
----------------------------
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: OCEAN MAP V 3 (ocean colors)

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:19 am

oaktown wrote:And visually, think about how this entire map could be made to look a bit more tropical. There is so much ocean that a dark ocean color makes the whole map look very heavy, which I don't think is your intention. And the colors of the islands are in some cases very radioactive looking; when I think polynesia I think tropical fruits and bright natural colors.

We did a choice in past wit community to have a dark water (here).

For color i'm doing some test on color and in next update i will post a 3 / 4 choices with a poll for community.
About this, untill colors are under discussion we will develope only big version of map and when color are fixed we post a new updated small version.

Thenobodies80

Re: OCEANIA MAP V 3.0 [D]

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:24 am

Just noticed the "Anuatu" is spelt wrong should be "Vanuatu" ;)
Captain samuelc812

Re: OCEANIA MAP V 3.0 [D]

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:59 am

samuelc812 wrote:Just noticed the "Anuatu" is spelt wrong should be "Vanuatu" ;)

fixed!

Big Version

Click image to enlarge.

Small Version

Click image to enlarge.

Re: OCEANIA MAP V 3.0 [D] (last update 01/21/09)

Postby Natewolfman on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:11 pm

while most of this looks great and the water connections/islands look nice in the glow, aussie itself seems somewhat blank and dull... any possible remedy for this?
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Re: OCEANIA MAP V 3.0 [D] (last update 01/21/09)

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:04 am

Natewolfman wrote:while most of this looks great and the water connections/islands look nice in the glow, aussie itself seems somewhat blank and dull... any possible remedy for this?

Hi natewolfman! :D
don't worry, now we're working on colors and water, but Aussie is blank and dull me too!
But someone don't like colors in this map, so now i have to work on this.
When color are fixed definitively, details on Aussie will be done and posted.

Thenobodies80

Re: OCEANIA MAP V 3.0 [D] (NEW UPDATE 01/22/09)

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:50 pm

Today Pikkio makes a great work to give to Foundry Community an "answer" about dark water on this map.

So we decided to put online some examples and open a poll do discuss the possibility to change the water layout.

So i'm opening a new poll:

Do you like actual version or you prefer to change water into one of this examples?

Actual version 3.0

Click image to enlarge.

Version 3.1

Click image to enlarge.

Version 3.2

Click image to enlarge.

Version 3.3

Click image to enlarge.

Version 3.4

Click image to enlarge.

Thenobodies80
Last edited by thenobodies80 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: OCEANIA MAP V 3.0 [D] (NEW POLL 01/22/09 pg.8)

Postby pikkio on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:45 pm

obviusly, all the other colors are not fixed. i mean that with each of this sea layout i must find the right colors of text, connections, islands, ecc... ;)
Sergeant 1st Class pikkio

Re: OCEANIA MAP V 3.0 [D] (NEW POLL 01/22/09 pg.8)

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:06 am

pikkio wrote:obviusly, all the other colors are not fixed. i mean that with each of this sea layout i must find the right colors of text, connections, islands, ecc... ;)

thank you pikkio! =D>

Re: OCEANIA MAP V 3.0 [D] (poll temporarily closed)

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:33 am

Hi people,
i 've to stop the poll for a day because a new look map was developed....
Tomorrow i'll post the new updates..
All the versions in the poll will retired.
A new poll will be open tomorrow.
Sorry for the inconvenience

To do it correctly this is the actual results

Question: Which background version do you prefer? - pg. 8 -
Poll Time: Poll runs till Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:55 am
Options:
  • Actual 3.0 40%
  • Version 3.1 No votes
  • Version 3.2 60%
  • Version 3.3 No votes
  • Version 3.4 No votes

Total votes : 5

Thenobodies80

Re: OCEANIA MAP V 3.0 [D] UPDATE 01/22/09 pg.8

Postby oaktown on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:28 pm

hey thenobs, I'm finally dropping by as promised! I've got a bunch of maps to respond to, so I'll just tell you the things that I like and why.

I like what you've done in 3.1 around the islands. The apocalyptic glow in 3.0 (and especially in the image you PM'd me) are distracting, and do not fit the Polynesian theme... Micronesia in particular is punishingly bright on my eyes. If you were to tone the glow down so that it looks like shallow water/reef that'd be really nice, but when you couple the glow with the radioactive colors you've got a bikini atoll map rather than an oceania map. ;)

I can see you're facing some some background dilemmas... to which I say let that be the last thing you worry about. Personally I like the direction that the 3.4 background is going -- it's far more abstract than the other images, which is perfect because you aren't trying to achieve realism with the graphics on this map. The fact that the 3.4 background recedes into the background I do NOT like - you shouldn't have a vanishing point for the background if you don't have one for the rest of the map - and as it is the heavy lines are too distracting, but I personally think more abstract water is better than realistic water.

Looks like the gameplay is about the same as last week, so my earlier comments stand - I see no particular problems, just things to consider as you move ahead.
Captain oaktown

Re: OCEANIA MAP V 3.0 [D] UPDATE 01/22/09 pg.8

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:03 am

oaktown wrote:hey thenobs, I'm finally dropping by as promised! I've got a bunch of maps to respond to, so I'll just tell you the things that I like and why.

I like what you've done in 3.1 around the islands. The apocalyptic glow in 3.0 (and especially in the image you PM'd me) are distracting, and do not fit the Polynesian theme... Micronesia in particular is punishingly bright on my eyes. If you were to tone the glow down so that it looks like shallow water/reef that'd be really nice, but when you couple the glow with the radioactive colors you've got a bikini atoll map rather than an oceania map. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I think same thing about, i like this map but i think that colors aren't appropiate with the theme, so in these days will release a new coloured version!

oaktown wrote:I can see you're facing some some background dilemmas... to which I say let that be the last thing you worry about. Personally I like the direction that the 3.4 background is going -- it's far more abstract than the other images, which is perfect because you aren't trying to achieve realism with the graphics on this map. The fact that the 3.4 background recedes into the background I do NOT like - you shouldn't have a vanishing point for the background if you don't have one for the rest of the map - and as it is the heavy lines are too distracting, but I personally think more abstract water is better than realistic water.

When new look is ready we will re-open the poll and we want to chose the definitively look!

oaktown wrote:Looks like the gameplay is about the same as last week, so my earlier comments stand - I see no particular problems, just things to consider as you move ahead.

About gameplay i think to have all needed in my head, when graphic is fixed definitively i try to put my hand on gameplay :D
Now we're developing the 4.0 version, with a definitively look and graphic, after a little poll with 2/3 options we start to work on gameplay!

Thenobodies80

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas