Conquer Club

[Official] Centerscape/Midgard REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Official]Centerscape Lrg(v9) / Sml(v3) / XML pg 1,8

Postby hecter on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:24 pm

In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Re: [Official] Centerscape REVAMP (Midgard) Large v7 / page 1,6

Postby theButterfly on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:50 am

WidowMakers wrote:
theButterfly wrote:Enting Forest: "Dark Forest" (It can make up the Tolkien theme in territory names.)
. . . I like the Dark forest as well. Especially since we already have Entmoot Ridge as a tert name.

I still like Dark Forest better than Enting Forest, but it's your call.

WidowMakers wrote:Choices:
    1) The legend is too small, make it bigger and get rid of the boat in the bottom
    2) Bonus region "Fire Mountains" should be renamed to one of the following: "Doom Mountains" / "Doomed Mountains" / "Mountains of Doom"
    3) #1 and #2
    4) Keep it the way it is.

#4. It's true that the map and its legend are smaller than many other maps, but they're as big as they need to be. And Fire Mountains is the best region title of them all--please don't change it.

Graphically, I don't think you should change a thing; but if you really want to improve the legibility of the legend, you could lighten the color of the lower left part of the sea on the small map.
Captain theButterfly

Postby maritovw on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:44 am

Sergeant 1st Class maritovw

Postby RjBeals on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:21 am

WidowMakers wrote:OK. SO it appears that there are two different concerns about the map as it is right now.
I would like to here everyone opinion on this ( I really don't want to do a poll for a week since we can probably just get the needed input in 24 hours or so)

Choices:
    1) The legend is too small, make it bigger and get rid of the boat in the bottom
    2) Bonus region "Fire Mountains" should be renamed to one of the following: "Doom Mountains" / "Doomed Mountains" / "Mountains of Doom"
    3) #1 and #2
    4) Keep it the way it is.

Well, you're not going to like this WM, but I'm really not that fond of the legend in general. I know I created it, but it was kind of a last minute thing, just to give some bonus amounts. I sort of think it needs to be 'better'. Not bigger, just better than color blocks and names. I think it's fine right now, but I would like to see it better. I don't have any ideas or visions of what I want yet, but I think it's out there somewhere. Do you want me to make an attempt at it? Do you want to collaborate? As far as the region names, I don't care either way.
Private RjBeals

Postby rishaed on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:45 am

aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby Jumentum on Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:20 pm

if the title is Midgard, shouldn't it have a norse mythology theme or something?
Corporal 1st Class Jumentum

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:53 pm

Jumentum wrote:if the title is Midgard, shouldn't it have a norse mythology theme or something?

It was not used so much as to point to the theme of the map but due to what it means.

Midgard, is an old Germanic name for our world, the places inhabited by humans, with the literal meaning "middle enclosure".

This name is attested in many ancient Germanic languages. It occurs in Old Norse literature as Miðgarðr. In Old High German poem Muspilli it appears as Mittilagart. The Gothic form Midjungards is attested in Luke's Gospel as a translation of the word "earth". The word is present in Old English epic and poetry as Middangeard; later transformed to Middellærd or Mittelerde ("Middle-earth") in Middle English literature.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midgard

So it was chosen to really pay tribute to the map it replaced.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby MrBenn on Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:51 pm

RjBeals wrote:Well, you're not going to like this WM, but I'm really not that fond of the legend in general. I know I created it, but it was kind of a last minute thing, just to give some bonus amounts. I sort of think it needs to be 'better'. Not bigger, just better than color blocks and names. I think it's fine right now, but I would like to see it better. I don't have any ideas or visions of what I want yet, but I think it's out there somewhere. Do you want me to make an attempt at it? Do you want to collaborate? As far as the region names, I don't care either way.

The biggest problem with the legend is that there isn't a whole lot of space to work in. I spent some time looking through other fantasy maps, and most of them have a fancy scroll and runes all over the place...

The boxes could be made to look like rune-tablets or something?

There is a tiny bit of space to stretch the legend upwards if needs be..
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:58 pm

I like that idea, but I don't like the bevel added there. Keep it the same, with the grunge/flatness, and maybe lightly draw on those mountains, etc. See how it turns out, eh?

I eagerly await this quench (but first the GFX stamp!). :)

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby MrBenn on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:35 pm

Yeah - I agree the bevel looks out of place... this was more for the idea than anything ;-)

Here's some more (none of which are quite the right shape or style)
Image Image Image Image Image

The real trick will be to make them look like they belong on this map ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby rishaed on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:58 pm

MrBenn wrote:Yeah - I agree the bevel looks out of place... this was more for the idea than anything ;-)

Here's some more (none of which are quite the right shape or style)
Image Image Image Image Image

The real trick will be to make them look like they belong on this map ;-)

i think the runes from your first post are pretty good and look well....just take out the bevel
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:50 pm

OK here is Version 10
-Changed Red bonus name to Doomfire Mountains
-Made the legend a bit bigger
-Added Runic Symbols to the legend (thanks Mr Benn) but edited them a bit to fit the color and be less "bevelly"

BUT....I actually do not like the legend symbols. They do not add to the map. They also need to be so small that any detail is lost and just looks bad.
The map is cleaner with them off. No where on the map are there other symbols or markings similar to these. They are just a distraction.
I say leave them out.

With Legend symbols
Without Legend Symbols
Major WidowMakers

Re: [Official]Centerscape Lrg(v10)/ XML pg 1,10

Postby hecter on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:05 pm

I vote no rune symbols for that setup.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:07 pm

Yeah, I agree with WM and hecter. Seeing them actually on the map — well it's more a distraction and I like how clean the colors look without them.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby pamoa on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:39 am

maybe you can vary the shape of each single colour contour to look like a symbol...
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby MrBenn on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:22 am

I agree that the rune symbols make the legend look cluttered. It was worth a try :P

I like the transition of the box shapes as you go down the list (ie the top box is a different shape to the bottom box), but wonder if the borders are fractionally too thick?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:31 am

MrBenn wrote:I agree that the rune symbols make the legend look cluttered. It was worth a try :P

I like the transition of the box shapes as you go down the list (ie the top box is a different shape to the bottom box), but wonder if the borders are fractionally too thick?

Sure thing Benn. I will try to make the borders look like the land borders. I bit more like dark dark brown and maybe thinner.

As far as the different shapes, I don't know how that would go. There is only so much room. And with 7 bonuses, I would need 7 different shapes. I think we would run into teh same issue as the runes. Too much variation for no real reason. But i will try a few things.
Major WidowMakers

Postby Optimus Prime on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:46 pm

I think MrBenn was pointing out that the boxes already have a slight variance in shape and he likes it, not that he wants you to change it to something else WM.

My vote is for no on the runes as well if it means anything.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby MrBenn on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:49 pm

Cheers for clarifying that OP.... even though I think WM was responding to Pamoa's comment...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:09 pm

MrBenn wrote:Cheers for clarifying that OP.... even though I think WM was responding to Pamoa's comment...
yes I was. sorry.
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:16 pm

So....

-XML DONE - Image
-Bigger legend - Image
-Red bonus region renamed - Image

Anything else that needs attention?

Large Version 11
Small Version 4
Major WidowMakers

Re: [Official]Centerscape Lrg(v11)/Sml (v4) / XML pg 1,10

Postby pamoa on Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:00 am

Nothing except I'm missing the old middle-earth map :cry:
Go to FF O:)
Good job =D>

Maybe just your name Widowmaker it's disappearing...
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:41 am

pamoa wrote:Nothing except I'm missing the old middle-earth map :cry:
Go to FF O:)
Good job =D>

Maybe just your name Widowmaker it's disappearing...
Nope. It is fine. I had to scale it down so much and the ambigram for my name gets really hard to read at small scales. it is fine.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Optimus Prime on Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:51 pm

I can't see anything. I gave it a once over just now. Looks like you are good to go, WM.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby MrBenn on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:43 pm

The legend text on the small map looks a bit stark.. it seems to pop out rather than blend in... Other than that, I'd say we're ready to rock and roll ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas